• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EPA Chief Scott Pruitt: Science shouldn't dictate American policy

Previous

check out my new Swatch
6Qf2JiS.png

Tigress

I like some one on reddit's comment, he shouldn't get the benefit of modern medicine then. If he doesn't think that we should be using science to dictate policy (especially policy when it comes to an agency that deals with environmental affects), then he shouldn't get the benefit of science either. If he thinks science is that useless than obviousl he has no use of it. Oh, also take away all his technology and everything science gave him. He obviously doesn't think it's useful in advancing our lives.

Kirye

Science, backed up by facts and years of investigations, shouldn't dictate American policy.

But religion, an essentially made up set of ancient rules that for the most part inhibits certain people's ability to live life the way they want to, should play huge parts in policy.

Yeah, that makes total sense.

Lime

The reason why is incredibly simple: Acceptance of an eclipse probably doesn’t lose this administration votes, but acceptance of climate science does.

No, you don't lose votes from accepting climate science, you lose financial backing from the companies and rich people with an interest in continuing the status quo.

there aren't enough scientists in the capitol

might be a long-term problem when anyone with a brain chooses to avoid politics so that they don't have to deal with dumbasses like this guy on a daily basis

SoulUnison

Banned
Idk that site sure has a pro-science slant to it. Why don't we see what both sides think of the issue?

I know you're being sarcastic - at least, I think - this "everything needs to be fair and balanced" bullshit needs to stop.
Some issues are legitimately just slanted if not entirely one-sided. Pretending every side deserves equal representation just makes every standpoint seem equally valid.

Lime

There are too many stupid people in the USA that legitimately believe climate change is fake/BS and think negatively of science.

Edit:
My citation: http://scholars.unh.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1292&context=carsey

I bet you that voters would rally much more behind the scientific consensus if the political landscape and opinion-makers would simply not be so hostile and dismissive against science. The reason why they think negatively of science in this regard is because they've been told by politicians and opinon-makers - if they were told otherwise by the same people, I bet you that they'd come around.

You freaking idiot. If you're bringing religion into this, God is all about science when it comes to the Earth! He's not gonna save you from the climate changing cause it's your responsibility to help fix the Earth and it's environmental problems!

Data is backed by the evidence. What good does it do to reject it cause of your ego?!

Zolo

I bet you that voters would rally much more behind the scientific consensus if the political landscape and opinion-makers would simply not be so hostile and dismissive against science. The reason why they think negatively of science in this regard is because they've been told by politicians and opinon-makers - if they were told otherwise by the same people, I bet you that they'd come around.

I'd also argue it has to do with an increasing # of the population becoming more non-religious. As more people become educated, they don't just accept evolution as an unproven theory, and other concepts that tend to push people more to not being as religious.

Kvik

Sometimes I wished all democracy can be replaced by technocracy.

One of the mandates would be to consign those flat-earthers into a life of indentured servitude in perpetuity.

Maybe humanity would be halfway through becoming a star-faring race by then.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Facts and reality shouldn't dictate how you do stuff. Only feelings of inadequacy and impotence.

mcw

Nobody that calls themselves Christian will ever speak out against this kind of shit, because they've been trained from birth to accept lies as truth.

Facts and reality shouldn't dictate how you do stuff. Only feelings of inadequacy and impotence.

Cool.

I don't feel like paying taxes.

Or obeying laws generally.

Can I live a tax free life according to those people? Tax is some sort of science-y math witchcraft that shouldn't dictate policy.

I hope that one day, the last trace of humanity left in the uninhabitable zones of the earth is a gigantic picture of this man and James Inhofe with a snowball on the senate floor, visible from space.

sangreal

This asshat has one fucking job yet literally promotes everything except protecting the environment. He has no fucking clue what his role is supposed to be. Yes I realize that he was appointed to make sure the EPA is ineffective but he actually does not know what the EPA is supposed to do

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/06/18/pruitts-predecessors-pan-epa-originalism-philosophy-239669

Even if the EPA was still supposed to do nothing but clean up toxic waste like he incorrectly believes, he sucks at that too since he lined those programs up first on the chopping block

Couleurs

All right Trump voters, please explain this to me.

Good luck getting any NeoGAF Trump voters to reply here; they only come out of hiding when it's time to cry when they feel they are being persecuted by the GAF liberal hive mind. Weirdly enough they can never actually come out to defend Republican policies or beliefs.

gaugebozo

There are too many stupid people in the USA that legitimately believe climate change is fake/BS and think negatively of science.

Edit:
My citation: http://scholars.unh.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1292&context=carsey
Holy shit. 100% of the people who voted but didn't vote for president thought we should do more with renewables, and 99% thought climate change is happening, and it's human caused? I know a pretty good candidate who had something to say about those issues, dipshits.

Top Bottom