• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Getting Nervous About Brie Larson(The Marvels), May Push Movie Back

Nydius

As for Disney? I couldn't be happier that they've been struggling, and releasing bomb after bomb this year. They absolutely deserve their failure. Lucasfilm/Disney ruined Star Wars, they've ruined Marvel, they remaking inferior and insulting versions of beloved Disney Classics, and now it's finally all blowing up in their face. We live in a time now where people can easily entertain themselves on the internet for free. Going to the theater is much less appealing these days than it used to be. Hollywood better clue in quick that they need us, but we don't need them, and they're becoming more and more irrelevant by the year. They can't afford to keep serving us shit on a silver spoon anymore.

Pretty much my thoughts as well.

I can't even say I have "Marvel Fatigue" -- I have bad writing fatigue, and modern Disney is loaded with bad writing. Since Endgame, I've enjoyed the Spider-Man movies, Guardians 3, and that's been about it. I can't think of the last Marvel TV show I watched (Hawkeye, I think) because very few of them have appealed to me. I'm not interested in The Marvels, or anything else they have coming in the future phases. I can make the exact same claim about Star Wars. The last Star Wars TV show I watched was Andor. I don't give a damn about the newest season of Mandalorian, don't care about Ahsoka, or any other project they have in the pipeline, movie or TV.

Between bad writing, poor planning, and oversaturation, Disney has made me utterly indifferent to Star Wars and Marvel. I was a Star Wars fan for almost my entire life, now I'm just completely and totally disinterested (ditto the MCU, just in a shorter time span). That's worse than hating it because hating at least means I still have some emotional connection to it. I have simply reached a point where I don't give a shit anymore -- and that's entirely thanks to Disney's mismanagement and their politically-driven writers.

Also never going to forgive them to what they did to Willow but since they ran that into the ground in a single season at least I don't have to worry about them ruining it further.

Last edited:

Sybrix

It's not even just the movies, the TV shows stink.

There are so many and the majority are crap and would be cancelled in a heartbeat if they didnt have the Marvel name stuck to them.

WandaVision and Loki were good, sort of. The rest were mediocre crap.

These along with the recent turd movies from Marvel over the last 3 years has really saturated the MCU.

Disney should refocus on making one movie a year if that.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
The problems are really boiling down to the scripts. It is like what happened to Doctor Who.

Either they are revising the scripts too much during filming or the scripts are not that good.
They just are not good. They have a plan.....they just aren't good.

Rayderism

I think Disney should be more worried about the (long overdue) backlash against woke bullshit. That is what's hurting them most right now.

MeI573o.jpg

They should rename the movie. "Brie Larson's Marvels."

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I don’t think there’s marvel fatigue as people are still racing towards those movies. I can’t wait for black Adam 2, Deadpool 3, Captain America etc.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Mediocre movie fatigue... However, Guardians 3 was really good! Most have been mediocre since, IMO, Shang-Chi. BUT, I think Eternals was pretty good. Not as exciting as Shang-Chi, though.

Last edited:

Neon Xenon

There's nothing about The Marvels (after either trailer) that I find appealing or would make me want to go check out the movie. That's also due to some of Marvel's recent efforts in both TV and Film, and not looking to go see any recent movies, in general. Guardians 3, I want to watch, but after I see 1 and 2 first.

As easy of a target Brie Larson is (she really hasn't done herself many favors like with that "40-year old white dudes" comment from a while back), she wouldn't be the sole reason to blame if this movie fails in some fashion. Little early to point fingers.

Also, that's a lame headline from that site.

The problems are really boiling down to the scripts. It is like what happened to Doctor Who.

Either they are revising the scripts too much during filming or the scripts are not that good.

I wouldn't be surprised in the least in the resulting film ends up feeling disjointed in parts or that there were too many hands getting into the script.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Yep keep pushing movies back, that will keep people interested in your brands. Didn’t like no one care about black widow because it was delayed like an entire year after they released multiple trailers for it?

AmuroChan

The movie is already in the can. It's not like they can make any major changes to the film. Just release it and move on to the next thing.

belmarduk

If a spectacular movie like Dial of Destiny lost money for Disney, they really don't have a chance with more Marvel drivel. People are tired of it. They need to tighten the budgets and the scripts on these films.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
They just did over $800 million with Guardians 3, so it's not like they can't make big bucks with Marvel films.

They just need less damn content, and better movies.

They just did over $800 million with Guardians 3, so it's not like they can't make big bucks with Marvel films.

They just need less damn content, and better movies.
That 800 million is just revenue, before taking things like production costs, marketing expenses, and distribution fees into account. The actual profit is nowhere near $800 million.

The thing is that Disney has painted themselves into a corner. Before the rise of streaming, if the movie bombs in the theatres, they can at least recoup back some of the loss via DVD/bluray sales and licensing. However, nowadays everything goes straight to D+ after a few months. There is viewer fatigue with all their IPs, but they cannot afford to make less content even if they claim otherwise because you need content to make people keep subscribing. It's why netflix keeps spamming shows.

SJRB

Gold Member
So nothing to do with Brie Larson, just the usual Marvel fatigue.

It's not like people go to the movies to see Brie Larson, Marvel or not. If you need a big hit after a slew of critical and box office failures and she's the main star of your upcoming movie then you're in trouble.

Last edited:

Jinzo Prime

The last Marvel movie I watched was Doctor Strange 2. The direction and scene composition was top notch, but every line of dialogue was stunningly terrible. Every line between Strange and his ex was so awkward, Chiwetel Ejiofor was wasted and superfluous to the plot, Scarlet Witch was the best character in a movie called "Doctor Strange," I stopped watching Marvel after that.

Krathoon

The last Marvel movie I watched was Doctor Strange 2. The direction and scene composition was top notch, but every line of dialogue was stunningly terrible. Every line between Strange and his ex was so awkward, Chiwetel Ejiofor was wasted and superfluous to the plot, Scarlet Witch was the best character in a movie called "Doctor Strange," I stopped watching Marvel after that.
That is what is cracking me up about them having a writer's strike. The quality of the writing has not been that good.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Unless there is a scene where she wear open shoes, there is no need to worry.
She reminds me of a perfectly paved sidewalk, where someone's name is written sloppily on the corner(her fucking feet!)

Yeah.. I hadn't watched much before that, but after watching DS1 and watching DS2... What in the fucking-fuckity-fuck did they do!?
opportunity to top the first and did nothing! Of the sort...

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
They are already promoting this film on McDonalds happy meals. Isn't this supposed to come out in NOVEMBER? Gonna be a llooooonnnggggg run. Or maybe they already yanked any Haunted Mansion stuff and there is a gap till the next happy meal promotion.

gatti-man

It’s so hard for me to understand why Disney is letting its quality fall so hard. The writing is blatantly terrible. Watch winter soldier then watch guardians 3 (the best of the new) and it’s night and day the level of quality. The new movies are low brow streaming shit and the old are fine wine by comparison. Disney used to have people that gave a shit about these movies and their scripts.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
I would like to be romantically involved with Brie Larson, and, relevantly, she once said: "For the third time, I do not hate white dudes."

Ill Be Back Jim Carrey GIF

Top Bottom