• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney says it will crack down on password sharing, following Netflix’s lead starting in 2024

Draugoth

Gold Member
https%3A%2F%2Fwinteriscoming.net%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fgetty-images%2F2022%2F11%2F880238778-850x560.jpeg

Disney planning to end password sharing for Disney+ and Hulu

On a recent earnings call, Disney CEO Bob Iger hinted that the company will end the practice of password sharing for both Disney+ and Hulu, both of which are operated by Disney. “We already have the technical capability to monitor much of this,” he said, per The A.V. Club. Apparently they stand to make a pretty penny by disallowing people to share accounts. As you’d expect, there’s a lot of that currently going on. “I’m not going to give a specific number, except to say that it is significant.”

Iger suggested that a ban on password sharing will go into effect sometime in 2024. According to Dextero, they’re also raising prices for both Disney+ and Hulu, like so:

• Disney+: $10.99 to $13.99
  • Hulu: $14.99 to $17.99
  • Disney+ and Hulu bundle: $20.00 to $24.99

Doczu

Holy shit, so not only they'll raise the price but try to crackdown on account sharing?

Even though i said i took my own Netflix account after the cracdown hit us i opted out barely after a month. Probably will do the same for D+, cause these streaming services are getting pricier and pricier

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
$25 for that unending wave of garbage known as Hulu and Disney+ is just hilarious

This is just a worse deal than we used to get for cable.
Everytime someone says this I have to roll my eyes. Cable is far worse, you pay that just for them to redistribute the local OTA channels to you.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Well, that's a bummer. I just cancelled my Hulu and Disney+ recently anyway, though.

Trunx81

My Netflix runs out in two days. Have been an early adopter in 2014 and had my account since then. It feels like … freedom.

Just do it, Disney. It will surely work out fine.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Now I want Cable back because that use to be cheaper.
I have cable (internet only) that's $100/month. They have a package deal with my same internet speed (1Gbps) + 100 channels of basic cable for $120. So for literally less than the price of this bundle, I could get 100 channels.

My problem is, I just can't go back to watching commercials.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I have cable (internet only) that's $100/month. They have a package deal with my same internet speed (1Gbps) + 100 channels of basic cable for $120. So for literally less than the price of this bundle, I could get 100 channels.

I had already started dvring everything I wanted anyway. YouTube tv is outrageously priced but I have it.

Billbofet

I have Disney+ and Hulu paying a year in advance to get the savings. When it's up for renewal, I'll keep Hulu and dump Disney+.
I can't imagine the quality of their shows will get any better and the backlog of IP isn't as compelling as I thought it would be when I first signed up.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

Introductory pricing or permanent? You have to rent a box from them? First box free but you have to pay if you want one for other TVs? Don't worry you can pay just a little bit extra for DVR capability and skip the commercials. Of course you will need to rent a DVR from them as well. But if you go for the triple play bundle with landline phone service you can save some money. You'll probably want to rent a cable modem with voice capability though. Might as well add the mesh wifi as well, just a small rental charge.
Seriously cable service is the absolute worst, my mother in law was paying $270 a month for landline phone/internet/TV service.

Meicyn

Gold Member
People really hate paying for stuff lol
Sort of. I mean, if we’re generalizing, corporations hate paying their employees what they’re worth. When you raise your prices and reduce value to the consumer while still paying laughable residuals to the folks making streaming content, it’s hard for me to give a shit about poor ol’ Netflix or little Timmy Disney.

I just simply stop watching entirely and move on with my life. There’s no shortage of things to do. And there’s legal free alternatives if I just want to throw something on, like Pluto TV which is aiming to replicate the cable TV experience, complete with annoying commercials.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
In my place we have Disney, prime (with Brit box and paramount), Netflix, Apple TV, and crunchy roll…

I’d be happy to cancel Disney and Netflix but my kids watch them, one watches Disney and the other Netflix

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Sort of. I mean, if we’re generalizing, corporations hate paying their employees what they’re worth. When you raise your prices and reduce value to the consumer while still paying laughable residuals to the folks making streaming content, it’s hard for me to give a shit about poor ol’ Netflix or little Timmy Disney.

Disney is losing billions on Disney+. Netflix is profitable but the model w/ it's current pricing absolutely can't afford large residuals. Residuals occur in TV because specific $'s come in when re-airing content due to advertising.

If you give a shit about the content creators, then you should be willing to pay for content.

Or be willing to watch advertising on content. Which is why that model is picking up.

Judging by internet reactions people do everything they can to avoid both things (paying for content, being willing to be served ads on content.)

Something has to give, and what is probably going to give is the amount of content actually being created.. which is already happening. Not exactly good for content creators either.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Disney is losing billions on Disney+. Netflix is profitable but the model w/ it's current pricing absolutely can't afford large residuals. Residuals occur in TV because specific $'s come in when re-airing content due to advertising.

If you give a shit about the content creators, then you should be willing to pay for content.

Or be willing to watch advertising on content. Which is why that model is picking up.

Judging by internet reactions people do everything they can to avoid both things (paying for content, being willing to be served ads on content.)
Things might be different if the dollar was worth a piss. The cost of living for most is absurd these days and cutting streaming is an easy way to save money.

Meicyn

Gold Member

I have two subscriptions. I pay for the family plans on Apple One and Youtube Premium. I was subscribed to Netflix since the Xbox 360 era, but the value proposition was no longer there for me. If I want to watch say, Star Trek Lower Decks, I buy it on iTunes.

Most people are willing to pay for things. Disney is losing billions, because they’re fucking morons. Maybe spending $25 million per episode for Falcon and the Winter Soldier is a dumb choice. For the cost of 4 episodes, Nolan made Oppenheimer.

Sorry, but you’re not going to get me to feel bad. I buy things that have value to me, and I’m not responsible for subsidizing corporations that make stupid choices.

At this point I’ve started purchasing more physical movies and tv shows. Getting tired of the monthly bills. Especially, when I don’t care for 80-90% of the content. For those that don’t want to leave digital only then your best bet is to just keep subscribing for 1-2 months out of the year and binge all that your interested in.

IntentionalPun

Things might be different if the dollar was worth a piss. The cost of living for most is absurd these days and cutting streaming is an easy way to save money.
If people truly can't afford shit, that's one thing.

But I know loads of people who can and still pirate, while claiming to be in support of the Hollywood strikes lol

That's the kind of thing that grinds me gears.

Either way, something is going to have to give.. which is why we see big loser MAX removing content to sell off to those "Free with ads" services.

As it stands Netflix has a monopoly as far as profiting goes but that's largely based on growth models they could get wrong.

It's all pretty sketchy of a situation.

IntentionalPun

I have two subscriptions. I pay for the family plans on Apple One and Youtube Premium. I was subscribed to Netflix since the Xbox 360 era, but the value proposition was no longer there for me. If I want to watch say, Star Trek Lower Decks, I buy it on iTunes.

Most people are willing to pay for things. Disney is losing billions, because they’re fucking morons. Maybe spending $25 million per episode for Falcon and the Winter Soldier is a dumb choice. For the cost of 4 episodes, Nolan made Oppenheimer.

Sorry, but you’re not going to get me to feel bad. I buy things that have value to me, and I’m not responsible for subsidizing corporations that make stupid choices.
There is nothing to feel bad about if you don't find value in something so stop paying for it.

ssringo

Oh noes.

Guess I'll continue using HBO Max which comes with my phone plan and has vastly superior content.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Introductory pricing or permanent? You have to rent a box from them? First box free but you have to pay if you want one for other TVs? Don't worry you can pay just a little bit extra for DVR capability and skip the commercials. Of course you will need to rent a DVR from them as well. But if you go for the triple play bundle with landline phone service you can save some money. You'll probably want to rent a cable modem with voice capability though. Might as well add the mesh wifi as well, just a small rental charge.
Seriously cable service is the absolute worst, my mother in law was paying $270 a month for landline phone/internet/TV service.
Thankfully I live in an area that has broadband competition and no laws against municipal ISPs. Turns out, that does wonders in keeping these fuckers in line. No modem or set-top box rental fees, high speeds, and comparatively low prices. They do still try to jack people around by bundling land lines (and now, cell phones) that are outrageously expensive - but no sales person I've talked to has ever been overtly pushy about those.

Sonik

Thanks to all the fucking retards that not only didn't cancel but also bought subscriptions when they were kicked out of password sharing this is now an industry standard.

Btw who THE FUCK are all these people using Disney+? They haven't made a really good show maybe ever and their latest output is fucking awful. Not to mention they only have Star Wars and Marvel shit. I just don't get it

Cyberpunkd

I have everything under the sun via a bundle deal with Canal+ for 34.99€ (Canal+, Netflix, Disney, HBO, Paramount, Apple+), so I’m good.
The moment they try to raise it - LOL, get fucked.

Pejo

I'm betting this is panic mode because the service isn't making them (enough?) money.

I just cut the last of my streaming services last month (Discovery+), won't be going back to any of them. You can get free shit on most smart tvs like Tubi and whatever other garbage they're currently peddling to see movies that were made back when they were allowed to be entertainment instead of thinly veiled messaging. Also I have Prime due to the free shipping, so I guess I have access to Amazon's services, which has a lot of content both new and old.

I really want to see Disney come face to face with a total reckoning of bad management and content for the past 10 years. This only doubles my desire to see it happen.

Quasicat

Time to switch the Plex server back on.
I use PlayOn to get content to my Plex server…I wonder how this will work since I have to log into PlayOn which may be considered password sharing.
I just upgraded my Plex server to an M2 Mac Mini, so I’m good for a long time.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
If people truly can't afford shit, that's one thing.

But I know loads of people who can and still pirate, while claiming to be in support of the Hollywood strikes lol

That's the kind of thing that grinds me gears.

Either way, something is going to have to give.. which is why we see big loser MAX removing content to sell off to those "Free with ads" services.

As it stands Netflix has a monopoly as far as profiting goes but that's largely based on growth models they could get wrong.

It's all pretty sketchy of a situation.
I have a hard time feeling sorry for giant cooperations worth billions. I saw something the other day that showed that Americans credit card debt hit 1 trillion dollars. If the current model isn't enough for these giant companies to keep raking in huge profits everywhere it'll just come down on the consumers. Which it has. I'm not going to pay more and more just so some CEO can get his multi million dollar bonus.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I have Disney+ and Hulu paying a year in advance to get the savings. When it's up for renewal, I'll keep Hulu and dump Disney+.
I can't imagine the quality of their shows will get any better and the backlog of IP isn't as compelling as I thought it would be when I first signed up.

They're going to merge sooner or later.

ElRenoRaven

These companies are really about to make me quit using streaming all together. I cut the cord from cable to save money. Now I spend about 100 dollars a month between Disney, Hulu, ESPN package, Starz, Paramount plus, peacock, max, & starz. Only reason that's still a hair cheaper is that I don't need a fucking DVR/boxes for all my tvs.. We've already dropped Netflix for their anti sharing bullshit.

It's about to be cheaper to go back to fucking cable at this rate.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I don't watch Disney+ all that much but I've had it for $80 annual. If they're gonna change that, I'm out. $25 a month for Disney and Hulu is crazy haha.

Stitch

Gold Member
Btw who THE FUCK are all these people using Disney+? They haven't made a really good show maybe ever and their latest output is fucking awful. Not to mention they only have Star Wars and Marvel shit. I just don't get it
Outside of the US they have way more content like stuff from Hulu, FOX, Buena Vista,... also not just PG-13 content.
Recently they added Natural Born Killers lol

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
The newly christened media noose tightens ever further. Capitalism will have its infinite growth. It will have your money. If you want your media you will have to pay for it. More and more. Money money.

Remember when you could turn on the TV at noon on a Sunday in October and catch something as simple a football game with relative ease and no extortionate pricing? I remember. They will keep tightening that noose tighter and tighter until they find the limit.

And yet economists gaze in wonder at people living paycheck to paycheck and doctors wonder why suicides are up and depression is rampant. I wonder why that is. I wonder why.......:pie_thinking:

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
I am at 89€ a year now which i share with my brother.
If this becomes more expensive and we cant share anymore, i will have to consider if i want to continue paying for no added value.

Last edited:
Top Bottom