• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] Dead Space Remake This Is What A Best-In-Class Remake Looks Like

Draugoth

Gold Member

In the first of two pieces of Dead Space remake coverage from Digital Foundry, John Linneman compares the 2023 release on PS5 against the 2008 original on PS3. There's plenty to praise in what feels like a best-in-class remake, with Frostbite engine innovations and overhauled game design, yet the launch version of the game is not without its flaws. 00:02 - Introduction 01:50 - Remaking Dead Space - what's new? 05:48 - Level design comparison 08:08 - Visual enhancements 10:38 - How is the sound? 12:33 - The lighting 13:36 - Why is the image quality so poor? 16:16 - Dead Space 2008 vs 2023 - hour one 23:39 - Wrapping up

Aaron Olive

38f.gif

Now fix those bugs…

Truly a great game, with the worst image quality I've ever seen.

VRS seems bad all around. Hiding stuff in shadows is bad especially when increases the temptation to crush the whole image. I'm playing on an OLED and it's just too dark, but raising the brightness brings all of these issues to the surface.

I'd rather the game run at 1080p.

Last edited:

Ok John so if VRS is what's destroying IQ why do you think the problems will be solved on PS5 if they're not going to remove VRS there too?

I seriously have issues with John's takes. He glosses over huge issues often and ignores the elephant in the room so he can get back to gushing praise about the remake. He's part of a tech channel though so he should know logically that the devs proposed solutions are not adding up here ..on consoles at least.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Still too expensive and not as good tech wise as demos souls or tlou part 1.
Goal of graphical remake is graphics, hence high expectations.

But to give them a break - they did changed the game a bit and added some stuff. So it's not just graphics.
Tlou part1 would benefit greatly from overall modernization like that and not only graphics.

Banned
That's what the dev told John.

I'm sorry but VRS so far just sucks. In every game I saw it, it just degraded image quality which is something that can be done with simple resolution scaling.

in every other coverage so far it sounded like the VRS implementation is the same software based one in all versions, so this surprised me to see here.

I played it on Xbox a bit (still finishing Hifi Rush first before going deeper into Dead Space) and found the vrs talk a little overblown after looking at the game in person. now i get why.

Last edited:

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
I cannot use a controller on the pc version currently.

Environment:
Windows 10
Xbox wireless controller adapter (USB)
Xbox Core Elite Controller
Dead Space

The first 10 minutes look absolutely gorgeous maxed out in 4k etc etc....but I was using a media keyboard since my controller didn't work.

Gonna give it another go this weekend, hopefully they get the issues ironed out soon.

Banned
I cannot use a controller on the pc version currently.

Environment:
Windows 10
Xbox wireless controller adapter (USB)
Xbox Core Elite Controller
Dead Space

The first 10 minutes look absolutely gorgeous maxed out in 4k etc etc....but I was using a media keyboard since my controller didn't work.

Gonna give it another go this weekend, hopefully they get the issues ironed out soon.

unplug your adapter and plug it into a different USB.

Windows 10 on multiple occasions did this to me where my controller wasn't fully recognised on one USB port but worked flawlessly on the other.

and then a day later it refused to work on that port and only worked on the first one again...

weirs stuff. didn't happen in a while for me tho, but this was something that fixed controller issues for me in the past

if nothing works then maybe add the game to Steam and use Steam's controller configuration for it.

also, does your PC have Bluetooth? because you could also connect your elite that way as an alternative

Some PS2 and older games would be nice to have in more than upscaled glory, but PS360 era games are imho generally looking good enough to have fun with the original visuals.
The difference old to remake is obviously there and quite huge, and at the same time so close it is a pity the dev team could not spent their talent on something actually new.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Really best in class? Love how some games somehow get a pass for big problems and others get the dogged on for small bullshit.
What is his criteria? This doesn’t look as good as demon souls. Its next gen only and looks worse than most last gen games. Is he talking about gameplay? If so, is it as good as re2make?

Didn’t he spend 50 fucking minutes on tlou part 1 just months ago? Was it early that easy to top his previous best in class?

Banned
is VRS even worth it? with DRS and superior upscaling tech why even use it , will make the img quality worse

VRS is literally just DRS but used for specific parts lf the image only.

Tier 2 VRS as seen in the Xbox version can target specific polygons of specific assets for example.
so instead of scaling down the whole image, in a perfect implementation it would literally only scale down the things that would look almost identical in full res and in the scaled down res.

so maybe one part of a table is in full, almost pitch black shadow. a VRS Tier 2 implementation can then render that side of the table at quarter res and you wouldn't even notice it.

but many games so far indeed had some issues with VRS, where it's too obvious.

Last edited:

GymWolf

What is his criteria? This doesn’t look as good as demon souls. Its next gen only and looks worse than most last gen games. Is he talking about gameplay? If so, is it as good as re2make?

Didn’t he spend 50 fucking minutes on tlou part 1 just months ago? Was it early that easy to top his previous best in class?
Give the dude some slack, bipolarism is nothing to joke about.
I mean, there's no way this wasn't at some point in development for last gen.
I mean, does that change my point?

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
so the VRS is different between Xbox and PS5?
I assume Series X uses its hardware VRS Tier 2 then?

edit, oh he shows side by sides:

screenshot_20230130_1mve9w.jpg

screenshot_20230130_1fyda5.jpg

screenshot_20230130_1rnc23.jpg

Wow, is that a bug then? you could argue the Series S looks better than PS5 here.

This is the biggest difference from hardware VRS to software ive seen. Looks like games actually pushing these next gen features are only just turning up.

Banned
Wow, is that a bug then? you could argue the Series S looks better than PS5 here.

This is the biggest difference from hardware VRS to software ive seen. Looks like games actually pushing these next gen features are only just turning up.

software based VRS can look good but it's of course harder for a dev team to make it look good instead of relying on a hardware based solution.

and I'm also pretty sure this is the first Frostbite game that uses it, so this might also be a factor here, they basically had to implement this themselves and I doubt the budget for this is as big as a full AAA title

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
software based VRS can look good but it's of course harder for a dev team to make it look good instead of relying on a hardware based solution.

and I'm also pretty sure this is the first Frostbite game that uses it, so this might also be a factor here, they basically had to implement this themselves and I doubt the budget for this is as big as a full AAA title

Yeah I wouldnt expect the Series S to ever come out with what looks like better image quality than the PS5. Hopefully it gets sorted.

Last edited:

fatmarco

In an ideal use case of VRS, you wouldn't notice it. It's whole selling point is that its an invisible performance saving technique, but here you have it in Dead Space downgrading pixels in real time, completely visible to the player, defeating the entire point of using it in the first place.

If you're going to use VRS, it should not be noticeable, full stop.

If your players can see it, use something less grotesque and horrid looking to save on performance.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Is it FFVII Remake "Door" bad?
Did you watch the video?
That's not just YouTube compression, it actually Looks like that...at times
Probably a bit better but you get the idea, it can look like bad compression like it's being streamed.

saintjules

Did you watch the video?
That's not just YouTube compression, it actually Looks like that...at times
Probably a bit better but you get the idea, it can look like bad compression like it's being streamed.

I didn't because I'm at work, hence the question.

• Strength
Reactions: TGO
Top Bottom