• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge review scores issues #379(GoW:R, Pentiment, Sonic, CoD:MW2, Gotham Knights, etc.)

tassletine

In what fucking world is GOW:R a 7? I’m usually tolerant of Edge being a point below most others but that is fucking insane.

Great story.
Great gameplay.
Brilliant characters.
Doesn’t outstay its welcome.
Excellent sound design.
Excellent music.
Excellent camera work.
Some great surprises.

I can understand people not liking the loading masking but damn.
Doesn't improve enough on the previous game (which was an 8 IMO). Also doesn't leverage new tech (GOW is last gen).

Games should provide something fresh and although GOW is extremely well made, I for one am sick of 'cinematic' games. Ie: walk. Fight. Cutscene -- So I completely understand the score.
Games like that bore me before they start, so they have to go the extra mile to impress.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Sonic= 3, Marvel= 8?!

I guess that they lost their edge
boi GIF

Doesn't improve enough on the previous game (which was an 8 IMO). Also doesn't leverage new tech (GOW is last gen).

Games should provide something fresh and although GOW is extremely well made, I for one am sick of 'cinematic' games. Ie: walk. Fight. Cutscene -- So I completely understand the score.
Games like that bore me before they start, so they have to go the extra mile to impress.
See for me. GOW 2018 falls into masterpiece category, and 2022 is a better game than that in most ways.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Im sorry, “we?” Is this a joke?
All kinds of issues make people alienate with whatever, be it politics, religion, etc. In this case, it's a videogame.

People should try being less insecure with those things. It's sad to see how involved people get with a videogame's score. Dude, if you enjoy the game, who gives a shit about the MC score?

panchos

Neo Member

Yeah, I think this is v fair. Peel away the shiny surface, and what sits underneath is outdated and pretty stale. I think this kind of "cinema game" will become increasingly rare in years to come.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
It's actually pretty nice to have on the coffee table and such.

More like dissapointing. I never read as much edge as I did next generation (and I spent a long long time thinking there was more crossover than there really was) and damn this is just not what I was hoping for. You used to get long interviews with Yu Suzuki or Trip Hawkins n shit almost every issue. Now it's 6 pages at a time with another kid making a metroidvania about their feelings. I also think the reviews are a little wack . Like, consistently eyebrow raising. They're are all over the place.

What is painful tho is the size of the print. Was magazine print always this small? I probably hadn't read one in like a decade. My eyes are just starting to get old but it only effects stuff like <6 inches from my face, so far.

Now if you can't be bothered to dig up the most promising indies, that's where it's been good. I've got a couple winners out of it.

Dude this is so spot on!

I also felt the quality of writing was declining, and the topics and developers they covered didn't really line up with my interests. And the reviews; amazing (imo) games got 6/10 while some mobile or indie fad got 8 or more, I just felt old and out of the loop.

Then with the Death Stranding thing I just cancelled my sub, not sure if I'll renew it ever to be honest.

And yes, the last year or so that I was still subbed, I had to skip some articles because the print was just too small to read it which made me feel old again.

Last edited:

That's very much true. I can understand someone giving 7/10 on Ragnarok based on those critics.

tassletine

See for me. GOW 2018 falls into masterpiece category, and 2022 is a better game than that in most ways.
I haven't actually played it in all honesty. The first one was extremely polished and I enjoyed it a lot but I have no urge to pick the new one up because of the playstyle. Just not what I'm after right now.

There is a trend among certain online publications to attract attention with ridiculous scores.

I remember last month when Gotham Knights launched a review I read gave it 9/10 saying it was a Game of the Year contender on par with Elden Ring - which seemed ludicrous and designed to do one thing...get attention.

Then again, by their very nature a game review is the subjective experience of the reviewer, and all the baggage and biases that come with that.

I think that's why sites that collect reviews and provide an average are helpful.

SaintALia

Always weird seeing an Edge thread on a forum. People always seem to flip their shit when a game they like or dislike doesn't get the rating they feel it deserved. Then it becomes a thing of shitting on the magazine in some form or another. Funniest thing about it is, that people usually do this based entirely off scores without even reading the reviews, and sometimes without even playing the games themselves(latter more rare tho, as it's when people really like or dislike the game is when they get really flustered at an Edge score). It always feels like a 'my opinion and others like mine, override yours' kinda deal.

Raven117

All kinds of issues make people alienate with whatever, be it politics, religion, etc. In this case, it's a videogame.

People should try being less insecure with those things. It's sad to see how involved people get with a videogame's score. Dude, if you enjoy the game, who gives a shit about the MC score?
I know. Its beyond silly.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Always weird seeing an Edge thread on a forum. People always seem to flip their shit when a game they like or dislike doesn't get the rating they feel it deserved. Then it becomes a thing of shitting on the magazine in some form or another. Funniest thing about it is, that people usually do this based entirely off scores without even reading the reviews, and sometimes without even playing the games themselves(latter more rare tho, as it's when people really like or dislike the game is when they get really flustered at an Edge score). It always feels like a 'my opinion and others like mine, override yours' kinda deal.
99.9% of the people commenting on Pentiment in this thread haven't played it.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
First say high scores you disagree with are basically money and clicks driven rendering almost every Ragnarok review an hype job from people who fear for their jobs, secondly you say people these days are idiots for saying what you just said, and then you… tell people to not cry about different opinions even though I can taste the tears from my phone.

You forgot to give your “meh/10 and EDGE proves I’m right” score.
Get your phone checked, it shouldn’t taste like tears. If it does, they’re not my tears.
I haven’t mentioned Ragnarok in my post and I’ve never played a God of War game in my life. Why should I care about its precious Metascore? Your reply here tells many things about you, and nothing about me but things that are in your head.

OT, I’m playing Pentiment right now and there’s nothing outrageous about it getting a 9. It’s s game that will still be good when most of the stuff coming out right now will be obsolete. The writing is above and beyond all the 10/10s of the last several years combined. Wonderful game, and very obviously unpalatable for many.

Mozza

Get a group of teachers to review an exam.

If all come to the same grade, but 1 teacher grades it far lower.... Who's the oddball?

EXACTLY
Not the same thing at all, an exam has an objective outcome, so they would all come to the same conclusion, whereas video game reviews are very subjective.

Top Bottom