• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ex-Bungie composer Marty ODonnell wins legal fight (document in the OP)

Fuck bungie and activision. Glad Marty won!

Seriously bungie wtf happend to you :(

pterry much came here to post this. WOW

I AM SO DISAPPOINTED IN BUNGIE.

I am now probably going to associate bungie as a company more similarly to activision regarding their shit treatment of others.

Apath

Marty was upset about the initial reveal trailer not using his music. That's a big moment for a game.

Not just one of many commercials leading up to the actual release of the game. So I don't understand your comparison as its not the same situation. It's also Chopin we're talking about in a very specific kind of high concept commercial - I wouldn't be surprised if he had input on that, but obviously that's pure speculation. However, it seems quite different than if Microsoft were to have stepped in and specifically told Marty "none of your music for this, only Chopin."

It also reads as though it was more about the principle of the matter in terms of how Bungie operates as a creative studio, and less about that one specific trailer as an isolated incident. And for the record, Bungie agreed with Marty. They tried to veto Activision's music decision. Their veto was overruled by Activision.
Wasn't it the gameplay trailer we were discussing?

Apath

It was the E3 2013 trailer. Not the gameplay demo. Here is the offending trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Dgt-RwBx9Y

The reveal trailer which was in February and had his music all over it.
Yeah, so why are people arguing with me based on the Halo 3 reveal?

Some guy said people seeing the above footage and never playing the game would associate Destiny with music that wasn't Marty's. I said millions of people saw the Halo 3 commercial as their only exposure and would never play the game. It's not like I was making some huge proclaimation.

It doesn't matter if they hijacked the announcement trailer either. Signing with Activision gave them the rights to do that. Don't like it? Don't sign a contract that required you to bend to the whim of the publisher over decisions you want to make. To the guy who quoted me at the top of the page: Bungie may have agreed with Marty's objection, but it was only Marty who behaved unprofessionally.

SaganIsGOAT

I am still left wondering what changed from this vidoc to now. In the New Beginnings vidoc published April 30th, 2010, Jason Jones is quoted saying this at 5:13

Jason Jones said:
Talking to a publisher a couple months ago, and they asked what I wanted. Like, I just want them to get out of our way, and let us make a game.
Trust that we're going to do something great, give us the money to pay for it... and then get out of our way.

When he said that I was fine they signed with Activison cause it sounded like they were going to get exactly this.

FyreWulff

I am still left wondering what changed from this vidoc to now. In the New Beginnings vidoc published April 30th, 2010, Jason Jones is quoted saying this at 5:13

When he said that I was fine they signed with Activison cause it sounded like they were going to get exactly this.

Activision made a marketing decision. Because they're the publisher.

I'm trying to figure out why people are jumping all the way from Activision making marketing decisions to core level game design decisions...

Deku Tree

I wonder how many employees that left Bungie acted like babies? How many 'embellished' that artistic integrity?

It's no secret that something happened in development that caused many key members leave Bungie. It's no secret that Bungie has been slowly uprooting and fixing issues within the game that should've been there from day 1.

I mean....Bungie fucked up somewhere along the line that caused two key people to leave before launch. There's a point where you stop blaming the people for leaving, and start blaming Bungie and Activision.

I'm just reading the facts of this case, and not talking or thinking about other aspects of the whole Destiny situation. Not sure why you feel the need to imply that I would generalize my argument to lots of other cases.

Some facts of this case:

1) Marty's main argument is that his artistic integrity was violated by taking the music out of a trailer, which is a part of the game that Bungie signed over promotional rights to Activision. Marty was a founder of current Bungie and he knows this very well.

2) On the other hand as has been pointed out MS has made worse decisions against Bungie earlier and there were no similar actions by Marty that we know about.

3) To write music for an entire game series, that will come out over the next ten years, and then to have an expectation that it be released on CD "right away" years before the games come out is a totally nuts expectation no matter what you may or may not have been told.

This guy has been working in the corporate world writing music his whole life. Marty knows how things work. And for him to act out about these things when countless other things like this have almost certainly happened over the course of his career shows that he was looking for a way out of his contract in which he also go paid according to his contract. If he just quit he would not have gotten paid according to his contract. IMO this was first and foremost about money for Marty.

BTW, for me the Destiny soundtrack is very good but it is also the worst soundtrack I have heard come out of Bungie from Marty going all the way back to Halo CE on Xbox. If I am going to listen to one of them in my spare time, the Destiny Soundtrack is the last one that I would pick.

I am not going to comment on Joe Staten because that is all in the realm of speculation, much more-so that this current situation where we have facts from court documents. We know the story was cut and Joe Staten quit. We don't know why. I'm guessing it's because the story was really bad, but of course we can't know that for sure. Stories are cut or changed in game development all the time.

To say all this I want to make it clear that I don't consider Bungie or Activision "blame free" at all. The court documents make it clear that they were also acting badly. But my post is intentionally focused on addressing the Marty side of things because that is what we are talking about.

It says that it's a self-interested world. Marty thought about Marty first, and not Mike, and likewise for Mike. Even though they're a team. With Marty's departure, Mike became audio director. Why would he leave with Marty? Marty is older, richer and more well known in the industry. It's not as simple for Mike.

I'm not saying Marty is innocent. But to try and say he should be blamed, I dunno. It's not like Activision didn't do shady as fuck stuff with Infinity Ward causing most of the team to leave and them getting sued and losing that case. Plus now, you have Vic Deleon, a man who enjoys a great rapport with a lot of people likewise agreeing with Griesemer that Bungie has treated ex employees like shit. Griesemer has always been blunt and truthful about the industry.
We're not exactly sure what those guys are referring to, though, because they haven't been specific. As far as I can tell, no one's saying Marty shouldn't have been fired, just that Bungie wasn't right to not give him his vacation pay, profit-sharing, and stock. I don't think anyone is going to side with Bungie there, just for the fact that the arbitrator didn't.

And you're right that Marty and Mike are in different positions, not just in general, but also within Bungie. If I'm not mistaken, Marty was a member of the board, and had been employed there for almost 20 years; Mike has only become a regular employee there in last few years. If members of the audio team were saying that Marty was being disruptive, that's a pretty serious thing, especially considering his working partner of over 30 years was on that team as well.

mcrommert

Banned
That's the big thing to me. Mike worked with Marty forever. Yet he's still there. You'd think that Marty's other half music wise would have left along with him. Yet he hasn't. This is a man who co-owned a company with Marty too. That says something to me.

My understanding is that Mike is not an employee of bungie...he just co writes the music on contract

Buntachan

Banned
So I was typing up a response when too many things didn't make sense to me in the notes and especially articles by gaming sites. I resolved to read the actual final ruling instead.

I held equity in past companies I worked for so I quickly understood what was going on.

Summary for some of you out there:

1. Marty O'Donnell (henceforth MOD) was possibly entitled to one year's base salary at termination base salary of $165,000. Bungie and MOD settled this out-of-court (see pg. 24, IV., 1)

2. MOD had two types of equity in Bungie, Class-B shares and Common Stock. They would all eventually become Common Stock after the release of the first Destiny game. All shares had to vest over a schedule, so when a person first receives shares or options, it's usually unvested and you can easily lose it under a few conditions. If the shares/options are vested, they now belong to you.

In law, vesting is to give an immediately secured right of present or future deployment. One has a vested right to an asset that cannot be taken away by any third party, even though one may not yet possess the asset.

Marty's could vest in 3 situations; (a) each release of the 5 Destiny games would vest 20% each, (b) if Bungie were bought by a company all shares would vest immediately, and (c) if the employee resigns for "Good Reason" or is terminated without cause after the first retail release date of the first Destiny game, 50% of the unvested shares would vest immediately.

3. MOD could participate in profit sharing depending on how well Destiny performed. He had some profit sharing points allocated to him, and how much he got would depend on the total pool size for the profits and how much points he had compared to others.

What happened was, the arbitrator judged that Bungie accelerated its termination of MOD to be as far apart from the Destiny release as possible so it would weaken MOD's claims on stock and profit share.

Bungie could have opted to give MOD the 20% that would vest upon Destiny's September release, or extended his termination to after the first release which would have given him even more stock (specifically, 60% of his total unvested stock).

The arbitrator basically considered a few things; Bungie's decision to fire and recover all stock, what MOD did that pissed Bungie off, MOD's contribution to Bungie over the years.. and decided that Bungie was being unfair to MOD. And thus, although strictly speaking Bungie did not do anything illegal, the arbitrator ruled in favor of MOD.

MOD finally elected to take what I described in 2.(c), 50% of unvested shares vesting immediately upon termination without cause, which is a total of 192,000 shares. He also won $140,000 in profit share that's due in payment to him this month.

All in all, I now understand why Bungie did this.. because strictly legally speaking, what they did was within legal boundaries. They thought it was black and white. Unfortunately, law is dispensed by human beings and the arbitrator can exercise judgment "in good faith and fair dealing".. and MOD won. I do think it's a fair ruling.

Deku Tree

So I was typing up a response when too many things didn't make sense to me in the notes and especially articles by gaming sites. I resolved to read the actual final ruling instead.

I held equity in past companies I worked for so I quickly understood what was going on.

Summary for some of you out there:

1. Marty O'Donnell (henceforth MOD) was possibly entitled to one year's base salary at termination base salary of $165,000. Bungie and MOD settled this out-of-court (see pg. 24, IV., 1)

2. MOD had two types of equity in Bungie, Class-B shares and Common Stock. They would all eventually become Common Stock after the release of the first Destiny game. All shares had to vest over a schedule, so when a person first receives shares or options, it's usually unvested and you can easily lose it under a few conditions. If the shares/options are vested, they now belong to you.

Marty's could vest in 3 situations; (a) each release of the 5 Destiny games would vest 20% each, (b) if Bungie were bought by a company all shares would vest immediately, and (c) if the employee resigns for "Good Reason" or is terminated without cause after the first retail release date of the first Destiny game, 50% of the unvested shares would vest immediately.

3. MOD could participate in profit sharing depending on how well Destiny performed. He had some profit sharing points allocated to him, and how much he got would depend on the total pool size for the profits and how much points he had compared to others.

What happened was, the arbitrator judged that Bungie accelerated its termination of MOD to be as far apart from the Destiny release as possible so it would weaken MOD's claims on stock and profit share.

Bungie could have opted to give MOD the 20% that would vest upon Destiny's September release, or extended his termination to after the first release which would have given him even more stock (specifically, 60% of his total unvested stock).

The arbitrator basically considered a few things; Bungie's decision to fire and recover all stock, what MOD did that pissed Bungie off, MOD's contribution to Bungie over the years.. and decided that Bungie was being unfair to MOD. And thus, although strictly speaking Bungie did not do anything illegal, the arbitrator ruled in favor of MOD.

MOD finally elected to take what I described in 2.(c), 50% of unvested shares vesting immediately upon termination without cause, which is a total of 192,000 shares. He also won $140,000 in profit share that's due in payment to him this month.

All in all, I now understand why Bungie did this.. because strictly legally speaking, what they did was within legal boundaries. They thought it was black and white. Unfortunately, law is dispensed by human beings and the arbitrator can exercise judgment "in good faith and fair dealing".. and MOD won. I do think it's a fair ruling.

My question is does MOD get to keep his stock or is he forced to sell it? Some privately held companies force you to contractually sell the stock back to them when you no longer work for the company. This hasn't been reported one way or the other. According to the court documents it sounds like MOD has enough to stock to entitle himself to a seat in the board meetings.

Buntachan

Banned
My question is does MOD get to keep his stock or is he forced to sell it? Some privately held companies force you to contractually sell the stock back to them when you no longer work for the company. This hasn't been reported one way or the other. According to the court documents it sounds like MOD has enough to stock to entitle himself to a seat in the board meetings.

You're right it hasn't been reported, so we don't know.

My guess is he gets to hold onto it. It's actually sometimes worse than having to sell it back to the company because otherwise you would have to wait for unique liquidity events to occur to monetize your stock, and this can be years in the making.

In any case I believe they'll learn how to take a step back and maybe be a little more mature. If MOD being at the board meetings does nothing, I'm sure they can figure out a solution together if they want to.

Good for him.

I hate it when companies try to weasel their way out of paying people that helped them get where they are.

I hope he keeps his shares and stays on with Bungie.

Bungie respond

http://venturebeat.com/2015/09/11/b...ty-odonnell-in-response-to-arbitrator-ruling/

Interestingly, Bungie and Ryan do not oppose the order confirming and enforcing the award, which is considered final. Rather, they asked that the award be enforced to all parties, and in its entirety. O’Donnell’s legal counsel, Tom Buscaglia, said he thinks that Bungie is just trying to get a final jab in with their side of the story in the legal history, so that the press can write about it. In other words, the point of the filing appears to be that Bungie wants to say that O’Donnell’s epic win wasn’t as epic as he said it was, Buscaglia said.

Deku Tree

You're right it hasn't been reported, so we don't know.

My guess is he gets to hold onto it. It's actually sometimes worse than having to sell it back to the company because otherwise you would have to wait for unique liquidity events to occur to monetize your stock, and this can be years in the making.

In any case I believe they'll learn how to take a step back and maybe be a little more mature. If MOD being at the board meetings does nothing, I'm sure they can figure out a solution together if they want to.

Article below says:

But O’Donnell did get an award of 192,188 vested stock that Bungie would have otherwise stripped from him. That 50 percent of the shares that he held at the time of his termination. He also received a fraction of the profit-sharing that he would have been entitled to if he had continued working in 2014, 2015, and 2016. (It’s not clear if he didn’t get the full number of shares because they were not vested or not, as Bungie doesn’t say).

Really poorly written but doesn't that indicate that it's not clear whether or not MOD got the full 60% of shares that he was contractually asking for?

Also

Bungie has a limited amount of time to determine how much O’Donnell’s shares are worth. That will be dependent on the valuation of the entire company, and it could be a lot.

That seems to indicate that Bungie needs to value MODs shares and buy them from him... But again it's poorly written. I wonder if an official valuation of Bungie as a company will be made public as a result of all of this hoopla?

Top Bottom