• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F train derails in the NYC subway system (19 injured)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The freakin' MTA always increasing prices but never improve service. Glad no one was hurt in this. I bet trains will be crazy for another few months due to this incident.

That's bs. I mean maybe not enough for you to be happy but they have an entire ad campaign running about all the improvements they do make.

hbkdx12

Damn that's crazy. Glad it wasn't fatal. I take the F/M at 14th street to get to work. Wonder how that'll be on monday

Imagine if this happened on an outdoor/elevated train line *shudders*

I've lived in NYC my entire life and i refuse to give the MTA shit about the overall service given how many millions of people it consistently shuttles around every day but the infrastructure is really lacking and im not suggesting its an easy fix but there really needs to be more attention put on implementing a newer and better infrastructure rather than doing patchwork on a century old system.

Damn that's crazy. Glad it wasn't fatal. I take the F/M at 14th street to get to work. Wonder how that'll be on monday

Imagine if this happened on an outdoor/elevated train line *shudders*

I've lived in NYC my entire life and i refuse to give the MTA shit about the overall service given how many millions of people it consistently shuttles around every day but the infrastructure is really lacking and im not suggesting its an easy fix but there really needs to be more attention put on implementing a newer and better infrastructure rather than doing patchwork on a century old system.

It's not that simple. The system runs 24/7; most other systems close at certain times to do big jobs, we stay open. They might close a station here or there for a year or two to completely renovate, but these things have to be carefully planned as to not cause havoc with other lines.

Loki

Count of Concision
Isn't NYC the wealthiest city in the world? Why is their infrastructure so damn dodgy?

The vast majority of NY's wealth is controlled by the top 1% and taxes aren't what they should be on those folks.

That has nothing to do with improvements in service. They always misrepresent their books, especially around contract time, but they are always making improvements.

That's always been their excuse for fare hikes though. They need more money to make the improvements.

Zona

It's not that simple. The system runs 24/7; most other systems close at certain times to do big jobs, we stay open. They might close a station here or there for a year or two to completely renovate, but these things have to be carefully planned as to not cause havoc with other lines.

The fact that it's 24/7/365 is one of the reasons I love the system. Good on you and your fellow workers keeping it running as well as it dose. And frankly the fare price is mighty competitive compared to driving in, even without the costs associated with the car itself.

hbkdx12

Of course. like i said, it's far from an easy fix but it's a shame to think that the work and improvements that they do implement really is just a drop in the bucket to system with an infrastructure that's not really up to snuff.

Even with the damage the Hurricane Sandy caused, all things considered, it's kind of a miracle that the system weathered the storm (no pun intended) as well as it did

GK86

Homeland Security Fail

Yup. Yesterday is evidence how much chaos is created when part of a line goes down. In order to get home, I had to take the 7 train towards Manhattan to ensure I would get a spot on the train going towards Flushing. It was insane.

Gallbaro

Banned
Idiot political managers, work rules, pensions and health care are the mta's problems in that order.

East Side Access's deep tunnel under GCT is a 2 billion dollar cost because it was easier than having LIRR and Metro North Managers share the same track.

If a LIRR engineer has to switch between an electric to diesel motor at any point in the day he get double pay for the entire day.

And many more...

.GqueB.

Banned
For the number of people they move around, subways are safer than cars by a ridiculous margin. Like it's not even comparable. Incidents like this are extremely rare.
Factually correct.

The freakin' MTA always increasing prices but never improve service. Glad no one was hurt in this. I bet trains will be crazy for another few months due to this incident.
I really hate statements like this. I see improvements all the time and they even post very specific ads about the improvements they make. And aside from that, they post signs near the construction sites laying out what they are doing along with completion dates. It's not perfect but for a system that runs 24/7 is pretty damn great.

You're either blind, deaf, or talking out of your ass.

That's always been their excuse for fare hikes though. They need more money to make the improvements.

Yes, and they do have a valid point, because the system is in constant need of repair. The bullshit is how much money they waste on equipment that's not a good fit for the infrastructure. They make a lot of shady deals with contractors, and overpay for stuff, then tell the riding public and their workers that they need to raise fares and that there's no money for raises.

Factually correct.

I really hate statements like this. I see improvements all the time and they even post very specific ads about the improvements they make. And aside from that, they post signs near the construction sites laying out what they are doing along with completion dates. It's not perfect but for a system that runs 24/7 is pretty damn great.

The main problem with the MTA is every project is over budget and late.

East Side Access is the poster boy for this at this point.

Hollycat

Isn't NYC the wealthiest city in the world? Why is their infrastructure so damn dodgy?

In total wealth? Yes NYC is number 2 after Tokyo. In average income or total wealth per person? Not even close. For the US, that honor goes to Southlake Texas.

Factually correct.

I take the subway all the time. I know the cars have improved and stations look better, but the service feels like its getting worse. Disruptions are weekly, my buses are late almost everyday during the winter. I'm not even exaggerating about the bus thing. My bus is now back to normal once the weather warms up.

The main problem with the MTA is every project is over budget and late.

East Side Access is the poster boy for this at this point.
Nature of public works projects. It's just too inefficient and too regulated. Plus NYCs infrastructure is too old and as a result poorly documented so you'll always find plenty of unexpected problems

The thing is NYC is probably the most expensive city to build things in. Recently we've built the most expensive tower ever, most expensive train station, and most expensive stadium. Cost per mile of building the Second Ave Subway is highest in the world. So MTA is just stuck with that problem. And being completely underfunded

Lunzio

My mom rode the train for the first time in 30 years yesterday because she's extremely paranoid about going underground. She rode the F in the late afternoon - luckily this wasn't the derailed train - then found out about the derailing later that day.

She's never taking a train again.

Nature of public works projects. It's just too inefficient and too regulated. Plus NYCs infrastructure is too old and as a result poorly documented so you'll always find plenty of unexpected problems

The thing is NYC is probably the most expensive city to build things in. Recently we've built the most expensive tower ever, most expensive train station, and most expensive stadium. Cost per mile of building the Second Ave Subway is highest in the world. So MTA is just stuck with that problem. And being completely underfunded
The one thing the MTA is not is underfunded. They really just don't use their money very well because of all the politics that happen

I take the subway all the time. I know the cars have improved and stations look better, but the service feels like its getting worse. Disruptions are weekly, my buses are late almost everyday during the winter. I'm not even exaggerating about the bus thing. My bus is now back to normal once the weather warms up.

I'm sitting here wondering why you would not expect delays in bus service during the winter.

When the streets are clear of snow?

MTA buses are not exempt from freezing temps. Shit breaks down.

On another note, my track brethren are on their game once again. I've just heard that 4 of the 6 derailed cars are back on the rails. If they get the other 2 back on by tonight, there's a slight chance that service could be restored by Monday, albeit very slight chance. Unsung heroes, all of them.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail

On another note, my track brethren are on their game once again. I've just heard that 4 of the 6 derailed cars are back on the rails. If they get the other 2 back on by tonight, there's a slight chance that service could be restored by Monday, albeit very slight chance. Unsung heroes, all of them.

They are working fast. What is the process like to get the trains back on the rails? I mean, I have seen those trains with the cranes on them, but it doesn't seem like there is enough space in the tunnels to use it.

They are working fast. What is the process like to get the trains back on the rails? I mean, I have seen those trains with the cranes on them, but it doesn't seem like there is enough space in the tunnels to use it.

In some of the pics, you'll notice what looks like a console on a stand with joysticks. That's a pneumatic jack; it lifts the train in stages with different sized plates, and moves it back onto the rails. It's very powerful, but tricky to get into place. Very time consuming, but effective. Once the cars are back on the rails they will be towed by diesels to specified yards for investigation.

Alric

Awful but the best thing that could come from this is pressure put on them to finally upgrade or do some major renovation. Sad but I'm sure they'll still just do minimal repairs and be done with it.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
In some of the pics, you'll notice what looks like a console on a stand with joysticks. That's a pneumatic jack; it lifts the train in stages with different sized plates, and moves it back onto the rails. It's very powerful, but tricky to get into place. Very time consuming, but effective. Once the cars are back on the rails they will be towed by diesels to specified yards for investigation.

Ahh very interesting. Thanks dude.

.GqueB.

Banned

I've been riding the subway for a very long time and these subways constantly show improvement. Yea there are delays and yes I hate dealing with shuttle buses but overall, I get where I need to go on time. People like to leave their houses at such a time that everything needs to go perfectly for them to get where they need to go and as a result, once that single thing goes wrong they're fucked and they complain. It's so old at this point.

And complaining about buses? That's the most fragile aspect of this whole system and needs to be planned around. But even then, the MTA recently released a service that will help you out there. Download it and use it. Complaints that have easy solutions are just bizarre to me. It's just complaining while not trying to actually solve your problem. Passive and useless.

Awful but the best thing that could come from this is pressure put on them to finally upgrade or do some major renovation. Sad but I'm sure they'll still just do minimal repairs and be done with it.
Once it's fixed you can be sure that area will be immaculate; you can eat off of the floor. Brand new rails, ties, plates, you name it. The repairs are never minimal, the problem is addressing the issues before things like this happen. They always do the right thing after the fact, that's why they say our rule book is written in blood.

nice! well done!
edit: on a completely unrelated and somewhat sexist note, anyone notice that the train conductors are getting sexier. (well the ladies at least) or at least younger. well back in the day I wouldn't have given a second look but now....

.GqueB.

Banned
nice! well done!
edit: on a completely unrelated and somewhat sexist note, anyone notice that the train conductors are getting sexier. (well the ladies at least) or at least younger. well back in the day I wouldn't have given a second look but now....

No but I noticed the women giving out that religious material inside of the stations are getting WAY hotter. They have stands and everything. It's not just old women sitting in little chairs any more.

God got and upgrade.

No but I noticed the women giving out that religious material inside of the stations are getting WAY hotter. They have stands and everything. It's not just old women sitting in little chairs any more.

God got and upgrade.

Jehova's witness? yeah they kept the young ones in the back, realized it's better marketing. still won't make me consider....

goodcow

You guys take a lot of shit from the public and as a fellow city employee, I want to say thank you for your efforts. However I am curious - when shit hits the fan like this, or Sandy, it's clear that stuff CAN get done at amazing speed. What makes installing something like CBTC along the 7 take so long? Management doing a shitty job? Or do you feel projects like that are done at a quick pace?

pj

Banned
I think the fact that this is big news highlights the rarity of big fuck ups in the system

Holy fuck...in my old area too.

You're not from NYC are you?

Back in the 70s and 80s our trains had straps to hang on to while you're standing.

Thus...

I think the term has existed since at least 1900. Very old subway cars at the transit museum have leather straps

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
More at the link.

The snapped subway rail responsible for a hellish F train derailment was installed just weeks ago, ruling out its age as the cause of the failure, officials said Saturday.

The break in the American-made rail sent the Metropolitan Transportation Authority hustling to locate the rest of the November 2013 batch to ensure there was no widespread problem.

“We’re going to track down other rails from this shipment and see where they went,” said MTA spokesman Adam Lisberg. “And we’re going to closely inspect all other rails in this area.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom