• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry running on nVIDIA 6800 Ultra

neptunes

FarCry7.jpg

FarCry0002_o.jpg

FC_Cooler_1_HDR_o.jpg

FC_Training_1_HDR.jpg

FC_Catacombs_1_HDR_o.jpg

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
That looks awful. Nothing like what I just got done playing.

Takuan

Looks like plasticy shit =(

Agreed, and what doesn't look like plastic shit looks the same on my friend's Ti4200 (it doesn't run nearly as well, obviously, but still). I prefer Half Life 2's look over this.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
HL2 seems to have a certain "grit" look to it. I think its mainly in the textures and the way they use lighting. The Unreal 3.0 engine does a great job at looking real, without the plastic gloss that Far Cry has. I can't wait for the games using it.

Also, the only thing I like in these Far Cry screens is the HDR lighting which HL2 will be using also.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I really like the new lighting effects. The usage of displacement mapping in the first two pics looks pretty solid as well...

Of course, it's still Far Cry so it isn't as if there is any reason to get excited over it. I mean, it ALREADY looked incredible...that wasn't what needed help.

SKluck

Banned
Did they release the new displacement/normal/whateverthefuck mapping patch yet? Any ETA on that? It works on the 9800pro afaik, so I want to see it.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
The Unreal 3.0 engine does a great job at looking real, without the plastic gloss that Far Cry has.
Eh, it doesn't look like plastic but I do think it looks a bit like clay. Clay is better than plastic, but still kind of unnatural. Don't get me wrong, I'm still stupidfied by the technology, I am just waiting for it to be ultilized properly art-wise.

Of course, I'm pretty picky about things as it is. I don't like overly even-tone lighting that so many other people enjoy so much on X-Box. Sure it's real and not emulated, but it looks like florescent lighting to me, kind of static and boring.

Boy, I hope the next, next-generation of graphics engines are even better at normal mapping, and can maybe make everything look like paper mache!

Pimpbaa

The specular lighting (the shininess is not the normal mapping) on the characters in far cry are definitely out of whack. Their whole bodies have the same level of shininess which is the problem.

Top Bottom