• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolution 2015 IOT2I - The GODS have fallen - Final day July 19th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lulubop

A dark horse is only a dark horse if it's playing against the big names, in this case yes, it's exciting as fuck.

Unfortunately all these moments at EVO were off screen, that's why Marvel was so underwhelming this year.

The top 8 was amazing. Apologyman vs Rayray is like the best Marvel set ever.

A dark horse is only a dark horse if it's playing against the big names, in this case yes, it's exciting as fuck.

Unfortunately all these moments at EVO were off screen, that's why Marvel was so underwhelming this year.

So how do you explain KBR beating JWong? That's a dark horse going against a big name, and it happened on stream.

The only downside to Marvel was so many additional great matches happening off screen, but there was plenty of hype in what we saw, and definitely plenty of hype in the top 8. I don't agree with the idea that it's only truly interesting with people you know. I think it's far more interesting to have a game that's on its way out like MvC3 suddenly have a resurgence of all-new blood and the winner having a different kind of team than usual. It breathes new life into the game and renews the original energy.

I know a lot of people were kinda feeling "meh" about Marvel because they thought the top 8 were going to be basically nothing but the usual top 8 players, but hype set in once the gods started falling one by one. I don't see how that's less interesting than the same people winning over and over.

mbpm1

Wait, some girl was being harassed on the srkevo1 channel not some random other one? That's not going to go over well...

I wouldn't say she was harrassed cos she was hanging around and talking to people on the stream station all night.

Not sure they had to post her instagram or w/e though, lol. But she did give it out.

ironmang

It's just more entertaining watching the famous guys playing in the big stage.

Just imagine a champions league final with Porto X Atl Madrid for example. Shit would be a disaster in terms of audience. Regardless of the participants merits, people want big names period.

KBR seems like he cares more about the game than all of the big names so people should be applauding that kind of enthusiasm. They should be mad at the top players for not putting in the time and thinking they can skate into top 8 without changing anything. It's a good thing that there are people who want to take them down.

Seyavesh

They should be mad at the top players for not putting in the time and thinking they can skate into top 8 without changing anything. It's a good thing that there are people who want to take them down.

fchamp and justin were literally playing all week long the week before evo w/ rayray and apologyman (aka 2nd and 3rd), what

Infiltration you didn't win but you're my champion :( His play was phenomenal. He put in so much work against the healbots, the Abel pick was so hype, and using Juri to better punish the heals was brilliant. And when he got stuck using his barely tournament-tested character against Gamerbee's Adon who he's been maining for years, and came within 1 second of timer of winning that anyway. He has no peer in SF4. He can play so many different styles with so many characters in the biggest situations.

QFE

He's made a lifelong fan outta me and that's no easy task.

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
Melee is a good example of dark horses in top 8, chu dat and plup placing so high was really cool. Marvel's top 8 was mostly forgettable since all of the players were newcomers relatively speaking so there's no history to bolster each match and to build the hype. It's essentially like watching a local top 8 to some extent.

Seyavesh

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2015/...-focus-games-other-marvel-and-street-figther/

Doesn't sound like he has anywhere near the passion that KBR does. Why would anybody want this guy to win with that kind of attitude?
what does that have to do with the time put in part, i don't understand
that's what i'm wondering because you're making it sound like the 3 best marvel players suddenly stopped caring about the game entirely when there is evidence right there (for at least 2 of them anyhow) to where it blatantly isn't a true statement

Imm0rt4l

I couldn't even post during SF4 top 8. Too intense. That Infiltration/Gamerbee was like nothing I've ever seen. And yes, funny enough it was due to Gamerbee milking everything out of an Ultra that is looking pretty damn broken, making it one of the most dramatic matches ever as you desperately want the other guy to overcome it. (nothing against Bee, total respect for him, just the mechanic)

Infiltration you didn't win but you're my champion :( His play was phenomenal. He put in so much work against the healbots, the Abel pick was so hype, and using Juri to better punish the heals was brilliant. And when he got stuck using his barely tournament-tested character against Gamerbee's Adon who he's been maining for years, and came within 1 second of timer of winning that anyway. He has no peer in SF4. He can play so many different styles with so many characters in the biggest situations.

This, so much. Infiltration is in my opinion the most talented and knowledgeable sf player in the world. He plays so fucking well. And the level at which he plays several characters is unheard of. Infiltration has possibly the best gouken in the world and he doesn't even main him.

I also have a sneaking suspicion that Infiltration made Bullcat(the best gouken) rage so hard in the mirror match that he retired. Bullcat hassn't played street fighter since their matches if I'm not mistaken. Bullcat was regarded as the best gouken, better than proudstrawberry.

Blueblur1

I want to write something a little more detailed later but here are some thoughts on EVO.

- The venue wasn't as big as last year's (but Ballys and Paris are on the strip so that aspect of the location was much better). It was a pain annoying have to move from one hall to another to catch a different game's pools.

- There's too many people standing around pools so you can't get through the area without squeezing through people or asking them to move. Felt worst than last year.

- The pools and tournament as a whole felt like it was organized way better. They did have to keep looking for judges and volunteers though.

- The Street Fighter stream being handled by CapcomFighters was super disappointing in that no brackets were shown (until loser semi-finals on Sunday). (The stream was the same thing being shown on the main screen in the tournament hall.)

- Trying to find live bracket info was a pain as always. Judges were often taking pictures and sometimes those pictures showed up in the EVO live blog. One picture found its way in my FGC chat with friends because a judge was a buddy.

- People piling up in the front was a stupid problem. I was sitting on the right in the second row for the latter half of finals and people would shove themselves up there even when they just said not to. There was a big guy behind me trying to police people and more people still walked up there to sit down. Same with media folks and their cameras. They should just rope off the front and give media people a booth or some space to take pictures from.

What I'd want more than anything for future EVO is readily available bracket info (it would be awesome if they went digital with android tablets) and more organization of the space. By that I mean roping off the pools areas, displaying signs with the game name and current pool, and organizing the area around the stage better like I mentioned above.

Oh, and definitely show important matches on-stream. What happened with Marvel shouldn't have happened.

ironmang

what does that have to do with the time put in part, i don't understand
that's what i'm wondering because you're making it sound like the 3 best marvel players suddenly stopped caring about the game entirely when there is evidence right there (for at least 2 of them anyhow) to where it blatantly isn't a true statement

Bootcamping for a week with friends isn't all that impressive and doesn't entitle them to top 8 finishes and to always be on stream. You should want the people who aren't "moving on" to make up the entirety of the top 8. Much more exciting than:

PG.Ryan Ramirez
‏@fchampryan
I think this year EVO is the year that im not gonna train for Umvc3 lol and im still very much confident to gave a chance of winning it too

Not that he's a bad guy or anything. Just not seeing why people should be upset by him or anybody else that feels the same not making top 8.

KingBroly

Banned
This, so much. Infiltration is in my opinion the most talented and knowledgeable sf player in the world. He plays so fucking well. And the level at which he plays several characters is unheard of. Infiltration has possibly the best gouken in the world and he doesn't even main him.

I also have a sneaking suspicion that Infiltration made Bullcat(the best gouken) rage so hard in the mirror match that he retired. Bullcat hassn't played street fighter since their matches if I'm not mistaken. Bullcat was regarded as the best gouken, better than proudstrawberry.

I always root against Infiltration. I dunno what it is about the guy, but he's just a guy that I've always rooted against. He plays so well, and he has an insane bag of tricks, but I always want to see him get beat. Losers Finals where Gamerbee got the runback on him from getting put in Losers from Pools just felt so right to me.

Lulubop

Infiltration has been my favorite international player ever since he bodied daigo's shit at evo 2k12.

Never before, or since had the gap between the top player and the rest been so wide in SF4. He mad Daigo look like a midtier player that year. Hell he made everyone look bad.

Just not seeing why people should be upset by him or anybody else that feels the same not making top 8.
Not to mention there's some blatant racism going on because KBR is from Chile

Ricki Ortiz and friends can fuck off. People that get bodied by a Hulk team don't get to talk shit.

Kaleinc

Banned
All Momochi had to do was drop dat lameass Cody to win Evo. Seriously the dude was rocking shotos since vanilla, the stick problem was wrong time wrong place though.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
people are salty a HULK team won evo? like...really? :/

Number45

More of a Twitch related question, but is there any way I can scrub through the archived broadcasts without a Flash capable machine? My Mac doesn't have Flash installed and there's no timeline - same goes for the iPad app and Safari on the iPad. :/

Just want to watch the USF4 matches from last night. >_<

EDIT: Weird, now it looks as though the top 8 video is loading properly to the right time which wasn't happening a moment ago on any of the three different methods.

Dahbomb

It's more who won than which team won
Complaining about a person winning who sacrificed his livelihood to perfect his craft through sheer dedication, play experience and raw grind is pretty damn scummy IMO.

KBR winning EVO is equivalent to those Shounen anime people see where the protagonist makes a tons of sacrifices, trains hard, keeps getting beat and then finally triumphs over everything. KBR's story is truly awe inspiring.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
marvel was fun but those SF4 sets were ridiculous. shame about the stick stuff

diffusionx

Gold Member
- Trying to find live bracket info was a pain as always. Judges were often taking pictures and sometimes those pictures showed up in the EVO live blog. One picture found its way in my FGC chat with friends because a judge was a buddy.

This is nuts to me. The bracket online still isn't updated. The fact that they narrow down thousands of people to 8 in one day is impressive but for someone who isn't well-versed in the scene and players, it's just bewildering. I don't see why they can't have the same group of people tracking results updating it online in real time.

Also - I say it every year and people think I am nuts but I wish everyone would just use their real names.

This is nuts to me. The bracket online still isn't updated. The fact that they narrow down thousands of people to 8 in one day is impressive but for someone who isn't well-versed in the scene and players, it's just bewildering. I don't see why they can't have the same group of people tracking results updating it online in real time.

Also - I say it every year and people think I am nuts but I wish everyone would just use their real names.

Yeah, especially since I saw an unofficial bracket updated in real time for Smash 4 top 32 and while it did have one mistake (I think they mixed up two of the people moving down to losers, but that's easily explainable) it was accurate for the most part. I really can't understand how keeping track of the roster digitally takes any more time and effort than whatever they're already using in this day and age

Sephzilla

KBR winning Marvel was fantastic.

Infiltration is my favorite SF4 player. I swear the guy could choose "Random" in Top 8 and make it work.

Guimac09

I didn't comment at the time because I was very tired (tournament ended 1:45 AM here), but I wanna say that GAMERBEE IS DA REAL MVP
U DA WINNER OF THE EVO OF MY HEART BB

RocBase

So how do you explain KBR beating JWong? That's a dark horse going against a big name, and it happened on stream.

The only downside to Marvel was so many additional great matches happening off screen, but there was plenty of hype in what we saw, and definitely plenty of hype in the top 8. I don't agree with the idea that it's only truly interesting with people you know. I think it's far more interesting to have a game that's on its way out like MvC3 suddenly have a resurgence of all-new blood and the winner having a different kind of team than usual. It breathes new life into the game and renews the original energy.

I know a lot of people were kinda feeling "meh" about Marvel because they thought the top 8 were going to be basically nothing but the usual top 8 players, but hype set in once the gods started falling one by one. I don't see how that's less interesting than the same people winning over and over.
Complaining about a person winning who sacrificed his livelihood to perfect his craft through sheer dedication, play experience and raw grind is pretty damn scummy IMO.

KBR winning EVO is equivalent to those Shounen anime people see where the protagonist makes a tons of sacrifices, trains hard, keeps getting beat and then finally triumphs over everything. KBR's story is truly awe inspiring.

second all of this

nothing more sad than people underplaying the finals and KBR's win because none of the usual made the cut. for all the shit people give marvel's dominant players and excuses for never being able to reach high level play, i would've thought this would be a welcome change

Actually, marvel is more like a shoujo manga, where you're a girl who shows up at a new school and all the girls act like your friends but once sempai notices you all the other girls get mad salty and start bullying you

Dahbomb

second all of this

nothing more sad than people underplaying the finals and KBR's win because none of the usual made the cut. for all the shit people give marvel's dominant players and excuses for never being able to reach high level play, i would've thought this would be a welcome change
Players like Justin Wong didn't make top 8 because they got bodied by players like KBR.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I didn't comment at the time because I was very tired (tournament ended 1:45 AM here), but I wanna say that GAMERBEE IS DA REAL MVP
U DA WINNER OF THE EVO OF MY HEART BB

He was gifted a free round when Momochi's stick broke, and still couldn't pull it off.

Forever second.

Razzorn34

I always root against Infiltration. I dunno what it is about the guy, but he's just a guy that I've always rooted against. He plays so well, and he has an insane bag of tricks, but I always want to see him get beat. Losers Finals where Gamerbee got the runback on him from getting put in Losers from Pools just felt so right to me.

Same. I really respect Infiltration. Yes, he's amazing. But, my favorite players are those that stick to 1-2 characters, and just make it work. Even in bad match up situations. Not, play counterpick roulette depending on the opponent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom