• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

False "saving" with switching to PC

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
This has been indisputably true for years with steam sales.

You can get a PC equal to this gen consoles for less than current gen consoles. Look up the potato masher, which actually plays Fallout 4 better than the PS4 and is cheaper than it.

implying the current consoles are actually decent? nice

pc is a better investment for sure, and yes you can play tetris on your raspberry pi so it's cheaper, but it can also scale way up past the consoles too

Man your x360 game prices are way too high lol

Sonic Generations $50
Portal 2 $60?

Haven't spent more than $48 on a new release since Best Buy started their discount program.

real world price you at best save $30

he's talking at launch for prices, and paying to get discounts is not something everyone does on consoles. at all.

vilmer_

You can get a PC equal to this gen consoles for less than current gen consoles. Look up the potato masher, which actually plays Fallout 4 better than the PS4 and is cheaper than it.

Why would you ever want to do that though. Just to say you can? If you're going to play games on the computer go big or go home.

SparkTR

(1) Then do people "save" money on Black Friday when they buy electronics that they would not have bought if they weren't on sale?

They save money when they buy an electronic that they wanted on Black Friday for 50% off that they would otherwise have had to buy at full price any other day. Seriously, why are you arguing this, it makes no sense.

PC gaming can be cheaper if you know how to shop smart, but the lack of standardization is what keeps turning me away. Everyone I know who games on PC seems to spend more time trying to get games to run on their rig than, y'know, actually playing them. Besides, a lot of the games I'm interested in simply aren't on PC (Uncharted, most of Halo, anything Nintendo, etc) and PC exclusives tend to be technical sims and RTSs which I've never cared for.

Optimizing those settings are the longest 15 seconds of my life I tell you.

Why would you ever want to do that though. Just to say you can? If you're going to play games on the computer go big or go home.

some people either don't care that much about technical specs (sure as hell plenty don't considering stuff you see in 60fps vs 30fps threads and DF threads) and/or can't afford it

I like how so many pc builds leave the cost of the OS out

either get windows cheap on reddit, reuse a key from an old machine you have, or install linux

Fat4all

Banned
I responded to someone that mentioned Batman and brought in my point-of-view. Saying if I buy Game A because it is on sale, I now feel comfortable to buy Game B because it is also on sale. This is with the assumption that your spending habits would be influenced by sales. Now if a person is comfortable with Title A and only Title A then there is no question. But if a person has interests in Title B but only would buy it if it is on sale then do they save money if they would have not bought it prior to a sale.

You're still saving $60 in a situation where you'd otherwise spend $120. If a person decides $60 is too much to spend and instead they buy it for cheaper on PC, why would they still spend that $60 if it wasn't in their budget to do so?

And if they indeed did want both games, then it's a value added. People don't just go on steam and say "Wow, that game sure is cheap! I need to buy something else now..." They just buy it.

Nzyme32

When I had my full PC setup up till 2012 (which I had to sell due to some feared health costs at the time) and even now on the laptop that I am using till the new build next year, PC gaming has been "cheaper" than it would have been on console regardless. However I am not focused only on the "AAA" gaming you suggest in the OP, so this might not be as relevant.

Outside the upfront £700 I spent on the original system back in 2007, I simply put aside the money that would have gone on Xbox Live, and decided to use it as a way to continually upgrade my system every 2 or 3 years, just by choice rather than necessity. Each upgrade was less than 2 years of Live, around £60 to £75 depending on what was being bought and what the original components sold for. That would have kept working to date.

As for the games, they have always been cheaper on day 1 than the consoles on the occasions that I did spend day one, whether "AAA" or otherwise. Shopping always varies depending on prices but I only shop at authorised sellers (which the OP seems to suggest is always shady, which is not the case), be it GoG, GMG, Humble, Nuuvem or even just Steam itself. Generally day one I can expect a between £10 - 20 saving over the respective console release.

However due to this, and due to the sheer wealth of games available on the platform - there is practically no reason any more to be focused on pre-orders and day 1 game buying particularly for "AAA" games due to all the season pass and dlc shit. Moreover, there is practically no reason to be so laser focused on "AAA" titles. Just due to the games alone, I'll be busy with everything from mid-tier to indie and older titles that there are simply tons of excellent content to buy that are more worthwhile to me - making it all the easier to set aside most of the "AAA" games that are quite honestly dull and monotonous to me the majority of the time, to a later date.

If you were to only focus on those, at least in the UK the result is still significantly cheaper games day 1, and due to the mechanics of the PC market - the wealth of competition and sales, the games go on sale more often than console counterparts, generally with a bigger discount, sooner, as long as you are willing to wait a little for that to start.

Ultimately if you are saying "saving with switching to PC" if you are taking the system into account and are doing something like I was, you won't see the "saving" till much later on due to the initial cost. If you are not doing as I was, you'd probably see savings a lot quicker with out Xbox Live / PS+, cheaper games (at least in the UK), but then the issue comes with what sort of system you started with and what your preferences are to upgrade moving forward. I have friends still using their original 2007 builds, using only second hand parts to keep building when they feel like it. They have definitely saved a ton.

Admodieus

Man your x360 game prices are way too high lol

Sonic Generations $50
Portal 2 $60?

Haven't spent more than $48 on a new release since Best Buy started their discount program.

real world prices you at best saved $30

Those were the prices of the 360 versions of the games when I bought them. Portal 2 I got for $45 because the game was only $50 on PC, and pre-ordering gave you another $5 off. Sonic Generations was discounted by $30 on Green Man Gaming in the week leading up to release. Neither of those discounts was available on the 360 on Day 1. Obviously, if you wait weeks or months any game will drop in price on any platform, which is why I specified this was the 360 price the day I bought the game for PC.

There is better value in gaming on PC.

Games are generally cheaper on PC.

You can, of course, still buy so much that you spend more than you would have on a console, so you would not be saving money.

Are these terms acceptable to you

I agree completely with these terms and never once argued otherwise. My argument is that because PC opens up more option for spending and user habits are targeted by marketing of sales that you cannot say "You save more money"without taking into consideration that this is a situational thing. PC gamer is cheaper, that is the better phrase. Not you "save money" with PC, those are two different sentences with different meanings if we were to consider that gamer buying habits would change when switching to PC, and no one would be able to assume if they would "save" money long-term.

It is undeniable that they would pay less for more games. But would they buy the same amount of games on a different platform?

They save money when they buy an electronic that they wanted on Black Friday for 50% off that they would otherwise have had to buy at full price any other day. Seriously, why are you arguing this, it makes no sense.

Please let me know if this doesn't make sense to you:

(1) You can wait for an item you want to go on sale and purchased it
(2) An item can go on sale that you was not initially interested in, but because it is discounted, you purchased it
(3) An item goes on sale you don't want, you don't purchase it

In scenario 2 you do not "save" money. You spent money, less money, on an item that price was so good you jumped on it. Marketing and price management influence decision buying.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
What kind of 1st grade comparison is that? I mean, "you're not really saving because you're buying a game versus not buying (nor owning and thus not playing, duh) a game at all"? No shit, you don't say?! lol
The only fair comparison is item per item, and game per the same game you save A TON by buying it on PC.
Also let's move the goalpost further like some posters already did, shall we? The cost of legit Windows (paid $15 for a legit key on Reddit, just know where to look to buy the reliable ones) or a display? Really now, a display monitor? It isn't mandatory, if all you're doing is a comparison vs consoles then just hook your PC to your TV via hdmi, same as a console. An "SSD here and there"? I constantly see people here replacing the internal HDD on ps4 (with SSDs even) or hooking up 2TB external HDD to X1.

I do not currently own a really capable HTPC since my gfx card is old (served me right for all of last gen and smoked PS360 of course) so I don't really buy new games there but own a PS4, Xbox 1, Wii U and I'm spending more than ever.

That's without even touching the remasters bc's problem, something that isn't there on PC at all basically so no more double or even triple dipping on games you already own but are now out with better resolution and framerate and some minor enhancements here and there.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
You were comparing a current gen console to a decent PC. I gave you an example that costs $350 and outperforms current gen consoles on a game to game basis.

thx for the link because that pc is a great deal for anyone wanting to jump into pc gaming

Josman

You're saying console gaming is cheaper because you can't afford most games you want to play and you don't have to spend money on them? That's ridiculous considering your argument is centered around the type of gamer that plays AAA games on release or close to. These type of gamers will want to play a lot more games than your average casual and on PC they can simply get the new "AAA" games you're talking about for a price that is still cheaper, and just buy the older games he missed and put them on queue for an abyssmal price compared to consoles, a choice you rarely have on consoles.

Just avoid buying games just because they're on sale unless you're gonna play it.

This is worse when you're a gamer who doesn't live in the USA where retail is more expensive, for example: I bought MGSV, Witcher 3 and Dragon Ball Xenoverse for around $90 USD, If at the time I wanted to buy the same games for consoles it would have been $200 USD.

I've also spent a total of $250 on Steam and I have 43 games of which I've played 21, those games I would have bought them on Playstation anyway, used or on sale, and I bet I would have spent more than double on them.

RM8

Lol, I buy games before launch for low prices all the time. You don't even need to use shady sites, lots of mainstream stores have nice deals prior to release.

I agree completely with these terms and never once argued otherwise. My argument is that because PC opens up more option for spending and user habits are targeted by marketing of sales that you cannot say "You save more money"without taking into consideration that this is a situational thing. PC gamer is cheaper, that is the better phrase. Not you "save money" with PC, those are two different sentences with different meanings if we were to consider that gamer buying habits would change when switching to PC, and no one would be able to assume if they would "save" money long-term.

It is undeniable that they would pay less for more games. But would they buy the same amount of games on a different platform?

Well I'm glad we have settled this hilariously semantic argument! Just find/replace "save money" with "cheaper games" in future threads and you'll be OK.

You're saying console gaming is cheaper .

No, I am not.

Well I'm glad we have settled this hilariously semantic argument! Just find/replace "save money" with "cheaper games" in future threads and you'll be OK.

This thread isn't a personal issue I have that I wanted to let our frustration to GAF. I wanted people opinion on the thought that there is a difference between saving money vs buying something cheaper that you initially would not have bought. I know the difference, but it seems that a lot of PC gamers use those thoughts interchangeably.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
epic memes, good quality contributions here bro :)

a prebuilt using used(?) parts isn't going to be mass produced by a single dude

just like everyone's going to jump on steam OS when they're overclocking their scavenged i5s :^)

like i've been saying, anyone looking to play pc games is going to be paying more than the 300$ cost of a ps4 or w/e

and that's fine

I've only paid for game in full-price once this year, and once last year. Fallout 4 and DA Inquisition.

Got Witcher 3 for free from nvidia bundle, bought GTA V cheap from nuuvem, Zestiria for $27 from other region gifting, bought Batman for $7 and MGS V for $30 from nvidia codes. Those are pre-orders.

like i've been saying, anyone looking to play pc games is going to be paying more than the 300$ cost of a ps4 or w/e

and that's fine

But the point is, you do not have to if you do not want to. I prefer, and lot's of people do, to go all out with PC hardware. But if you just want that console experience and do not buy into the idea of investing in a PC, an ever cheapening $350 potato masher could be something to consider.

SparkTR

Please let me know if this doesn't make sense to you:

(1) You can wait for an item you want to go on sale and purchased it
(2) An item can go on sale that you was not initially interested in, but because it is discounted, you purchased it
(3) An item goes on sale you don't want, you don't purchase it

In scenario 2 you do not "save" money. You spent money, less money, on an item that price was so good you jumped on it. Marketing and price management influence decision buying.

Then don't do that? Get counseling if you have poor impulse control, that's a condition that's named and treatable I believe, and it's effects are much more wide spread than just gaming. If you want a product (AAA or otherwise) you'll usually be able to get it cheaper for PC, for price conscious gamers there's more options than ever to get a great deal on PC for the product you want compared to the scarcity of equivalent options on consoles.

I like how so many pc builds leave the cost of the OS out

Considering that's a one time purchase every few years at the most (I've skipped every other version myself), and consoles have to pay for online play every year, I think it more than balances out.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Considering that's a one time purchase every few years at the most (I've skipped every other version myself), and consoles have to pay for online play every year, I think it more than balances out.

i mean if we're getting all technical in this thread u don't need to pay for online on any of the consoles :^)

Steel

Banned

Your argument is basically that those who have no self control and only buy AAA games won't stop themselves from buying games on PC to spend the same amount of money they would otherwise, and then you use that point to save that PC gaming doesn't save people money. Right.

Even in this fringe case, they're still getting more for their money.

i mean if we're getting all technical in this thread u don't need to pay for online on any of the consoles :^)

Speaking of, if we're going put paid online head to head with an OS, paid online is more expensive in the run of a console.

213372bu

Banned
(1) Then do people "save" money on Black Friday when they buy electronics that they would not have bought if they weren't on sale?

(2) Agree with this point

(3) I agree with this but I mentioned that I wanted this to address your typical console player that buys AAA on release

I'll just use your numbering or whatever.

(1) Yes, by definition you "save" by obtaining a product but with a reduced price. You buy that *thing* because you find it of value , (ie: you buy a washing machine to reduce the amount of stress and time it takes to wash clothes.)

Whenever a consumer purchases something they accept a value that is put upon the item they buy. By buying two AAA games of similar quality for $60 as opposed to one AAA game, of a similar quality, you are obtaining more "value" for the price you are willing to spend on games.

(3) If we're talking a typical console AAA consumer, then their habits would reflect that. You'd probably expect them to only buy AAA games and thus only spend that discounted amount they want on "games".

If we're talking the target Steam purchaser, with tons of games purchased, as long as they get the value out of their games they purchase they are "saving" by obtaining a vast majority of games at a certain price point (ie:$200) as opposed to consoles where they would get less money by purchasing games that are less cheap.
--

Either way, it's not "inherit" that one would spend money saved on other games, thus it isn't the fault of the nature of PC.

I'd say most people who budget or buy games on a "normal" basis would set up games they want and use the money they saved to the rest of their expenses. Again, they are "saving" because they get the full benefit of playing/enjoying those games at a lower total cost that could be used on the essentials.

Would someone deny that marketing and price management influence decision making for consumers?

I am not arguing that PC gaming is more expensive than console.

My original post focused on buying habits, perhaps a lot of people who compare it to first grade logic do not believe that marketing influences them and that when they see a sale and they decide to purchase something it is their own decision rather than one influenced by lower pricing. Thus going to the conclusion a lot of people mention: it depends. But by having that conclusion you would have to say "PC gaming is cheaper per game" not "It saves you money."

A lot of you all seem to be arguing: "Don't buy it then, have self-control" but is this the typical PC gamer on gaf (based on threads). It is easy not to reflect on spending habits but honestly think about how marketing influence you and others.
idk, "rich with uncontrollable spending but wants to be cheap" sounds like gaf's Steam backlog thread :^)

Thank you for making this link. . my post honestly stems from a lot of gaf backlog threads. .but it is too specific somehow.

I mean, the implication is you save money versus a comparable situation on consoles, not that you're saving money versus not spending any money at all. Who would even think that's the case?

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Would someone deny that marketing and price management influence decision making for consumers?

My original post focused on buying habits, perhaps a lot of people who compare it to first grade logic do not believe that marketing influences them and that when they see a sale and they decide to purchase something it is their own decision rather than one influenced by lower pricing. Thus going to the conclusion a lot of people mention: it depends. But by having that conclusion you would have to say "PC gaming is cheaper per game" not "It saves you money."

Thank you for making this link. . my post honestly stems from a lot of gaf backlog threads. .but it is too specific somehow.

brah if u wanted to make a "lol backlogs" thread just do it

someone else has prolly already done it tho

jax

Banned
I get literally every AAA PC game day one, have never spent a dime above $40 for each game. Just gotta be frugal about it.

Steel

Banned

The marketing on PC is the same as the marketing on consoles, so I don't your point.

Top Bottom