• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Everything Everywhere All At Once | Michelle Yeoh enter a very different kind of Multiverse

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I heard this is the first science fiction movie to win best picture at the Oscars.

Is it really that good? Everything I've seen from it makes it look really goofy with some seriousnes.

I will say it's good to see James Horn (Covetous Shen from Diablo 3) and Short Round (Temple of Doom, Goonies) again. Short Round still sounds like he does when he was a little kid in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.
I'm not sure if I'd characterize it as a sci-fi movie, but it does have sci-fi elements in it. I thought it was a great movie that has goofy stuff along with serious stuff. There's a lot of components that make up this movie, so it's hard to put it in a box.

I'm not sure what kind of movies you generally like, but if you're the type of movie consumer who prefers ADHD Marvel schlock, and Hollywood popcorn flicks that require you to turn your brain off, then you probably won't like this.

Power Pro

Depending on how your perceive it, and I haven't heard many people bring this up about this movie but it's not really

a multiverse movie, but rather about a woman dealing with her personal crisis's and has an overactive imagination. When I first watched it, I took everything at face value, and thought "oh yeah, this is all really happening", but after I showed the movie to my parents, my mom told me that she thought it was all in her head, and if watched from that perspective, it totally comes off that way too.

That didn't diminish the greatness of the film for me, but actually elevated it, because she basically opened my mind to how this film can also be interpreted different ways.

That's not even mentioning the outstanding acting and performances given by the whole cast. I was so happy to see it recognized with so many awards, because this was one of those rare films that touched me in numerous ways that made me feel good about film again.

Doom85

Depending on how your perceive it, and I haven't heard many people bring this up about this movie but it's not really

a multiverse movie, but rather about a woman dealing with her personal crisis's and has an overactive imagination. When I first watched it, I took everything at face value, and thought "oh yeah, this is all really happening", but after I showed the movie to my parents, my mom told me that she thought it was all in her head, and if watched from that perspective, it totally comes off that way too.

That didn't diminish the greatness of the film for me, but actually elevated it, because she basically opened my mind to how this film can also be interpreted different ways.

That's not even mentioning the outstanding acting and performances given by the whole cast. I was so happy to see it recognized with so many awards, because this was one of those rare films that touched me in numerous ways that made me feel good about film again.

My only problem with that is early in the film there was security footage of her husband doing some crazy parkour stuff IIRC and this is only shown to the audience, she never sees that particular moment. If a story is doing the “it’s all in your head” trope, they can’t have something happen that only the audience witnesses and then try to claim the protagonist is imagining it or delusional.

It‘s why I don’t support the “Ferris only exists in Cameron’s head” theory regarding Ferris Bueller’s Day Off. Far too much is shown of Ferris without Cameron even present. Not to mention the whole subplot of the principal trying to find Ferris. Again, if we’re meant to be seeing delusions through the eye of a character, then that character needs to be clearly witnessing these delusional events themselves. Otherwise, what could be a neat twist instead feels like the writer(s) pulled it out of their asses.

Last edited:

Power Pro

My only problem with that is early in the film there was security footage of her husband doing some crazy parkour stuff IIRC and this is only shown to the audience, she never sees that particular moment. If a story is doing the “it’s all in your head” trope, they can’t have something happen that only the audience witnesses and then try to claim the protagonist is imagining it or delusional.

It‘s why I don’t support the “Ferris only exists in Cameron’s head” theory regarding Ferris Bueller’s Day Off. Far too much is shown of Ferris without Cameron even present. Not to mention the whole subplot of the principal trying to find Ferris. Again, if we’re meant to be seeing delusions through the eye of a character, then that character needs to be clearly witnessing these delusional events themselves. Otherwise, what could be a neat twist instead feels like the writer(s) pulled it out of their asses.
That still could be something she was imagining, like thought she saw out of the side of her eye, but I'll agree it's one thing that does throw it out the window. It could just be a case of misdirection on their part, or a mistake if that was the intention, because when she does go downstairs, the guy with the coin machine doesn't notice Waymond doing anything strange, and he would have been right in front of him at the time the security footage shows.

Just think it's fun to think about, none of it has to be taken as gospel, even in the case of Ferris Bueller. There are just somethings that stand out to me after my mother pointed it out to me, like how everything centers around what she thought she wanted to her life to be, or things that were impressed in her mind. Like the raccoon version of Ratatouille universe, something she just mistaken thought a movie was about happened to be a universe she ends up in.

Laieon

but if you're the type of movie consumer who prefers ADHD Marvel schlock, and Hollywood popcorn flicks that require you to turn your brain off, then you probably won't like this.

Or they might! I fucking love the MCU, Fast and Furious, etc; but I simultaneously love EEAOO, Banshees, and films that really push the medium.

Give me everything from Miami Connection to Parasite, I just like film.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Or they might! I fucking love the MCU, Fast and Furious, etc; but I simultaneously love EEAOO, Banshees, and films that really push the medium.

Give me everything from Miami Connection to Parasite, I just like film.
Do you prefer the MCU stuff though? You sound like you just enjoy everything.

RaduN

It's definitely not in her head.

At no point in the movie it's suggested that Yeoh's character might have this kind of vivid imagination.
Also, if we go by this assumption of nothing is actually real, many of the other verses scenearios, become completely useless.

Spaceman292

Banned

It's more of a metaphor than a literal plot thing

Top Bottom