• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DidYouKnowGaming? - Valve Developer Talks Portal 3

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

In this video, Did You Know Gaming takes a look at some behind the scenes secrets from the Portal series, covering tidbits about Wheatley and Cave Johnson, unused lore, an unlikely inspiration from Super Metroid, cut content from Portal 2, and what the future might hold for Portal 3.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

In an interview with Simon Parkin on the My Perfect Console podcast(opens in new tab), Wolpaw explained the difficulties in getting the sequel off the ground. "In a flat structure like Valve, there is an opportunity cost to doing anything. Whatever is going on at Valve right now requires the dedication and participation of the people working on it—and it's voluntary."

So there needs to be enough people at Valve willing to work on Portal 3. But in the meantime, Wolpaw is going to keep pushing for it and—jokingly—giving Valve a hard time. "The people who could be disturbed by it internally understand that it's just me joking around," he added.

A source of frustration for fans is that there have been long periods of time where Valve hasn't seemingly been developing anything else, so why not Portal 3? Or Half-Life 3? But Wolpaw defends his employer.

"Valve is not a giant company. I think people sometimes think it is because of the outsized influence of Steam, but it's not really that many people. It takes manpower to keep Dota going, it takes manpower to keep CSGO going. And the freeform nature of Valve means that there are a lot of experiments that simply fail. So things are happening—if you were inside Valve, you would think that stuff was always going on, because it is."

And Valve has clearly been busy lately, what with the launch of the Steam Deck and development of Counter-Strike 2(opens in new tab). And there's Steam itself, which remains the most important piece of software Valve has ever designed or maintained.

"As much I enjoy the things I worked on at Valve and my time at Valve, and it's important to me, if I had to choose between Valve's games and Steam—which I feel is the most democratising technology that ever came out, to allow people to create games, game creators to actually make games and get them in front of people—I guess I would choose Steam," said Wolpaw.

So there will always be things competing for attention at Valve. "It's a manpower problem," said Wolpaw. "You have to pick what you're going to work on and time is limited."

kicker

Banned
Yeah, this was a good read.

This quote was why I made the thread asking what if steam never existed but valve made more games
As much I enjoy the things I worked on at Valve and my time at Valve, and it's important to me, if I had to choose between Valve's games and Steam—which I feel is the most democratising technology that ever came out, to allow people to create games, game creators to actually make games and get them in front of people—I guess I would choose Steam," said Wolpaw.

RAIDEN1

I've never ever played Portal, but I plan on purchasing the 2nd part as apparently that is the best one so far

kicker

Banned
Is there much in the way of story though? Apparently you'd get more entertainment from the 2nd one
2 builds upon what was established in 1. They're really similar in terms of quality, and it's really the co-op mode that separates them.

Put it this way, you won't appreciate the setting, charcaters or dialogue of 2 as much if you skip 1

donkey_oaty

Nothing you couldn’t read a summary of, it’s rather sparse and not the main reason to play it
I think that Portal has the perfect video game story, and it's all done in just a few hours. It's not really explicit but subtly hinted at as you progress through the games puzzles, you'll find rooms you're not meant to be in with writing on the wall, notice strange behavior from Glados, it all perfectly leads up to the reveal in the final act. That was my experience at least, though when I first played Portal though I was expecting it to be a puzzle game with some cake memes. No other game has ever surprised me like Portal did.

Tams

In that respect I wouldn't bother getting it for the sake of it...

1. The first one is the foundation for the second one. You'll miss out on a lot of you skip it.
2. The first one isn't expensive and comes in at half price in a bundle with the second one.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I think that Portal has the perfect video game story, and it's all done in just a few hours. It's not really explicit but subtly hinted at as you progress through the games puzzles, you'll find rooms you're not meant to be in with writing on the wall, notice strange behavior from Glados, it all perfectly leads up to the reveal in the final act. That was my experience at least, though when I first played Portal though I was expecting it to be a puzzle game with some cake memes. No other game has ever surprised me like Portal did.
Hey I don’t disagree, but if he’s not playing for that then I don’t see much being missed out on by going straight to 2. I just replayed 1 when the RTX mod came out and it’s still fantastic

Top Bottom