• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Xbox Scorpio

Explain the Forza 6 test then

(I'm half joking...one woudn't think so normally)

Forza 6 isn't on PC. All it got was apex which was a tech demo which hasn't been touched in a bit. We have no idea how they handled their scorpio counterpart.

If you want a real comparison, you're going to need to give performance levels across a broad spectrum of games. Not just 1 title developed by microsoft given to df solely for this reveal where the full version isn't even available. Not saying it's impossible but you need to have the final hardware on hand vs a similar pc setup in that time for comparisons to be thrown around as grounded.

shanew21

So Microsoft have created a console more powerful than the Xbox One, goody.

However, it won't have any exclusive games as the games are cross platform to the One and the PC. A gaming PC is likely more powerful and offers more flexibility in terms of mods and cheating etc etc.

So you buy a Scorpio to play the next Halo or Gears or Forza (tired, unoriginal IP, churned out every couple years) with some extra frames and better AA...

...what am I missing here?...

Not everyone is a PC gamer. That's what you're missing here.

People will buy Scorpio to play those games AND multiplats on the best console.

Chobel

Are you at all surprised? At least they are wearing it on their sleeve this time around, and can do so cause they do have a strong system they can finally stand behind.

yhpdAL.gif

Zedox

I think that MS may reveal the actual box and "THE SECRET SAUCE THAT DON'T EXIST" during their spring event. It would make sense for Panos to show it off.

In the end all of this CPU talk is meaningless. All Scorpio games must run on Xbox One, and therefore all game logic will be coded to a 1.6ghz jaguar. Scorpio can make games prettier, but not add logic and complexity.

Ok, the extra CPU isnt meaningless. It could be the difference in 60 vs 30fps any some fancy particle effects, but I mean its not making the game logic itself deeper.

Thats one of the reasons I really hate the concept of upgradeable consoles. You can make them prettier, but not add to the game logic.

Not everyone is a PC gamer. That's what you're missing here.

People will buy Scorpio to play those games AND multiplats on the best console.

Bingo. The point is MS targeted running 900p and higher Xbox one games at 4K. The forza example was shown to prove this and the fact they had so much overhead available bodes very well for many games actually hitting 4K native.

Space_nut

Sounds good. I wonder what kind of differences it will realistically translate to with third party titles? Sub 4K titles being native 4K, higher frame rates etc.

It'll be all those you listed plus assets being largely more detailed as well. 16xAF with higher LOD models will make games look better.

If you go see the Forza Scorpio thread screenshot, the Scorpio is that. Pro would be the Xbox One screenshot just rendered at 4k or checkboard with some effects improved but assets being the same because of the same amount of ram and not too fast bandwidth.

But you can see some games just being the same because they don't push either consoles like the NBA Jam remake that's coming out. I can see that being 4K 60FPS on both due to it's simplicity of rendering

In the end all of this CPU talk is meaningless. All Scorpio games must run on Xbox One, and therefore all game logic will be coded to a 1.6ghz jaguar. Scorpio can make games prettier, but not add logic and complexity.

Ok, the extra CPU isnt meaningless. It could be the difference in 60 vs 30fps any some fancy particle effects, but I mean its not making the game logic itself deeper.

Thats one of the reasons I really hate the concept of upgradeable consoles. You can make them prettier, but not add to the game logic.

Prettier and increased performance is okay with me.

onanie

Are you at all surprised? At least they are wearing it on their sleeve this time around, and can do so cause they do have a strong system they can finally stand behind.

Sony probably wished that somehow Richard could find all that secret sauce in their machines that he found in the xbone.

anothertech

I think that MS may reveal the actual box and "THE SECRET SAUCE THAT DON'T EXIST" during their spring event. It would make sense for Panos to show it off.
So real talk - is there anyone that actually thinks there is a 'secret secret sauce' this time around? After the in depth we got today?

I mean, DF went through everything here. They customized everything from the Jaguar cores to the audio processors, I honestly don't see how they are sneaking anything more past this reveal tbh.

All we really have left to see is the price. I guess if they price it at $299 that could be some kind of secret sauce lol. And about as likely as unlimited cloud power in 2017.

Sony probably wished that somehow Richard could find all that secret sauce in their machines that he found in the xbone.

I mean they would have if Sony also gave them the exclusive reveal on the specs, but Sony is stupid and decided to do a really bad event and reveal it themselves.

Adam_802

And to think that Scalebound could've taken advantage of all that power.

Ah Scalebound, the game everyone said looked like garbage until it got cancelled, then once it got cancelled it all of a sudden became xbox's only hope apparently, LOL SMH.

I mean they would have if Sony also gave them the exclusive reveal on the specs, but Sony is stupid and decided to do a really bad event and reveal it themselves.

I suppose that's one of the woes of being the first-mover. I'm sure they'd probably tackle that differently with the benefit of hindsight. Alas.

So real talk - is there anyone that actually thinks there is a 'secret secret sauce' this time around? After the in depth we got today?

I mean, DF went through everything here. They customized everything from the Jaguar cores to the audio processors, I honestly don't see how they are sneaking anything more past this reveal tbh.

All we really have left to see is the price. I guess if they price it at $299 that could be some kind of secret sauce lol. And about as likely as unlimited cloud power in 2017.

You could argue that the "sauce" on the 360 was how well they implemented the achievements and online functionality into the system UI, which was something that hadn't been done before. What if the "sauce" on Scorpio is just on the software level. And the games of course. Your right, they showed all the sauce in the hardware, unless its great tools for developers to take advantage of said sauce.

A single game isn't representative. Forza 6 is known to have some problems on PC.
So of course there might be the odd one out, but generally his PC should perform a little better.

What do you base this on? It's pretty silly to make a definitive statement like that when we haven't tested Scorpio vs that setup, especially since DF showed that Scorpio had no problem running Forza Apex at ultra, 4K resolution but 1070 did.

What do you base this on? It's pretty silly to make a definitive statement like that when we haven't tested Scorpio vs that setup, especially since DF showed that Scorpio had no problem running Forza Apex at ultra, 4K resolution but 1070 did.

DF showed none of that though. What we have here is Microsoft's own words followed by DF's own tests on a different game.

anothertech

Ah Scalebound, the game everyone said looked like garbage until it got cancelled, then once it got cancelled it all of a sudden became xbox's only hope apparently, LOL SMH.
Also funny how anyone looking forward to one of the best looking exclusive new ip's in xbox upcoming library is suddenly patronized for having ultierior motives for posting about it. LOL SMH.

It would be nice for Rockstar to let us know at least by E3 what they are doing with RDR2 for the Scorpio - as far as enhancements, etc.

It's the only reason I would buy one.

bill0527

So Microsoft have created a console more powerful than the Xbox One, goody.

However, it won't have any exclusive games as the games are cross platform to the One and the PC. A gaming PC is likely more powerful and offers more flexibility in terms of mods and cheating etc etc.

So you buy a Scorpio to play the next Halo or Gears or Forza (tired, unoriginal IP, churned out every couple years) with some extra frames and better AA...

...what am I missing here?...

You're missing Red Dead 2 this fall, which is more than enough for me. I plan on playing it on the most powerful console sitting on the shelf. It ain't coming to PC (yet)

Lady Gaia

"More to Scorpio than just numbers" wonder what he means?

He's 100% correct that no numeric representation of anything is an adequate description. Megapixels aren't a true measure of the quality of a camera. Number of stars or a percentage score are a poor substitute for a full review of a movie or a game. Dollar value doesn't tell you whether you'd enjoy living in a particular home. Likewise, computational throughput and bandwidth don't tell the full story about a game console.

Of course the implication is that beyond the numbers there's a story that favors the Scorpio, which is an age-old gambit to get your imagination working. In practice, the raw numbers can make a system look better or worse relative to its competition than a more complete assessment would indicate.

the gameplay looked boring as fuck but the game looked amazing.

but the fact that it was a rare japanese title and exclusive and that they fucked platinum with the cancellation that really made news.

The DF videos were a lot of "MS said this, MS said that, MS said". Richard is coming across as a total shill; I guess it'd have to be as its exclusive access.

Yarbskoo

Man, the fact that they're pushing 4K so hard when most games don't even come close to 60fps is really depressing.

Not entirely unexpected, but still.

The DF videos were a lot of "MS said this, MS said that, MS said". Richard is coming across as a total shill; I guess it'd have to be as its exclusive access.

Microsoft are the only ones who have the console. Of course all the information is going to come from them, what did you expect?

WinFonda

my immediate take away is that it's a sizeable jump from Xbone, but only a modest jump over Pro - about what you'd expect given the launch date differences

RowdyReverb

Is game logic that big of an issue in modern games? Besides, it's not like games can't have simple CPU-driven improvements for Scorpio specifically. Things like denser NPC crowds or more sophisticated physics effects that are exclusive to Scorpio are far from impossible.

Man, the fact that they're pushing 4K so hard when most games don't even come close to 60fps is really depressing.

Not entirely unexpected, but still.

The good thing is developers are free to choose where to apply the grunt of the console, as 4K native isn't mandatory. So If a game struggles to hit 60fps and 4K native and the developers prefer 60fps, they can target that if they want.

The likes of Forza will be a great showcase for 4K native and 60fps though I'm sure! They're hitting that with a 2 day port with 4K assets and plenty of power to spare for further enhancements.

Top Bottom