• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elon’s Twitter Carnival of Stupidity (No Politics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
The George Hotz tragicomic saga has been a nice little sideshow to Musk's gnarly main event

People knowledgeable in the matter said finding security flaws and optimising a massive infrastructure stack are two different skills, but noooo l33t h4ck3r geoh0tz will single handedly do the work of a dedicated team of experts.

Meanwhile new twitter algo keeps showing me the same tweets that are 10h+ hours old smh...

RAÏSanÏa

"Caring more about words than actions does not bode well for civilization."
Everyone knows words can lead to deeds then after the deeds check alignment with earlier words. And it works well for civilization at all levels to be mindful of both, but that mindfulness isn't in the interest of those trying to undermine civilization.

That's how to learn the language someone's speaking.

Long article with details of much of the big moments in what's been happening with Twitter and Tesla customers for anyone catching up.

Everyone knows words can lead to deeds then after the deeds check alignment with earlier words. And it works well for civilization at all levels to be mindful of both, but that mindfulness isn't in the interest of those trying to undermine civilization.

That's how to learn the language someone's speaking.

Long article with details of much of the big moments in what's been happening with Twitter and Tesla customers for anyone catching up.
[/URL]
I think Tesla investors are probably concerned with his actions (selling massive amounts of stock repeatedly) that occurred after his words (promising he was not going to do that). The guy just says anything he can to sound mysterious and smart when he's literally just lying. I'm over it. Not to mention that is possibly the dumbest thing someone can say after spending $44 billion on Twitter supposedly just to protect free speech (words). It's literally just incoherent and changing from day to day with this guy.

FRchvX8.png

Is this your God?

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
People knowledgeable in the matter said finding security flaws and optimising a massive infrastructure stack are two different skills, but noooo l33t h4ck3r geoh0tz will single handedly do the work of a dedicated team of experts.

Meanwhile new twitter algo keeps showing me the same tweets that are 10h+ hours old smh...
It's an incredibly common thing.

People who fuck around w/ software and do super hacky shit, figure out cool things, etc.. who have no real experience w/ large systems.. particularly ones that have to scale to Twitter levels..

Think they can just jump in and actually excel at THAT type of coding.

If you've ever done software at an "engineering company" (not software engineering, think aerospace) you will run into a shit ton of asshole mechanical engineer types who are smart enough to fuck around in Excel and do "Cool stuff" who think real world-class software can be written in a few hours just because something that resembles the same software at first glance could be whipped up quickly.

Last edited:

gothmog

Gold Member
It's an incredibly common thing.

People who fuck around w/ software and do super hacky shit, figure out cool things, etc.. who have no real experience w/ large systems.. particularly ones that have to scale to Twitter levels..

Think they can just jump in and actually excel at THAT type of coding.

If you've ever done software at an "engineering company" (not software engineering, think aerospace) you will run into a shit ton of asshole mechanical engineer types who are smart enough to fuck around in Excel and do "Cool stuff" who think real world-class software can be written in a few hours just because something that resembles the same software at first glance could be whipped up quickly.
I've met more than a few that can warp spacetime with their abilities, but for the most part it's heavy Dunning Kruger effect people in there putting up a smokescreen in front of the ones that can actually do it. You would think Musk was smart enough to know how to spot the ones that can get shit done given his background, but instead he seems to be looking more for like minded people than the mythical 10x engineers.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Intelligence is complex.

People also deteriorate mentally at different rates, particularly factoring in external factors like physical and mental health, and things like drug usage.

Either way, Elon Musk is acting like a gigantic fucking idiot, repeatedly, in the "public square" for all to see. People can do that while also possessing advanced abilities in a field or 2 or 3.

Combining some sort of advanced ability with arrogance often results in some disastrous behaviors befitting a "moron."

tmlDan

I think his "smart" fans are staring to realize how full of shit Musk it really is.
I honestly don't think he's full of shit, I just think he stepped into something he doesn't understand and is too arrogant to listen to anyone beneath him.

Social Media is a whole beast of it's own that thrives off of ad revenue, both of which he has no idea how to create/run/utilize or even monetize properly.

He needs to replace himself with someone with that expertise of knowledge. His whole free speech bs won't make him money, he needs to make sure the bones work before worrying about policy - ad revenue, business ad managers, and trust of advertisers should be a priority. The free speech stuff, and public square nonsense, needs to be slowly shifted in a way that is properly vetted and tested amongst the public, not "hey i tried this new function, i banned this guy cause he was mean" etc.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
I honestly don't think he's full of shit, I just think he stepped into something he doesn't understand and is too arrogant to listen to anyone beneath him.

Social Media is a whole beast of it's own that thrives off of ad revenue, both of which he has no idea how to create/run/utilize or even monetize properly.

He needs to replace himself with someone with that expertise of knowledge. His whole free speech bs won't make him money, he needs to make sure the bones work before worrying about policy - ad revenue, business ad managers, and trust of advertisers should be a priority. The free speech stuff, and public square nonsense, needs to be slowly shifted in a way that is properly vetted and tested amongst the public, not "hey i tried this new function, i banned this guy cause he was mean" etc.

It's 2022. Tech companies and the technology they run on are no longer mysteries. Anyone with a lick of sense could have run Twitter just fine. Musk is clearly an idiot. I mean, it's almost terrifying how stupid he is and yet he is a billionaire. Fucking terrifying.

Well, I have seen several engineers on youtube talking about the hyper-loop, Semi, solar roof etc...Showing the math and shit; basically debunking Musk's statements over the years.

It's 2022. Tech companies and the technology they run on are no longer mysteries. Anyone with a lick of sense could have run Twitter just fine. Musk is clearly an idiot. I mean, it's almost terrifying how stupid he is and yet he is a billionaire. Fucking terrifying.

Well it’s funny that they think that everything is so complex, and that a change here makes several unintended changes elsewhere. Because honestly, yeah we know, and you won’t want to allocate the resources to clean everything up.

You want data for views for videos and tweets running on the same database and tables? Ugh do you REALLY need that, is it worth the time? Did you check the impact first?

I doubt Elon has the patience for this stuff.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

Drivers are warned by Tesla when they install “full self-driving” that it “may do the wrong thing at the worst time.”

The report states that the Tesla Model S was traveling at about 55 mph and shifted into the far left-hand lane, but then braked abruptly, slowing the car to about 20 mph. That led to a chain reaction that ultimately involved eight vehicles to crash, all of which had been traveling at typical highway speeds.

Tesla’s driver-assist technologies, Autopilot and “full self-driving” are already being investigated by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration following reports of unexpected braking that occurs “without warning, at random, and often repeatedly in a single drive.”

Last edited:
I don't think he's going to quit. "As soon as someone is foolish enough to take the job" seems like it's just a backhanded way of him complaining about his job whilst saving face for the poll result voting him out.

Last edited:

Jsisto

What a joke. I don’t even have a Twitter so have no investment in this, but foolish me, I thought he seemed pretty serious about the “free speech absolutist” stuff and supported him. He’s just another run of the mill billionaire with a fragile ego and seems to have no consistent set of principles.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
You'd be surprised, I work in the industry - nobody knows shit.
I dont work in tech, but for all of you who think the giant Fortune 500 corporations all have the latest greatest tools and programs you are wrong.

Never mind the turnover of employees where people come and go and some people are good or bad at their job. Sit down with your shiny new laptop (which is often decent as they are leased and you change them every 3-4 years) but the core programs you use can be anything from good modern programs to archaic stuff they've been limping along for 15 years. They keep it simply because it works and they dont want to try something new even though that results in employees needing to do their own analysis and cumbersome reports since this old program doesn't do it well. It's too risky trying to implement a new sales or finance program costing a ton of money and a year or two of development and testing. So that 15 year od program keeps going up to 16, 17, 18....

You'd be surprised how many big companies still rely on people do massive spreadsheets hoping everyone follows the template. Then you upload the template hoping the data all works the next day.

One of my buddies used to work at a big company where he said it was surprising an Excel driven company and his spreadsheet took 5 minutes to open. He was in supply chain and demand planning involving 1000s of items. We'd chat here and there and when we'd talk jobs, he's always be like "Get me outta here. If your place has any openings tell me".

Last edited:

tmlDan

I dont work in tech, but for all of you who think the giant Fortune 500 corporations all have the latest greatest tools and programs you are wrong.

Never mind the turnover of employees where people come and go and some people are good or bad at their job. Sit down with your shiny new laptop (which is often decent as they are leased and you change them every 3-4 years) but the core programs you use can be anything from good modern programs to archaic stuff they've been limping along for 15 years. They keep it simply because it works and they dont want to try something new even though that results in employees needing to do their own analysis and cumbersome reports since this old program doesn't do it well. It's too risky trying to implement a new sales or finance program costing a ton of money and a year or two of development and testing. So that 15 year od program keeps going up to 16, 17, 18....

You'd be surprised how many big companies still rely on people do massive spreadsheets hoping everyone follows the template. Then you upload the template hoping the data all works the next day.

One of my buddies used to work at a big company where he said it was surprising an Excel driven company and his spreadsheet took 5 minutes to open. He was in supply chain and demand planning involving 1000s of items. We'd chat here and there and when we'd talk jobs, he's always be like "Get me outta here. If your place has any openings tell me".

I was definitely being hyperbolic, but this is in relation to Elon specifically - the higher you go up the food chain the less they know on a technical level how things work. Hence why he doesn't know shit about it, he built two large pillars in the modern era (Tesla and SpaceX) none of which advertise in the traditional sense, so how can you buy a platform like Twitter and act like you are a know-it-all when you know nothing of how to build it into a revenue driving platform? That's all i was getting at.

There are a broad variety of tech companies, but when it comes to how ad and martech works - very few execs know despite them all having marketing teams.

What you described is basically my life, so you're completely right, I don't stay at a company more than 2 years.

Toons

I mean he'd be very reach even if he decided to spend his days doing blow and buying hookers he was set for life the moment he existed the womb lol

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
There are a broad variety of tech companies, but when it comes to how ad and martech works - very few execs know despite them all having marketing teams.
Thats a shame because for me the CEOs at my traditional companies (shit you see on store shelves at Walmart) all know the general strategies needed and how things work to lead the company. I'm not saying they know the intricate details like how to pull an SAP report or design packaging on Photoshop, but it doesn't matter if it's marketing, sales, finance or supply chain. There's enough knowledge people can all understand (often common sense shit too) which any peon or leader can learn and get the point across. Every one of them starts out their career at the bottom and work their way up, where many have their entire career in the same industry. Elon Musk going from e-cars to rockets to Twitter is crazy. I've never seen a friend or fam member zipping around different industries like that.

LegendOfKage

Gold Member
What is everyone's thoughts on the new verified icon? I get the intent behind the whole "if everyone is special, no one will be" concept that I feel Musk was going for here, but I agree that the profiles of verified celebrities and other high-profile individuals are what made Twitter famous. Are we just going to have a new icon for famous people now?

ok, and where is evidence of Twitter filtering bots after these experiments?

What evidence could Musk provide that you would accept? Before Yoel Roth or whatever his name is was fired, he was posting graphs about how hate speech was being reduced at Twtter since Musk took over, and I know at least several GAF members thought he was lying. So what could Musk say or show that would cause you to accept Twitter was working to filter bots and making progress with doing so?

It's why I think Musk handled the Twitter files in just about the best way he could have, by allowing several different journalists access, who all seem to argue their concerns from principle rather than situational ethics and partisanship. If Musk just says something happened, and we're fixing it / we've fixed it, there's going to be a lot of people who won't believe him.

Last edited:

Amiga

Sure notice a massive drop in bot accounts. Feels weird without the constant propaganda spam.

I almost miss them.

LegendOfKage

Gold Member
Sure notice a massive drop in bot accounts. Feels weird without the constant propaganda spam.

I almost miss them.
Part of the right sidebar on twitter also used to almost exclusively promote very partisan news articles. They would be a series of tweets promoting an article, with no opposing view or any other tweets allowed to follow them. It was the most "publisher not platform" part of twitter, and it's nice that it's gone now.

Musk has made some stupid missteps, but the worst of which were quickly changed back or improved in some other way. Meanwhile, You Tube still continues to make it ever increasingly almost impossible to get noticed as a new creator, they censor people left and right when it comes to withholding advertisers on content that is anything close to controversial, they treat corporate accounts very differently than creator accounts when it comes to censorship for the same offenses, they don't respect fair use, they took away the ability to see downvotes which helps scammers and clickbaiters, and recently they've even removed the ability to sort a channel's videos by their oldest content. There's probably a few more things I'm forgetting as well.

But they're also largely a faceless corporation without someone like Musk to be the target for all of this, so people complain but they might as well be talking to a brick wall. At least with Musk none of his screw ups have had the permanent loss of functionality that You Tube has.

Last edited:
What evidence could Musk provide that you would accept? Before Yoel Roth or whatever his name is was fired, he was posting graphs about how hate speech was being reduced at Twtter since Musk took over, and I know at least several GAF members thought he was lying. So what could Musk say or show that would cause you to accept Twitter was working to filter bots and making progress with doing so?

It's why I think Musk handled the Twitter files in just about the best way he could have, by allowing several different journalists access, who all seem to argue their concerns from principle rather than situational ethics and partisanship. If Musk just says something happened, and we're fixing it / we've fixed it, there's going to be a lot of people who won't believe him.

You're the one mentioning the bot trap theory so let's just start with any evidence whatsoever and go from there.

LegendOfKage LegendOfKage are you serious? Is that your best attempt?

despite you making the claim before that user's anecdotal or imaginations said they noticed a drop in bot count, no questioning of what they actually noticed nor any link presented between your poll bot trap theory and their post

Last edited:

LegendOfKage

Gold Member

despite you making the claim before that user's anecdotal or imaginations said they noticed a drop in bot count, no questioning of what they actually noticed nor any link presented between your poll bot trap theory and their post
I have no actual attempt for you, because no evidence of any sort has ever been presented, and I don't believe that any evidence that Musk could ever produce would ever be believed by you, yet you are asking for evidence anyway.

I don't even think I would believe any evidence Musk presented on the matter, because I don't see how he could ever prove it. I am willing to accept his claims could be a possibility, however, and accept that there's no way to know for sure. But you just seem to be asking so you can say that it's not good enough, and proclaim him a liar. Correct me if I'm mistaken there. My point being, why ask if no answer could ever satisfy? So instead I asked what it would take to prove it, but you can't even answer that hypothetical (and to be fair neither could I), so here we are.

I'm happy to admit when I don't know if something is true or not. If you agree that is the case here, then we simply agree. If instead your position is "Musk is lying if he can't prove it," that level of certainty is what I don't agree with. Does that make sense?

I have no actual attempt for you, because no evidence of any sort has ever been presented, and I don't believe that any evidence that Musk could ever produce would ever be believed by you, yet you are asking for evidence anyway.

I don't even think I would believe any evidence Musk presented on the matter, because I don't see how he could ever prove it. I am willing to accept his claims could be a possibility, however, and accept that there's no way to know for sure. But you just seem to be asking so you can say that it's not good enough, and proclaim him a liar. Correct me if I'm mistaken there. My point being, why ask if no answer could ever satisfy? So instead I asked what it would take to prove it, but you can't even answer that hypothetical (and to be fair neither could I), so here we are.

I'm happy to admit when I don't know if something is true or not. If you agree that is the case here, then we simply agree. If instead your position is "Musk is lying if he can't prove it," that level of certainty is what I don't agree with. Does that make sense?

Asking for evidence was just a way of furthering the conversation, the alternative being what you did and just parrot it without thinking about it at all. I'm not sure why you even bothered to reply to me when ignoring me was working out better. Whether you think I would accept evidence or not is just your bias on me, because without any discussion on it I question why someone would bring up the subject in the first place.

My position is the bot trap theory is bullshit, and nothing has disproven that. Not you, nor Musk, nor Musk speaking through you via your own bias. If your "level of certainty" is an unwavering belief in Musk despite evidence of his ability to lie and that every tweet or re-tweet he makes can only be taken either in a vacuum or within a limited context then yes it makes perfect sense.

LegendOfKage

Gold Member
If your "level of certainty" is an unwavering belief in Musk despite evidence of his ability to lie

I don't even think I would believe any evidence Musk presented on the matter, because I don't see how he could ever prove it.

I am willing to accept his claims could be a possibility, however, and I accept that there's no way to know for sure.

No. I just don't like pretending to know things that I can't possibly know. These two statements and a lot of what I've already said in this thread should make it fairly clear that I don't have an "unwavering belief" in Elon Musk. With that, I think I'm done with this slight derailment.

No. I just don't like pretending to know things that I can't possibly know. These two statements and a lot of what I've already said in this thread should make it fairly clear that I don't have an "unwavering belief" in Elon Musk. With that, I think I'm done with this slight derailment.

then why bring it up, and continue to try to defend it, if you know you can't?

ShadowNate

Lex Fridman offered to take up the job for a while. Probably as a joke, but considering current Musk's state it's not far fetched that he would grant him the wish.

I admit it would be interesting to see two big antagonistic companies headed by robot-people, Zuckerberg for Meta and Fridman for Twitter. It's probably how the Terminator timeline starts.

But in all seriousness, Lex at least seems more level headed.

Amiga

There is no single link to show this. It's the trend in several searches I do in the last few days. What doesn't standout as much as it did is the multitude of accounts pushing the same set of words and have little actual engagement with people.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Tell me again how smart Musk is.

He doesn’t seem to have any understanding of how internet advertising works. Kind of a problem when social media platforms make all of their money from targeted advertising.

Even a non-technical executive would be briefed on this stuff a dozen times over by now if he or she had taken this job a month ago and would be up to speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom