• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dino Crisis AKA Who else loves tank controls in their games? Recommend me a game with these controls.

Meted

I'm trying to replay Resident Evil 0 and can't stand the clunkyness anymore.

The tank controls, the no camera control, the 10s loading screens every time you open a door or access the inventory, the half a second hitch whenever changing perspective
Try playing one of the good tank control resident evil games like remake one and that might help

tank controls? well, Resident Evil 4 has to he the best game with tank controls, another great one would be God Hand.

Mad World on Wii also has tank controls, and it can be fun but it is not nearly on the same level as RE4 and God Hand
He asked for "good", not "GOAT" games with tank controls.

Lame joke aside, I'm really glad you listed God Hand, now there's a melee action game using tank controls that plays wonderfully into its inherent strengths and restrictions.

I'm still annoyed that Capcom has not rereleased it in some form and has not put Gene into a VS game despite him garnering lots and lots of votes.

Capcom forgets but God Hand fans always remember.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Er? No. From being stopped you can push any direction on the stick and move toward that direction rather than have to first rotate and then move forward.
The controls feels really tanky to me.

sublimit

Banned
The first 5 Tomb Raider games are some of my favorite games ever and they are a testament to the benefits of a tank control system.It's really a shame that this system wan't evolved further. The classic TR games don't have fixed camera angles like Dino Crisis or RE but if you like precise 3D platforming with a control system that really puts you in Lara's boots (meaning everything is manual no automatic,inconsistent platforming),great level designs,rewarding and exploration you should definitely try them.

Keep in mind that they have a steep learning curve (especially TR3 which is by far the hardest one) but once you get the hang of the control system and understand what the games require from you then they will become much more easier. As you progress in those games you'll feel that your skills as a player/explorer also progress and this is a very rewarding feeling.

Banned
The controls feels really tanky to me.

that's not what tank controls are.
tank controls are a way to move your character that is comparable to a Tank, hence the name tank controls.

if you press up your character will run towards the direction he is currently facing not towards the direction your camera is facing.

if you press right, your character will not move from the spot he is standing on but instead start to turn in place.

another word for these kind of controls is Subjective Controls, because the controls are entirely tied to the perspective of your character not to your perspective.

Last edited:

Belmonte

Resident Evil franchise until RE Zero
Dino Crisis 1 and 2
Onimusha 1, 2 and 3
Silent Hill series
Parasite Eve 1 and 2

I loved Fear Effect 1 and liked FE2 a lot in the PSX days. Someday I need to replay them. Give it a try. Also, Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare. Underrated games.

Fear_Effect_PS1_Gameplay1.gif

fart town usa

Gold Member
Other less known (still known, just not as much as Alone in the Dark) fixed camera + tank control games (cos plenty games are fixed camera but no tank controls, like Final Fantasy or DMC) are Deep Fear for Saturn, Vampire Hunter D and Hard Edge/T.R.A.G. for PlayStation. Fear Effect maybe?

I should do Vampire Hunter D again some time, it looks better than I thought or understood back then, although the slow pace and loading and such in the old pre-rendered background games is painful nowadays. I mean, look at this early boss fight, with blocks and everything, that's just cool.

My hero.

Vampire Hunter D on the PSX is by no means a "good" game but it really is. It looked dated as hell when it first released. It actually came out in NA a month before the PS2 released, LOL. VHD is one of my favorite PSX games, it's not broken by any means and is actually a pretty easy game once you get the hang of the controls/combat. Totally worth playing. It doesn't emulate correctly on the PS3 though, gotta play it on a PS2, PSX, or emulator.

great OST too.

As for T.R.A.G., what an awesome game that is and I'm really surprised that more people don't talk about it. The graphics are awesome and it's like a weird action/adventure/beat-em-up hybrid with tons of puzzles and multiple characters to play as (with completely different styles too). Such an awesome game.

Last edited:

PooBone

Grim Fandango remastered. It has these controls and also happens to be my favorite adventure game ever. Such a joy to spend time in Tim Schafer's version of the Land of the Dead.
grim-fandango-remastered---button-1541102277240.jpg

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
The first 5 Tomb Raider games are some of my favorite games ever and they are a testament to the benefits of a tank control system.It's really a shame that this system wan't evolved further. The classic TR games don't have fixed camera angles like Dino Crisis or RE but if you like precise 3D platforming with a control system that really puts you in Lara's boots (meaning everything is manual no automatic,inconsistent platforming),great level designs,rewarding and exploration you should definitely try them.

Keep in mind that they have a steep learning curve (especially TR3 which is by far the hardest one) but once you get the hang of the control system and understand what the games require from you then they will become much more easier. As you progress in those games you'll feel that your skills as a player/explorer also progress and this is a very rewarding feeling.

Preach. Lots of folks put it down too fast probably cuz they played it as a kid and don't know what the fuck they're doing. You need to play the tutorial in the first game to understand how the ledges and running jumps work.

sublimit

Banned
Preach. Lots of folks put it down too fast probably cuz they played it as a kid and don't know what the fuck they're doing. You need to play the tutorial in the first game to understand how the ledges and running jumps work.
Man this is sooo true. A lot of people who today look down on those games and keep reiterating all the bullshit the "journalists" from those days were saying about the classic TR games have barely played them themselves because they were too young to understand how to play properly and gave up due to "bad controls". They ultimately bought in to the (false) assumption that the games were only successful due to Lara's popularity and this is a fallacy that haunts this series in so many ways even to this day.

Last edited:

ruvikx

Banned

The first 3 games all had a mansion tutorial level (& a secret hidden within the mansion as well, I seem to remember). It was the "safe" playground to get acquainted with the very precise controls. After a while they became very intuitive.

I also remember good times shooting the flatulent butler in Tomb Raider III.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Other less known (still known, just not as much as Alone in the Dark) fixed camera + tank control games (cos plenty games are fixed camera but no tank controls, like Final Fantasy or DMC) are Deep Fear for Saturn, Vampire Hunter D and Hard Edge/T.R.A.G. for PlayStation. Fear Effect maybe?

I should do Vampire Hunter D again some time, it looks better than I thought or understood back then, although the slow pace and loading and such in the old pre-rendered background games is painful nowadays. I mean, look at this early boss fight, with blocks and everything, that's just cool.

You just made me go on Ebay and buy this shit. INCREDIBLY impressive late PS1 game.

intbal

wargarsm.jpg

Though, unless you have a Win98 PC active, I doubt you'd be able to get it running.
Maybe just watch some youtube videos instead.

Edit: Nevermind, this video: Wargasm says that the game still works on Win7. So maybe Win10 also.
And I wasn't trolling the topic. It's a tank game, yes. But it has on-foot portions, too, which also use "tank control" movement.
Also has a great soundtrack.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Tank controls were awful. Thanks god Silent Hill came to put some common sense here.
Huh? Silent Hill has the same tank controls (+ clumsy side stepping - that can't really be called strafing as it's not used in combination with backward/forward - on the L/R buttons). It just switches through various camera modes, some fixed, others behind the player, but still the same tank controls. Forward moves the character toward his direction, backward makes him back step, left or right turn to his left or right whether stationary or in wide angles if running. Same as Tomb Raider is tank controls with the camera behind Lara, or even Resident Evil 4. The Silent Hill unlockable "self view" makes it even more like Resident Evil 4 (minus the free aiming).

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Edit: wops, wrong thread. Or not, I see I've posted about this here before too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom