• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does Quick Resume make sense with phyiscal games? Asking for you

mili2110

So everyone and their mom is showing off quick resume on series x on youtube. But since many of you (I am fully digital at this point) will still buy phyisical, does this feature even make sense? You do need to change discs before the game can quick resume from its current state, right? This would make quick resume DOA for gamers who buy physical I assume. Also a waste of space on the SSD. I hope MS can make this feature optional, so you get much of the almost 200GB OS back.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
It's very hard to only have physical games at this time. You at least have a indie game, a minor game or something. It's nice to have a quick resume to those indie games to a big one that you have on the disk drive

Last edited:

Sethbacca

Im not even sure it makes sense on digital games with the speed these things load. I'd rather save valuable space on my ssd over losing seconds on a load.

Yes, because you can sill save your game at any given point no matter what (even if the console is powered down)
That's the real deal for quick resume.

So yes, even in the middle of a real time 24hour of le mans or Nuerbugring race

Do we know if Quick Resume is interrupted by removing the disc?

We've been able to resume where we left off on DVD players and Blu Ray players for years. I hope we get there eventually with games, maybe even some OS-level save states for those who want it.

mili2110

Considering how fast games load from a cold boot, meaning they are not in the "quick resume state", games still load very fast on series x! Why doesnt MS give us a Quick Resume toggle to turn it on or off. I would prefer the extra 100+GB space.

Yes, because you can sill save your game at any given point no matter what (even if the console is powered down)
That's the real deal for quick resume.

So yes, even in the middle of a real time 24hour of le mans or Nuerbugring race
Indeed, 50 laps around the nordschleife is pretty time consuming and being able to stop every ten laps or so will be a god send.

All games have to be installed to the SSD on both systems, even if you have a disc. I don’t recall if either Sony or MS has gone in-depth about whether games will stream data from the discs themselves but I would doubt it, seeing that you have to have the data transfer speed of the SSD for games to function as advertised.

Last edited:

llien

It could install, insta load from SSD, then lazily verify disk is presento.

It could also install to SSD in chapters, in background, whatever.

Fuck digital only.

Last edited:

martino

So everyone and their mom is showing off quick resume on series x on youtube. But since many of you (I am fully digital at this point) will still buy phyisical, does this feature even make sense? You do need to change discs before the game can quick resume from its current state, right? This would make quick resume DOA for gamers who buy physical I assume. Also a waste of space on the SSD. I hope MS can make this feature optional, so you get much of the almost 200GB OS back.
didn't even thought about that
since I'm physical only on consoles the feature is useless for me i guess
i'm even more glad i didn't planned to use it.
edit : in fact, since i more and more think, i will buy an all acces xbox one x in one or two years, it's possible i use it :D
(in the end physical on xbox is backup copy for preservation of game you really like and want to support )

Last edited:

Kssio_Aug

I think it still makes sense. Although you'd still be required to swap discs, you could start your game from the exact point you left before. No need to go through the logos screens, menus or load a save file.

vkbest

I hope this functionality can be disabled on both consoles (Although we don't know if PS5 have implement this, right?). I mean, soldered SSD + writing 12-16GB every time you launch other game, could have a huge impact on the lifetime of your SSD.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Sure. That's basically what I do on Switch all the time with just one game at a time.

It loads your games faster. That's all. It's 100% a good thing.

ZywyPL

Banned
That's a pretty damn good question! But given that shuffling the discs will take more time than booting up the games, I think QR will be mostly beneficial for people who buy games digitally, the ones whi buy games physically however will have the benefit of the games being ready to be played before they reach their couches after inserting the discs.

SkylineRKR

discs suck ass. Their only benefit is cheaper deals and resell value.

For quick resume, I guess its like it is now, if you're playing one game currently you can immediately resume it. And you can switch to digital games you have. On Vita I had 1 physical game; FFX. The rest was all digital. I kept that one in the tray. Worked out well that way.

DelireMan7

I am all physical. But honestly even if I was all digital, I am not really interested in "Quick resume".
"Losing 1 or 2 min" to boot up my console and then the game is fine on a 1-2h or more session (which is my average session time, I don't do small session).
I usually use this time to get some tea/get installed on my chair.
Even with quick resume, I have to go grab my controller which is next to the console and then go to sit, I'll not profit of the "quick resume".

And well, I like the idea to take my time (or lose time some may think) in a world where everything have to go fast...
This is another topic but since few years I tend to have the feeling that I don’t not have the time to play everything I want (it applies to other domain than gaming). Well it’s true but I try to relearn taking (losing) my time and appreciate games (and others things). You know, just take it slow and appreciate the moment. Sorry I derail a bit but it’s partially why I don’t really see the interest of “quick resume” (and others “no loading time”, “everything has to be fast” stuff...)

ReBurn

Gold Member
Physical games aren't really physical any more. So there's no reason why they shouldn't quick resume after putting the disc in. That's said, if you're using discs you're probably not worried about convenience since you're willing to fumble around with discs.

SkylineRKR

Physical games aren't really physical any more. So there's no reason why they shouldn't quick resume after putting the disc in. That's said, if you're using discs you're probably not worried about convenience since you're willing to fumble around with discs.

There needs to be a way to circumvent it, like installing to your account and having no need for a disc anymore. But then you'll enter the territory where a disc can't be traded. Or perhaps, if that particular disc installs on a different system, yours will lock out. But that could be sensitive to hacks.

All a disc does these days is an id check anyway. The entire game is ripped to your storage.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
There needs to be a way to circumvent it, like installing to your account and having no need for a disc anymore. But then you'll enter the territory where a disc can't be traded. Or perhaps, if that particular disc installs on a different system, yours will lock out. But that could be sensitive to hacks.

All a disc does these days is an id check anyway. The entire game is ripped to your storage.
I doubt that Sony and Microsoft are going to put any effort at all into making that happen. They want to incentivize digital sales. Personally I'd be perfectly fine with locking a disc license to my account to not have to use the disc any more. I get to take advantage of quick price drops on physical games and it's not like I'm going to go through the hassle to sell or trade it anyway. It does make me wonder if we're going to see any instances where console features won't work with disc-based games.

Top Bottom