• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney scores digital coup with Apple & Google

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenix

Walt Disney Co. has achieved something that many in Hollywood—and Silicon Valley—have been attempting for years: Getting Apple Inc. and Google Inc. to play nicely together.

In an unprecedented agreement to share rights to digital content, the two tech giants will allow consumers who buy a Disney movie from either of their online stores to watch it on smartphones, tablets and other digital devices that run their rival’s operating system.

Starting Tuesday people who register with the Disney Movies Anywhere app and buy a copy of “Frozen” from the Google Play store on an Android tablet, for instance, can later watch the film on an Apple TV through their iTunes library.

Until now, Apple has restricted movies, TV shows and other content to its own family of iOS devices, along with Mac or Windows computers. Google placed similar restriction on its digital store and Android-powered devices.

Such a strategy can help to lock consumers into one hardware company, but Hollywood studios have long argued that it makes people wary of buying digital movies because they must worry that if they buy a different device, their film library will disappear. DVDs, by contrast, work on players built by any manufacturer.

Both Apple and Google will pay Disney a wholesale rate for each copy of a film that they sell and keep any profits, regardless of the devices on which people watch.

“This is about getting people comfortable with building their digital movies collection,” said Jamie Voris, chief technology officer at Walt Disney Studios. “Disney is going to protect them and make sure they can watch their movies wherever they want to.”

The deal is particularly notable because every major Hollywood studio save for Disney is part of a coalition called Ultraviolet that, like Disney Movies Anywhere, is designed to let people build a library of movies online without worrying about restrictions on the devices they can use to watch.

Ultraviolet launched in late 2011, more than two years before Disney Movies Anywhere. Yet the backers of Ultraviolet, which include Time Warner Inc.’s Warner Bros. and Sony Corp.’s Sony Pictures Entertainment, have been unable to persuade Apple to join Ultraviolet. Though its market share has been falling, Apple still controls 61% of online movie sales, according to research firm IHS.

Google, which is also not part of Ultraviolet, accounted for 7% of U.S. online movie sales in the first half of 2014.

“The approach Ultraviolet has taken relative to the approach Disney Movies Anywhere has taken is slightly different,” said Jonathan Zepp, head of Google Play Movies partnerships. “[Disney’s] was the one we felt was the right path for us to move forward with right now.”

Asked whether other movies from studios were likely to become available for similar sharing between Google and Apple devices, Mr. Zepp called such a proposition “philosophically interesting.”

The agreement applies to Disney movies purchased online and digital copies that come with Blu-ray discs.

A spokeswoman for Apple declined to comment.

Disney and Apple have had close corporate ties since the media giant’s 2006 acquisition of Pixar Animation Studios, which at the time was controlled by Apple’s then-chief, Steve Jobs . Disney Chief Executive Robert Iger is on Apple’s board and a trust controlled by Mr. Jobs ’ widow, Laurene Powell Jobs, is the largest shareholder of Disney, with a 7.5% stake.

Mark Teitell, general manager of Ultraviolet, noted that apps from companies that are part of his coalition, including Wal-Mart Stores Inc.’s Vudu, are usable on Apple and Android devices.

“We tend to look at what a consumer can do with six major studios’ titles,” Mr Teitell said.

With Apple and Google, Disney Movies Anywhere now works with retailers that account for more than two-thirds of digital movie sales. Ultraviolet works with stores that account for less than 12%.

Amazon.com Inc., which made up almost 9% of digital movie sales in the first half of this year, is in talks with several studios to join Ultraviolet, The Wall Street Journal reported last month.

Though it releases fewer movies than other major studios, Disney is a powerhouse in the home video market because its family-entertainment titles are more frequently purchased so that young children can watch them repeatedly.

Disney Movies Anywhere launched in February, but worked only with Apple’s iTunes at the time. A version of the app for Android devices launches Tuesday. Despite the expanded usage rights under the Disney deal, the economics of digital movie sales will remain the same, a knowledgeable person said.

This is a very interesting development that if forced by more studios will outline the digital future for content providers - FINALLY.

Cheebo

Banned
I think Disney is unique in that Disney and Apple have very very close ties.

The Jobs family is the largest shareholder of Disney after all.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Pretty interesting considering the connection between Apple and Disney (Steve Jobs was Disney's largest shareholder before his death and Bob Iger is on Apple's board of directors).

Cheebo

Banned
Pretty interesting considering the connection between Apple and Disney (Steve Jobs was Disney's largest shareholder before his death and Bob Iger is on Apple's board of directors).
Which is why I don't think we will see this play out elsewhere anytime soon. Disney has a huge amount of influence on Apple and Apple has a strong history with Disney. The other studios don't have have such close ties

Phoenix

Which is why I don't think we will see this play out elsewhere anytime soon. Disney has a huge amount of influence on Apple and Apple has a strong history with Disney. The other studios don't have have such close ties

Which is why its weird that it happened in the first place. The close ties between Apple and Disney almost dictated that it would make more sense for things to be more Apple leaning as opposed to "required multiplatform". Why WOULDN'T the other studios look for a similar relationship, they have absolutely nothing to lose.

Notably absent from any of these discussions was Amazon - and that's very interesting.

massoluk

Banned
The deal is particularly notable because every major Hollywood studio save for Disney is part of a coalition called Ultraviolet that, like Disney Movies Anywhere, is designed to let people build a library of movies online without worrying about restrictions on the devices they can use to watch.
Uhh... coulda sworn I've been watching Captain America: Winter Soldier on Ultraviolet

edit: Hee, this Disney Movie Anywhere. Remember you have a hard time getting Disney VHS movie because they only released them once every decade or something?

cory64

Article is playing up the "rivals cooperating" angle, this is more like "Disney adds Google Play to DMA ecosystem on reciprocal level with iTunes and disc purchases" Nothing about Apple's DMA agreement has changed, it's the same end result for them as someone adding to their Disney library from a disc code.

dorikyasu

This is great. I just linked my Google Play account to Disney Movie account and all of my previously purchased Disney/Marvel movies from various sources (UltraViolet, iTunes, etc.) showed up in my Google Play Movies.
Plus free digital copy of Wreck-it-Ralph!
Thanks Disney/Google/Apple!
Wish others could follow, but highly doubt that'll happen...

Somnid

Notably absent from any of these discussions was Amazon - and that's very interesting.

Not surprising. Amazon slapped them around a few months back for a better deal.

Really the only one who stands to benefit is Google as not very many people buy movies from the Play Store. Since most of the sales will originate within iTunes this is Apple's loss as it weakens iTunes lock-in.

Jtrizzy

I use Amazon Instant Video. Should I be doing it differently? I have a PC, WiiU, and PS4 hooked up to my entertainment system. I do use itunes for all of my music though.

I have to watch my Amazon and Netflix stuff on PS4 though, as PC doesn't seem to do 5.1 surround (or even HD for some things) but PS4 does. I rarely watch movies on my iphone 6 though, and it also has Amazon Instant video (why does Apple allow this?)

Not surprising. Amazon slapped them around a few months back for a better deal.

Really the only one who stands to benefit is Google as not very many people buy movies from the Play Store. Since most of the sales will originate within iTunes this is Apple's loss as it weakens iTunes lock-in.

Disney wins, because their goal of having their customers go full digital continues, which is terrible for anyone who wants to have physical archived version of their movies. Already had to order my Frozen 3D bluray from Europe as Disney only released a 3d version digitally here in the states. It's getting frustrating.

This is great. I just linked my Google Play account to Disney Movie account and all of my previously purchased Disney/Marvel movies from various sources (UltraViolet, iTunes, etc.) showed up in my Google Play Movies.
Plus free digital copy of Wreck-it-Ralph!
Thanks Disney/Google/Apple!
Wish others could follow, but highly doubt that'll happen...

Your UltraViolet copies of Disney Movies showed up? How'd that happen, Disney doesn't use UltraViolet

Somnid

Disney wins, because their goal of having their customers go full digital continues, which is terrible for anyone who wants to have physical archived version of their movies. Already had to order my Frozen 3D bluray from Europe as Disney only released a 3d version digitally here in the states. It's getting frustrating.

True, I just find it odd that it's spun as a win for Apple, it looks to me more like a no confidence vote in iOS lock-in.

Argyle

Great, finally bothered to redeem my Disney digital copies, previously they were pretty much useless to me...

Hopefully this finally would do away from the Disney tax on their films. Those joints are pricey on iTunes. They never go on sale :( Still buy them, but c'mon. Let a brother eat!

Goldrush

Anyone knows if Blank: A Vinylmation Love Story is part of the library? It is Disney, but was given out free on Google Play a while back. Don't want to link my Google account if I it doesn't add anything.

Disney is a fucking behemoth. If anyone could push around Apple and Google, it would be them.

Disney's CEO is a member of Apple's board of directors and Steve Jobs was the largest shareholder of the Walt Disney Company before his death. This was probably ok'd by Apple first.

Uhh... coulda sworn I've been watching Captain America: Winter Soldier on Ultraviolet

edit: Hee, this Disney Movie Anywhere. Remember you have a hard time getting Disney VHS movie because they only released them once every decade or something?

NO, NOT THE DREADED DISNEY VAUL-*is buried in gold coins*

Edit: You have been watching it on Ultraviolet. They used iTunes or Ultraviolet for the digital code. They're just tying Disney Movies Anywhere into it now, so it knows everything you have.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I think he means previous Marvel movies that used UltraViolet (the ones before the Disney acquisition).

Ultraviolet didn't exist until years after the acquisition and the ones distributed by studios other than Disney didn't come with Ultraviolet even when there was Ultraviolet.

TEJ

I have a dream

That one day, the disney vault will be a thing of the past and that they won't vault digital movies FFS.

The vault is my second most loathed thing about their movies, right after the dreaded Disney direct to video sequel.

Hopefully this finally would do away from the Disney tax on their films. Those joints are pricey on iTunes. They never go on sale :( Still buy them, but c'mon. Let a brother eat!

Yeah, I buy all my movies on vudu, and every disney movie is $23, no matter how old, and never goes on sale.

They know they have me by the balls for needing my Marvel and Pixar movies

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Yeah, I buy all my movies on vudu, and every disney movie is $23, no matter how old, and never goes on sale.

You buy all of your movies on Vudu? Like, you make the actual transaction there? Because buying the Blu-ray with an Ultraviolet code is usually cheaper (always cheaper if you sell the disc) and buying just the code is potentially even less.
Unless you mean you just borrow a friend's Blu-ray disc and pay the $1 fee, in which case carry on.

They can't be that interested in everyone going full digital. The only Disney Blu rays I have that have a digital code are the couple of Muppet Blu Ray's that I brought back from America.

In the UK, you get the Blu Ray and that's it. On VERY rare occasions, you may get a DVD, but I don't have a single one with a digital code.

You buy all of your movies on Vudu? Like, you make the actual transaction there? Because buying the Blu-ray with an Ultraviolet code is usually cheaper (always cheaper if you sell the disc) and buying just the code is potentially even less.
Unless you mean you just borrow a friend's Blu-ray disc and pay the $1 fee, in which case carry on.

Depends on the situation. Sometimes I'll buy the blu-ray on the cheap and pay the fee to get it on my account, sometimes I'll buy the blu-ray on the cheap and use the code. A lot of times the movies will go on sale cheap enough that I'm willing to pay a couple dollars more to not have to take the time to get the disc and go to wal-mart (none of my computers have a blu-ray drive, so I can't do it from home)

And sometimes I just want a movie on an impulse and am willing to just buy it on the site because in truth I don't care about physical copies. I move around a lot so physical clutter is a bad thing, and I share the account with my whole family, so having a digital copy anyone can watch from any device gives me a LOT more utility than any disc.

Plus Disney movies don't come with codes, and can't be added through the wal-mart process anyway (that only works for ultraviolet movies). So no matter what, I just buy those outright. Still waiting on GotG

Well, it looks like Google is getting my money. All their Disney/Marvel films are 14.99 there. Looks like I'm pre-ordering all my Disney/Marvel films on Google play for now on. What's great I still get the iTunes Extras even if I get it from Google Play..Good job on making this deal happen Disney.

TAJ

Plus Disney movies don't come with codes, and can't be added through the wal-mart process anyway (that only works for ultraviolet movies)

I forgot that a lot of people do it in Walmart stores. I have a Blu-ray/HD-DVD/DVD drive in my PC and there's an app to do it from home. (I realize that Walmart owns Vudu.)

I forgot that a lot of people do it in Walmart stores. I have a Blu-ray/HD-DVD/DVD drive in my PC and there's an app to do it from home. (I realize that Walmart owns Vudu.)

I'd do it from home if I had a drive, but I don't

And I wouldn't say a LOT of people do it. When I started going to my Wal-Mart to do it the people behind the counter didn't even know what the process was, or that they offered it. No one does it in my area

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom