• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic acquires ArtStation

Bryank75

Banned

"At Epic, ArtStation will continue to operate as an independently branded platform while collaborating closely with the Unreal Engine team," Epic said. "By joining forces, the ArtStation and Unreal Engine teams will be able to empower the creative community with expanded tools, resources, and connections."

While Epic said that artists will be able to continue to use ArtStation as they have previously, it did roll out two immediate changes to the site.
First off, Epic is lowering the standard platform-holder fee on the ArtStation Marketplace from a 30% cut of sales to 12%, bringing it in line with what Epic takes from revenues generated by third-party developers on the Epic Games Store.

Second, it will make the ArtStation Learning streaming video service free for ArtStation subscribers for the remainder of the year.

ArtStation is the latest in a series of acquisitions Epic Games. Since the beginning of 2019, Epic has acquired 3Lateral, Agog Labs, Psyonix, Twinmotion, Houseparty, Quixel, Cubic Motion, Hyprsense, SuperAwesome, RAD Tools, Tonic Games Group, Capturing Reality, and a North Carolina shopping mall to serve as its new headquarters.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Star Trek Picard GIF by Paramount+

FStubbs

I thought it said EA at first and I was preparing the usual graveyard meme but I guess Epic/Tencent are beefing up Unreal content producers?

Rat Rage

Yeah, now it feels like everyone is bound by the same rules.
It may result in a more productive workforce (since everyone is speaking the same "development language"), but it also makes games feel and look too similar.

In a couple of years, the Unreal Engine will probably introduce a new feature: the "create a game button". Once pressed, the engine will randomly generate the millionth third person cinematic walking simulator all by itself.

Bryank75

Banned
So this is how they spend Sony's $450 million. Buying websites.

Sony shouldve just given it to me. I wouldve greenlit Days Gone 2. Death Stranding 2. Cancelled Death Loop. And spent the rest on hookers.
450 million injected into Epic games to help Tencent take over gaming and 1.8 billion for stock buybacks to enrich short term investors in Sony, that has no longterm benefit to the company at all.....

Very very odd decisions on how to use their cash but I don't want to get too far off topic.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
450 million injected into Epic games to help Tencent take over gaming and 1.8 billion for stock buybacks to enrich short term investors in Sony, that has no longterm benefit to the company at all.....

Very very odd decisions on how to use their cash but I don't want to get too far off topic.
I was joking but you do make a good point.

Spacefish

if you're an artist this is probably good news, the last major portfolio website just vanished one day and fucked everyone. Artstation was about to dive in with NFT's which would have caused so much backlash it may have torn up the site. I'm hoping with epic money they don't do anything dumb. It's mostly just a good place to find game dev work if you're an artist. Epic will probably merge their unreal courses into artstation to capture mindshare among professionals. It's a pretty smart move since almost all artists in the western game industry have eyes on the site.

Last edited:

CitizenZ

Banned
Epic has acquired 3Lateral, Agog Labs, Psyonix, Twinmotion, Houseparty, Quixel, Cubic Motion, Hyprsense, SuperAwesome, RAD Tools, Tonic Games Group, Capturing Reality, and a North Carolina shopping mall to serve as its new headquarters.

Total revenue from acquisitions and exclusives- Zero.zero.

Spacefish

Epic is becoming to 3D content creation what Adobe is to 2D content creation.
And they're also investing on creating and acquiring storefronts for 3D content, not only on tooling.

If they ever buy Adobe, there is no avoiding them (Epic/Tencent)
nobody can ever own 3d content creation because the sleeping giant is blender, in 5-10 years it will be industry standard. Adobe is absolute cancer, everyone would benefit if Epic bought them, they have the most scummy business practises in the industry.

e&e

Banned
It's not a design choice, it's how the engine was built.
You could change it from scratch, but nobody does that, not even AAA companies because it's not viable and you're locking yourself from future updates of the underlying system.
The main reason for using a third party engine is that you don't have to write all the underlying systems from scratch, and instead focus on making your game.

The tradeoff is that you have to deal with the fact that some things will behave and look in a very specific way.
Nah, it’s a design choice. You can change particle effects in probably one day/afternoon or less.

Last edited:

Dacon

Banned
So this is how they spend Sony's $450 million. Buying websites.

Sony shouldve just given it to me. I wouldve greenlit Days Gone 2. Death Stranding 2. Cancelled Death Loop. And spent the rest on hookers.

Don't know much about Artstation do you? Artstation is a direct tap into thousands of fantastic artists that they can easily source for whatever project they want. This is an investment.

Top Bottom