• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Embracer will cancel games and close more studios to save costs

People don't realize how hard it is to run multiple studios. It's not easy to just buy your way into this and manage more and more studios without track record and experience in doing it.

The only company that I've really seen have success at scale is Sony and they've really worked with studios for years prior to buying them, which is why they get the organic moniker and we still have to see how successful they will be with the latest round of purchases. Previous acquisitions working out doesn't guarantee success for future M&A.

Spider-Man 2 for example will be Insomniac's first major AAA title since being acquired by Sony. The title has some warning signs and I'm not necessarily seeing what we would have hoped in terms of expanded ambition. This isn't looking like Metal Gear Solid to Metal Gear Solid 2 or for more recent examples Red Dead to Red Dead 2, but I guess you have to look at the timeline there. There was 8 years between the Red Dead games. There has been 5 years in between Spider-Man games, and that's entirely wrapped up within the pandemic.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Great. Then what was the fucking point of buying all these studios?
Securing that $2 billion deal. The equivalent of tech bro companies taking on massive losses to build up a subscriber base. It's not to make a sustainable business, it is to be acquired. Now they have to figure out how to make a sustainable business.

ReBurn

Gold Member
yeah the newer team did a 💩 job, to bad what happened to the legacy, the original SR and RF are great games.
Saints Row could have been a success if they would have named it something else. Replacing the Third Street Saints with zoomers looking to pay off student loans was just stupid. They should fire the writers and keep the devs.

Last edited:
The shit talking in protect the pimp was some of the most funnest and funniest memories I've ever had in the 360 days. Also, those pipebom tripping physics had me rolling in tears.

Pimp_f3213f_1927181.gif

Dane

I dunno what's the logic behind Embracer buying a bunch of mobile and unknown studios to be subsidiaries of their subsidiaries, small stuff like that would be merged into the parent companies entities.

Boss Mog

I'll never understand why SE sold Eidos Montreal and Crystal Dynamics (along with the DE and TR franchises) for chump change and even less why they sold it to Embracer group. You're gonna tell me that neither Sony nor MS would've been interested in picking these quality studios/IPs up, especially for chump change. Doubt.gif

Cyberpunkd

Great. Then what was the fucking point of buying all these studios?
To trick Saudis into giving them 2bln. But as terrible as they are it seems Saudis are really good with numbers so they probably saw incredible bloat throughout the company.

skit_data

I'll never understand why SE sold Eidos Montreal and Crystal Dynamics (along with the DE and TR franchises) for chump change and even less why they sold it to Embracer group. You're gonna tell me that neither Sony nor MS would've been interested in picking these quality studios/IPs up, especially for chump change. Doubt.gif
They were sold during the ABK shenanigans, either one would probably not want to buy them during it because it would probably lessen their case. MS especially would not want to face further scrutiny on top of what they already faced.

Hudo

What developers and games are on the chopping block ?
They've already closed the newly formed Campfire Cabal, which was the "successor studio" of Logic Artists, the guys and gals who made the Expeditions games and were apparently working on a new Expeditions game (THQ does have the IP). Expeditions: Rome was great and made profit and yet they've closed the studio.

So, all I can say is: Fuck Embracer. The one thing I was excited for, they shut down.

Top Bottom