• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolution of Star Fox Games (1993 - 2017)

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The Game Evolution Presents: Evolution of Star Fox Games from 1993 to 2017. This video contains all Star Fox games in the series including the handheld games and Starfox 2 for SNES Classic Edition.

0:06 Star Fox (1993)
0:29 Star Fox 64 (1997)
0:55 Star Fox Adventures (2002)
1:20 Star Fox Assault (2005)
1:45 Star Fox Command (2006)
2:05 Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
2:25 Star Fox Guard (2016)
2:51 Star Fox Zero (2016)
3:19 Star Fox 2 (2017

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Star Fox Assault is seriously underrated. The flying sections are excellent. The soundtrack is excellent. I enjoy the story and lore in this one. Even the on-foot sections aren't nearly as bad as many make it out to be. Wish they moved forward with this style.

Dr Bass

Talk about a squandered series. Nintendo could have made this a great bit of fun with a serialized feel, and a new installment every gen. Using it for gimmicks and constantly rehashing the setting/conflict basically killed it IMO.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
If I had to choose a SF it’s 64 hearing fox and co utter phrases like “do a barrel roll” what? Just makes sense.
star fox GIF

Animagic

Banned

The Game Evolution Presents: Evolution of Star Fox Games from 1993 to 2017. This video contains all Star Fox games in the series including the handheld games and Starfox 2 for SNES Classic Edition.

0:06 Star Fox (1993)
0:29 Star Fox 64 (1997)
0:55 Star Fox Adventures (2002)
1:20 Star Fox Assault (2005)
1:45 Star Fox Command (2006)
2:05 Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
2:25 Star Fox Guard (2016)
2:51 Star Fox Zero (2016)
3:19 Star Fox 2 (2017

I really like most of these for one reason or another.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
I think people want a new Star Fox game without actually wanting one.

Would you pay $50-60 for a game like SF64 in 2021?
Absolutely! SF64 is still a very fun game. If they would cut the bullshit and create a sequel with care and effort, put in Online play and a contemporary presentation, it would be worth the asking price of $50-60. The lore in Star Fox is also very underutilized IMO.

Naked Lunch

More like devolution.

SF64 was the pinnacle. No clue why Nintendo cant use that exact formula with like 100times more branching paths, tons of levels, and up the difficulty.

Assault was one of the biggest disappointments of my gaming career. Fuck those on foot sections. So dumb.

mcjmetroid

Evolution is a strong word.

Star Far assault was going in the right direction but executed a little poorly. It was game over after that.

An on rails budget title is about all people will go for these days and Nintendo doesn't really do cheap games.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
An on rails budget title is about all people will go for these days and Nintendo doesn't really do cheap games.
I mean, it's not like they couldn't bump up the production values. A modern Star Fox should have a modern presentation with memorable set pieces.

Treasure pulled it off on the Wii:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Am I the only one that likes star fox adventures but hates the other flight combat games.
Hopefully. SFA is a mediocre game and it turned Fox into Nintendo’s Sonic. His attitude in that game is insufferable. But I do get a laugh every time out of the way he says “I gotta stop him!” when Andross appears, lol.

I only played SF, 64 and Adventures. SNES SF is by far my favorite. Childhood memories and all that, yeah, but it was a solid game and the soundtrack is unlike anything Nintendo ever did since. 64’s charge/bounce shot never clicked with me, and the PAL version was seriously unimpressive.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Hopefully. SFA is a mediocre game and it turned Fox into Nintendo’s Sonic. His attitude in that game is insufferable. But I do get a laugh every time out of the way he says “I gotta stop him!” when Andross appears, lol.

I only played SF, 64 and Adventures. SNES SF is by far my favorite. Childhood memories and all that, yeah, but it was a solid game and the soundtrack is unlike anything Nintendo ever did since. 64’s charge/bounce shot never clicked with me, and the PAL version was seriously unimpressive.
Yeah. My problem with the game isn't even the game itself, my problem is that it holds the Star Fox name. I mean, Star Fox is known for being space bombast, shooting with lasers, using advanced technology, etc.

...but in Adventures...
Like why am I fighting with a stick? Why do I use forms of magic? Why I have to deal with dinosaurs and other prehistoric forms of life?
It's like they did a complete 180 with the lore of the franchise. It's STAR Fox, not DINO Fox.

MAtgS

I legitimately want Ubisoft to make a full Starfox game with Starlink's gameplay. A full open world Lylat with exploreable Corneria and Venom sounds good to me.

Yeah. My problem with the game isn't even the game itself, my problem is that it holds the Star Fox name. I mean, Star Fox is known for being space bombast, shooting with lasers, using advanced technology, etc.

...but in Adventures...
Like why am I fighting with a stick? Why do I use forms of magic? Why I have to deal with dinosaurs and other prehistoric forms of life?
It's like they did a complete 180 with the lore of the franchise. It's STAR Fox, not DINO Fox.

It's such a bizarre game that it almost deserves to be played. It's not necessarily bad either, just strange all around. The graphics were really great for the time, and it has some neat ideas that suffered from split attention for Star Fox being shoved in there. I'd love to play the intended Dinosaur Planet that never was.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
It's such a bizarre game that it almost deserves to be played. It's not necessarily bad either, just strange all around. The graphics were really great for the time, and it has some neat ideas that suffered from split attention for Star Fox being shoved in there. I'd love to play the intended Dinosaur Planet that never was.
Graphics are indeed very impressive for a 2002 release. The fur looks better than in a lot of 360/PS3 games.

Top Bottom