• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you buy digital or physical games?

Do you buy digital or physical games? Or both?

• Total voters

ViolentP

I’m one of the older guys here and I’m at a point where physical media has almost 0 draw for me. So similar to movies and music, I am all digital when it comes to games.

Im like 80 percent digital nowdays i still buy Physical for Switch games and some Playstation games but im 100% digital on Xbox cause i used it for gamepass
and PC is all digital so yeah

I don't like the idea that they can revoke my license any time they want, but I still buy a lot of digital games. I've been trying to convert more to physical just for game preservation, but with games needing lots and lots of patches to add features or make the game playable, it's getting harder to justify even having the disc in the first place.

Years down the road, you put the disc in and it plays like crap and it's missing 90% of the content because that's all the disc came with (I'm looking at you DriveClub ;-))

100% Digital for Games.

100% Physical for Movies and Music

It took me far too long to realize how useless physical game disks are. They no longer come with booklets, they rarely have the full game on them, most games have an online component, the game cannot play directly from disk because of the read speed, and a digital and physical game are identical in code.

Also, once I got a taste of how convenient switching games is digitally, having to go pull a case off the shelf and switch disks seemed so unnecessarily tedious.

This is contrast to my 4K movies and CD music which are far higher quality in their physical formats.
Almost 100% of the disc game ship with the full game on them. It's just the DLC you don't get.

Remember when people thought Resident Evil Village downloaded mostly from the internet? That was a lie. The user was mistaken because it had a split install where you could start playing the game before the entire disc was copied over. It 100% does not require an internet connection to install and play that game. Same thing with AC:Valhalla. You can play it offline without having to download anything.

I buy physical copies that don't have the games on them but serve as the key that graciously allows me to download the game. Best of both worlds! /s

Seriously, mostly digital.
When was this a thing? I have yet to see a disc that doesn't have the game on it. Please tell me which game requires a download.

On Xbox it’s like 70/30 Physical/Digital. Prefer physical unless there’s a digital sale on something for $15 or less. Also there’s digital only games that I don’t have the choice on obviously. If the same game is $5 more for physical I’ll shell out for it.

On Switch I don’t have many games for it, but it’s basically 50/50. Switch games never have huge sales so I just get whichever has a meager sale first (between physical and digital). Usually stuff like old ports (DMC3 or No More Heroes) get pretty cheap digitally when on sale so I grabbed those.

GrayDock

Mostly physical, since me and my friends like to borrow each other games from time to time. Yep, 'physical' friends are still a thing for me.
I only buy digital at huge discounts and only when it's a online only game or when it's a single player like that doesn't have a physical option, which is a shame and more common these days...

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
For PC, digital. The deals are just too good to ignore.

For consoles, physical. I don't own too many console games, so the few I have I want to have them on physical. I miss manuals tho.

Termite

100% digital and have been for almost a decade.

If you don't live in a major country it's so much cheaper it's unreal. New releases are $120 USD here, whereas $60 online. And the sales you get sometimes digitally are incredible, and way better than brick-and-mortar sales, even in the US. No-brainer.

Then on top of that you get the convenience of not having shit cluttering up your place. And I never resold games anyway.

Lastly, the whole game doesn't even come on the disk anymore anyway, so it's not like that disk is all you need once the servers go down. There's day-1 updates and major patches and free DLC etc etc.

Fbh

Console: Almost everything that's $40 or more I'll buy physical. I only buy digital during sales and even then only if the games are $40 or under.
PC: 100% Digital though thanks to multiple different vendors and regional pricing it's always substantially cheaper than on console.

Jeeves

I play Switch and PC. PC is predictably all digital.

On Switch, it depends. If it's a single-player game that I'll do a playthrough of and then shelve it until my next playthrough, I go physical. If it's a game I'll be loading up often and unpredictably (Smash Bros., Animal Crossing etc) I go digital. This way I get the perks of physical for much of my library, but I also rarely have to swap game carts, and I save on SD card space too.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
All big full price releases I buy physical. It's cheaper, I can sell or lend out the games, etc. Smaller titles I buy digital (which is usually the only option anyway). Also online-focused games that I want available whenever. I very rarely buy anything like that though, but one case where I did is Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. That made sense to have always ready to fire up no matter which SP game is currently in the cartridge slot.

kyliethicc

Interesting to see the plurality is 100% digital. The trend is obvious.

And those who prefer physical are more likely to also buy an occasional digital game.

E2lYZfl.jpg

NewYork214

Ps5 is like 90%digital. Rarely buy physical unless good deal. Switch is like 60% physical. Don't know why but just feels more natural with nintendo. Might be cause I'm a 90s kid and using cartridge feels more natural with ninentdo lol

Edit: plus I buy my switch games on ebay since their fucking games are never cheap, since I only buy Nintendo games for switch. Big part of the reason

Last edited:

Rival

Gold Member
I don’t really have any hard rule about physical vs digital but I usually buy PlayStation and Nintendo games physical. Sometimes I buy physical and digital Nintendo games and keep a sealed copy. PC and Xbox is all digital and where I do the majority of my gaming. I literally have probably a thousand different digital games between all the different storefronts. I just go wherever the best deals are.

nikos

Pretty much 100% digital but voted 80-90% because there's the odd physical game here and there. Last one was SMTV on Switch. Before that, some launch day PS5 games.

Also 99% a PC gamer but I still prefer digital on console.

SZips

I cannot remember the last physical game that I personally purchased. I had some physical media sent to me for reviews ages back but even all of that is basically just all digital now too.

All digital. I buy a lot of my games when they go on the PSN sales.

I just wait until they have something I'm interested in for a good price and I'll jump on it, but other than that I just play a lot of games already in my library.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
I prefer owning my games, being able to trade them, lend them, loan them. Borrow them from friends and family. Helps keep costs low while having a nice collection of all the games I absolutely adore.

Digital doesn't give me that.

Physical on console unless it's dirty cheap on PSN. Digital on PC because I have no other option.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Last disc game I bought was I think Witcher 3 with the bonus book.

Home sharing with a friend is awesome. Cuts the costs in half. Sub plans are included in home sharing too.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

FYI - since I see many under the false illusion:

You own licenses to use. You don’t own the games. Physical and digital.

Neo_GAF

Banned
If games are dirt cheap online(less than 15€ like in a sale or something), I will bite the bullet.
otherwise always physical. and i will usually try to wait it out here too.

I prefer to buy physical for the sense of ownership and to have something to sell on once I am done with the game (or console) but I do admit that as someone who plays lots of different games at any one time that the convenience of having a digital game is very appealing, doing away with the need to constantly swap discs. In that sense, I actually like it when a game I own on disc comes to GamePass (on Xbox Series X) or PSN+ (on PS5) so I can play it without the disc. Case in point, I bought F1 2021 for my Xbox Series X last year and now it is on GamePass so I can load it up whenever I want now without having to change discs.

100% digital ownership though is not something I would be happy with on console for two reasons; (1) release day games are too expensive considering there's no packaging or disc manufacturing costs but I can buy the physical version £10 cheaper from the likes of The Game Collection or similar here in the UK; and (2) I don't feel like I own a digital game at all and there's always the feeling that you could lose access to the game if the publishers decides to remove it from the server or the server goes down (which happened with the Xbox Series X last weekend when I was unable to play the single player GTA V campaign). However, I am happy to pick up digital games in the sales when they are heavily discounted to more appealing amounts (sub-£25). This then makes up for the lack of production costs which is never reflected in the price of the games when they are first released. Paying £69.99 for a digital PS5 game is eye-watering but paying £59.99 for a physical disc that has worth is fine (albeit still expensive).

On PC, I buy all of my games digitally because, well, physical copies don't exist anymore but, even so, 99.9% of my games are bought much cheaper that, say, Steam prices from key resellers such as CDKeys.com so I've never had a problem with buying games that way for PC. Consoles though have less options and so physical discs remain the best value for me personally.

Last edited:

Y0ssarian

Banned
GameCube, DS & 3DS, Wii, Wii U - ALL PHYSICAL. My collections for these systems are basically complete.

Switch - Pretty much everything is physical, except for Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Torna and Final Fantasy X-2 (because it was a shitty download instead of being on the cartridge with FFX)

Xbox Series S - do I need to elaborate

Sega Mega Drive Mini - 2000 games including Master System, Mega Drive, NES & SNES games

Last edited:

Boss Mog

The poll will be skewed since it includes PC players who basically only have the digital option and also access to many grey market deals.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
On PS physical mostly with smaller indie games purchased digitally.

On Xbox all digital.

On PC all digital.

On Switch… don’t buy games anymore for it.

SegaManAU

Gold Member
95% physical.

I'll only buy digital if it's a game that I want to play and it didn't get a physical release.

TheSweeper

The only physical games I buy are collector's editions and that's about 2 - 3 per year. All other games are bought digitally. It's just more convenient and saves space.

Top Bottom