• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does Adderall bring back the magic of gaming when its lost?

rm082e

I'm curious!

I'm on Vyvanse, which is a similar drug. It helps me stay focused and procrastinate less. But the effect is pretty mild. If you're not enjoying games, I think there's a lot more questions to ask and discuss with someone you can talk to before you steer towards prescription meds.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
This is the real answer, even shitty games seem like the hottest shit ever.

But after 30 minutes you'll get antsy to do something else anyway.

Maybe microdose, AND GET SOME THERAPY
I fucking hate looking at screens while on mushrooms. It looks fucking freaky. Like the scene from the Ring where the girl comes out the TV. Same effect.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

time to stop the gaming if it's becoming a problem and mind/conscience-altering narcotics are needed to enjoy it.

it sounds like you are trying to push a square peg through a round hole. Gaming isn't really all that important in life, there are plenty of other hobbies/pastimes to try out and see if you find fun or joy, be open-minded as well, you never know, even something like knitting could be your thing. I didn't think baking bread would be interesting, since covid I've gotten really into baking things like breads and stuff. Rather do something completely off base than forcing narcotic abuse to enjoy something you aren't.

EDIT: To be clear, I am in fairly the same boat as you, I am finding games utterly boring currently, we'll probably have different reasonings for why, personally for me I think the lightbulb moment or the straw that broke the camel's back for me was starfield last year. It made me realise that games are just becoming the same shit over and over and over. But whatever your reasonings might be, don't resort to extreme measures, do something else. The best thing to do is to upskill yourself in any way possible, maybe it's a new technology, or learning about some new way of doing something. However, it is quite a challenge to get into that mindset because it is difficult to know what exactly will be the thing that gets your noggin going, so much so that you can't take your mind off it.

Exercise your brain, don't damage it to make games look more appealing when they aren't

Last edited:
Someone who isn't me took it and gamed before. They said it doesn't bring back the magic of childhood wonder, but it does put you in a flow state where you're more focused and time goes by a lot quicker.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Someone who isn't me took it and gamed before. They said it doesn't bring back the magic of childhood wonder, but it does put you in a flow state where you're more focused and time goes by a lot quicker.

That's basically it. With me and Black Flag, I was MORE aware that it was a game. It actually nerfed my immersion and instead I was super focused on the mechanics, numbers, ticking boxes, it was very arcadey, for lack of a better word.

twilo99

Amphetamines can potentially bring some magic to a lot of situations but playing video games… I don’t think so.

What it can do is make you concentrate and potentially perform better in a competitive/multiplayer environment tho..

El Muerto

Weed is legal where i'm at. If i play a game stoned i run out of patience real quick if the game isnt fun. My go to game is American Truck Sim when high, it's the ultimate chill game.

OuterLimits

Heroine is much better

Yes, I imagine constantly nodding off and waking up with a controller in your hands leads to productive/enjoyable gaming sessions.

Besides, isn't heroin largely extinct now and the opioid everywhere is fentanyl? Which greatly increases the risk that the nodding off will be permanent.

Last edited:

sigmaZ

I'm curious!
When I first started taking stimulate medication as a result it made me blast through quite a few Switch games but felt nothing like gaming as a child. It was more like gaming as a job. I was hooked on the rush of task completion more than anything. Over the years the effect has tapered off and I am more selective about how much time I will devote to a game.

Last edited:

Spearheadz

Try some psychedelic mushrooms. It'll make you like lady gaga.

Oooooh caught in a mushroom trance.

creeping bad romance GIF by Lady Gaga
Yes. Please. Tell a schizophrenic to take illicit substances. What could go wrong?

CGNoire

I think you where on the right track with your whole Detox plan. Put the pot pipe down and detox man. Its totally worth it.

As someone with all 3, they make you so tired you don't have time to think about whether or not you should take fucking adderall so you can enjoy Call of Duty again lol
same. Get a little steamdeck before bed here and there and that's all I need or want. sleepin like a baby

Mortisfacio

I go through ups and downs with gaming, but I played WoW with my son for the first time this weekend with my brother. We're in our 30s now and were kids when we first played WoW. Getting to hear and see his excitement doing dungeons, in awe at how big the world is, etc. brought back a feeling of nostalgia I haven't felt in a long time.

buenoblue

I was getting a little bored of gaming last year so I upgraded my setup to an 65inch QD OLED and 7.1.2 speaker Atmos setup ☺️. All second hand so once I sold my old tv and soundbar only cost me £600 so it doesn't have to cost the earth ☺️.

It's worked a treat, gaming and TV/Movies have took on a new level and I'm playing all my old favourites on my new setup it's great. Gonna upgrade PC to 5080/5090 when they release then I'll be in the fucking matrix 😂

Don't do drugs they fuck your mind up lol 😂

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
No. Being happy enough in life to enjoy gaming has only three elements:

1. Get married.
2. Have kids.
3. Work out.
Some people should NOT have kids. OP may be one of them…

Working out or getting into a healthy hobby is always beneficial.

If games aren’t fun simply take a break or try a completely different genre. Broaden your horizons.

When taking a break try to go into another hobby you already have or try a new one. Reading manga, catching up on anime, try indoor rock climbing, go on hikes, get a dog if you want a responsibility to focus on and get you outdoors.

wizaga

Neo Member
Don't do drugs anymore ever since my daughter was born (14 years ago) trying to be a good rolemodel and not have double standards when it comes to things i Don't want her to do in the future. That being said when i did do drugs while gaming i really loved weed and/or shrooms.

Kratom is pretty great before gaming. Problem is it works best on an empty stomach and eating will lesson the effects. So you basically can't eat for a long time.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Newsflash: You can't recreate you youth.

Make the most of the here and now, and make peace with the idea of change.

Top Bottom