• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Duke Nukem Next-Gen - Gearbox Approved DN3D Fan-Remake

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
http://www.giantbomb.com/news/duke-nukem-3d-gets-fan-made-remake-with-gearboxs-blessing/2639/

Frederik Schreiber was an amateur modeler with a dream: to bring 3D Realms’ classic FPS, Duke Nukem 3D, into a modern engine. This was not an uncommon dream for fans to have. Over the 12 years that 3D Realms tried to guide that seminal game’s successor, Duke Nukem Forever, to release, many other teams of bright-eyed aspiring developers had tried to remake Duke 3D on modern graphical technology. Unfortunately, those fan-made efforts were shut down almost unanimously, as these teams did not have the rights to use the Duke Nukem property in any form. As such, Duke 3D was confined to within the oid Build Engine, forever doomed to shoot billiard balls on pool tables and asking ladies to kindly shake it.

But with the stewardship of Duke Nukem officially passed to Gearbox Software, Schreiber decided to give that dream another shot. So over a period of a few weeks, he created several test maps of his proposed Duke 3D remake by rendering a couple of memorable level locations in the Unreal Engine 3. These were only prototypes maps designed to show off the look of these levels, but tell me that isn’t the spitting image of the rooftop starting point in Hollywood Holocaust.

Fan reaction to these screens and videos on the Gearbox boards was ecstatic, and Schreiber, emboldened by the praise, took his request directly to Gearbox, asking if there was any way to let players see Duke’s ride get shot down like they’ve never seen it before: with normal mapping and physics.

Mr. Schreiber is going to get that chance. Gearbox Software has extended the aspiring designer a personal non-commercial license to the Duke Nukem likeness and property, giving Schreiber the legal rights he needs to push forward on the project.
With the rights in hand, Mr. Schreiber has begun mobilizing a team for the codenamed Duke Nukem: Next Gen, an Unreal Engine 3-powered version of the Duke 3D which, upon completion, will be released for free to the public. It’s like the Black Mesa mod for Half Life 2, but with more balls.

It’s always nice to see a major corporation reach out and help nurture these fan projects rather than shut them down. Companies like Square Enix and more recently, Activision, have gone after these graphically enhanced fan-made remakes with the cease and also the desist, ending many promising game mod in its tracks (until, at least, it becomes good PR to let the fans release that game). Now, Schreiber and the Next Gen team has Gearbox’s blessing to show their passion for the Duke. The time was right to bet on Duke, and it paid off for these fans in spades. I know, from these screens and video, I’m looking forward to seeing what this team creates.

Screens: http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=111335
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMjJL6SWs_U

Although I'm doubting the feasability of the project, It's a nice gesture. Luckily we've got Polymer to tide us(which is plenty nice already).

ZealousD

gamerecks said:
How many years is this one gonna take?

Theoretically shouldn't take as long as Black Mesa: Source. Duke 3D levels are more simple. Next to no scripted events.

Zeal

Banned
Now if Square Enix would only allow fans to do something like this with a 3D Chrono Trigger remake...

Oh wait, they fear being bested.

Red

Zeal said:
Now if Square Enix would only allow fans to do something like this with a 3D Chrono Trigger remake...

Square Enix seems less and less relevant every year.

Needs more DQIX, less FFXIII.

This is very cool of Gearbox.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Zeal said:

Every now and then someone has to remind me of Chrono Trigger Resurrection :(

good for Gearbox.

but would they have given the license to someone that was remotely likely to finish such a thing?

remember the awesome remake of Daikatana this guy made?

Radogol

plagiarize said:
but would they have given the license to someone that was remotely likely to finish such a thing?

My thoughts exactly. So far, he only managed to finish the very first location (not even a level) using default UT3 assets.

So he's made a couple of rooms in the UT3 map editor and Gearbox has decided to use it that fact to promote DNF by approving his work publicly. At any rate, he looks like a talented mapper.

Hugbot

That is way rad, especially when 9 times out of 10 it's just a C&D letter these projects get for their effort. Looking forward to it, glad Gearbox is supporting it.

KareBear

plagiarize said:
good for Gearbox.

He abandoned the Daikatana remake because no one was interested.

plagiarize said:

Yeah it's pretty clear that this dude is mugging for a job in the industry by starting fan remakes (and never finishing them) then contacting the IP holder and getting their seal of approval so he can crow about it and get people to check out his work.

Not that finding John Romero and getting his approval is much to celebrate, since you could just stroll down the boulevard of broken dreams whistling the e1m1 music.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
jim-jam bongs said:
Not that finding John Romero and getting his approval is much to celebrate, since you could just stroll down the boulevard of broken dreams whistling the e1m1 music.
ice-cold and imaginative, I like the cut of your jib, sir.

KareBear said:
He abandoned the Daikatana remake because no one was interested.

see, i just don't believe that. do you honestly think he was completely oblivious to the lack of interest in anything to do with Daikatana?

it just kind of makes him seem fickle to me. what if people lose interest in this after DNF comes out will he jump to something else?

honestly, why did he START the Daikatana remake?

FULL DISCLOSURE: I fucking loved Daikatana.

.la1n

RavenFox said:

Pretty much. I stopped supporting square a long time ago anyway as should every last one of you!

I actually bought and enjoyed Final Fantasy XIII, sorry

Hugbot

plagiarize said:
FULL DISCLOSURE: I fucking loved Daikatana.
What.

It'd be sad if he abandons this as well, without a focused team it'll probably end up happening. I still think it's pretty cool to support it rather than quash it, even if the dude is just angling to get hired somewhere.

Hugbot said:
What.

It'd be sad if he abandons this as well, without a focused team it'll probably end up happening. I still think it's pretty cool to support it rather than quash it, even if the dude is just angling to get hired somewhere.
you never really liked a game that everyone else hated?

i don't see any shame in it. the single player was interesting albeit it with odd pacing (worst levels first!) and some ugly bugs in later levels. the multiplayer was great fun though. you had four different weapon sets each with their own unique thing, you had ridiculously vertical gameplay, and you had some of the best deathmatch level designers around.

the community was made up of a lot of old quake heads that hadn't been taken with quake 2, so there was a really high level of competition in the admittedly small pool of players, but at least you knew how good everyone you fought was.

i don't disagree with the criticisms, but i still loved the multiplayer and loved the crowd that played it.

i hope this guy gets together a good team and gets the game out. but i'm not going to believe it's ever going to happen.

i've been approaching black mesa in the same light. its endless delays don't bother me because i don't think it's ever going to be done. if it ever is, i'll play it and praise it if it deserves praising.

Kapura

Banned
My experience with Gearbox: Halo for PC. And they did good. Reading about his douk stuff is making me happy. Let's hope they can deliver.

ZealousD

Radogol said:
My thoughts exactly. So far, he only managed to finish the very first location (not even a level) using default UT3 assets.

That's the only thing he's posted a video of. Check the "screens" link and you'll see he's done work on another level too. He's also already assembled a small team to help him out.

chiQ

Most community projects end up in the bin. It would be nice if this was one of the success stories.

Daikatana has a small but very steely fan-base. Very intense people. They have to be to run the gauntlet of ridicule the property invites since that stupid marketing exercise. Romero is pretty chilled about IP. I think if he holds rights to stuff he'd welcome fan efforts, though I have no idea if Daikatana is actually his. I like that Gearbox have the same attitude though.

Top Bottom