• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

European video game and hardware sales for June 2023 - PS5#1 NSW#2 XBS#3 | Diablo IV#1 FFXVI#2 FIFA 23#3

When has Final Fantasy ever had the same attachment rate as a 1st Party Nintendo title especially of the caliber of Switch 1st Party titles? Also Ragnarok is a cross-gen title also available to over 118 million PS4 users.
It is on PS4 as well, my mistake i forgot. However likely the majority was on PS5 i suspect, even though the install base is much smaller the PS5 is the better place to play and where all the hype was.

Last edited:
You forget that Nintendo bundles everything or you think Wii Sports sold well? :messenger_tears_of_joy:
They don't anymore, Nintendo show how much software they bundle in their yearly report and in the last 2 years it is very low. Only 1.25 million bundled software was sold last fiscal year out of 213.96 million and only 1.5 million out of 235.07 million the fiscal year before that. Bundled software figure given at the bottom of each chart.

Jceeodr.jpg

KBXxoH9.jpg

Paulistano

They don't anymore, Nintendo show how much software they bundle in their yearly report and in the last 2 years it is very low. Only 1.25 million bundled software was sold last fiscal year out of 213.96 million and only 1.5 million out of 235.07 million the fiscal year before that. Bundled software figure given at the bottom of each chart.

Jceeodr.jpg

KBXxoH9.jpg
I'm not even from europe...

look at this, so.. many... bundles...

blacktout

He provided concrete, irrefutable sales data. If you want to know how many units of bundled software Nintendo sells, it's right there. I have no clue what you think linking to random retail listings proves, but it definitely doesn't trump hard data directly from Nintendo themselves.

Paulistano

He provided concrete, irrefutable sales data. If you want to know how many units of bundled software Nintendo sells, it's right there. I have no clue what you think linking to random retail listings proves, but it definitely doesn't trump hard data directly from Nintendo themselves.
They are selling a mario bundle there with a "free game", the model isn't a bundle but I think it is, it won't show on their fancy paper.

JaksGhost

It as on PS4 as well, my mistake i forgot. However likely the majority was on PS5 i suspect, even though the install base is much smaller the PS5 is the better place to play and where all the hype was.
Without concrete evidence we can only assume Ragnarok had an install base of 150 million PS4, PS4 Pro, and PS5 console owners to work with, no matter the overlap.

Last edited:

Hardensoul

Those aren't official console bundles, they are retailer bundles. Those games aren't even pack in. Most of those bundles are Fortnite currency cards. :messenger_grinning::messenger_fearful:

WTF, even if I agree this is true in the early days but FF was and has been a turn base game for a long time.
It was turn-based up to the first PS2 game. Every game since then has not been turn-based, including the subsequent two PS2 games.

Last edited:

Hardensoul

It was turn-based up to the first PS2 game. Every game since then has not been turn-based, including the subsequent two PS2 games.
I'm not strictly talking about turn based being same from FFI game to FFXV. Of course the turned based game play has evolved. I have not play FFXVI but from what I see and read about, it's the first game without any turn based elements.

I'm not strictly talking about turn based being same from FFI game to FFXV. Of course the turned based game play has evolved. I have not play FFXVI but from what I see and read about, it's the first game without any turn based elements.
How does XI, XII, XIV or XV have turn-based elements?

You still can cast magic, use summon abilities, potions, etc. None of the Final Fantasy games after X have been turn-based, with XIII being the only one to come close.

MacReady13

European GSD June 2023 Top 10 (Digital + Physical)​

PositionTitle
1Diablo 4 (Activision Blizzard)
2Final Fantasy 16 (Square Enix)
3FIFA 23 (EA)
4The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (Nintendo)*
5Grand Theft Auto 5 (Rockstar)
6F1 23 (EA)
7Hogwarts Legacy (Warner Bros)
8Red Dead Redemption 2 (Rockstar)
9Street Fighter 6 (Capcom)
10Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Activision Blizzard)

Can't say I'm entirely surprised but I'd love to know the ONLY figure that counts- how many hours were people playing games on the no.1 subscription service- the mighty GAME PASS?! We get that metric correct then sales numbers of games means nothing! Who makes money off selling games today???

Fredrik

That's not really comparable at all, what about Octopath which only sold 1 million this far?

Idk of any game that sells millions upon millions and is turn based anymore unless its something from Nintendo.
Octopath is a relatively new IP, and the budget is small and it’s on Switch, can’t be compared to what’s going on with Final Fantasy or Baldur’s Gate in any way.

I think you will see soon that turn based combat is not pushing people away.
BG3 comes out in 2 weeks on PC, the hype is real, Fextralife thought it would be the GOTY, it could without exaggeration end up as the highest rated RPG this year.

And BG3 comes out on september 6 on PS5, same day as Starfield, as a console-exclusive since it was delayed to an unknown date on Xbox.
You don’t think Playstation-only gamers will play that if it reviews well and people say it deserve the GOTY award?

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
That software split for Diablo 4 is eye opening if not alarming. Software sales seem to be declining for the Xbox. Gamepass effect?

MS saw this coming and realized they needed to make BIG moves. So they spent $80 billion to fix the issue. Time will tell if that will work or not.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
And some people are concerned for Playstation when there is talk about acquisitions.
Yes, because their appeal and strength can fade relatively quickly if you start stripping the biggest third party publishers away (buying them and making content exclusive, see Starfield 10+ Million copies loss as yet another example that losing money in the short term is secondary to the greater goal/thought experiment of outspending your competitor out of business). On top of that, using an enormous war chest obtained in other monopolies (or monopoly like strongholds) to finance a massive subscription market that destroys perceived game value (Activision-Blizzard’s CEO testified it, MS had previously also hinted at that, all of it giving credibility to Ryan’s claim about the effects of day and date GamePass releases) nudges people more and more not to buy content (which is already happening on Xbox to a degree)… when your games make money based on time people play them for (GamePass revenue share must have something like this) and micro transactions … games and game design changes too.

Again… thoughts experiments…

MrTired

MS saw this coming and realized they needed to make BIG moves. So they spent $80 billion to fix the issue. Time will tell if that will work or not.
Is that going to fix or exasperate the issue further? Is CoD going into gamepass the inflection point for the industry that I suspect Microsoft is hoping for?

This tweet from Ex Head of Microsoft France was eye opening. It quite a substantial read, would encourage people to give it a read

Last edited:

Fredrik

Yes, because their appeal and strength can fade relatively quickly if you start stripping the biggest third party publishers away
Can? In theory, yes. But is it likely that Xbox would suddenly take over everywhere on the planet? No. Tbh it wouldn’t happen during our lifetime even with full exclusivity on everything including CoD and Minecraft.

PS5 is 2:1 ahead world wide but the US and UK are driving those numbers up for MS, it’s worse if you look into other markets. Much much worse. Not quite ”What’s an Xbox?” but at some areas it’s not far off. And this is before looking into the S/X split which go for different consumers and before the PS5 Pro and Slim which will increase the lead Sony have.
The reality is that MS has completely failed this generation. Anyone who truly think competition is a good thing should be thankful that MS is actually trying to do something about it instead of just giving up and make this gen their last which the numbers probably show that they should do.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Can? In theory, yes. But is it likely that Xbox would suddenly take over everywhere on the planet? No. Tbh it wouldn’t happen during our lifetime even with full exclusivity on everything including CoD and Minecraft.
Problem is for Sony to justify staying in the console business if the profit margins started to become razor thin and lower… which may be MS strategy: “regulators will let us do it, we will just spend enough know, and make tons of profits later once we have a devs to monopoly”).

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The reality is that MS has completely failed this generation. Anyone who truly think competition is a good thing should be thankful that MS is actually trying to do something about it instead of just giving up and make this gen their last which the numbers probably show that they should do.
Something should be done, this is something, so this is good is a well know fallacy too.

Competition is working fine unless you think the the deserving player is not winning. When you deal with a massive corporation vs a much smaller one it is healthy if the smaller corporation wins big, it is the entire point one could say. The current market is a healthy market not because who is on too but how and why they are and got on top.

MS also could spend money to grow and manage their studios or decide to spend Sony out of business, they are choosing the latter and that is what I have a problem with.

Last edited:

Hardensoul

How does XI, XII, XIV or XV have turn-based elements?

You still can cast magic, use summon abilities, potions, etc. None of the Final Fantasy games after X have been turn-based, with XIII being the only one to come close.
It was a broad statement. FF11 and FF14 are MMOs, they obviously will have less turn based due to nature of that genre. FF15(did not play) I had forgotten it was first fully action based from what I’ve seen and talked about.

FF12 is turn based and why not also mention FF13 which is also turn base?

T-0800

Is there even money to be made with a subscription model that kills game sales? People say that games are different than movies and tv shows because you can sell DLC etc but I know I'm not buying DLC for games I don't own.

Hardensoul

Is there even money to be made with a subscription model that kills game sales? People say that games are different than movies and tv shows because you can sell DLC etc but I know I'm not buying DLC for games I don't own.
How does that work? If the game is taken off Gamepass and you bought dlc.

Can you buy the dlc when it’s on Gamepass?

Some people reckon $220m budget for games that sell 15m units or more are not sustainable/profitable, but Gamepass is.

Last edited:

Madflavor

Turn Based Combat, at least as we know it in the classic sense, ended after FFX. Afterward SE wouldn't stop experimenting with new combat systems for each new entry.

FFI - FFX they kept evolving Turn Based Combat.
FFXII - FFXVI they keep experimenting with new combat systems.

Make sense?

I would not consider anything Post-FFX to be Turn Based Combat. There are elements of ATB in some of these games, such as FFXIII, but they tried marrying ATB with Real Time Combat. We haven't had pure Turn Based since the Bush Administration. And no I don't think bringing Final Fantasy back to Turn Based Combat is going to make them great again, nor will suddenly make them sell a lot better. 3 Million Units shipped and sold is not a "flop", and it's dumb the narrative some people are trying to spin like it is. Resident Evil 4 Remake sold around 3 million units when it released, on a much larger install base, but you didn't see a bunch of people trying to claim that was a flop.

Last edited:

Hardensoul

It's actually real-time with pause. And the only game with RTwP where I actually have fun in combat.
Fun is subjective to each players taste.

But FF12 is a similar to turn base, it feels like it gives you so much time to react. Don’t have to have twitch reaction like out right action of FF16.

I can’t speak for all players that like to turn base but when I play these types of game I like the casual feel of taking my time to go through fights. Don’t want to constantly do quick twitch reactions like action games!

Also Capitan Todd Capitan Todd I’m not going to debate history of each combat in FF. FF is moving away from the type of genre that I enjoyed. I like action games. But call it something else FF action with new continuation numbers.

But to continue with same sequential number is misleading, I didn’t like it when the MMO were FF11 and FF14. It made no sense!

Roufianos

Lol 4% of sales on PS4. Imagine gimping your game to run on 10-year-old hardware just to get a fraction more sales.

zedinen

Something should be done, this is something, so this is good is a well know fallacy too.

Competition is working fine unless you think the the deserving player is not winning. When you deal with a massive corporation vs a much smaller one it is healthy if the smaller corporation wins big, it is the entire point one could say. The current market is a healthy market not because who is on too but how and why they are and got on top.

MS also could spend money to grow and manage their studios or decide to spend Sony out of business, they are choosing the latter and that is what I have a problem with.

Microsoft has been trying since 1999 to spend Sony out of the business, shortly after cutting off Netscape's “air supply”.

Microsoft tried to buy Nintendo in 1999

Robbie Bach: "Xbox lost five to seven billion dollars during its four-year life"

Xbox 360 'red ring of death' costs Microsoft more than $1B (Jul 2007)

Microsoft will cut the price of Xbox 360 by about 13 percent in the United States (Aug 2007)

Microsoft had only one shot, the PS3 era, and they blew it.

kULYLp2.jpg

UNLNf09.jpg

PlayStation is the only business that lost billions competing with Microsoft, lived to tell the story, and found a way to claw back its top spot in the US and UK, they key markets for Microsoft.

Microsoft is playing the long game, but they could never have imagined that:

-PS5 is outselling Xbox Series 2-to-1 in both the US and UK during 2023

-Sony Group is reaping record profits

-Sony weighing a partial spinoff of financial services

-B2P and live service games dominate over subs

-It will take 2 years to complete ABK acquisition and 10 years to take full control of COD

Disney, the biggest and most admired entertainment company in the world, acquired Marvel, Lucasfilm and 21st Century Fox for $80 billion.

Disney is facing an existential crisis after being deemed unstoppable.

Good management always triumphs over money.

Top Bottom