• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry's Best Game Graphics of 2022 - Another Great Year For State-of-the-Art Visuals!

You are right, I know. Tlou2 might even look better than part 1 in some places lol.
But it’s the same graphics but touched up and at 4k.

I don’t really want mid gen refresh. It’s not fixing anything. They can’t do too much with pro consoles this time around and I don’t want one because we still have not seen this gen used properly. Throwing more power at a problem without and innovation is a pc way of doing things… I play on a console to avoid that. If we got uc4 and rdr2 in weak ps4, we should see miracles on ps5 with way better gpu, cpu and ssd! It’s all about the devs.
As long as devs are treating it as a pc, we will get this uninspired, unoptimised crap.
And I don’t mind 30 fps but almost no gauge this gen for 30fps right. It’s all super slow and vsynced. Terrible
It's obvious after 2+ years that the industry has already taken on the PC model when it comes to console development so might as well bring on the mid gen refreshes at some point. Is your worry that if that happens they'll not put a full effort into the OG ps5/sx?

CamHostage

It's too bad RTX Racer didn't come out this year as it was supposed to, as that would have been a really interesting challenger and representation of maximizing the known and experimental tech techniques of this generation so far.

(I get what they were thinking with Portal RTX, but it is the same root game of course plus it has some inherent issues from the version that its based on to not be its best, and also I think it looks gaudy and overdone for the style and visual identity that Portal should display. Fortnite Chapter 4 gets the then/now defining differences better.)

Last edited:

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
giphy.gif

The funny thing with ray tracing is that generally speaking it isnt even that big of a difference. At best, you are getting accurate lighting, reflections and shadows, not always better.

I made some cyberpunk comparisons and plan to do the same with witcher 3. im one of the biggest graphics whores around and i cant tell the difference.

Ff9MziJWIAEYwTa

Ff9MziMX0AYO9Ur

Ff9MziKXkAEplQG

Ff9MziMWYAAKyI9

This is Psycho RT maxed out vs no RT. I mean i cant tell you which one is RT because i never bothered labeling it back when i first uploaded it on twitter.

If Portal had gotten a next gen remake, it would seriously look that good even if it didnt have RT.

Dying Light 2 pre downgrade wasnt using RT and it looked a million times better than the downgraded version with RT.

Even the Matrix demo looks stunning if you switch from hardware accelerated Lumens which is using Ray tracing to Software Lumens which doesnt use ray tracing. There is a slight drop in quality but its no different than going from high to medium in PC games. Id rather consoles target Software Lumen until midgen consoles arrive.
maxresdefault.jpg

GymWolf

giphy.gif

The funny thing with ray tracing is that generally speaking it isnt even that big of a difference. At best, you are getting accurate lighting, reflections and shadows, not always better.

I made some cyberpunk comparisons and plan to do the same with witcher 3. im one of the biggest graphics whores around and i cant tell the difference.

Ff9MziJWIAEYwTa

Ff9MziMX0AYO9Ur

Ff9MziKXkAEplQG

Ff9MziMWYAAKyI9

This is Psycho RT maxed out vs no RT. I mean i cant tell you which one is RT because i never bothered labeling it back when i first uploaded it on twitter.

If Portal had gotten a next gen remake, it would seriously look that good even if it didnt have RT.

Dying Light 2 pre downgrade wasnt using RT and it looked a million times better than the downgraded version with RT.

Even the Matrix demo looks stunning if you switch from hardware accelerated Lumens which is using Ray tracing to Software Lumens which doesnt use ray tracing. There is a slight drop in quality but its no different than going from high to medium in PC games. Id rather consoles target Software Lumen until midgen consoles arrive.
Rtx is extremely situational.

I'm buying a 4080 and i'm still probably gonna turn off rtx to get better framerate or heavy graphic mods or whatever even if i can basically max out 4k60 any rtx game on the market (with dlss of course).

Gambit2483

Here are the PlayStation games that made it in Digital Foundry’s best graphics list over the years

2022: Horizon Forbidden West
Gran Turismo 7
The Last of us Part1

2021: Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart
Returnal

2020: The last of Us Part2
Ghost of Tsushima
Demon’s Souls
Marvel’s Spider-Man Miles Morales

2019: Death Stranding

2018: God of War
Marvel’s Spider-Man
Shadow of the Colosssus

2017: Gravity Rush 2
Horizon Zero Dawn

PlayStation Studios are really some of the best in the industry in terms of technical prowess.
What about Xbox?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Here's a sad thought .. last night I played some The Order 1886. It's 30 fps and only 1080p but still looks as impressive as many of today's games. If the Order released in 2022 I think DF would've been hard pressed to not include it on their list.

What does that say about the state of graphics today?
Its actually closer to 900p in pixel count because of the letterboxing. Most of the games last gen on PS4 targeted 1080p which meant giving up 44% of the GPU to just rendering pixels where as The Order and HFW target 900p and were able to do far more with the GPU. People wonder just how they were able to fix and upgrade so many graphical features.
Here are the PlayStation games that made it in Digital Foundry’s best graphics list over the years

2022: Horizon Forbidden West
Gran Turismo 7
The Last of us Part1

2021: Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart
Returnal

2020: The last of Us Part2
Ghost of Tsushima
Demon’s Souls
Marvel’s Spider-Man Miles Morales

2019: Death Stranding

2018: God of War
Marvel’s Spider-Man
Shadow of the Colosssus

2017: Gravity Rush 2
Horizon Zero Dawn

PlayStation Studios are really some of the best in the industry in terms of technical prowess.
Days Gone and Detroit were robbed.

Days Gone especially was doing a lot of cool stuff with dynamic weather, the snow especially was just amazing how it would turn a green forest into a snow covered mountain.

massive draw distance too. no fake fog like some other games.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It's obvious after 2+ years that the industry has already taken on the PC model when it comes to console development so might as well bring on the mid gen refreshes at some point. Is your worry that if that happens they'll not put a full effort into the OG ps5/sx?
yes. They will not put in as much effort to use hardware and we will be getting more mid gen refreshes to combat that.
Also - I am just grumpy

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Here's a sad thought .. last night I played some The Order 1886. It's 30 fps and only 1080p but still looks as impressive as many of today's games. If the Order released in 2022 I think DF would've been hard pressed to not include it on their list.

What does that say about the state of graphics today?
Its actually closer to 900p in pixel count because of the letterboxing. Most of the games last gen on PS4 targeted 1080p which meant giving up 44% of the GPU to just rendering pixels where as The Order and HFW target 900p and were able to do far more with the GPU. People wonder just how they were able to fix and upgrade so many graphical features like water, interactive foliage, lighting, and character models. This is why ive always said that tflops matter. every single shader core can be used for either pushing graphical fidelity like HFW, AC Unity and Order do, or push pixels. Now we are seeing all these studios target native 4k like morons when they could be doing so much more. Starfield, Ratchet, NFS, TLOU Part 1, Demon Souls... all targeting native 4k 30 fps despite being next gen only. Just a bunch of idiots.

SlimySnake

It's too bad RTX Racer didn't come out this year as it was supposed to, as that would have been a really interesting challenger and representation of maximizing the known and experimental tech techniques of this generation so far.

(I get what they were thinking with Portal RTX, but it is the same root game of course plus it has some inherent issues from the version that its based on to not be its best, and also I think it looks gaudy and overdone for the style and visual identity that Portal should display. Fortnite Chapter 4 gets the then/now defining differences better.)

when they get to the desert level, its the closest we have come to Motorstorm 2005 CG graphics. Its a shame Sony cut Evolution Studios because im pretty sure they wouldve gotten there with the PS5 hardware. its almost 40x more powerful than the PS3 GPU after all.
Some caves and underground locations look amazing

Spoiler area
God-of-War-Ragnar-k-20221114211936.png

God-of-War-Ragnar-k-20221119023556.png

non spoiler area
God-of-War-Ragnar-k-20221111170750.png
yeah some areas look good. Two of those are in midgard which looks great. the rest of the game, not so much. its a very mediocre looking title in 2022. But then again, so are 90% of the games on that list.

Also - I am just grumpy
This attitude isnt helping anyone. ;p

Last edited:

Thebonehead

Banned
NFS, Darktide and Portal really shouldn't be there. They should be replaced (in no particular order) by The Quarry, Scorn, and Ragnarok.

I just booted up Darktide and it looks absolutely stunning. I was stopping to take in the details every few minutes which rarely happens.

I think with NFS, John played maxed at PC - Ymmv on console.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
He’s right, though.

Edit: ok, got it. He has a Sony hate boner but it’s still a valid opinion.
Gameplay > graphics, but he didn't answer the question. You don't rant about how graphics are more important when someone is asking a question specifically about graphics. He's a known Xbox fanboy on this forum and I'm sure he wanted to rant about HFW because the visuals was getting a lot of praise recently.

Zathalus

Gameplay > graphics, but he didn't answer the question. You don't rant about how graphics are more important when someone is asking a question specifically about graphics. He's a known Xbox fanboy on this forum and I'm sure he wanted to rant about HFW because the visuals was getting a lot of praise recently.
He loves to pretend he is not a mega fanboy because he "owns all the systems" but he never lets a moment go by where he tells people how he never switches his PS5 on, how it is gathering dust, he would rather wait 2 years to play a game on his Xbox, or how a Sony game is shit or overrated. I've never seen somebody so unaware of his own bias.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.

This idiot lol

i agree with him but he was asking about graphics. You don't just crash a graphics discussion by talking shit about how they don't matter and all that.
it's like showing up to a discussion about sound design in video games and proclaiming how sound design doesn't matter if the music is good. sure, but like we're talking about sound effects here

SlimySnake

I think people take issue with the obnoxious attitude more than what is being said.
The question and topic of discussion was about graphics, which is still something worth discussing. His take isn't unique nor is he special for having it but he sure seems desperate to make it look that way.
Also dont forget the fact that this dude spent years on gaf pulling shit out of his ass about the Xbox Series X performance advantage. He can say whatever he wants now, but he definitely used to care a lot about specs and graphics.

I think people need to go back and play 2018…there is definitively a significant jump in Ragnarok, although not as much as Horizon.

You can tell when look at their faces or some of the armore, especially Sindri’s character model
I was in the camp that thought GOWR didn't look that much better... until I went back and looked at 2018. We all suffer from remembering things "better" than they were. In my minds eye... the TLOU pt.1 looked like the remake version when I played it on PS3 LOL but clearly when looking at them side by side, I was dead wrong. I think GOWR looks pretty damn good and I'm surprised it didn't make the list at all... I've played Unbound, it doesn't "look" better than GOWR.

Last edited:

This idiot lol

He's just taking any opportunity to shit on PlayStation. All he wanted to do was call HFW crap in a discussion about Visuals. Which is pathetic IMO.

P.S I still have really bad memories of him leaking a DM that in theory got someone fired or in deep trouble. He doesn't care about people or their families even though he has one himself. He should know the consequences breaking an NDA would have on him and his family if he ever has one.

And for the pigeons. I'll never forgive him for that.

season 2 lol GIF

Last edited:

The difference RT makes is incredible. The visuals in that demo is something I expect the next round of consoles to achieve, or slightly surpass...

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Horizon Forbidden West and it's not even close.

Honourable mention goes to The Witcher III. Lighting in the next-gen version is probably the best I've seen.

Top Bottom