• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry's Best Game Graphics of 2022 - Another Great Year For State-of-the-Art Visuals!

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It is absolutely fucking ridiculous that they have included The Last Of Us Part 1 in this list.

I've just finished it on Ps5, and moved onto another play of Part 2, and there is little to no difference between the two games in terms of fidelity.

Digital Foundry are essentially trying to say a Ps4 level game at 60fps is state of the art.

Clown shoes.
Yes. But that doesn’t mean that all 2022 games look like tlou2 because it’s old.
We are comparing games out this year and state of the fact is that nothing still looks like tlou2

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
One of my friends called me out on this last year so I stayed strong and stayed away from 2 of the 4 Sony games i crusaded against. Still, if they had added dodge, prone and other amazing melee features from TLOU2, I wouldve gladly bought it. Same goes for GT7 which simply did not have the gameplay upgrades I expect from a numbered release. And i love GT Sports and stanned for it for years on gaf. Im willing to let my graphics criticism aside as long as the devs put in an effort in gameplay and features. In short, dont worry. You dont have to boycott these games. Just criticizing them is enough. If people just ignored games they didnt like, these forums would be a bubble of people bending over backwards praising every game. Basically what era has become.

The ND engine doesnt scale well on PC if the Uncharted ports are any indication. The PS5 was performing like a 3070 in Uncharted.

But the good thing is that it will be $40 on CDkeys which is what I think this half remakes should cost. I have no idea how Sony went from charging $40 for Ratchet and SOTC remakes to full $70 for DS and TLOU remakes. Asset flipping with some minor tweaks is NOT the same as what Capcom is doing with their RE remakes. But I digress.
You love tlou and gt sport but avoiding buying part1 and gt7 out of principle?
Wtf is going on. Get your new fav fucking games man

Stooky

And people get offended when i call that thing a lazy remake...

They literally had the tlou2 engine ready, 4k res, a couple of shadow\light settings turned up a notch or two, and here is the remake.

Oh sorry, some basic destruction that pales compared to fucking stranglehold on ps2...
If only it was that easy…. Tlou untill the remake was a ps3 game. It takes a lot more than hitting a few switches and turning up the lights a notch for it to match tlou 2.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
just look at Thor (just because you choose him) which is a side character and see how much more detailed charachter he is compared to Gerald.

Armour in The Witcher III is actually crazy detailed:

QTGNqpI.jpg

Yes, some textures show their age when inspected up close.

GymWolf

If only it was that easy…. Tlou untill the remake was a ps3 game. It takes a lot more than hitting a few switches and turning up the lights a notch for it to match tlou 2.
Dude, they had tlou2 that is basically 98%of what you see in tlou remake engine wise.

They didn't had to create nothing except the characters, and for some of them they already had the models from tlou2.

It was a lazy af remake at premium price.

Stooky

Dude, they had tlou2 that is basically 98%of what you see in tlou remake engine wise.

They didn't had to create nothing except the characters, and for some of them they already had the models from tlou2.

It was a lazy af remake at premium price.
Wtf are you talking about?……they didn’t have to create nothing except for characters? What from tlou2 exist in tlou other than some character models? Tess bill had to get remade. I guess it all Magically made its self.

GymWolf

Wtf are you talking about?……they didn’t have to create nothing except for characters? What from tlou2 exist in tlou other than some character models? Tess bill had to get remade. I guess it all Magically made its self.
I said except some characters.

The majority of other assets was already done in tlou2, unless you are so naive to think that they remake every single asset even if the game looks 98% identical to tlou2 other than better res and some upgraded lights and shadows.

It's not like they moved from a city to a desert, the location is always a post apocalyptic city scenario dude, they can re-use the majority of the assets.

Last edited:

Thebonehead

Banned
We all have things we cling to for our own validation.

I think I said before I waited for a 4090FE, partly because of the size, but mainly in part due to the official resellers bumping the prices up from official MSRP.

Now I'm fortunate that I wouldn't even notice the price differential, but the shops profiteering pissed me off, so I waited until they came in at stock on the official store.

Remasters are subjective of course. From my perspective Sony are trying to wring every cent they can out of you, a bit like mechanically reclaimed meat, so I can understand waiting for it to go on deep discount before jumping in. TLOU 1 is probably one of my favourite ever games, but I sure as shit ain't gonna pay them full price, because I feel they're just trying to rip me off. I will wait for a deep discount, or even the PC version to drop before jumping back in.

Stooky

I said except some characters.

The majority of other assets was already done in tlou2, unless you are so naive to think that they remake every single asset even if the game looks 98% identical to tlou2 other than better res and some upgraded lights and shadows.

It's not like they moved from a city to a desert, the location is always a post apocalyptic city scenario dude, they can re-use the majority of the assets
I really wish it worked like that. Keep dreaming buddy

Last edited:

Killer8

Really confusing that God of War Ragnarok is not at least a runner up. Shit like Need for Speed makes the list, which is basically PS4 quality, and virtually everything on the list is cross-gen - yet Ragnarok is branded as too PS4-like? The fuck outta here.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Really confusing that God of War Ragnarok is not at least a runner up. Shit like Need for Speed makes the list, which is basically PS4 quality, and virtually everything on the list is cross-gen - yet Ragnarok is branded as too PS4-like? The fuck outta here.
I’m thinking they didn’t want to have too many of one brand’s games. Just a bunch.

Man, it's just sad that this year we didn't get a single Sony true PS5 game. 2020 we got Demon's Souls and last year we got Rift Apart. TLoUPI barely surpasses PII and as good as FW looks I would expect much more from GG if it were a PS5 game. To make things worst, we didn't even got a showcase this year so we have nothing substantial to look forward to next year other than Spidey 2, which btw we didn't even got a new look from the game in over a year. Sony went from my favorite gaming company to just like any other in just a few years.

I don't even count MS because after years and years of disappointment I just never expected anything out of them. Hopefully Forza will deliver next year.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Yup I said this same thing. You know the crazies would've been out claiming that John and the crew are Sony Foundry LOL

You mean kinda like the crazies frothing about not having Ragnarok in the top 10 in this thread ? :messenger_neutral:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You mean kinda like the crazies frothing about not having Ragnarok in the top 10 in this thread ? :messenger_neutral:
You mean to tell me that NFS looks better than Ragnarok? Even the most blind and ardent fanboys know that is utter bullocks deep down in their pussified guts. TW3, while it's better than 2015, the textures are glaringly inconsistent and well, 2015 in too many spots.

At least GT7 got a mention, which must pain some.

Last edited:

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
But there are upgrades over the PS4 version, lighting, textures, shadows, reflections, draw distance, tessellation and particle effects are all upgraded over the PS4 version. And the PS4 version looks also better than 2018 so it looked better than the previous game with all the extra upgrades that i mentioned on PS5. They don't give SM enough credit for how good the PS4 version looks and how much better it looks compared to 2018. They put GT7 and TLOU part 1 in there which has the same type of upgrades as GOW:R compared to there last gen releases.

Some of you need to be reminded how GOW 2018 looked, because you guys need to take off the nostalgia glasses
All on PS5!
God-of-War-20220524224212.png

God-of-War-20220521224753.png

compared to
God-of-War-Ragnar-k-20221112013628.png

God-of-War-Ragnar-k-20221117020020.png

Now tell me how is this not a massive upgrade over the previous game.

Man Horizon FW blows this away. I agree with DF on this one it's a nice PS4 game but that's it.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
You mean to tell me that NFS looks better than Ragnarok? Even the most blind and ardent fanboys know that is utter bullocks deep down in their pussified guts.

At least GT7 got a mention, which must pain some.

To me ? No. But John, the guy curating the list, had been praising the game since it came out on his Twitter for it materials and car detail.

It's not surprising that he had it in his top 10.

And he did address Ragnarok as well

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
To me ? No. But John, the guy curating the list, had been praising the game since it came out on his Twitter for it materials and car detail.

It's not surprising that he had it in his top 10.

And he did address Ragnarok as well

Never trust a man who wears glasses to judge IQ. 🤭

Last edited:

clampzyn

Man Horizon FW blows this away. I agree with DF on this one it's a nice PS4 game but that's it.
I agree with John, GoW Ragnarok looks great on ps5 but it doesn't look miles better than its ps4 version specially during gameplay. I see Plague Tale Requiem as the early next-gen game that definitely looks next-gen but its on the early stage though, or probably because its not a triple A game. We'll have to wait what ps5/xbsx has to offer from the triple A devs.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I said I love TLOU2 for the combat none of which is in the remake. I wanted dodge, prone, enhanced melee, and abilities. Abby's momentum abilities saved the game for me. Wouldve loved to do that with Joel. The new enemies types in TLOU2 are also MIA. And those wall breaking bloaters? not in the game. They didnt change a single encounter. Why couldnt the gymnasium bloater now chase you around the entire school breaking through? PS5 cant render more than two rooms at once?

I just cant justify paying $70 for an asset flip. Will wait for it to hit $40 but might as well wait for the PC release since they refuse to put in a proper 40 fps mode. Cant even implement dynamic res scaling or add an 1800p 40 fps mode.

GT7 is just GT Sports with a campaign. I loved GT Sports because it revolutionized the console online racing scene. Everyone raced like real life drivers avoiding collisions and letting others pass if they accidently bumped into them. It was glorious. But nothing I saw in GT7 shows a big improvement over it. Online is mostly the same. The campaign is basically the same as what we got in the PS3 and PS2 games. I just dont see any reason to buy it. Ive been waiting for destruction, Drivcelub caliber weather and fucking 3D trees for 15 years now and I can no longer sanction this buffoonery.

SlimySnake

Man, it's just sad that this year we didn't get a single Sony true PS5 game. 2020 we got Demon's Souls and last year we got Rift Apart. TLoUPI barely surpasses PII and as good as FW looks I would expect much more from GG if it were a PS5 game. To make things worst, we didn't even got a showcase this year so we have nothing substantial to look forward to next year other than Spidey 2, which btw we didn't even got a new look from the game in over a year. Sony went from my favorite gaming company to just like any other in just a few years.

I don't even count MS because after years and years of disappointment I just never expected anything out of them. Hopefully Forza will deliver next year.
Just quoting this post to let everyone know that this is not my alt.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I said I love TLOU2 for the combat none of which is in the remake. I wanted dodge, prone, enhanced melee, and abilities. Abby's momentum abilities saved the game for me. Wouldve loved to do that with Joel. The new enemies types in TLOU2 are also MIA. And those wall breaking bloaters? not in the game. They didnt change a single encounter. Why couldnt the gymnasium bloater now chase you around the entire school breaking through? PS5 cant render more than two rooms at once?

I just cant justify paying $70 for an asset flip. Will wait for it to hit $40 but might as well wait for the PC release since they refuse to put in a proper 40 fps mode. Cant even implement dynamic res scaling or add an 1800p 40 fps mode.

GT7 is just GT Sports with a campaign. I loved GT Sports because it revolutionized the console online racing scene. Everyone raced like real life drivers avoiding collisions and letting others pass if they accidently bumped into them. It was glorious. But nothing I saw in GT7 shows a big improvement over it. Online is mostly the same. The campaign is basically the same as what we got in the PS3 and PS2 games. I just dont see any reason to buy it. Ive been waiting for destruction, Drivcelub caliber weather and fucking 3D trees for 15 years now and I can no longer sanction this buffoonery.
I will agree that its a shame they did not FULLY really remade part1. Like resident evil 2 you know.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Man some of you don't read my posts fully do you. Ofcourse HFW looks better, im saying that shit since i entered the thread. What im tryna say is that there are games in that list that also look like a PS4 game and they still put them in.
I agree with John, GoW Ragnarok looks great on ps5 but it doesn't look miles better than its ps4 version specially during gameplay. I see Plague Tale Requiem as the early next-gen game that definitely looks next-gen but its on the early stage though, or probably because its not a triple A game. We'll have to wait what ps5/xbsx has to offer from the triple A devs.

So same as TLOU1, NFS and GT7?

SlimySnake

Man some of you don't read my posts fully do you. Ofcourse HFW looks better, im saying that shit since i entered the thread. What im tryna say is that there are games in that list that also look like a PS4 game and they still put them in.

So same as TLOU1, NFS and GT7?
Yeah, by their logic, TLOU1, NFS, Callisto and GT7 shouldnt be included either.

I think they really wanted Portal on there along with anything that had ray tracing to appease Alex and something had to give. GOW was an easy choice. Callisto at 2 is hilarious. Plague's Tale I can understand but Callisto? I was going by the footage they chose to showcase these games and only HFW, Plague's Tale and NFS had some gorgeous looking clips. But both plague's tale and NFS looked fairly ordinary under different lighting conditions. Everything else they chose to showcase these games in the best light looked rather mediocre.

EDIT: They put fortnite in there too lmao.

Last edited:

damidu

im actually confused whats john seeing in nfs graphics, that im not seeing.
played 10 hours of it on gamepass. its as run of the mill arcade racing graphics as it gets, definitely couple notches below forza horizon for example. around latest grid game level.

nothing in the game looks photo realistic like he claims as well.

Last edited:

Erebus

GT7 certainly deserves the mention. The track environments surely may look bland at times but the quality of the car models in combination with the lighting and weather effects make up for a spectacular view even during actual gameplay.

GymWolf

Yeah, by their logic, TLOU1, NFS, Callisto and GT7 shouldnt be included either.

I think they really wanted Portal on there along with anything that had ray tracing to appease Alex and something had to give. GOW was an easy choice. Callisto at 2 is hilarious. Plague's Tale I can understand but Callisto? I was going by the footage they chose to showcase these games and only HFW, Plague's Tale and NFS had some gorgeous looking clips. But both plague's tale and NFS looked fairly ordinary under different lighting conditions. Everything else they chose to showcase these games in the best light looked rather mediocre.

EDIT: They put fortnite in there too lmao.
Well they upgraded the game to ue 5.1 with lumen and nanite so even if it still look like absolute ass they have to list this shit for the tech alone.

Buffonery at his best.

Like not putting too many sony games on the list because you make some people mad...who gives a flying fuck if people get mad? It's your fucking job to be unbiased and to chose the 10 best looking games.

tommib

GT7 certainly deserves the mention. The track environments surely may look bland at times but the quality of the car models in combination with the lighting and weather effects make up for a spectacular view even during actual gameplay.
Plus the ray-tracing technology on PS5 which is absolutely adorable on car close-ups and replays when you walk around the cars in replay/scapes.

From our own resident real-time rendering artists:
GT7 PS5 Photomode

q6AM5TJ.jpg
1672209732-gran-turismo-tm-7-20221227115308.jpg

Last edited:
I think you have to play a game on your own set up to give an opinion, as You Tube or Twitch never do it justice (obviously).

I have a list, though the games aren't all from 2022, but are more about the last few years.

My top 5 on ps5 (in no particular order);

The Last of Us : Part 2 (ps5 back compatibility)
Gran Turismo 7
Spiderman Miles Moralis
Demon Souls
God of War Ragnarok

My top 5 on pc (in no particular order);

Guardians of the Galaxy
Days Gone
The Division 2
Death Stranding
MW2 (campaign)

Top Bottom