• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do people realize Crash Bandicoot N.Sane Trilogy is the best selling non-bundled platformer this gen? Over 10 million sold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whether or not it is the highest selling, it's a pretty incredible number for a remake of PS1 titles.

I bet Activision wishes they released them separately over a 3 year period.

I don't think that would work as well unless then were each $19.99.

A decent revival to classic 3d platformers (even though spyro is better, fight me)

now when Banjo remastered?

Maybe Spyro 2.

Also Banjo has already been remastered on Xbox.

Codes 208

Also Banjo has already been remastered on Xbox.
Remastered as in graphically enhanced but with essentially the same gameplay. Basically i want B&K to get the halo anniversary/crash/spyro treatment

banjo on the 360 is more or less just a slightly updated rez bump of the og version.

Last edited:
Remastered as in graphically enhanced but with essentially the same gameplay. Basically i want B&K to get the halo anniversary/crash/spyro treatment

banjo on the 360 is more or less just a slightly updated rez bump of the og version.

So you want a remake not a remaster.

Issue is Banjo doesn't have the pull it used to but Phil said something about Banjo before so something might come from that.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
I'm not sure I understand the metric the OP is measuring but it sold a lot more than I expected for sure...and i bought it twice.

Semantics. If you check out the og trailer for crash they even say “remastered”

It's not semantics, some devs are dub and use the wrong words, this was an old argument long settles, Remasters and remakes aren't the same, that's why most remakes use remake or some other word that's similar and not remaster. Some devs using the wrong word doesn't change it to semantics, it's wrong.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Semantics. If you check out the og trailer for crash they even say “remastered”

It's not semantics - or at least, it shouldn't be. A remake is one thing. A remaster is another thing.

In actuality, the word "remaster" makes no sense in the process of video games. We have a perfectly good word for this, we have had it for years, and it is "port." Banjo-Kazooie 360 is a port of the N64 title. Devil May Cry on PS4 is a port of the PS2 game. So on and so on.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I didn't get it in '96 and I don't get it now.These games aren't exactly the best.

PS1 library was limited in 1996 (you had Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, a Doom port, and uhhhhhh) so a merely decent game like Crash sold like hotcakes. Naughty Dog was able to capitalize on the momentum by pumping out timely sequels and a successful kart spinoff. Result was many of us who grew up with PS1 remember Crash or Spyro fondly.

Airbus Jr

Banned
I did a litle background/ comment history check on the people harrassing OP and posting negative feedback on this thread

They seem to share something in common which is a strong afinity with Nintendo

I wonder why that is, perhaps because they view this game as a rival for mario kart

Seems like the news of this game doing well makes em unhappy

Last edited:

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
A decent revival to classic 3d platformers (even though spyro is better, fight me)

now when Banjo remastered?
2008. We need a new Banjo instead.
I did a litle background/ comment history check on the people harrassing OP and posting negative feedback on this thread

They seem to share something in common which is a strong afinity with Nintendo

I wonder why that is, perhaps because they view this game as a rival for mario kart

Seems like the news of this game doing well makes em unhappy
Who is unhappy with the game's success? The headline of the thread is just plain wrong and to discard Odyssey like op did is pretty stupid. N-Sane Trilogy is the best way to play Crash and its success will likely lead to new Crash games to follow, so I am super happy it was successful. Doesn't make the thread any more accurate though. Also how is Crash N-Sane Trilogy a rival to Mario Kart? Should have made a better background check for the game genres.

Last edited:
PS1 library was limited in 1996 (you had Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, a Doom port, and uhhhhhh)

And Parappa, and Ridge Racer, and Legacy of Kain, and Mortal Kombat Trilogy, and Dead or Alive, and Tekken, and Tekken 2, and Jet Moto.

Erhem...

And Mega Man 8, and Street Fighter Alpha 2, and Rage Racer, and Rayman, and Twisted Metal, and Twisted Metal 2, and Cool Borders, and Road Rash.

Hmmm...

And Earthworm Jim 2, and Gex, and Namco Museum, and Myst, and Primal Rage, and Soul Blade, and Wing Commander 3, and Wipeout, and Wipeout XL, and NBA JAM tournament Edition,

and....

Oh he's gone... ;)

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

Shit

Legacy of Kain

Shit. Gimme Soul Reaver.

Mortal Kombat Trilogy

Have you played the PS1 version? Literally had to load every time Shang Tsung transforms and any time you go into any menu. Midway did the impossible and made a game that played better on N64 versus PS1.

Dead or Alive

Shit

Shit

Tekken 2 and Jet Moto

I'll give you these two. These were good.

Mega Man 8

Shit

Street Fighter Alpha 2

Saturn was the place for 2D fighters that gen, despite being a failure of a console. I loved me some PS1 Marvel Super Heroes and MvC but they were not quality versions.

Rage Racer

What if I told you Type 4 and V were the only good games in the series.

Its alright.

Twisted Metal

Shit.

Twisted Metal 2

Better. I'll give you this.

Cool Borders

I'll give you this too.

Road Rash.

lol

Earthworm Jim 2

I didn't even know this was a thing.

May as well put Croc and Blasto.

Namco Museum

Yea and Rare Replay Collection is a great Xbox title.

lol

Primal Rage

Literally garbage.

Soul Blade

Great game. Shame that it lives in the shadow of Soul Calibur. Deserves more recognition.

Wing Commander 3

Never played.

I'm the biggest Wipeout fan on this forum and I can tell you the first game was nothing to write home about.

Wipeout XL

I'm ashamed that I forgot this one. Assumed it was 97 for some reason.

NBA JAM tournament Edition

Never played.

So yeah you bring up some great titles that I failed to mention. PS1 library was better in 96 than my post implies. But I still feel my point about the library being fairly limited in 1996 is valid. Crash's release in 96 was hugely critical to its success as a franchise. It was the only thing on PS1 comparable to Mario 64 in production values and gameplay. Hence Sony making him become a sort of mascot and Crash advertisements bring up the comparison.

But I still feel my point about the library being fairly limited in 1996 is valid. Crash's release in 96 was hugely critical to its success as a franchise. It was the only thing on PS1 comparable to Mario 64 in production values and gameplay. Hence Sony making him become a sort of mascot and Crash advertisements bring up the comparison.

First off this is desperate damage control, your claim was that was nothing there not that IN YOUR OPINION the games were good or not.

Based on your original post I listed best selling PSX games that were successful, some majorly so. The First Crash actually took a couple of years and price drops to get to its biggest figure, and is the least best selling game of the first 3 games.

Sony made Crash the mascot primarily because they had a contract with Universal that owned Naughty Dog, and while yes success played a factor there were plenty successful games outside of Crash in 1995/1996.

Also your bottom comment makes no sense since in America Crash came out before Mario 64. Crash was already the unofficial mascot before Crash even released.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Yet the OP says that Mario outsold it.

Do you always have to be wrong and ignore OPs in nearly every thread you're in? ON every forum?
What forums do you know I am active in?

Your op disregards it because it was bundled at launch, even though Crash also was bundled at launch.

Yoboman

Crash is dope. The end
Meme Reaction GIF

ksdixon

It's 2d but does sonic mania count as a comparison platformer? That sold well as well.

It was so disheartening to see Sega and Activision walk back 2d sonic and crash revivals after those games came out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom