• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma 2 marks Capcom's first $70 base game

Draugoth

Gold Member
ss_8979e7af203f7405845f76ffa73749d924540e97.jpg

With a £70/$80 special edition.

Capcom will sell Dragon's Dogma 2 for $70 on PC (via Steam), PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X/S when the long-awaited sequel arrives next March.

It marks the first time Capcom will sell the base version of a new game for that higher price point. This year's Resident Evil 4 Remake was sold for $10 less (and while a remake, it was substantially different).

Street Fighter 6 was also sold at for less, as was dino hunter Exoprimal. Capcom had been one of the few publishers not to embrace the $70 price point up until now, but the move comes as no surprise.

The majority of other game publishers have already shifted to the higher price, and in September Capcom president Haruhiro Tsujimoto said that rising development costs and the need to increase wages meant that "game prices are too low".

"Development costs now are about 100 times more than they were during the Famicom era, but software prices haven't gone up to that extent," Tsujimoto said previously.

Elysium44

Banned
Inflation. In the UK this will be £54 on Steam ($68) which is the same value as £45 ($57) two years ago. It will be similar everywhere.

In real terms the price hasn't gone up, so this is a non-story designed to generate outrage.

Last edited:

Lokaum D+

at least it feels like they put some work on it to justified this price tag, there is a lot of games this year that dont worth U$ 20

Last edited:

Svejk

Already pre-ordered the deluxe version. Would gladly pay double. This game is a dream come true for me. Quad-dipped the first one. Capcom can siphon me of my money with anything Dragon's Dogma.

Last edited:
Inflation. In the UK this will be £54 on Steam ($68) which is the same value as £45 ($57) two years ago. It will be similar everywhere.

In real terms the price hasn't gone up, so this is a non-story designed to generate outrage.
This is a circular argument.

“the prices of goods have increased, so the price of this good has increased”

Elysium44

Banned
This is a circular argument.

“the prices of goods have increased, so the price of this good has increased”

Why wouldn't the price of games increase when the cost of living generally has? Developers, their employees and shareholders also have bills to pay, which have gone up ~20%+ over the last few years. And gamers have seen their incomes rise nominally too, so $70 is just as affordable now as $60 was two years ago. Stories like this one are thus pointless and anyone outraged at the rise is stupid.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fbh

sendit

N64 games regularly retailed for 70 MSRP. With games having a fraction of development cost as they do now. The market has finally caught up to Nintendo.

Last edited:

Puscifer

Also first current gen only game.
That's what I was going to say, everything else was cross-gen. Now though, it just better not be a Demons Souls situation where it clearly meant to be cross-gen title with a cancelled port with the only real next gen feature being fast loading.

Crayon

I've found the $70 doesn't change which games I get on release. It does change how long it gets to a sale price I wanted if I'm waiting, but if I was going to pay $60 without thinking anyhow, another 10 doesn't seem to stop me. Top three upcoming games are this, tekken 8, and FF7. They could nail me for much higher on each and I would grumble for a minute.

It's actually fucking awesome that there are THREE games I'm willing to pay full price for in the first quarter. The threads about how gaming has gone comepletly to shit make me laugh. In fact I was just talking to a friend and he was saying all games are shit these days but it seemed he was reading hearsay more than actually playing anything. He asked what truly brilliant games I've played lateley. When I said armored core, he said it didn't look fun anymore. I was like motherfucker the last time you played armored core we were like 20 and I came home after a 9 hour shift to find you sitting in the exact same spot playing it all day. TRY ACTUALLY PLAYING SOMETHING GOOD.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Just wait a week after release and we will know how much content there is and if $70 is worth the price of admission.

Fbh

I'm ok with this, no reason why Capcom shouldn't follow the pricing that most other companies are using these days.
Also Americans whining about the $10 increase don't know how good they have it compared to other countries. I fucking wish games would cost the equivalent of only $10 more than they did 10 years ago where I live.

Why wouldn't the price of games increase when the cost of living generally has? Developers, their employees and shareholders also have bills to pay, which have gone up ~20%+ over the last few years. And gamers have seen their incomes rise nominally too, so $70 is just as affordable now as $60 was two years ago. Stories like this one are thus pointless and anyone outraged at the rise is stupid.

Exactly.
Maybe one could make the argument that if $60 isn't viable anymore dev should scale back their games to a point at which the $60 price does work.
But people are entitled, they don't want to pay more than $60, don't want microtransactions or DLC .....but also games need to be at least 40 hours long and have amazing next gen visuals and we'll throw a tantrum if Kratos gets on the boat with the same animation as in the last game.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
If it’s a complete, well-made fame game on day 1 and it isn’t loaded with microtransactions and FOMO shit, I will happily pay $70 for a new game.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
1ortb2i.jpg

Annnnd the stupid clickbait articles have begun. Guys, this is a harmful trend that makes gaming less inclusive. (Took this screenshot just before blocking this site from my news feed)

bender

What time is it?
You were not joking. You'd be dumb to pre-order from Steam when you have way cheaper options like cdkeys or even GMG and Fanatical.

image.png

Most times buying games on Steam isn't the most economical method but the trade off is that you are foregoing one the better Steam features in their easy refund policy should you not enjoy the game or if your hardware has issues running the game.

Hugare

In Brazil a new game costs the equivalent of 10-12 Big Macs

In the US its what, 5 Big Macs?

Games are crazy cheap for what you get. They cost sometimes as much as a big budget movie, they're developed for 4-5 years and they are so complex to make nowadays

I dont want prices to go up, obviously, but I find it justifiable. Specially with games that arent GAAS.

Last edited:

Eotheod

Interesting that they are doing $70 on PC too, usually that's slightly lower due to digital only and market standards. Granted, here in Australia we say fuck you to $70 and go the whole $120.

Top Bottom