• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Eurogamer]Phil Spencer on new hardware, price drops, mid-gen refreshes - and why the company won't ditch Series S.

Hudo

PS7 Pro
Mean Girls Halloween GIF

;)
Maybe modern consoles are just not for me. I remember buying a console and that was it.

Nonehxc

He pretty much wants to see the extermination of every playstation fan. I certainly don't want to see any Xbox fans exterminated because of a stupid console war. It definitely isn't worth exterminating people over.
Nor me. I have already preloaded Starfield on my Series X and mucho GPU and eager to play(and can post pic with a nice handwritten note of concern dedicated to the one dumb enough to lump me in the fanboy thrascan). They just don't get we agnostic people just get lot of laughs out of these behaviours while we sit atop the wall, throwing peanuts at them and laughing like 'look at those dumbos fighting the world'.

It's just funny adults feel the need to defend their plastic boxes like paranoid knights in shining armour and sharp sword ( more like soiled underwear and sweaty sausage lol) defending the virtue of their downtrodden box in distress.

DJ12

Yep, and this is after they confirmed that Series X is their mid-gen refresh (lol). So the issue that Phil is talking about - they have already made that "mistake." As you said, bizarre.

X6G2uzK.jpg
Maybe series S was their actual main stream console and they cobbled together the x when someone at AMD gave them the knowing headshake to let them know they'd be screwed releasing that against what Sony were gunning for with ps5.

It would explain how everything seems to be on paper wins against ps5 with critical flaws that means they are practically on par.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yes because Sony realized after some time that Ryan doesn't have any PR training whatsoever, so he shouldn't speak in a public manner. Maybe Microsoft will realize it with Spencer as well at some point.
Jim Ryan himself has admitted he's not a good public speaker and more of an introvert due to having some social anxiety. But that is neither here nor there. Cult of personality and brand mascoting is what MS was after. And it worked for the hardcore and retarded.

Hudo

Jim Ryan himself has admitted he's not a good public speaker and more of an introvert due to having some social anxiety. But that is neither here nor there. Cult of personality and brand mascoting is what MS was after. And it worked for the hardcore and retarded.
Ok. (I don't really have anything to add here because I don't really care enough about Spencer or MS, tbh.)

Edit: Still agree with him on mid-gen refreshes being stupid, tho. But I guess that's more because I think consoles should provide the definitive, plug-and-play experience (put the game in, and play it as devs intended), otherwise I can play on my PC.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
With the latest announcement not ditching series S seems like it just slightly unraveled.

Perhaps games will release for PC, Series X and PS5 at the same time and then the Switch and Series S a little later.

Last edited:
Nor me. I have already preloaded Starfield on my Series X and mucho GPU and eager to play(and can post pic with a nice handwritten note of concern dedicated to the one dumb enough to lump me in the fanboy thrascan). They just don't get we agnostic people just get lot of laughs out of these behaviours while we sit atop the wall, throwing peanuts at them and laughing like 'look at those dumbos fighting the world'.

It's just funny adults feel the need to defend their plastic boxes like paranoid knights in shining armour and sharp sword ( more like soiled underwear and sweaty sausage lol) defending the virtue of their downtrodden box in distress.

All I'll say is enjoy Starfield.

Currently I'm going through some other titles but I might pick it up for my PC at some point.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Just get gamepass on Playstation and be done with it. Move on from the console space

Great idea, MS should just hand over 30% of its revenue to Sony, who by the way, aren't interested in fueling the largest competitor to its own game pass service. Any other good ideas?

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Well, Baldur's Gate 3, one of the best games of the year, is not releasing on Xbox this year because of Series S. The devs says that, and we already know that there's Xbox enginners helping port the game. That definily proves something, no?

Last I heard its coming out missing a feature that very few will ever use. (Split screen)
Only proves that one game had an issue, if anything your proving my point by highlighting it and saying that it's bad for all games.
The fact is most games port and run with very little issue.

Edmund

Even better news, Starfield is just the start of the onslaught. Looks like all the software is falling into place. The future line up just looks incredible.

I wonder if Destin ran off to the toilet to masturbate after talking to Phil. And at such close proximity.

havoc00

The best and most honest man in gaming, dude turned it all around, and is for the players. 20 years from now you will see articles about how gamepass was one of the milestones and turning points in gaming.

Last edited:

mystech

I’m going to take a long shot guess here. I may be way off the mark but it’s an interesting thought so why not share:

Based on some of the things he said in the interview and based on the fact that modern consoles are getting closer to being like mini PCs, I wonder if Microsoft might take a modular approach to their next system.

Imagine a console with user upgradable RAM, GPU, CPU and SSD. All parts are proprietary. They could sell a base model unit (like a next gen series S) with lower specs out of the box and a higher spec unit with more premium components out of the box. The developers would target the lowest spec unit as the minimum and then unlock higher resolutions, frame rates and other features based on the installed modules. From a development standpoint, supporting a modular console should be possible with modern engines, especially if the base spec console is at least 70% as powerful as the PS6 (and Microsoft learns from the main bottlenecks on series S). It would be the ultimate PC for the living room… what Microsoft has always wanted…

As time goes on, rather than releasing a “Pro” console, they would simply release newer modules. In fact, they could even go the Apple route and offer yearly hardware upgrades. In the interview he talked about the issue of releasing a new console based on technology that’s already 2 years old. With a modular console that issue vanishes. Microsoft could effectively give us the first console that can match a PC with high settings…

Just a thought 🤷 The CPU and RAM would most likely have to be a combined module. Other than that, I can’t think of any real reason why it couldn’t work. It would definitely guarantee a consistent power advantage over the PS6.

sinnergy

I’m going to take a long shot guess here. I may be way off the mark but it’s an interesting thought so why not share:

Based on some of the things he said in the interview and based on the fact that modern consoles are getting closer to being like mini PCs, I wonder if Microsoft might take a modular approach to their next system.

Imagine a console with user upgradable RAM, GPU, CPU and SSD. All parts are proprietary. They could sell a base model unit (like a next gen series S) with lower specs out of the box and a higher spec unit with more premium components out of the box. The developers would target the lowest spec unit as the minimum and then unlock higher resolutions, frame rates and other features based on the installed modules. From a development standpoint, supporting a modular console should be possible with modern engines, especially if the base spec console is at least 70% as powerful as the PS6 (and Microsoft learns from the main bottlenecks on series S). It would be the ultimate PC for the living room… what Microsoft has always wanted…

As time goes on, rather than releasing a “Pro” console, they would simply release newer modules. In fact, they could even go the Apple route and offer yearly hardware upgrades. In the interview he talked about the issue of releasing a new console based on technology that’s already 2 years old. With a modular console that issue vanishes. Microsoft could effectively give us the first console that can match a PC with high settings…

Just a thought 🤷 The CPU and RAM would most likely have to be a combined module. Other than that, I can’t think of any real reason why it couldn’t work. It would definitely guarantee a consistent power advantage over the PS6.
This idea comes by every few years the last 12 years 😊😣

unlurkified

Yep, and this is after they confirmed that Series X is their mid-gen refresh (lol). So the issue that Phil is talking about - they have already made that "mistake." As you said, bizarre.

X6G2uzK.jpg
Yeah I was flabbergasted when I heard that statement from Phil. Probably has to be the dumbest corporate PR spin I’ve ever heard.

Hudo

I mean no one is forcing you to buy a mid-gen console. You can still buy a console and not care about the rest.
But you don't get the definitive, developer-intended experience with your console purchase anymore. Because then, games have features for the Pro versions of the console, suddenly you have setting menus in console games that look like dumbed-down PC settings, where you can choose between performance or quality mode etc. I'd rather have no choices in that regard in a console version because I want developers to make the games as they intend. If I get to fiddle around with stuff, I'd rather do that on PC, tbh.

But yeah, you're right. I could just not care about all of this.

Three

So, Microsoft is admitting their initial plans for how Dev's will support the Series S need adjustment. I'm curious here, because their scalability notion was based on data collected from the Xbone - hard metrics that most game's memory usage was HD textures by far. Their theory was that if Dev's used smaller textures to support 1440p instead of 4k, they could cut the system RAM and nothing else would need changing - smaller textures just use less ram. That's a relatively sound approach. So, if they have to learn, that would make me think it's not the RAM causing issues, because they were already all over that. I wonder where the Series S is falling down? The CPU is the same, so that rules that out, but the GPU and RAM are both paired back. I wonder if the smaller number of CUs is actually the culprit, less so the RAM?
You're making the same mistake the naive MS engineers did with the Series S. Things don't actually scale that easily. The hard metrics might be true for the majority of xbox one games but it doesn't mean it's true for every game. Sometimes the RAM usage for textures is low even with high quality textures but most of it is in texture variety on screen or inventory, you might even cut textures back already for the possibility to provide headroom for features like splitcreen. Having to have double the inventory, texture variety or enemy types on screen etc.

Spencer debunks the "parity" notion for BG3. That just makes me more curious. Split screen is an obvious reason - Microsoft's own 343i had massive issues getting split screen running for Halo Infinite (though, 343i are also their least competent developer) - but it appears that's not actually the case. Baldur's Gate 3 is a technically proficient game, all things considered. If the Dev's at Larian are having issues, I don't imagine it's simple stuff getting in their way. As I said above, I'm now very curious what part of Microsoft's scalability notion is breaking down. If split screen isn't the cause, I imagine it's more foundational - which brings me back to the paired back GPU.
Don't listen to a word Phil says. Larian have already said the BG3 issue was due to parity and splitscreen. It's very likely the RAM issue where it's breaking down.

Last edited:

ActusReusJB

Neo Member
They will not admit anything about the S because that decision was made and followed through a long time ago, and there’s no turning back so why publicly admit anything? Their all in approach to game pass was the catalyst for this choice, they wanted a more affordable box to run this gen’s games while getting more gamepass revenue.

I think it’s smart of them to not do a mid gen refresh. Just focus on 1st party games here out and next gen just one powerful box.
I wonder if the reason for no mid-gen refresh is so they can get a jump on next gen faster than Sony. If MS is looking back to previous success their best gen was when they had a one year head start.

Additionally, this lets them effectively kill the Series S. When I say kill I don’t mean cut off from games, you would just have to stream content developed for the next Xbox. This also helps them avoid the Series S power narrative when the end of gen games really start pushing the consoles harder.

Just speculation on my part, but I think strategically this makes the most sense to sort of get them out of this predicament with the easiest messaging.

Riky

$MSFT

I think this as I've mentioned before is a distinct possibility, the form it would take would be very interesting for starters. It would also satisfy having the cheapest and the most powerful console a lot easier.

cireza

That would be a mistake because it would force developers that do not release on PC day-one (or outsource their projects to other teams at later dates) to having to comply to a lot of different configurations, which will not be part of their expertise.

If it was that simple, every game would release day-one on PC with excellent performance. And we know that this is not the case. This will filter developers out of the platform.

This should be avoided at all cost in my opinion.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

This sounds like a low manufacturing volumes PC platform… it sounds dreadful for consoles… worst of both worlds.

SABRE220

I still cant believe MS put themselves in a situation where they cant release a mid gen console. They absolutely blew the ps4 pro away last gen with the one x which was easily the best piece of hardware in the console market at the time and became the defacto premium console backed by df etc....this gen a digital console that dwarfs the series s is going for only a 100$ more and then on the high end the pro will lord over the series x not an enviable situation to be in especially once developers start really laying into the series s as the gen go's on.

I still remember the days when at the start of the gen some were saying series s with true rdna2 plus machine learning, microsoft patented reconstruction, dx12 magic etc etc will push the ps5 lol, and ofcourse the series x was the beast that would crush the 9tflop ps5 and now essentially they have neither segment really.

cireza

I still cant believe MS put themselves in a situation where they cant release a mid gen console. They absolutely blew the ps4 pro away last gen with the one x which was easily the best piece of hardware in the console market at the time and became the defacto premium console backed by df etc....this gen a digital console that dwarfs the series s is going for only a 100$ more and then on the high end the pro will lord over the series x not an enviable situation to be in especially once developers start really laying into the series s as the gen go's on.

I still remember the days when at the start of the gen some were saying series s with true rdna2 plus machine learning, microsoft patented reconstruction, dx12 magic etc etc will push the ps5 lol, and ofcourse the series x was the beast that would crush the 9tflop ps5 and now essentially they have neither segment really.
Well, with the beginning of the backpedaling on Series S (which I think sucks), I guess that a Series Pro is not out of the question anymore.

I'd rather see them getting the maximum out of Series S and investing in it, helping developers and providing the best tools possible, than shelving it for a premium console that will cost even more and won't help taping an additional market (which the Series S did).

Well, with the beginning of the backpedaling on Series S (which I think sucks), I guess that a Series Pro is not out of the question anymore.

Well it takes time to develop something like that. If they haven't even started then it could be a while before we see a Series X Pro. If there is one I believe it's because they have been working on it for a while. Obviously they won't talk about until its closer to release.

winjer

Gold Member

That would create too many variables for devs to take into consideration. So devs would either have to create profiles for each combination, which would take longer time and resources, or they would have to do like on PC and have a bunch of settings and let the user tweak them.
Remember that on PC, users are used to tinkering with graphics settings. But on consoles, most gamers just want a curated experience, where they boot the game and play. Quite a few don't even care about options like quality/performance modes. And they would not be happy with having to go trough a bunch of settings until they find what is best for their combination of hardware modules.

The other thing is that a lot of people have no skill messing with hardware. So having users upgrading their own console would be a recipe for disaster.
Some would just refuse to upgrade anything, just because they are afraid to damage the console. Others would find a way to screw up and actually damage the console.
No matter how good a design is, some people will always find a way to break it.
And then processing RMAs, even if it's the user fault, would have another cost on top of it.

Vognerful

Looks like Phil is back in won't shut the fuck up mode.
Because he and media outlets know that people will engage with what he says whether in positive or negative way. And he will probably keep doing it because it is doing something for them.

DeepEnigma DeepEnigma

I would say it works also for the butt

Based on this thread, the butthurt as well.

Last edited:
Maybe it's a cultural thing. Microsoft is an American company and I'm sorry Americans but y'all never shut up.

microsoft GIF

Schmendrick

you just combined the worst of both worlds.
The complexity of optimizing for a wide range of setups, the lower efficiency due to way looser integration, the higher price because you lose on standardized part volume and fabrication simplicity etc while still being tied down to proprietary parts and limited choices without any of the upsides a PC or fixed console setups have......

terrible ...terrible idea.

Last edited:

REDRZA MWS

No, just make one powerful box and focus on games.

Anyone who hates mid-gen refreshes is just an asshole. They do these things 3-4 years into the lifecycle and it’s only a benefit to gamers who buy them. Zero reason to argue against them.

We already had them before. And none of the fears over them really materialised.

Does anyone here think that Xbox Series has any chance of catching up to PS5 with a mid-gen refresh that releases alongside a PS5 Pro?

It's possible that Microsoft wants to shorten the generation for themselves to get a leg up on the next one. With backwards compatibility and the proliferation of cross-gen titles the transition from generation to generation is much more seamless now without completely alienating your more loyal customers.

If Microsoft does want to hit next generation early as they did with the 360 then putting out a mid-gen refresh for holiday 2024 and moving to the next generation in Q1 2026 would be terrible publicity.

Does anyone here think that Xbox Series has any chance of catching up to PS5 with a mid-gen refresh that releases alongside a PS5 Pro?

It's possible that Microsoft wants to shorten the generation for themselves to get a leg up on the next one. With backwards compatibility and the proliferation of cross-gen titles the transition from generation to generation is much more seamless now without completely alienating your more loyal customers.

If Microsoft does want to hit next generation early as they did with the 360 then putting out a mid-gen refresh for holiday 2024 and moving to the next generation in Q1 2026 would be terrible publicity.

"Next-Gen starts when Sony says it does"...

Tsaki

Pretty much this:
"Next-Gen starts when Sony says it does"...
Xbox's generally low sales (read: terrible sales outside of the US) and the convoluted naming of their consoles makes them unable to set when a new generation starts. At this point they either release close to Sony's console (PS6 instantly tells the audience that a new generation is coming) or they are left in the middle where people think the new Xbox generation is just their take on the PS5 Pro.

sendit

We already had them before. And none of the fears over them really materialised.
The one thing we haven’t had until this generation was Phil’s plan to win next gen. Which was to release both the base and mid gen refresh at the same time. All
the fear mongering from 3 years ago are now materializing.

Last edited:

Gambit2483

I don't think there's anyone here that seriously thinks MS still has a chance @ "winning" this generation (at this point). Everything they are doing now this Gen is to shore up the next generation and repair the damage that was done last generation.

Last edited:

sendit

I don't think there's anyone here that seriously thinks MS still has a chance @ "winning" this generation (at this point). Everything they are doing now this Gen is to shore up the next generation and repair the damage that was done last generation.

Microsoft for this generation is closely catching up to the damage that was done last gen.

Reallink

Phil stuck in the 1990s, $200 isn't a consumer price benchmark in 2023 and was a retarded ass goal to chase. Modern teens are paid $20/hr to stand around in retail or fast food stores, and literally 90% of them have $1000+ phones. Ain't nobody interested in a $200 Series Pauper.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

Why does anybody take anything he says seriously? Or any other person in a similar role for that matter?

A person's seniority and how full of shit they are, are always directly proportional.

Last edited:

sendit

Phil stuck in the 1990s, $200 isn't a consumer price benchmark in 2023 and was a retarded ass goal to chase. Modern teens are paid $20/hr to stand around in retail or fast food stores, and literally 90% of them have $1000+ phones. Ain't nobody interested in a $200 Series Pauper.

Don't forget every retailers asking for tips now......Fuck the tipping culture. Visited Japan a few years ago, and not one option to provide a tip or anyone asking for it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom