• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ds voice recognition

Akia

={<SMOKE>}= said:
do any ds games utilize voice recognition and if so, how well does it work?

Nintendogs. You speak into the mic a couple of times, then the game memorizes your statement and attributes it to whichever action you selected. After that, whenever you speak the term it'll recognize the statement and your puppy will do the action attributed with what you said.

ocelittle said:
It also have 'blow' recognition, which is a creepy thing.

lol

yeah, i'm not too interested in that though. i suspect the 'blow' function is used as a cop-out. much easier to pull off than voice recognition. after all, blowing on the mic still puts 'sound' into it and yet the software doesn't have to check for different 'forms' of that sound. it's basically on or off...

Jado

Banned
={<SMOKE>}= said:
lol

yeah, i'm not too interested in that though. i suspect the 'blow' function is used as a cop-out. much easier to pull off than voice recognition. after all, blowing on the mic still puts 'sound' into it and yet the software doesn't have to check for different 'forms' of that sound. it's basically on or off...

Yea, Yoshi Touch & Go on a subway train iwas pretty bad. The noise or something would blow clouds away quite often.

Jado said:
Yea, Yoshi Touch & Go on a subway train iwas pretty bad. The noise or something would blow clouds away quite often.

hmm... i wonder how sensitive the mic is? i hope the developer can adjust the mic sensitivity or else game design that requires voice and word recognition to progress is a bad choice. you wouldn't want 'outside' noise causing you to fail at the game...

Jado

Banned
Touch & Go has a menu option for different levels of mic sensitivity (Off, Low, Normal, and High). I had to set it to Off, but then the subway train is an extreme example. There's an ongoing rumbling all around that makes me put my mp3 player's volume high up just to make it sound "normal." Haven't had mic problems anywhere else.

Akia

={<SMOKE>}= said:
i assume your saying that any noise triggers an objection?

But that kills the fun of actually screaming "Objection!" But yes any noise in Phoenix Wright but in Nintendogs there is actual voice recognition. It really depends on how the software developer implements it in their games.

Top Bottom