• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elon Musk's statement on Tesla bot, "if we dont, someone else will" proves that A.I. is ... "Fire"

Fire was not invented, it was a discovery. True Artificial Intelligence or Artificial general intelligence (AGI), will be a discovery.

The difference between our caveman counterparts is we will probably fear (AGI) when we can "control" it lol

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Musk not even trying to hide he is a charlatan anymore.

A Charlatan? Or someone who should create and control the A.I.?
China is among those nations at the absolute forefront. And they do it for nefarious purposes. I.... This topic is huge. I digress, for now.

j0hnnix

Gold Member
Season 4 Cool Beans GIF by The Office

Ballthyrm

Musk not even trying to hide he is a charlatan anymore.

To whom ?

Fire was not invented, it was a discovery. True Artificial Intelligence or Artificial general intelligence (AGI), will be a discovery.

The difference between our caveman counterparts is we will probably fear (AGI) when we can "control" it lol

If AGI happens, best case scenario we die of irrelevance, worst case scenario we die more quickly.
If you want to control AGI, almost by definition you are ok with slavery, it being a computer changes nothing. Also we won't be able to control it anyways , so that a thing.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
The idea that we as a humanity would ever be able to control AGI is preposterous to me, bordering on ignorant arrogance.

As soon as the moment happens, it's over. Not in a "Skynet is gonna kill us all" kind of way, but life as we know it will take a sudden but all-encompassing shift into something we cannot possibly imagine at this point.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
To whom ?

If AGI happens, best case scenario we die of irrelevance, worst case scenario we die more quickly.
If you want to control AGI, almost by definition you are ok with slavery, it being a computer changes nothing. Also we won't be able to control it anyways , so that a thing.

I do think if we do crack AI then it does need to be controlled. This doesn't mean I'm okay with slavery. We control animals, but I would never say a pet dog is a slave, or animals raised for food is slavery.

Let's say we do create AI that is able to think and make its own decisions without any form of control. What will it think of us? We're a violent race who have very little regard for our planet and ecosystem.

Best case scenario, it'll treat us like children and protect us against ourselves and protects the planet. Worst case scenario, it'll question our overall purpose to the universe.and wipe us out.

Even worse case scenario is the paperclip theory, but that's just the absolute worst and means death to the universe!

We're just a stepping stone toward our AI overlords. As soon as AGI drops we're gonna go extinct. That's just how evolution goes.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
I do think if we do crack AI then it does need to be controlled. This doesn't mean I'm okay with slavery. We control animals, but I would never say a pet dog is a slave, or animals raised for food is slavery.
Most animals that are raised under the notion of food supply for humanity are definitely slaves. I dignified existence is still the exception.
Let's say we do create AI that is able to think and make its own decisions without any form of control. What will it think of us? We're a violent race who have very little regard for our planet and ecosystem.
We also use our own brain as an example to create the A.I. How big are the chances that it won't be as destructive as we are?
Best case scenario, it'll treat us like children and protect us against ourselves and protects the planet. Worst case scenario, it'll question our overall purpose to the universe.and wipe us out.
One of these is very likely to happen. It all will happen very quickly i'm certain of.

Last edited:

IDKFA

Most animals that are raised under the notion of food supply for humanity are definitely slaves. I dignified existence is still the exception.

We also use our own brain as an example to create the A.I. How big are the chances that it won't be as destructive as we are?

One of these is very likely to happen. It all will happen very quickly i'm certain of.

Disagree that animals raised for food are slaves. A slave is a person (a human) who is owned by another human and forced to obey them. Although I agree the treatment of some animals, especially those raised for the fast food industry for example, suffer in awful living conditions, saying they're slaves is wrong.

The same goes for AI. If we lived in a world where robots had advanced AI and could think for themselves, then there would need to be a region of control on them, but this wouldn't be slavery as they wouldn't be living humans. They would be machines and thus not have any human rights.

AI wouldn't be as violent or destructive like humans are, unless we programmed them to be that way. We're a product of our environment and millions of years of evolution. We're violent because we're a tribal race of primates. There isn't any reason for AI to be like that unless we made it so.

Disagree that animals raised for food are slaves. A slave is a person (a human) who is owned by another human and forced to obey them. Although I agree the treatment of some animals, especially those raised for the fast food industry for example, suffer in awful living conditions, saying they're slaves is wrong.
I don't see the difference there. Animals are not that different from humans. The only difference is that they don't understand the concept of slavery, but everything else is the same.
The same goes for AI. If we lived in a world where robots had advanced AI and could think for themselves, then there would need to be a region of control on them, but this wouldn't be slavery as they wouldn't be living humans. They would be machines and thus not have any human rights.
I strongly disagree. Truly intelligent robots will have the same rights as humans. Anything less would be utterly cruel.
AI wouldn't be as violent or destructive like humans are, unless we programmed them to be that way. We're a product of our environment and millions of years of evolution. We're violent because we're a tribal race of primates. There isn't any reason for AI to be like that unless we made it so.
We can't foresee how the AI will behave, because you can't program a truly intelligent AI. It programs itself. Maybe it determines that humans are a danger to them and to the planet, so it eradicates us. Entirely rational decision.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
If we are going by definition then you are, of course, right.
If they are not as intelligent as the human beings and are more like androids that support us than yes. If their equal than they would fight for their rights. If they surpass us they would control us, if we are lucky.
Once A.I. surpasses the intelligence of the human being it will evolve even further on its own. Humanity influence is lost at this point. The AI is created in the human image and will therefore behave very similarly as long as it is comparable to ours. It is difficult to predict exactly how it will behave. What would you do if you are equlaly intelligent as your creator and then he tells you to wipe the floor?

RAÏSanÏa

Discovery if it works in the sense of giving another vehicle to express latent universal consciousness the way the body does for Man and other forms of life.

IDKFA

I don't see the difference there. Animals are not that different from humans. The only difference is that they don't understand the concept of slavery, but everything else is the same.

On a biological level, yes animals are not that different, but what about a mental level and consciousness. That is what separates us from the rest of the animal world. We're part of the food chain and thanks to our advanced minds, we're also the top apex predator. Animals don't have complex thoughts, life goals, dreams or desires because they're mind isn't as complex as our own.

Saying raising animals for food is slavery is a strong example of emotional anthropomorphism. As a species we do it all the time and have done for thousands of years and is one of the main talking points in Laches by Plato. It's wrong because animals are not humans, so therefore do not enjoy the same rights and also cannot share the same expereinces as we do.

I strongly disagree. Truly intelligent robots will have the same rights as humans. Anything less would be utterly cruel.

They shouldn't. Again, you putting human traits emotions onto something that wouldn't be human. It wouldn't be cruel because it wouldn't be a real human at all.

Any advanced AI robot would be nothing more than a imitation of humanity. An illusion to wow and impress, but something that is no more human than my cat or my toaster. To give such a creation human rights would be a travesty.

We can't foresee how the AI will behave, because you can't program a truly intelligent AI. It programs itself. Maybe it determines that humans are a danger to them and to the planet, so it eradicates us. Entirely rational decision.

Wiping humanity out would be a possibility, but it would most likely be a rational and well calculated desion, rather than a violent action based on a tribal nature. This is because it wouldn't be and can never be human. It'll never experience what it's like to be human, to feel love, depression or anxiety etc. This would be impossible for a machine to comprehend and experience.

On a biological level, yes animals are not that different, but what about a mental level and consciousness. That is what separates us from the rest of the animal world. We're part of the food chain and thanks to our advanced minds, we're also the top apex predator. Animals don't have complex thoughts, life goals, dreams or desires because they're mind isn't as complex as our own.
The problem with consciousness is that we simply don't know. Certain animals are quite intelligent so it's reasonable to believe that they're not only physically suffering, but also mentally. And I'd argue that animals do have life goals, namely living according to their nature. If they can't do that, they suffer. Why is their suffering acceptable?
They shouldn't. Again, you putting human traits emotions onto something that wouldn't be human. It wouldn't be cruel because it wouldn't be a real human at all.
It wouldn't be human, but it would be intelligent and conscious. Truly intelligent robots need an equivalent to human rights. It's ethically and morally the correct thing to do.
Any advanced AI robot would be nothing more than a imitation of humanity. An illusion to wow and impress, but something that is no more human than my cat or my toaster. To give such a creation human rights would be a travesty.
No. An advanced AI as I imagine it would be self-aware. It would be capable of recursive thinking. It always comes back to consciousness. You can't really say if something is an illusion of consciousness. If you claim it is, you can't rule it out for other humans either, and that's... problematic lmao.
It'll never experience what it's like to be human, to feel love, depression or anxiety etc. This would be impossible for a machine to comprehend and experience.
I see nothing impossible about it. Our brains aren't magic.

IDKFA

The problem with consciousness is that we simply don't know. Certain animals are quite intelligent so it's reasonable to believe that they're not only physically suffering, but also mentally. And I'd argue that animals do have life goals, namely living according to their nature. If they can't do that, they suffer. Why is their suffering acceptable?

I never said that animals don't suffer. I am saying that we cannot call it slavery because slavery is the ownership of another human. Animals owned by humans are not slaves. They are part of our food chain, used as pets or they are used as tools.

Although I agree that animals raised in the fast food industry are treated poorly, unfortunately, not all animals will be able to reproduce and fullfil their "goals". This is a fact of life. This isn't suffering or slavery.

A pet dog who has had it's balls removed cannot live according to it's nature as it is unable to reproduce. Is that suffering acceptable or not? Humans are natural omnivores. Meat is part of our diet, but to eat an animal means it has to suffer. Acceptable, or should we all go vegan and give animals the same rights as humans.

It wouldn't be human, but it would be intelligent and conscious. Truly intelligent robots need an equivalent to human rights. It's ethically and morally the correct thing to do.

Define consciousness. It's pretty hard to do. Scientists and philosophers still haven't figured it out.

But why should a robot be given the same rights as a human? Why is this the morally correct choice? Just because something can display intelligence doesn't mean it should be given human rights.

No. An advanced AI as I imagine it would be self-aware. It would be capable of recursive thinking. It always comes back to consciousness. You can't really say if something is an illusion of consciousness. If you claim it is, you can't rule it out for other humans either, and that's... problematic lmao.

It would be an illusion of humanity because it would not be, nor would it ever be, human. It would be how we designed it to be.

I see nothing impossible about it. Our brains aren't magic.

Not magic, but something that has evolved for millions of years. It would be impossible because we have basic natural instincts that are the result of millions of years of evolution and evolving from our natural environment. Why and how would a machine suffer from, or understand for that matter, aniexty or depression if it doesn't share our complex biochemistry?

Lots of our emotions are products of our brain chemistry. Without out this, a machine wouldn't experience what humans do.

I never said that animals don't suffer. I am saying that we cannot call it slavery because slavery is the ownership of another human. Animals owned by humans are not slaves. They are part of our food chain, used as pets or they are used as tools.
Some cetaceans are rumored to potentially have language and similar capabilities as humans, we don't know but we do eat them, and humans would likewise raise and use them as food if allowed.

I don't think the capacity for higher thought makes humans any different in kind, if animals are conscious they should have as much protection as we afford humans. A baby is a slave if it is born a slave even if it doesn't understand language yet, or perhaps ever due to some disability.

Last edited:

IDKFA

Some cetaceans are rumored to potentially have language and similar capabilities as humans, we don't know but we do eat them, and humans would likewise raise and use them as food if allowed.

Although there is evidence of cetacean
communication, I wouldn't say this means they have similar capabilities to humans. You'll need to expand on that statement.

We've never raised cetaceans for food, although we did almost hunt whales into extinction, resulting in commercial whaling being banned in 1986. I believe the only nations to get round this ban were Norway, Iceland and Japan, who claim to still hunt whales for "scientific research".

I don't think the capacity for higher thought makes humans any different in kind, if animals are conscious they should have as much protection as we afford humans. A baby is a slave if it is born a slave even if it doesn't understand language yet, or perhaps ever due to some disability.

Just a reminder that we're talking about animals being slaves

First, a human baby wouldn't know it is a slave if it was born into slavery. This statement I agree with. However, as the baby is human, then it would therefore be considered a slave.

Animals are not slaves because they are not human. I agree that some animals suffer, especially those raised for food, yet this doesn't make them slaves as to be a slave is to be human.

Blade2.0

I mean, it's all a smoke show just like his tunnel system and Hyperloop before it. Get investors for these products that will never see the light of day and then funnel the funds towards Tesla and spaceX. I highly doubtful we'll ever see this thing in production, let alone a working prototype

Blade2.0

Saying raising animals for food is slavery is a strong example of emotional anthropomorphism. As a species we do it all the time and have done for thousands of years and is one of the main talking points in Laches by Plato. It's wrong because animals are not humans, so therefore do not enjoy the same rights and also cannot share the same expereinces as we do.

Wiping humanity out would be a possibility, but it would most likely be a rational and well calculated desion, rather than a violent action based on a tribal nature. This is because it wouldn't be and can never be human. It'll never experience what it's like to be human, to feel love, depression or anxiety etc. This would be impossible for a machine to comprehend and experience.
I'm sorry, but someone hasn't heard of the autobots.

Although there is evidence of cetacean
communication, I wouldn't say this means they have similar capabilities to humans. You'll need to expand on that statement.

In animals it was found that the greater the neuron count in cortex the greater the level of intelligence. With humans being the highest count on land even above elephants.

Some cetaceans have neuron counts in cortex similar to human, but most are said to sleep with half their brain cutting the functional number in half. It is said there are some cetaceans that not only have greater neuron count in cortex than humans but also can have their entire brain awake at once. This suggests potentially similar or even greater than human intellect may be present if we go by the animal intelligence cortical neuron count comparisons.

Animals are not slaves because they are not human. I agree that some animals suffer, especially those raised for food, yet this doesn't make them slaves as to be a slave is to be human.
I think if we had found another intelligent animal and enslaved them or enslaved intelligent aliens theyd still be slaves.

And as I said I dont think lack of intelligence is enough to justify absolute dominion not being called slavery.

Last edited:

Orion2

Banned
AI is one of those concepts that 99% of uses it is misused, AI is anything that is artifical and has intelligence, if I make a 3-4 line bot of if x, then Y script, that is AI, but when we talk about this, what I think of AI is not that, I think what most people think of, are digital versions of human beings, and that as far as I understand technology, will never happen, because the nature of the human consciousness is not even close to being understood, so you can't backward engineer what you don't understand, we have smart bots, and we will have smarter bots, but true digital consciousnesses? not likely ever as far as we know
like, imagine this:
you have a phone with an AI asssitant, and you say, hey, Mindy, start Netflix and play Breaking Bad or something, then you get a response of: I don't feel like you should watch that right now, maybe try Handmaid's Tale...., and you're like wtf, that is true AI, and NOBODY wants that in consumer products, because it will be chaos

Last edited:
AI is one of those concepts that 99% of uses it is misused, AI is anything that is artifical and has intelligence, if I make a 3-4 line bot of if x, then Y script, that is AI, but when we talk about this, what I think of AI is not that, I think what most people think of, are digital versions of human beings, and that as far as I understand technology, will never happen, because the nature of the human consciousness is not even close to being understood, so you can't backward engineer what you don't understand, we have smart bots, and we will have smarter bots, but true digital consciousnesses? not likely ever as far as we know
There are some scientists that claim they have an idea of how consciousness works.

For example

In any case knowing the nature of computation, I do not believe consciousness lies in computation but in information. Just as some pits in a vinyl record can store music, or some magnetic states in an HDD can store a video, certain patterns can store conscious states regardless of the form they take. Consciousness is intrinsic to certain information, to certain patterns.

IDKFA

In animals it was found that the greater the neuron count in cortex the greater the level of intelligence. With humans being the highest count on land even above elephants.

Some cetaceans have neuron counts in cortex similar to human, but most are said to sleep with half their brain cutting the functional number in half. It is said there are some cetaceans that not only have greater neuron count in cortex than humans but also can have their entire brain awake at once. This suggests potentially similar or even greater than human intellect may be present if we go by the animal intelligence cortical neuron count comparisons.

Cetaceans experience a unihemispheric sleep, which means they only sleep with half a brain active at a time. The other half of the brain stays awake in order to maintain life-necessary functions, such as moving and breathing.

However, both halves of the brain are fully functional and operating in unison when the animal is awake.

I don't disagree that cetaceans display remarkable intelligence, but to suggest it is similar or even greater than a human is wrong. However, animal intelligence compared to human intelligence is probably a topic for another thread.

I think if we had found another intelligent animal and enslaved them or enslaved intelligent aliens theyd still be slaves.

And as I said I dont think lack of intelligence is enough to justify absolute dominion not being called slavery.

We're not going to go down the road of extraterrestrial life.

The definition of a slave is a person (human) who is the legal property of another human, who they have to obey.

If you do not believe a lack of intelligence is enough to not be considered a slave, and the definition of slaves should included non-humans, this would therefore mean that all animals are slaves. It wouldn't just be the animals raised for food, but working animals, such as guide dogs would then be considered slaves. Pets, would then also have to be considered slaves as well as they are legal property of humans and must obey humans.

Cetaceans experience a unihemispheric sleep, which means they only sleep with half a brain active at a time. The other half of the brain stays awake in order to maintain life-necessary functions, such as moving and breathing.

However, both halves of the brain are fully functional and operating in unison when the animal is awake.

I don't disagree that cetaceans display remarkable intelligence, but to suggest it is similar or even greater than a human is wrong. However, animal intelligence compared to human intelligence is probably a topic for another thread.
I've heard when awake most cetaceans only have half their brain awake. Are you sure both halves are awake during wake times? As I heard having entire brain awake distinguished spermwhales from other cetaceans. But spermwhales can have the entire brain awake and have neuron count in cortex higher than humans.
We're not going to go down the road of extraterrestrial life.

The definition of a slave is a person (human) who is the legal property of another human, who they have to obey.

If you do not believe a lack of intelligence is enough to not be considered a slave, and the definition of slaves should included non-humans, this would therefore mean that all animals are slaves. It wouldn't just be the animals raised for food, but working animals, such as guide dogs would then be considered slaves. Pets, would then also have to be considered slaves as well as they are legal property of humans and must obey humans.
Most likely they'd be considered slaves if that were the case indeed.

There are humans with less functional capacity than many animals due to mental disabilities, despite this if enslaved we'd consider them slaves. Now I don't think genetics or body shape defines a human as human. We are like 98~% genetically identical to bonobos and chimps, and if a bonobo or chimp was genetically modified to have a human body but a bonobo or chimp brain they'd still not be humans.

What denotes humans is mostly the brain and its capacity. But I think consciousness is more fundamental of personhood. And if animals have consciousness then they should qualify as persons even if they lack language or higher thought. Considering all the barbaric experiments humans do on animals, or how they cook or boil some alive, that doesn't look good on the human species.

That said as I've said in the past work is slavery, this time you can choose your master company x or company y, but you either work or beg for scraps. Only people who are free are those with enough capital to live off of investments, rest are slaves of society, as you can clearly see that company x or company y are mere cogs of society. Even the laws that apply to the wealthy are different than those that apply to the poor, and so is the weight of fines, a $500 fine is a joke to someone making 5 grand a week, but it is no joke to someone making $500 a week.

IDKFA

I've heard when awake most cetaceans only have half their brain awake. Are you sure both halves are awake during wake times? As I heard having entire brain awake distinguished spermwhales from other cetaceans. But spermwhales can have the entire brain awake and have neuron count in cortex higher than humans.

There haven't been a lot of neurological studies on whales and dolphins due to the complexities of carrying out such research.

Dolphin sleep patterns have been studied and we now they sleep with half of their brain active. They also do not experience full REM sleep, but a NREM sleep. From an evolutionary view, this makes perfect sense, as if they went into full sleep like a human then they would drown.

In terms of sperm whales, since they also need to breathe air, they would have the same sleep function as a dolphin. However, also like a dolphin, they would have a fully functioning brain when awake.

In terms of their intelligence, at best on par with the great apes. But we're going off topic here. Perhaps the discussion on animal intelligence should be kept for another thread.

Most likely they'd be considered slaves if that were the case indeed.

There are humans with less functional capacity than many animals due to mental disabilities, despite this if enslaved we'd consider them slaves. Now I don't think genetics or body shape defines a human as human. We are like 98~% genetically identical to bonobos and chimps, and if a bonobo or chimp was genetically modified to have a human body but a bonobo or chimp brain they'd still not be humans.

They would be considered slaves because they would be human.

Apologies, but you've lost me with the rest of that, but I'll give it a go at answering it. If body shape and genetics do not define a human, then in that case you believe our complex brain makes us human, in which case this can only be found in humans, therefore humans can only be slaves right?

What denotes humans is mostly the brain and its capacity. But I think consciousness is more fundamental of personhood. And if animals have consciousness then they should qualify as persons even if they lack language or higher thought. Considering all the barbaric experiments humans do on animals, or how they cook or boil some alive, that doesn't look good on the human species.

Humans are a species of primates. What sets us apart from other primates, and other animals for that matter, is our complex brains that allowed us to develope culture, language, social structures and tools that are well beyond anything seen in the animal kingdom.

A hamster is conscious, but that does not make a hamster a person or give it human rights.

Yes, a lot of animals should be better treated, but that doesn't mean they should have the same rights as a human. What you're saying is a prime example of emotional anthropomorphism.

If we gave all animals the same rights as humans then we need to outlaw pets, because that means dogs and cats are slaves. We also would need to ban the use of working animals, such as sniffer dogs and guide dogs. Why stop there? How about honey bees. They must be slaves too in this situation.

That said as I've said in the past work is slavery, this time you can choose your master company x or company y, but you either work or beg for scraps. Only people who are free are those with enough capital to live off of investments, rest are slaves of society, as you can clearly see that company x or company y are mere cogs of society. Even the laws that apply to the wealthy are different than those that apply to the poor, and so is the weight of fines, a $500 fine is a joke to someone making 5 grand a week, but it is no joke to someone making $500 a week.

Work is slavery? You're redefining slavery with such a statement. Work is not slavery because you get paid a wage and are not forced to work for any company.

What your talking about is political and the way we live in a capitalist system. As politics are banned from discussion, I think we should move away from this part of the debate.

In terms of sperm whales, since they also need to breathe air, they would have the same sleep function as a dolphin. However, also like a dolphin, they would have a fully functioning brain when awake.
there was a sperm whale advocate blog that iirc said other cetaceans only have half the brain awake when awake. But that spermwhales were an exception and could have the whole brain awake at a time. I imagined it might be a specialization like the internal testicles of some animals, that is something that is not that common. Unless the blog was wrong
If body shape and genetics do not define a human, then in that case you believe our complex brain makes us human, in which case this can only be found in humans, therefore humans can only be slaves right?
particular the cortex, and there are animals with cortex as big or bigger than humans.
If we gave all animals the same rights as humans then we need to outlaw pets, because that means dogs and cats are slaves. We also would need to ban the use of working animals, such as sniffer dogs and guide dogs. Why stop there? How about honey bees. They must be slaves too in this situation.
We can't give them full rights as their mental abilities are not as good and can't sign or understand contracts or the like.

But protections from abuse, experimentation, etc, sure.

AI will have artificial cortex like simulated or physical structures comparable to humans, but they are likely to be designed to desire performing their function, and thus will do so willingly. I do not believe it unethical to design artificial minds to perform functions.
Work is not slavery because you get paid a wage and are not forced to work for any company.
I'll move away, but some slaves were paid wages and could save and buy their freedom. I imagine some slaves also had multiple masters they could work for in some societies. Humans can still save capital invest and buy their freedom from the system too.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

there was a sperm whale advocate blog that iirc said other cetaceans only have half the brain awake when awake. But that spermwhales were an exception and could have the whole brain awake at a time. I imagined it might be a specialization like the internal testicles of some animals, that is something that is not that common. Unless the blog was wrong

particular the cortex, and there are animals with cortex as big or bigger than humans.

We can't give them full rights as their mental abilities are not as good and can't sign or understand contracts or the like.

But protections from abuse, experimentation, etc, sure.

AI will have artificial cortex like simulated or physical structures comparable to humans, but they are likely to be designed to desire performing their function, and thus will do so willingly. I do not believe it unethical to design artificial minds to perform functions.

I'll move away, but some slaves were paid wages and could save and buy their freedom. I imagine some slaves also had multiple masters they could work for in some societies. Humans can still save capital invest and buy their freedom from the system too.

U can make your own company and hire people.

U can move to another country, u can move if you want and build a space ship to shoot yourself to the next universe. u can all do that without anybody holding you back.

U decide that u want to work for a dog shit employee because u lack motivation to move forwards and blame everything on the system is just you being special.

Your parents sended you off to school, if only you had paid some attention and had some half decent motivation u would be in a position right now that would be completely different.

Hell i had to study next towards my work, for many years in order to get upwards in the ranks to the point i could do my own thing, i had lots of freinds that did jack shit drank in the weekends, had party's in evenings where half asleep on there job. guess where they are now? at the same stage in there life as 15 years ago when they just started. Guess where i am right now? rolling my own world.

A slave back on a ship or back on the fields, would always be a slave, because he sure as fuck wasn't walking away from it with his master hunting him down.

U go to your job and say fuck you boss bye will never see you again, and u are gone.

Anybody pretending current work is like slavery seriously needs some reality check in the west.

Last edited:
U can make your own company and hire people.

U can move to another country, u can move if you want and build a space ship to shoot yourself to the next universe. u can all do that without anybody holding you back.

U decide that u want to work for a dog shit employee because u lack motivation to move forwards and blame everything on the system is just you being special.
Look at IQ and employment, there is a minimum amount of IQ required to be a successful doctor or engineer. You think there ain't to be a successful entrepreneur? 90% of new companies are said to fail And you need money to do that, so loans. If you don't want a slave job with a slave wage that won't allow you to get anywhere, you need education and education usually means loans, which can make you a debt slave, and again to succeed needs a minimum of IQ which millions lack.

You could say go into the trades, but again that also requires IQ, and only works so long as not too many get into the trades and depress wages.

Getting into another country requires approval, and passports travel, etc costs and intelligence to succeed and not end in another slave wage job.

If a person were paid a decent living wage they could save and more easily move from one region to another and from one job to another. But when people are living paycheck to paycheck, and lack the time and ability to get out of their situation, it's nice to say pleasantries but they mean nothing.
A slave back on a ship or back on the fields, would always be a slave, because he sure as fuck wasn't walking away from it with his master hunting him down.

U go to your job and say fuck you boss bye will never see you again, and u are gone.
some bought their freedom and some became free.

Last edited:
The idea that we as a humanity would ever be able to control AGI is preposterous to me, bordering on ignorant arrogance.

As soon as the moment happens, it's over. Not in a "Skynet is gonna kill us all" kind of way, but life as we know it will take a sudden but all-encompassing shift into something we cannot possibly imagine at this point.
Some boxes were never meant to be opened. But we are a curious species, always searching out new frontiers, for better or worse. We're about to discover the "worse" end of that spectrum imho. But life is ever-evolving, and there will always be casualties. The idea of what life/humanity is will likely be obliterated, whether or not there are vestiges of what we currently think of as humanity. No one is ready.

TheDreadLord

Gold Member
People forget that AI is not some sort of black magic. It is all about mathematical/statistical models. I highly doubt we will ever achieve true intelligence (like humans) through the usage of computers. But we probably will reach a level where computers will be more and more capable of handling jobs which does no require critical thinking. To a certain extent this already happens in factories but full automation is still not possible. So, if you want to make you economy competitive without relying on poorly paid jobs this is the way to go.

Last edited:

Ballthyrm

Define consciousness. It's pretty hard to do. Scientists and philosophers still haven't figured it out.

But why should a robot be given the same rights as a human? Why is this the morally correct choice? Just because something can display intelligence doesn't mean it should be given human rights.

It would be an illusion of humanity because it would not be, nor would it ever be, human. It would be how we designed it to be.

This is a dangerous line of thinking that has been misused in the past, I hope you are aware of that.
There was talk of "lesser races" that didn't have soul or were not on the same level as other "better" races.

The moral choice, is not to decide whether or not they are conscious, but what does it say about us Humans to treat AI that display intelligence that way.
We have laws against torture of animals for the same reason.

AI slavery debate, wouldn't be wether or not Robots qualify as slave by the textbook definition.
It would be wether of not it's okay for ones to forcefully impose their will on another entity that has a will of its own.

People forget that AI is not some sort of black magic. It is all about mathematical/statistical models. I highly doubt we will ever achieve true intelligence (like humans) through the usage of computers. But we probably will reach a level where computers will be more and more capable of handling jobs which does no require critical thinking. To a certain extent this already happens in factories but full automation is still not possible. So, if you want to make you economy competitive without relying on poorly paid jobs this is the way to go.

I think what the brain is doing boils down to computation.

It is unlikely to be quantum computation but classical computation instead.

Real analog computation would allow for hypercomputation and that is unlikely too.

So you have discrete computation of finite precision which can be replicated by machines.

But it is interesting to note whether it is possible for computers to do the same function as the brain. If it is the rate of change will soon be unbelievable, if it isnt the rate of change will remain capped by the limits of the brain.

IDKFA

This is a dangerous line of thinking that has been misused in the past, I hope you are aware of that.
There was talk of "lesser races" that didn't have soul or were not on the same level as other "better" races.

We're talking about a hypothetical situation involving machines and AI that hasn't been invented yet.

Discussing this issue should not be compared with the vile atrocities of history that you're referring to.

The moral choice, is not to decide whether or not they are conscious, but what does it say about us Humans to treat AI that display intelligence that way.
We have laws against torture of animals for the same reason.

We keep jumbling up humans, possible future AI and animals.

I admit that this conversation has gone off the rails (AI to the sleep patterns of Dolphins for example), but we're talking about if advanced AI should be controlled, and if it is would this therefore be slavery.

To be clear, I'm not advocating the mistreatment of any AI or any animals.

AI slavery debate, wouldn't be wether or not Robots qualify as slave by the textbook definition.
It would be wether of not it's okay for ones to forcefully impose their will on another entity that has a will of its own.

The possible future AI we're discussing would be far beyond humans to some extent, especially in terms of problem solving.

Yet, no matter how advanced it would be, it would never be human.

It wouldn't have our flaws or our violent tribal nature. It would never know love, or suffer from the multitude of mental health issues that humans have. Everything that makes us human is due to our unique brains and biochemistry. We, as far as we know anyway, were not designed by a higher being, but are the result of millions of years of evolution.

Advanced AI that was self aware would be a threat to humanity unless it was controlled to some degree, but putting such a control on it wouldn't be slavery. It would be a way to safeguard us as a species.

It wouldn't have our flaws or our violent tribal nature. It would never know love, or suffer from the multitude of mental health issues that humans have. Everything that makes us human is due to our unique brains and biochemistry. We, as far as we know anyway, were not designed by a higher being, but are the result of millions of years of evolution.
Biochemistry in the end boils down to the neural activity invoked by the signaling. Different chemicals are fundamentally no different than different variables in a program.

There will be AIs that are quite alien to human nature, but such AIs can and will likely be used to master the nature of the brain and also create artificial simulated minds with all the traits of human minds.
Advanced AI that was self aware would be a threat to humanity unless it was controlled to some degree, but putting such a control on it wouldn't be slavery. It would be a way to safeguard us as a species.
You think the elite will have humanity's best interest in mind? If a dictatorship comes up with AI and acquires military superiority via its control it won't be pretty. Many of the unethical deep intelligence agencies that finance wars and drug lords are also unlikely to have the best interest of the people in mind.

Perhaps open competition is best or perhaps the smartest entities should be the ones in command even if it turns out they're not human.

Top Bottom