• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you favor WRPGS or JRPGS generally?

Which do you favor more?

• WRPGS

Votes: 121 50.4%
  • JRPGS

Votes: 119 49.6%

• Total voters

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I like both. I prefer JRPGs, although my tolerance for shounen anime tropes and fanservice has steadily declined over the years.

My ideal game would basically be a JRPG but with the writing of a WRPG. Final Fantasy XII and Yakuza: Like a Dragon are probably the closest we’ve gotten to that.

FStubbs

jRPGs. I tried to get into wRPGs back when reviewers convinced me wRPGs were inherently superior but couldn't get past the HUD of some of the older ones and the later ones just felt unfun to me.

I still give wRPGs a chance, though.

Mozzarella

We had this exact thread just 2 months ago, isn't it against the rules to make repetitive threads?

Anyway i like both but I prefer WRPG more, and i count Dark Souls as WRPG and Undertale as JRPG.

Divinity Original Sin 2 is missing on your list OP and it has the best turn based combat ever made in RPGs. Makes Persona 5 look very shallow in comparison, came out in the same year, but casuals voted for P5 because more popular, more easy, more loli and waifu baits (I like Persona 5 btw). Sad, arguably best RPG of the decade or at least one of the top 5. If you havent tried it, its time to do so.

Last edited:
The best WRPGs isn't from the likes of shitty mainstream/AAA devs like Bethesduh and Bioware, it's the indie and AA cRPGs.

Fuck Off Go Away GIF by CBC

Kinda cringe, considering most indie RPGs are copy/paste gameplay from actual good games, mixed with some shitty-looking sprites and 4 hours worth of gameplay with doodoo stories.

Besthesda is the goat, if you wanna fight about it we can get butt naked and play musical chairs in Animal Crossing but I'm guessing you're too scared.

anthraticus

Banned
Fuck Off Go Away GIF by CBC

Kinda cringe, considering most indie RPGs are copy/paste gameplay from actual good games, mixed with some shitty-looking sprites and 4 hours worth of gameplay with doodoo stories.

Besthesda is the goat, if you wanna fight about it we can get butt naked and play musical chairs in Animal Crossing but I'm guessing you're too scared.
LvOoy0w.png

Another family member !

laynelane

We had this exact thread just 2 months ago, isn't it against the rules to make repetitive threads?

Anyway i like both but I prefer WRPG more, and i count Dark Souls as WRPG and Undertale as JRPG.

Divinity Original Sin 2 is missing on your list OP and it has the best turn based combat ever made in RPGs. Makes Persona 5 look very shallow in comparison, came out in the same year, but casuals voted for P5 because more popular, more easy, more loli and waifu baits (I like Persona 5 btw). Sad, arguably best RPG of the decade or at least one of the top 5. If you havent tried it, its time to do so.

It could be that those two games appeal to different audiences. Not that there isn't some overlap, such as yourself who played both, but they don't strike me as being overtly similar to each other.

Mozzarella

It could be that those two games appeal to different audiences. Not that there isn't some overlap, such as yourself who played both, but they don't strike me as being overtly similar to each other.
They are not similar at all but i mean when i talk about best Role Playing game i cant deny that Divinity Original Sin 2 has an insane amount of role playing mechanics and depth into its gameplay, the ways you can manipulate your gameplay in combat, stealing, narrative, walking around the map and using all the tools to your advantage is just amazing. That is core, pure role playing depth right there. Its a cRPG thing, but many Open World ARPG and JRPGs simply lack this depth and in turn their role playing mechanics are just inferior. You can award them best overall games, but best RPG award should be priority for RPG depth.

Edit: To add to the thread, these results are surprising, i thought JRPG votes will dominate since its the popular genre among the casual rpg player, that along with the massive open world Triple A games like Skyrim. Pretty sure the old PC classic of cRPGs and the AA or Indie Wrpgs are very niche compared to the Persona, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Pokemon stuff. Probably because its still early poll.

Last edited:

SinDelta

I havent tried Greedfall. Whats the combat like?
Greedfall is a game that almost manages to feel like an older Bioware title, ( there is something of a Dragon Age Inquistion feeling with the environments and look) but you can tell there was a lack of budget to quite reach that level.

Combat is swords, guns and magic branches.

Last edited:

Belmonte

It is a very tough call for me.

I love how nuts JRPG settings can be. They are way more varied and are influenced by lots of media, not only D&D and other pen and paper RPGs. Medieval fantasy, cyberpunk, steampunk, school drama, post apocalyptic, religious post apocalyptic, yakuza wars, world war 2, super heroes, mechas, space fantasy....

They are more polished, have bolder and more original art style and even its weak spot, the cliches/stereotypes resonates with me. I prefer to play an original protagonist but frankly, it doesn't bother me to play as a resolute kid which starts in a small village again.

But I love how complex and ambitious WRPGs can be, specially the classics like Fallout 1, Gothic and Elder Scrolls Daggerfall/Morrowind. It seems like they didn't want to make a game, they wanted to make a place, an universe.

My father didn't allow me to play on PC in the golden age of CRPGs so I'm still cleaning my CRPG backlog as an adult. I'm very impressed to say the least. The bad part is realizing many cool mechanics/features were abandoned with the time. Glad to see indies and AA studios resurrecting some of them.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Not much of competition imo. JRPGs usually has better designs, charming characters, better systems and better stories. They are the very foundation of RPG.

As a child I grew up on games like Final Fantasy, Secret of Mana, Phantasy Star, and Shining Force. As an adult though I have to say I much prefer western RPGs. I love Witcher 2&3, Elder Scroll series, Fallout series (haven't touched 76), Mass Effect, and Wasteland. I keep trying to get back into JRPGs, but I have a hard time getting into them now for whatever reason

Last edited:

laynelane

They are not similar at all but i mean when i talk about best Role Playing game i cant deny that Divinity Original Sin 2 has an insane amount of role playing mechanics and depth into its gameplay, the ways you can manipulate your gameplay in combat, stealing, narrative, walking around the map and using all the tools to your advantage is just amazing. That is core, pure role playing depth right there. Its a cRPG thing, but many Open World ARPG and JRPGs simply lack this depth and in turn their role playing mechanics are just inferior. You can award them best overall games, but best RPG award should be priority for RPG depth.

Edit: To add to the thread, these results are surprising, i thought JRPG votes will dominate since its the popular genre among the casual rpg player, that along with the massive open world Triple A games like Skyrim. Pretty sure the old PC classic of cRPGs and the AA or Indie Wrpgs are very niche compared to the Persona, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Pokemon stuff. Probably because its still early poll.

After a bit of googling, I see Persona 5 beat Divinity: Original Sin II for best RPG in 2017 at The Game Awards. Ten percent of the voting came from fans and the other 90% was decided by jury. It would be interesting to see what went into the decision made by the voting jury.

I favor *good* rpgs. I don't care where they come from / what their structure. There's plenty of great games from both for me.

Mozzarella

It is a very tough call for me.

I love how nuts JRPG settings can be. They are way more varied and are influenced by lots of media, not only D&D and other pen and paper RPGs. Medieval fantasy, cyberpunk, steampunk, school drama, post apocalyptic, religious post apocalyptic, yakuza wars, world war 2, super heroes, mechas, space fantasy....

They are more polished, have bolder and more original art style and even its weak spot, the cliches/stereotypes resonates with me. I prefer to play an original protagonist but frankly, it doesn't bother me to play as a resolute kid which starts in a small village again.

But I love how complex and ambitious WRPGs can be, specially the classics like Fallout 1, Gothic and Elder Scrolls Daggerfall/Morrowind. It seems like they didn't want to make a game, they wanted to make a place, an universe.

My father didn't allow me to play on PC in the golden age of CRPGs so I'm still cleaning my CRPG backlog as an adult. I'm very impressed to say the least. The bad part is realizing many cool mechanics/features were abandoned with the time. Glad to see indies and AA studios resurrecting some of them.
I would like to ask about variety, i think all the genres you mentioned are also present in all wrpg. Medieval Fantasy: lots. Cyberpunk: Deus Ex and Cyberpunk. Steampunk: Arcanum (underrated game btw). School Drama is a jrpg specialty lol where else you will get the waifu baits :messenger_tears_of_joy: . Post apocalyptic: Fallout is king of this imo. And you have games like Wasteland 2 and 3. Space games like Mass Effect, Vampire the Masquerade is also something new, it uses similar engine to Valve and the concept is cool. And Disco Elysium is kinda visual novel type of detective but its still rpg due to its stats check. Kingdom Come is another one which is more about religious and realism. Yakuza is JRPG specific though but its just a modern japan setting.
I dont know, maybe i didnt play all the jrpgs out there but i definitely dont see them having advantage in vareity, in fact it feels they are the ones lacking variety, especially in modern era, its mostly sequels and remakes. Final Fantasy, Persona, Dragon Quest and Pokemon are the dominating ones. Suikoden 2 is my favorite but those are the old ones. Chrono Trigger, and Xenogears/Xenosaga. How much variety is actually there?
After a bit of googling, I see Persona 5 beat Divinity: Original Sin II for best RPG in 2017 at The Game Awards. Ten percent of the voting came from fans and the other 90% was decided by jury. It would be interesting to see what went into the decision made by the voting jury.
Yeah, they made questionable decision but the more questionable one was completely leaving out a game like Kingdom Come in 2018 (not even nominated) and giving the award to Monster Hunter: World. Also they announce the winner in quick 3 seconds without proper announcement, shows me how little respect they give it. I'm mostly fine with the other years winners.

april6e

JRPGs had been in a rut for over a decade prior to the recent couple of years when a few titles like Nier Automata, Persona 5 and Dragon Quest 11 saved the genre. Western RPGs however have enjoyed a golden age for well over the past decade and especially last gen with endless groundbreaking titles.

I don't really know how you can claim that at this moment, JRPGs are stronger unless you have strong bias towards them. Obviously, I would like to see a resurgence of the genre but many of the classic companies (that actually have the money to produce big titles) like Square seemingly have lost their magic.

Last edited:

Meicyn

Gold Member
Beat Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne yesterday. Just started Mass Effect Legendary edition. Once that’s done I’ll jump on Yakuza: Like a Dragon. After that, probably Greedfall.

Less to do with the category, more to do with whether it’s fun or not. Sometimes I feel like playing through Sonic 3 & Knuckles. Other times I fire up Civilization VI. There’s a sea of trash in any genre, I can’t say I favor any genre in particular.

Mozzarella

JRPGs had been in a rut for over a decade prior to the recent couple of years when a few titles like Nier Automata, Persona 5 and Dragon Quest 11 saved the genre. Western RPGs however have enjoyed a golden age for well over the past decade and especially last gen with endless groundbreaking titles.

I don't really know how you can claim that at this moment, JRPGs are stronger unless you have strong bias towards them. Obviously, I would like to see a resurgence of the genre but many of the classic companies (that actually have the money to produce big titles) like Square seemingly have lost their magic.
Its not that big of gap in this gen.
WRPG of this gen: Witcher 3, Fallout 4, Pillars of Eternity, Deus Ex Mankind Divided, Dark Souls 3(debatable), Divinity Original Sin 2, Kingdom Come Deliverance, The Outer Worlds, Disco Elysium, Wasteland 3, Cyberpunk 2077. (Prey-debatable?)
JRPG of this gen: Yakuza 0 and Like a dragon, Undertale (debatable), Xenoblade Chronicles X, Persona 5, Final Fantasy XV, Final Fantasy 7 Remake, Dragon Quest 11, Nier Automata, Octopath Traveler, Kingdom Hearts 3.

I dont see a big gap, its just noticeable because JRPG made a come back while WRPGs took a hit with Bioware and Bethesda shitting the bed. Next gen looks better for them so we may see.

Edit: Didn't read your comment right, sorry, my bad.

Last edited:

april6e

The majority of the JRPGs you stated came out recently, which was the entire point of my post. JRPGs suffered for well over a decade from around 2006-2016ish. Western RPGs however have had non-stop hits come out since the late 2000s and the genre has been flourishing with the open world and looter trends. It's JRPGs that need to prove that they can maintain the breath of life they have experienced in the last few years, not WRPGs which have no end to strong titles you can point to for well over a decade.

The entire JRPG genre has carried through the early 2010s almost solely by the Souls series, which is designed more like a WRPG, not a JRPG which further proves the point. The Japanese have had to take cues from western titles for their recent successes (Breath of the Wild, Nier Automata, Soulsbourne series, etc...all heavily inspired by western gameplay and design).

Last edited:

FeldMonster

I have only ever played 1 RPG in my 30 years of gaming from NES all the way through XSX, and it was a Western made JRPG (BattleChasers: Nightwar). So even though I detest anime with every fiber of my being, and think it is garbage, I guess I have to vote for JRPG.

bender

What time is it?
Mostly stuff from Japan these days. A lot of my all time favorites RPGs are WRPGs but most stuff these days just doesn't click with me.

ZehDon

A lot of JRPGs descend into operatic melodrama and non-sensical plotting that loses me pretty quickly, or they become little more than a collection of cut scenes interrupted by walking and random battles. It was fine when I was a teenager, discovering RPGs for the first time, but they don't really appeal to me much any more. There's a few I'll replay - Terranigma, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VII (mostly nostalgia on this one) - but since Eternal Sonata, I haven't played a JRPG that I've really enjoyed my time with.

WRPGs, on the other hand, haven't lost me yet. Some of them - Fallout 4 most recently - turn me off when they begin to favour the non-RPG aspects. But the rest, they draw me in like nothing else. I'll take a Deus Ex: Mankind Divided over Final Dragon Interlope Ascent X2-+JADE: Rebirth 12 any day of the week.

I lovw the innovation of turned based combat in jrpgs over the years. They mostly manage to keep it fresh but retain enough of that claasic feel that pulls you in all over again.

Agreed with above it can feel formulaic but I think the hard story beats are what give jrpgs their flare. Western games you get lost in the,free roam, not so much with jrpg, which feels more targeted grinding when necessary.

Jeeves

JRPGs any day of the week. More power to you if you like WRPGs, but just the thought of them makes me want to fall asleep.

I love JRPGs for the creative settings, dramatic stories, fun characters and satisfying gameplay systems. That last one especially...whether it's turn-based or action, I have a great time when the games pile systems on systems. I'm sure for many that's a negative, but I just adore it.

kinjx11

Banned
In the music department JRPGs win easily, WRPGs wins in graphics and overall experience

for me it's 50%

Kumomeme

jrpg because it tend to has better combat especially action type. wrpg usually atleast has responsiveness issue.

and depend on franchise, as per of my personal taste, could have better soundtrack

but i do hope jrpg learn a things or two on creating big world/open world from wrpg.

but overall depend on game. not all game belong to different group is same.

Last edited:
I like em both.

I think there are probably more good jrpgs, but I'd never want to miss out on a game like Divinity OS 2 because of some sort of monkey's paw bullshit where I can only play wrpgs or jrpgs for the rest of my life or something

IKSTUGA

Greatly prefer jrpgs. Really liked old Bioware stuff and Diablo 3, but that's about it. I'm excited to try Diablo 2 this year though, never played it and I've heard so many good things about it.

Tschumi

I wish i could say jrpg but I've had immeasurably more fun with wrpgs over the years. The ONLY jrpg I've completed, excluding zelda titles, for want of trying, is persona 4 golden.

Wrpg... To name just a few... Baldur's gate 2, Morrowind,arx fatalis, oblivion, dungeon siege*, skyrim, kotor, kotor 2, wow, pillars of eternity 1and 2.. and many more

SinDelta

YMMV on some of these. Some good, some meh. Some great, absolutely amazing, some not so great.

Tried to focus on past decade, so from around 2014/15 being the cutoff for release.

RPG
ATOM RPG
Cyberpunk 2077
Child of Light
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Battle Chasers Nightwar
Dragon Age Inquisition
Divinity Original Sin 1/2
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Fallout 4, Fallout 76
Grand Theft Auto V
Greedfall
Mass Effect Andromeda
Mass Effect Legendary Edition
Pillars of Eternity 1/2
Pathfinder Kingmaker
Red Dead Redemption 2
Wasteland 3
Witcher 3

Upcoming
Avowed
Baldur's Gate 3
Dragon Age 4 The Dread Wolf Rises
Fable
Untitled Mass Effect
Pathfinder Wrath of the Righteous

JRPG
Chrono Trigger Steam Port
Dragon Quest XI S Echos of an Elusive Age
Fire Emblem Three Houses
Final Fantasy XIV, Final Fantasy XV, Final Fantasy VII Remake, Final Fantasy VIII Remastered
Kingdom Hearts 3
Octopath Traveler
Odin Sphere Leifthrasir
Persona 4 Golden Steam Port, Persona 5 Royal
Pokemon Sun/Moon, Pokemon UltraSun/UltraMoon,Pokemon Sword/Shield, Pokemon Lets Go Pikachu, Lets Go Eevee
SaGa Frontier Remastered
Tales of Zestiria, Tales of Berseria
Trials of Mana
Trails of Cold Steel II, Trails of Cold Steel III, Trails of Cold Steel IV
Xenoblade Definitive Edition, Xenoblade X, Xenoblade 2/Expansion
Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana, Ys IX: Monstrum Nox
Yakuza 0, Yakuza Kiwami 1 and 2, Yakuza Like A Dragon
Valkyria Chronicles 4

Upcoming
Dragon Quest XII
Dragon Quest 3 Remake
Final Fantasy XVI
Tales of Arise

Rumored
Possible Dragon's Dogma 2

*Was unsure what to do with games that have RPG elements but are arguably more focused on the action, like Assassins Creed Odyssey, Assassins Creed Valhalla, Bloodborne, Dark Souls 2 SOTFS, Dark Souls 3, Nioh, Nioh 2
*There are signs Dragon's Dogma 2 will be a thing.

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

I prefer JRPGs.
Western RPGs - no matter which one, or which developer - is packed to the brim with jank. Every single one.
I'll still play both though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom