• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Drifters |OT| Jeane d'Arc,Rasputin,Sundance Kid & Murasaki in a Brand-new World War!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

KxtsMji.png

Drifters: Battle in a Brand-new World War

General Info
Episodes: 12
Broadcast: (Oct 7, 2016) Fridays at 23:00 (JST)
Simulcast: Crunchyroll (subbed)
FuniMation (dubbed)
Producers: Hoods Entertainment, NBCUniversal Entertainment Japan
Studios: Hoods Drifters Studio
Source: Manga
Genres: Action, Adventure, Comedy, Fantasy, Historical, Samurai, Seinen
Rating: R - 17+ (violence & profanity)
* The anime celebrates the 70th anniversary of Shonengahosha, the publisher of the original manga

gBjFcFI.gif

Director: Kenichi Suzuki (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders)
Series Composition: Hideyuki Kurata (The World God Only Knows, Tokyo Ravens, Maria the Virgin Witch)
Script:
Hideyuki Kurata
Yousuke Kuroda (Hellsing Ultimate, Gungrave)
Music:
Hayato Matsuo
Yasushi Ishii
Character Design: Ryoji Nakamori (Hellsing Ultimate)

Theme Song Performances:
OP:
ED: "Vermillion" by Maon Kurosaki

Source Material Info:
Drifters is a fantasy, alternate history Japanese manga written and illustrated by Kouta Hirano. The manga started serialization in Shōnen Gahosha's magazine, Young King Ours on April 30, 2009. It centers on various historical figures summoned to an unknown world where their skills and techniques are needed by magicians in order to save their world from total destruction.

Synopsis:
Shimazu Toyohisa, whilst involved at the Battle of Sekigahara, manages to mortally wound Ii Naomasa, but is critically wounded in the process. As he walks from the field broken and bleeding, Toyohisa finds himself transported to a corridor of doors, where a bespectacled man at a desk waits for him. This man, Murasaki, sends Toyohisa into the nearest door where he wakes up in another world. There, Toyohisa meets other great warriors like him who have been transported as well, to be part of a group known as "Drifters."

Zb7M60G.png

Groups/Characters:

Drifters:
The titular Drifters are heroes, leaders, and great warriors from different eras and cultures that have been brought to an unknown world by Murasaki, where they are meant to fight the Ends. A common element to the Drifters is that although they are driven by violence, victory, and conquest, most of them are not cruel; they love to fight and win, but do not care for the hurting of innocents. Unlike the Ends, the Drifters have no magic abilities unless they were born with them, and therefore must largely rely on their technology and tenacity to survive.

Ends
The opposing force in this world, the Ends are, like the Drifters, mainly composed of powerful historical figures who died under unorthodox and often violent circumstances. Unlike the Drifters, however, the Ends are revered humans that have forsaken their humanity, and are thus capable of using supernatural powers. Most of the Ends are driven completely by an intense hate for humanity for the various betrayals each suffered back on Earth. They seem to have been brought into the new world by EASY, who is at odds with Murasaki

Characters/Cast:
• Yūichi Nakamura as Shimazu Toyohisa
• Naoya Uchida as Oda Nobunaga
• Mitsuki Saiga as Nasu no Yoichi
• Takahiro Sakurai as Abe no Seimei
• Shiho Kokido as Olminu
• Masakazu Nishida as Kafeto
• Junko Minagawa as Jeanne d'Arc
• Kenji Nomura as Gilles de Rais
• Junko Kitanishi as Anastasia
• Masahiko Tanaka as Rasputin
• Hiroki Yasumoto as Hijikata Toshizo
• Mitsuru Miyamoto as Murasaki
• Tatsuhisa Suzuki as the pilot Naoshi Kanno
• Daisuke Ono as Wild Bunch gang founder Butch Cassidy
• Wataru Takagi as Wild Bunch gang member Sundance Kid
• Akira Ishida as Minamotono Kurou Hougan Yoshitsune

Trailers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoT1lVGiDhU

StT2OZs.gif

Screenshots:
rKiVyQg.jpg

zJrn025.jpg

eGtyluZ.jpg

vGn9qnE.gif

*Important Thread note*
Week to week spoiler tags are not needed, however, if you have read the source material, please refrain from posting unmarked and appropriately tagged spoilers to future events.

Thank you very much for your consideration and enjoy the show!

The manga is entertaining in the same way that Hellsing was in a crazy fights kind of way so this should be entertaining as hell if it's animated well.

Japan sure lives Nobunaga tho don't they?

Tizoc

Fucking finally
Been waiting dorever for this
Thanks for the heads up op

Edit- i do not see norio wakamoto among the voice cast
Disappointed but still looking forward to watching it

Kaizer

Banned
This show/manga seems DIRECTLY up my alley, love a big, fun action anime. Definitely going to check this out & the manga as well.

It's a lot of fun in the same sense of Fate/Stay Night/Zero/Whatever in that they'll take historical people and basically go "BUT WHAT IF THEY HAD POWERS BASED ON BULLSHIT?!?!" and then give Rasputin Immortal Wizard Powers or Elizabeth Bathory Vampire Blood Magic or what-fucking-ever.

The fun conceit for this is that the good guys are basically no powers vs the bad guys who are ALL POWERS but the lines aren't really drawn distinctly; the "good guys" have some historical shitbags on their side and the "bad guys" have literal saints.

So what I'm trying to say is this is a really fun manga if you buy into the conceit that the plot is basically "I wrote this cause it was fun"

Cornbread78

It's a lot of fun in the same sense of Fate/Stay Night/Zero/Whatever in that they'll take historical people and basically go "BUT WHAT IF THEY HAD POWERS BASED ON BULLSHIT?!?!" and then give Rasputin Immortal Wizard Powers or Elizabeth Bathory Vampire Blood Magic or what-fucking-ever.

The fun conceit for this is that the good guys are basically no powers vs the bad guys who are ALL POWERS but the lines aren't really drawn distinctly; the "good guys" have some historical shitbags on their side and the "bad guys" have literal saints.

So what I'm trying to say is this is a really fun manga if you buy into the conceit that the plot is basically "I wrote this cause it was fun"

Yeah, everything I've read about it sounds pretty damn interesting and over-the-top for sure!

Nah, it's more like "Historical figures die/get transported before they die to a new world where some of them have powers and want to fuck shit up and some don't and then they fight for a reason I forget"

...so basically.

Pretty close adaptation of the manga.

By which I mean stick around for the crazy fights because the plot and humor is pretty whatever

Yeah the humor is awful. But I want people to be honest with me:

Did anything in Hellsing ever make you laugh? I found the humor in Hellsing to likewise be abominable. I think the dude just really needs to not write comedy into his dark as fuck series because he ain't good at it.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
I wasn't super into this, despite liking Hellsing, but I'll give it a few more eps to start cooking.

And yeah the humor attempts in Hellsing were cornball as well. I already knew what to expect from this dude's work.

Cornbread78

Interesting concept and even more interesting artwork. The comedy sucked, but hey, this was bloody and I want to see where they go with it.

Cornbread78

Well, that was bloody, bloody, bloody and more bloody with heads flying all over the place!

The action content was actually pretty good, but the conedy was terrible...

How is this OT not any popular?

Anime is amazing. Episode 3 was absolutely crazy. Also, as someone who loves history it's interesting to see how they depict characters like Jeanne d'Arc & Hannibal.

Cornbread78

How is this OT not any popular?

Anime is amazing. Episode 3 was absolutely crazy. Also, as someone who loves history it's interesting to see how they depict characters like Jeanne d'Arc & Hannibal.

Ot sure, I didn't want to be the only one posting though, lol. Outside of the lame humor, thd show is pretty good.

Episode 3:
I'm not sure what I just watched through all the blood, but I did see a WWII fighter tear up a dragon and a 1800's gatling gun mow down a midevil orc army, so yeah, that was pretty cool, lol.

Kaizer

Banned
Watched the first three episodes of this yesterday along with Izetta - I like it so far, great, crazy & zany action like I expected, although as others have stated, the humor disrupts the tone sometimes.

Hell, I could've sworn I heard a track from Hellsing during ep 3----between the aesthetics and premise this show is fantastic enough to rise up beyond the...comedy.

Watched the first 6 episodes and is it just me or does it feel kinda nationalist?

I mean all the good guys/anti-heroes are japanese and even have WW2 soldiers with some questionable background thrown into, while the villians all seem western/european.

Holy shit, you dug this OT out of the grave!

Nobody used it :(

I do now.

I finished the anime and... it got even worse with the national themes. Hitler was apparently just someone who wanted fantasy-Germany to prosper so the wars were necessary. Meanwhile the japanese heroes/anti-heroes are shown in a good light.

I dropped it right before the end. Count Saint Germi is an embarrassingly homophobic character that distracted from the story.

All the characters are kinda one-dimensional.
I really think the anime/manga is kinda nationalist in my opinion.

While the Hitler character is still painted as a bad guy, they used the thing I hear from a lot of Japanese, Korean or China people ala "He did bad things, BUT..."
In Drifters was "For the prosperity of Orte, it was necessary to wage wars and enslave others. He did it for the people."
Then you have all the anti-heroes being Japanese, while, besides Hijikata, everyone on the opposing team is western. The japanese WW2 hero, of course, is also painted more as a victim than an agressor, having a flashback how his home was destroyed by foreign soldiers.

Wereroku

All the characters are kinda one-dimensional.
I really think the anime/manga is kinda nationalist in my opinion.

While the Hitler character is still painted as a bad guy, they used the thing I hear from a lot of Japanese, Korean or China people ala "He did bad things, BUT..."
In Drifters was "For the prosperity of Orte, it was necessary to wage wars and enslave others. He did it for the people."
Then you have all the anti-heroes being Japanese, while, besides Hijikata, everyone on the opposing team is western. The japanese WW2 hero, of course, is also painted more as a victim than an agressor, having a flashback how his home was destroyed by foreign soldiers.
This isn't true though. 2 of the major antagonists are Japanese. And quite a few of the minor protagonists are Western. However it is definitely nationalistic and glosses over WW2 in several parts.

Akainu

The drifters have Hannibal, Scipio, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. Hannibal is kind of senile but was a major factor in two of their wins. And Butch and Kid are kind of useless without bullets unfortunately. Also Minamoto no Yoshitsune and Akechi Mitsuhide work for the ends.

This isn't true though. 2 of the major antagonists are Japanese. And quite a few of the minor protagonists are Western. However it is definitely nationalistic and glosses over WW2 in several parts.

One of them is on neither side though. And I know that some minor protagonists are western, but they dont really stand out. The biggest anti-heroes are all japanese.

Also right now the villains all feel dull. The heroes are all those intelligent strategists, while the villains, besides the one who pulls the strings, all seem dumb and rush into battles without thinking.

I also wonder how that anime can get a second seasons, because as I see it the anime stops at volume 4, but there are only 5 volumes out in Japan.

Akainu

One of them is on neither side though. And I know that some minor protagonists are western, but they dont really stand out. The biggest anti-heroes are all japanese.

Also right now the villains all feel dull. The heroes are all those intelligent strategists, while the villains, besides the one who pulls the strings, all seem dumb and rush into battles without thinking.

I also wonder how that anime can get a second seasons, because as I see it the anime stops at volume 4, but there are only 5 volumes out in Japan.

Toyohisa is an idiot and most of those strategies that made a difference is a tough situation came from Hannibal.

Toyohisa is an idiot and most of those strategies that made a difference is a tough situation came from Hannibal.

Sure, but he is still treated as a background character, while the 3 "japanese team" is doing all the work and getting all recognition. And even when Hannibal proposes something, he does it all in that Chibi-style.
To your other post: Yoshitsune seems to be on no side, as I understood it. Mitsuhide was just introduce in the last episode.

Btw. Im not saying the anime is bad. Im just feeling that there is some sort of nationalistic idea behind it all.

tbf, GATE was very nationalistic as well, but the show was still a fun watch. Nesides, watching a modern army destroy a midoval army, lol.

Sure. But Gate has even bigger problems with the author of the novel denying the Nanjing massacre afaik and I would argue that his ideas seem into his work far too obviously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom