• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DNF Duel - Who's Next Trailer

saintjules

Thanks to @[Sigma] for link:

CHARACTER REVEALS

MECHANICS

Last edited:

Doom85

Looks cool, definitely checking out anything by Arc System Works. Still hoping we get another anime fighter (as in based off an anime, obviously their games have the anime aesthetic) from them some day like they did with Dragonball FighterZ (I think either Naruto or One Piece would be the obvious choices).

Doom85

I thought this was about Duken Nukem Forever :messenger_grinning_sweat:

LOL, that’s the problem with acronyms, we eventually start getting some overlap.

I remember in 2016 when the anime Re:Zero started airing, some fans shortened it to RE:0 (despite the title being short anyways). I knew that might lead to some confusion to gamers who would see that and think they meant Resident Evil 0, and sure enough some time later on gamefaqs an anime thread was happening and someone said “RE:0” meaning the anime and another poster was like, “Resident Evil 0 got an anime?!”

Last edited:

Doom85

bumping this thread. beta tomorrow hype

Dark elf girl?

neil patrick harris yes GIF by Rosanna Pansino

I mean, I was already going to get this, but now there’s no doubt in my mind who my main will be.

saintjules

same. i hope its good. this is the first time im hyped for a fighting game that isnt mk, sf or gg.

Indeed. I know many are worried about how the control mechanics work because it hasn't been talked about. I think if it's anything like Grandblue Fantasy or Guilty Gear, then we should be fine. I mean, Arc System Works is involved here.

Last edited:

blackjon24

I’ll give this a try. Haven’t really liked the IP arc system work has picked has of late. Two pay to win gambling game series for a row?

Some of the character designs are looking cool to me! I like Crusader.

One con I have with what's shown of this game so far is that the music isn't all that spectacular to me. It fits within its context, but I haven't heard anything that fits my tastes and really pulls me into the action or characters. Just standard guitar battle songs, where as I desire to feel the story/conflict/fight in an aural sense to compliment the action on screen.

Now my taste is more aligned to something like this that's a bit less melodic and a tad more cinematic:

That said, I don't expect it from most fighting games. Soul Calibur had this cool, actiony, yet emotional event song:

Everyone likes something different, and this here is more my jam! Soul Calibur actually used to be one of my favorite games and its more dramatic fighting tracks which Soul Calibur III and IV also had some good ones, played a role in that. Nowadays, I feel like that series is missing something. I think at some point the medieval world was lost on me or became less interesting as I got older and more entries came out, and the exploding costumes, custom fighters, and fanservice became more... attention grabbing, the 'soul' of Soul Calibur, if you will, became more lost on me. The series stopped gripping me. Music wasn't winning me either, and without a winning combination of these various parts, I don't think I can muster the patience of learning the engine and character nuances that comes with most fighting games.

I hate the choppy animation style, but the game seems pretty fun other than that. It has a surprisingly weighted feel, and the idea of having a button specifically for command normals similar to Smash is interesting in theory.

saintjules

I've played Grappler, Hitman and Inquisitor so far. Maybe it's just me but Grappler moves a lot slower than I thought he would. Loving the game so far otherwise.

I don't mind using the block button for incoming attacks, but pressing back to guard is thankfully present here.

No CPU or Training mode unfortunately, but you can get a grip on the game after a few matches.

NT80

It's ridiculous they way you have to get the beta in this way. I've never had to do that with any previous beta. I also never knew anything about this beta beforehand. Do they actually want people to play?

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
Jesus, those acronyms, and the Engrish. The game looks interesting, although pretty uninviting with what looks like a ton of systems, in true Arc System Works fashion.

I just wish someone there hired an English speaker to guide them with their ridiculous names, grammar and fix the engrish voice acting, to at least give these games a chance. It's the same with that other game, Granberuru Fantasy, what the hell is even that?

Last edited:

Labolas

Got about 8 to 12 hours in total. Some thoughts: The game is fun. It feels like every character has some busted that can do, which can make either a fun experience or a dreadful one. The characters I put time into the most were Berserker (male Slayer) and Striker (female Fighter). Both are easy to use and understand. I pick up those characters mostly because they were the characters I use in DFO back when Nexon had complete control of the English servers and updates. The only characters I would consider somewhat difficult or need some adjusting to are the Crusader and Grappler, one of which I got fucked up by. The game has really bonker specials. This is probably the most over the top specials I've seen.

Also go play the beta of KOF 15 as well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom