• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evil Dead: The Game cancelled on Switch | Development for new game content also stopping

Let's pour one out for yet another licensed horror asymmetrical MP game being canceled.

40Oz Pour One Out GIF

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Yeah, no shit, because absolutely nobody wants this. They're already playing Dead By Daylight.

Give me a "story based" single player Evil Dead game if you absolutely must try it.

Last edited:

dem

Why do they even release these things if they just shut them down after a year? I don't understand the business case for this type of game..

I played the Texas Chainsaw game quite a bit. Its pretty fun. But like... its obviously going to get old pretty quick. There is nowhere to go with it.

Last edited:
Why do they even release these things if they just shut them down after a year? I don't understand the business case for this type of game..

I played the Texas Chainsaw game quite a bit. Its pretty fun. But like... its obviously going to get old pretty quick. There is nowhere to go with it.
Because they hope that their game will take off and be competitive enough to survive. They can't predict the future, that's why.

Luipadre

DBD has the same shit loop and its been around for like 7 years now? Its all about post launch support and content. DBD has constant new content every 3 months, evil dead had abysmal post launch support and the way texas chain saw started, sadly i dont see a bright future ahead for that game

These games always end up having the same fate. Wouldn't be surprised if Texas Chainsaw Massacre is next along with that upcoming Killer Klowns game.
This is why I don't play any of these either, not even the Ghostbusters one even though I'm a big Ghostbusters fan.

These games have obvious expiration dates, if I can't play something a decade from now, I'm not going to waste my time.

MiguelItUp

I wish there was a world where we could get a asymmetrical games that also have great campaigns. Cause then it'd be a solid little package. I love the asymm genre, but honestly there's not enough creativity and innovation in it. So it unfortunately ends up getting stale very fast. This game was great, looked great, and was a lot of fun. Especially if you're a fan of the IP. Sad to see it go this route. Just like every other one.

El Muerto

Should of made a single player game that would have had value years after releasing. Now it's going in the trash with Friday the 13th. TCM is next, and then Killer Klowns. When will devs learn. Multiplayer should of been an afterthought like in games during the PS360 era.

Well that sucks, I was hoping for some more content especially from the new movie; still the best one of these games I've played by far, followed by TCM and everything else is mediocre/trash.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable

If your game's not got the numbers after a year and they're not going up, then it's unlikely to get better, I would guess is the thinking, unfortunately.

Sad for the team, obviously.

NickFire

Tough IP for this type of game. Not sure how well Texas will fit but you never know. Still sucks Friday got short circuited from litigation. Was hands down my favorite horror game based on movie IP ever. Would be cool if the same company brought it back some day or took shot at Halloween. The iconic solo killers are perfect for this genre.

kunonabi

Evil dead ran into a couple of problems. The balance was terrible and Saber proved to be completely over their heads in trying to fix it, it has only one win condition which sucks for these kinds of games, and then they botched the post release content. It started off well enough on that front but then they wasted time on a battle royale mode nobody wanted and the last dlc pack was locked away behind a goty bundle.

The game did a lot right but they just really flubbed it where it counts.

TCM is mostly doing a good job about balance, at least compared to other games in the genre anyway, but the additional content is still way too up in the air at this point.

I'm hoping they pull it together because I don't want to be just stuck with Breakers and it's gacha hell. I should peek on Ghostbusters though. Aside from the balance it was a lot of fun before I started having to grind Breakers.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
Yeah, no shit, because absolutely nobody wants this. They're already playing Dead By Daylight.

Give me a "story based" single player Evil Dead game if you absolutely must try it.
Not even the show or movies got a story, and you want the game to have one?

Corian33

The game was fun and very in tune with the source material. I had a blast with it for like two weeks then realized it would probably die. Same as that Aliens game. Small multiplayer games with too much competition and no single player stuff to increase their value. I vowed to stop buying these after that.

Forsythia

Always the same with these games. For fuck sake, they got the license to the IP, make a nice singleplayer game.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Not even the show or movies got a story, and you want the game to have one?

Hence the quotes, you know what I mean though, a campaign. In fact, probably the less story, the better...

Good idea, bad execution. The problem with these kinds of games is that people learn to cheese or exploit specific mechanics to make winning for the other team almost impossible. I gave up on it after a couple days, but only paid £5 for it so no big loss for me.

Also, unless you’re playing with a team that fully understand what they’re doing, it ends up being a crap experience. Which is how I’ve seen almost all of these games play out.

Ubisoft should just fucking sort their shit out and make another Splinter Cell with Spies vs Mercs, the best asymmetrical multiplayer game (outside of CS).

These type of live service games are essentially disposable.

They might sell fairly well and be the hot streaming thing for a week or two but then they just fall off a cliff entirely.

It's a terrible trend in the industry. Sony producing a bunch of them is going to be a costly mistake for them.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I'm gonna pretend like this is at all surprising.

Just stop chasing fads every time a new one pops up you damn fools. Literally no one wants this and there are plenty of people who would be happy to play single player adaptations of those movie franchises.

SCB3

Pretty much this, DBD was first and did it much better than the standalones, better to just license the characters there

There's another asymmetrical game in the can. Friday The 13th was the same story, as is Predator: Hunting Grounds. The new Texas Chainsaw Massacre game however has been holding strong in terms of content and player-base.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Is this the same team from Friday the 13th?

Licensing issues again? That stuff is like playing with fire.

They should follow suite of the developers who make the 1980s videonasty style games; Murder House and a bunch of others. Awesome games that evoke other things but are free from licensing restraints.

Top Bottom