• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 23 VR mode will be exclusive to PCVR (will not support PSVR2)

Wonko_C

Angry Season 3 GIF by SuccessionHBO

And I don't even have a PS5/PSVR2. C'mon devs, don't let VR die.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Oh sure, there are more hardcore sim racers on PCVR than GT7 is, but in terms of a seamless, easy set up, with a high degree of visual fidelity, I’ve found GT7 to be head and shoulder above the sometimes very finicky bullshit you’ve got to go through to get PCVR racing sims working at their maximum potential. It’s crazy of EA not to make a PSVR2 port of this game.
No I meant Automobilista 2 is infamous for its wholistic and seamless VR integration (and also has stellar Formula modes). If you've been into PCVR as you say I'm kinda surprised this is news. But yeah, I've heard rumors about GT7 also being good :)

Anyway, to be fair to this topic, I don't think F1 23 VR is a huge loss for PSVR2, I might not even bother to play it on PC in the end. It's mostly a trash franchise to me.

With that said, would it really take that much resources to put in a PsVR2 mode..?

His point wasn't confusing at all. Wat!
Thanks for being so helpful Mr Big Brain.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
Really really puzzling decision given how heavily marketed GT7 is with the PS VR2, and how pretty much everyone who's gotten a PS VR2 for GT7 would almost certainly get this game too. But hey, at least it's on PC VR, so if you want you can enjoy it there easily enough.

Crayon

Really really puzzling decision given how heavily marketed GT7 is with the PS VR2, and how pretty much everyone who's gotten a PS VR2 for GT7 would almost certainly get this game too. But hey, at least it's on PC VR, so if you want you can enjoy it there easily enough.

Errr.... got to admit despite my protest I wouldn't get it because I already have gt7. It'd be different if I was more into F1 or GT7VR did not exist. As it stands, it seems like I'd be getting a lesser raccing game.

When is the last time codies did a touring car game? Now that I would look into, but again, only with vr.

Killer8

Seems really idiotic considering GT7 is one of the major selling points of the headset. It's not like racing is some niche genre in VR.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
PC getting the exclusive over PS5 for once is pretty damn ironic. How the turntables

it's also a shame on EA's part since PSVR2 integration can't be that hard to skip it over PC. That being said i'd hope they'll add it in an update later down the line
I’ve played F1 2022 on PC VR, as well as Assetto Corsa and iRacing. All on a 3070 at max settings.

None of them are as good as GT7 on PSVR2. For multiple reasons. This is a really stupid decision by EA.

Comparing the two.... Yeah no. GT7 has a long way to go to catch up to what can be done on PC with mods. It's great but don't call it *that* great

Last edited:

Crayon

There could be any number of reasons from time, to budget, to contracts but this does show that every 3p game is not necessarily going to hit psvr2.

Meh, I have no interest in this without PSVR2 support.

PSVR2 is easily the best consumer VR headset on the market now and skipping out on it is a huge L IMO.

I have a high-end PC with a 4090 and I still won't be picking this up for PC because I don't support companies taking Ls like this.

The VR mode in the current game sucks ass and performs like shit so I have no hope for codemasters to do anything good with PSVR2 anyway.

Sucks anyway, will be skipping it on both PC and PS, its the same game every year anyway.
As cool it is. I have to agree. The performance sucks arse. I have very little faith in 23.

Minsc

Gold Member
Isn't that valid for every single VR game description?

Half Life Alyx looks mind blowing in the headset compared to 2d videos, etc.

Not really I guess, given No Man's Sky actually looks way better in the 2D videos than in VR, like one of the complaints comparing NMS from PS VR1 to PS VR2 in a side by side was in no way does it look that good in VR lol (from people who have the game on PS VR2).

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Not really I guess, given No Man's Sky actually looks way better in the 2D videos than in VR, like one of the complaints comparing NMS from PS VR1 to PS VR2 in a side by side was in no way does it look that good in VR lol (from people who have the game on PS VR2).

Not what i'm talking about. Not the "2d version" vs "VR version", but the 2d video of a VR game. It's better with the headset on. The sacrifices made to reach VR frametimes and resolution, some botched jobs too, is another topic.

Minsc

Gold Member
Not what i'm talking about. Not the "2d version" vs "VR version", but the 2d video of a VR game. It's better with the headset on. The sacrifices made to reach VR frametimes and resolution, some botched jobs too, is another topic.

Yeah I'm pretty sure that the comparison video that's floating around comparing PS VR1 to PS VR2 is using the off screen footage from VR, that's what I'm referring to as 2D. It just looks way worse in the headset than output to the TV / watched on a PC monitor in a comparison.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I’ve played F1 2022 on PC VR, as well as Assetto Corsa and iRacing. All on a 3070 at max settings.

None of them are as good as GT7 on PSVR2. For multiple reasons. This is a really stupid decision by EA.
This it shits on all those vr racers they are shit compared to psvr2 gt7 this is a money thing.

Sony paid a LOT to make this as good as it is on psvr2

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

If we had a thread for every VR game that was exclusive to PC, then we wouldn't have much time to talk about anything else

Justin9mm

Have you actually used PSVR2? Because videos dont convey how good it is.
I have PCVR with 3080 gaming rig and PSVR2 with GT7, and he is right.

GT7 does have some catching up to do and it's not the second coming of Jesus Christ. You either not playing your PCVR right or you have some sort of placebo effect going on with the PSVR2. GT7 is good but it does not shit all over other PC VR racers lol.

Last edited:

sncvsrtoip

Series is weak for years, no big loss when there is gt7 tough I would probably buy it with psvr2 support, but also quite happy to keep 70 euro ;d

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

My friend was always telling me PSVR1 was always too weak to run F1 games. I'll ask him again for his excuse about no PSVR2 support.

In my opinion if Sony asked EA politely (and gave them some money to finance the port) it would be possible. And having bigger games is what can get you new customers for your expensive piece of hardware.

Last edited:

Filben

It's not even a sim no matter how hard they try to sell it with real drivers playing it. So sim racers being mostly on PC won't apply here. Most sim racers won't be playing F1.

However, after the shit show F1 22 was and seeing how they go full Netflix Drive to Survive style with 23 I'm not interested any more. F1 21 will probably the last good F1 game made by Codemasters.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I have PCVR with 3080 gaming rig and PSVR2 with GT7, and he is right.

GT7 does have some catching up to do and it's not the second coming of Jesus Christ. You either not playing your PCVR right or you have some sort of placebo effect going on with the PSVR2. GT7 is good but it does not shit all over other PC VR racers lol.

Where did I say it shit all over PC VR racers? 😂 You don’t win an argument by putting words in the other persons mouth.

What I said was that GT7 is an easier, more seamless experience with better graphical fidelity, and is technically superior. I also have a VR PC rig on a 3070 and a Ryzen 5900. In terms of the overall experience, PSVR2 is better.

Justin9mm

Where did I say it shit all over PC VR racers? 😂 You don’t win an argument by putting words in the other persons mouth.

What I said was that GT7 is an easier, more seamless experience with better graphical fidelity, and is technically superior. I also have a VR PC rig on a 3070 and a Ryzen 5900. In terms of the overall experience, PSVR2 is better.
Well I beg to differ, my PCVR is an easier more seamless experience then PSVR2, graphical fidelity better? Slightly. The PSVR2 user interface with the PS5 is clunky at best. It's not easier and it's not 'seamless' at all. Takes me longer to get into a PSVR2 game then PC. You're doing PCVR wrong.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Well I beg to differ, my PCVR is an easier more seamless experience then PSVR2, graphical fidelity better? Slightly. The PSVR2 user interface with the PS5 is clunky at best. It's not easier and it's not 'seamless' at all. Takes me longer to get into a PSVR2 game then PC. You're doing PCVR wrong.

How on earth can any PC build of any game be easier than using a console? All the finnicky bullshit you have to go through to get games running at their max on PC is the reason why I prefer to game on console when I have the chance. At least you concede the graphics are better.

ShadowLag

It costs money to add PSVR support and they don’t think they’ll make that money back. The reason isn’t arbitrary.

They've already got a VR mode for PC, they only need to adapt it, which isn't nearly as costly. They're also losing customers who only wanted to play it on PSVR2, so I'm not sure how well that balances out. It's not good to exclude finished content from a platform that can support it, regardless.

Baki

They've already got a VR mode for PC, they only need to adapt it, which isn't nearly as costly. They're also losing customers who only wanted to play it on PSVR2, so I'm not sure how well that balances out. It's not good to exclude finished content from a platform that can support it, regardless.
They've probably crunched the numbers and decided the time & cost is not worth it. It's also possible that implementing PSVR2 support is not possible at launch due to available resources. With no exclusivity deal in place, I can only assume it's related to one of these issues. Maybe in a few months, when PSVR2 audience grows, or devs have more time, they decide it's worth it and they release an update.

hlm666

And I don't even have a PS5/PSVR2. C'mon devs, don't let VR die.
How is that letting VR die? Was capcom not putting the RE7/8 vr on pc letting VR die? Was Valve not porting HLA to psvr2 letting VR die? Sony shouldn't be paying to make this stuff exclusive if they don't want to end up in a position where a fuckwit publisher like EA could have the brainiac idea that maybe if they withhold VR modes Sony will pay them for it like they have done with other publishers. Lets be totally honest here, pcvr and psvr2 are never going to be the mainstream of VR no matter how frustrating that is for people who want AAA VR games (like me).

This is odd. My guess is EA are holding out for a Sony payment to support psvr2?

I was thinking maybe this was what it is. Maybe Sony's been paying studios to do VR support or giving them favorable royalty pricing.

It sounds like either Sony or EA didn't want a direct comparison to Gran Turismo here. Either Sony didn't want to pay because they don't want to incentivize a racer that isn't GT or EA didn't want F1 to be compared to VR in Gran Turismo.

I'm still interested to see if Sony is planning any big VR push for GT7 for when the movie comes out. I could see a GT7 VR2 bundle at the time, but I can't imagine a price cut so soon.

Top Bottom