• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma 2 | Review Thread

What scores do you think Dragon's Dogma 2 will get?

• 60-65%

Votes: 4 0.9%
  • 66-69%

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 4 0.9%
  • 76-79%

Votes: 17 3.8%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 121 27.2%
  • 86-89%

Votes: 196 44.0%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 83 18.7%
  • 96-100%

Votes: 18 4.0%

• Total voters

StueyDuck

Banned
If the combat is significantly better and is actually enjoyable to play then I'll get this.

But dd1 just didn't feel good to play, as much as I wanted to enjoy that game.

What are the chances reviewers are actually going to talk about playing the game rather than moaning about asmongold or whatever

Last edited:

Mr Branding

Hey man, I feel you!

Are you aware that you can stream stuff from your own devices to the Deck? I have a similar situation where it tends to be easier to play on my Steam Deck and since I have a gaming PC and also a PS5, I just looked into applications that let me do that and it works wonders, honestly!! Strongly recommend that you look into 'Chiaki 4 deck' . It's not difficult to set up and it lets you play ps5 games better than the official PS remoteplay app (60fps 1080p as opposed to the official 720p 30fps provided by sony). If you have a gaming pc, look into Moonlight + Sunshine combo (moonlight app on the deck and sunshine on the gaming pc). If you have a 5g wifi network, you won't even notice you are streaming the games. Just be sure that your ps5 is connected to your modem/router via ethernet cable. The best part about all this is that your games will run better since the deck is just hosting, and your battery life will be extended by an extra 3 hours lol. Thank me later xD
I use chiaki 4 deck but thank you for your post. I will have to take time and set up an ethernet cable because so far I am using wifi, works great tho most of the time.

I use chiaki 4 deck but thank you for your post. I will have to take time and set up an ethernet cable because so far I am using wifi, works great tho most of the time.
I love using Chiaki 4 deck!! I‘m hoping the reviews will provide some insight to how it runs on the deck as that’s my primary way to game these days.

GymWolf

To some degree yes, how else do you determine how good a game is? Obviously a demo is useful but they are few and far between these days.
Mmm...like millions of people do?! watch some gameplay footage and decide if what you see is of your liking.

Reviewers are gonna rush the game to get reviews out in time and i would not trust unskilled journalists to give me a real analysis of the combat system or advanced gameplay systems.

Same for story or characters, i don't trust a bunch of activists to tell me if a story or characters are good.

The only use i have for reviews are precise data like number of weapons, number of enemies, numbers of bosses etc, but half the time they don't even talk about these things or they still get it wrong.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
To some degree yes, how else do you determine how good a game is? Obviously a demo is useful but they are few and far between these days.
I mean it isn't hard to see most of the time , but you could also wait to purchase and watch others play.

Reviews are not trust worthy anymore these days.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Not to mention a lot of reviewers don't even finish games. They'll play as much as they can and write about the WHOLE game experience based on that.
That's probably why most reviews read like previews and don't go deep on gameplay systems et. But they waste a lof of space on ramblings that in their head make them sound smarter or more philosophical than they really are, just gimme some info instead you hack :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

I still remember the pinnacle of videogame journalism, edge, not finishing a game because the dude was bored or some shit.

Tbf it was the review of death stranding (i think) so i can partially understand the feeling :lollipop_squinting:

Last edited:

Hot5pur

I'm sure the game will be a solid 85+ if not a 90+. Too me it looks a bit TOO similar to DD1, which is not a bad thing but that game also had a lot of awkward jank.
It's the director of the recent DMC entries so expecting good things.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Ever since the RapeLay comparison of Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2, I tend to not give a crap about what journalists really have to say. LoS2 had a lot of things wrong with it, but that wasn’t one of them.

Puscifer

If the combat is significantly better and is actually enjoyable to play then I'll get this.

But dd1 just didn't feel good to play, as much as I wanted to enjoy that game.

What are the chances reviewers are actually going to talk about playing the game rather than moaning about asmongold or whatever
This is what I'm hoping for, I get that many RPGs are meant to be played for 40+ hours and I'm more than willing to give them 10 hours of my time to get going but I just never felt like DD got there (for me). Really hoping it's a Borderlnands 2 situation where they improve on everything! We'll see in a couple minutes

Fermbiz

Gold Member
Bored GIF

Mmm...like millions of people do?! watch some gameplay footage and decide if what you see is of your liking.

Reviewers are gonna rush the game to get reviews out in time and i would not trust unskilled journalists to give me a real analysis of the combat system or advanced gameplay systems.

Same for story or characters, i don't trust a bunch of activists to tell me if a story or characters are good.

The only use i have for reviews are precise data like number of weapons, number of enemies, numbers of bosses etc, but half the time they don't even talk about these things or they still get it wrong.
Yeah I agree, I obviously watch footage and in DD2 case the gameplay has looked decent and the setting appeals to me but I do feel if a game on average is rating 90+ then it's a quality title.

sigmaZ

Ever since the RapeLay comparison of Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2, I tend to not give a crap about what journalists really have to say. LoS2 had a lot of things wrong with it, but that wasn’t one of them.
Need a link for that. Edit: The review I mean. Sorry I should've been more clear.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Chris Pratt What GIF

Seriously, who made that comparison?

Need a link for that. Edit: The review I mean. Sorry I should've been more clear.

Theres a thread that discusses it. I’m not sure if the article is still around, but there’s a handful of reference articles.

Last edited:
Top Bottom