• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did you enjoy your teenage years?(Bullying, Girls, Sex, Drive, Games)

StueyDuck

The rest of the world doesn't have the high school life that Murica seems to promote.

We were all either great friends In our grade or indifferent, but there was essentially no bullying, no "nerds vs the cool kids". It was basically kids who cared about school and those who didn't.

I had some great times and some boring times.

Last edited:

DelireMan7

Very good memories.
No bullying. Actually one older guy who repeat several classes tried for a bit but I didn't care (I am pretty good for not caring about thing and didn't want to give him the impression that he annoys me) and when he tried physically I defend myself and he stopped.

Not really interested in dating for a while. It sounded like too much work and annoyance.

Lot of gaming with 3 friends and we are still in close contact 20 years later. Always a pleasure to see them and it's always a celebration when we see all 4 together.

So yes, I loved my teenage years.

Last edited:

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Yes and no.

Started fat and insecure (still feel this way)

Became best friends with the most popular guy in school (12 ATT)

Started skateboarding for 4 or 5 years later.

Followed up with a voluntary 24/7 stay at a psychiatric clinic for 6 weeks (almost 17 ATT)

It is what it is 😅

jason10mm

Gold Member
I sometimes wonder what would happen if current me were transported back to 15 year old me. "Invest in apple" shenanigans aside, have I really changed all that much? I'd probably be far more keyed into getting laid as I'd have the experience to recognize the opportunities (hell, probably be able to read the vulnerabilities in teachers and exploit that as well...yikes). Not sure I'm actually smarter though, for sure lots of history facts, math, and Grammer has long fled, but I'd kick ass in science and economics :p

While I have a lot of nostalgia for the 80's now, most of my childhood was kind of a slog.

Now my late 20s to early 30s when I was done with aggressive schooling, had some money, and a bit of game, THAT was my time.

NahaNago

High school was okay. I was mostly a loner and pretty much stuck to reading books, watching anime, and playing video games. I did have a part time job to help fund my hobbies. My school was ridiculously small so bullying wasn't a thing plus my school was half church/half school since nearly all of the kids went to the church as well. I was also younger than all of my female classmates and I'm short so girls weren't really a thing back then. The only bad part is that my grades weren't great and my dad was strict.

Those were some pretty chill days until the report cards came around.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
Immensely.
Kind of had an uh... interesting... teenager life.
Wish I savored them more.

MrMephistoX

2nd half was okay because I lost a ton of weight by getting into a sport but I was still so mentally fucked up by all the bullying before that I couldn’t really capitalize on it till college. Like looking back I was an handsome mother fucker after I got in shape and a bunch of girls wanted to date me but I was so socially inept from years of bullying I didn’t pick up on signals and couldn’t hold a conversation with the opposite sex at all.

Last edited:

midnightAI

Where do I begin? My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink, he would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Some times he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy, the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical, summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds, pretty standard really. At the age of 12 I received my first scribe. At the age of fourteen, a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum, it's breathtaking, I suggest you try it.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Where do I begin? My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink, he would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Some times he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy, the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical, summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds, pretty standard really. At the age of 12 I received my first scribe. At the age of fourteen, a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum, it's breathtaking, I suggest you try it.
Dammit, even the chatgpt AI can pay for gold!

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Dr Evil Whatever GIF

Lasha

My teenage years were great. I played sports, fucked, and studied pretty hard. I had a good circle of friends with whom I had many adventures. My part time job was simple and silly. I enjoyed some of the best gaming time of my life.

I have no nostalgia for high school though. I'm pretty happy with where I am at with my life and wouldn't go back for anything.

Fenix34

I remove teeth
Maybe i luck but u don't have last class of school.I have been in run because in place where i live in last classes begin military marches .It was 2008 as i remember.

I was an asshole bully from the years 14-17 or so. The guy I bullied died years later of cancer. He was actually a decent and nice guy. I was a gigantic prick. I'd slap the shit out of myself if I would see my younger self. I'm pretty sure I was compensating for being a fat virgin at that time.

After that I changed. I got fit and I had lots of fun partying with the occasional sexy time.

Last edited:

JCK75

It was a mix

I would save a portion of my lunch money each week to buy cassettes from a dirtbag I hung out with who I did not realize at the time was stealing them.. but I discovered music that I love to this day that way (Misfits, Danzig, Iron Maiden, Helloween, Grim Reaper, WASP, Megadeth).

My parents were crazy religious so I was sheltered from that shit.

Had a few dudes try to bully me but when they pushed to far I fought dirty and mopped the floor with them (literally)

I drew a crazy perverted comic strip about the worst of the school staff and some of the weirdos around us several times a week and was always getting in trouble when caught

I wanted long hair but my mother insisted I keep the top neat, this is how Mullets happen.. and my hair is curly so I had a full on poodle mullet

I was kicked out of school forever my senior year because some dude was trying to fight me.. it made no sense at all as I was not a violent person and only fought if I had no choice

From that day I got a job at Shoney's washing dishes, moved up to the kitchen.. saved up for a PC and because of that chain of events I am a PC gamer and an IT guy now.

poodaddy

Could've been great. Should've been great.

Wasn't great.
This. I over thought everything and made it a terrible experience, and if I was braver and less narcissistic I would have gotten the girl I wanted, (she wanted me too which I didn't find out about for years, but I pushed her away because I just assumed she'd hate me so I justified it by "ending our friendship before she could", like a fucking idiot. I pushed friends away constantly, assuming they hated me, which of course caused them to as I was just paranoid and nuts. I wanted to do so much but I hated myself and I assumed everyone would just pick on me, betray me eventually, or that they only wanted to make me believe we were friends so they could humiliate me later somehow, so I just kind of ruined everything for myself. I started taking it easy and having fun later though, and these days I'm a fairly relaxed guy....well, for the most part. Unfortunately, it's heart breaking to see some signs of that same insecurity cropping up in my daughter as she gets older, so I'm trying my best to try to keep that from getting any worse in her.

Ownage

High school was great.

Undergrad was awful except for the senior year.

Grad school was hilarious.

The School of Life was the most fun and most insightful.

Romulus

The thing I remember about HS was not getting any attention from girls despite being a normal, fun-loving dude. I was super skinny and awkward looking and hit puberty late. I had a "friend" that was constantly fucking with me about in class that he was getting laid etc, making jokes and just being a covert douche to make it even worse.
Came back from the military about 40lbs heavier and low body fat and everything was a different story. Ran in to that same guy at a nightclub with a tall and curvy chick on my arm that was a pageant girl(ended up being crazy tho). Anyway, I tried casually talking to my friend and he locked eyes with me and this deadpan face of terror before he remembered me. He literally turned around and walked out of the bar without a word and I never saw him again.

I'll never forget that look of defeat. I didn't look like the same dude at all, and he was insulted by my progress.

Last edited:

G-Bus

Banned
Those are the years I hit rock bottom and pulled myself out in my early twenties.

Learned a lot about myself at least.

sometimes I want that time back. Granted, now i get way more girls than back then but man, everything was so chill.
Going to school (from time to time), playing games, chilling with my mates, smoking weed, playing football… not giving a fuck about anything. Good times.

Fools idol

Banned
of course, I was a gigachad at school, banged all the bitches and a few teachers

then I woke up and played SNES in the dark confines of my grandmas spare bedroom.

Outlier

SIgh. How to answer this loaded question, with minimal negativity and nihilism...
I'll assume the question refers to all the teen years (13-19). Not just school.

13-15:
Learned that Puertorican culture is VERY different from American culture.
It is probably better for you to assimilate to places you move to.
Bullying can be seen as others method of testing you, while people who just pick on you are more likely trying to make friends with you.
Adults (even family) will not shield you from your personal and interpersonal struggles, so help yourself.
Hurting/torturing (or killing) creatures (including yourself) will teach you that building yourself and others up LIKELY makes your life more pleasant!
Being quiet, reserved, observant, reclusive, and passive can usually keep you of trouble and help you learn about others.
Teachers might take pity on you and give you passing grades (when you obviously failed), so you don't have to suffer long.
Friendships are possible, as long as you share common interests.
Video games are more a blessing, than a curse.

15-19:
Going back to your general culture brings back SOME comforts.
Teenagers are all going through strange self discovery phases, so things got weird.
Teens go through the most important precursor development years of their lives! Good leadership for this age group seemed paramount, but alas!
NOT running away (twice) might actually afford you more opportunities to make your life better.
Getting a job as a mid teen surely might be of GREAT help as you reach adult hood, but I'd have to ask those who actually did it.
Family might not be the best people, but at least they might care for you on SOME level.
Connections with the opposite sex can be dicey, so it's better to hang around those you innately relate to.
Sex may not define your capability to connect with others, but it can feel good, some times... maybe.
Men may just use you for their fleeting pleasures without desires for anything more, but for a time I wasn't so different...
Standard school isn't for everyone (Failed twice. Just didn't care anymore.). Although I got through it, eventually.
Actions (especially past) have consequences (especially mental) and they can help see the errors of your ways and get you on a better path.
Video games are more a curse, than a blessing.
There's more but you get the picture.

Conclusion: IT SUCKED! But it wasn't all bad.

I know I ended up typing this in a dissociated manner. It just felt natural to do. I tried to at least be neutral in my attitude.

Codes 208

The only thing i had in my teens were a small group of friends and games

It wasnt much, but it was enough. The good ol’ xbox 360 days of playing halo 3 or gears of war with the guys after school were the best (assuming i wasnt grounded for something stupid)

Not really at the time but looking back I'd say there was more good times than bad, I just really wasn't a fan of going to School like most people. I had a solid friend group all throughout so that was nice.

I'd say I have fonder memories of College though, it was a lot more laid-back of an experience and I actually was doing a subject I was interested in.

MastAndo

It wasn't bad. I had some pretty great times with friends and school was alright. Summer nights were spent grabbing a bunch of beer at the local deli that had no problem selling to minors and getting trashed in someone's alley or the park, like a bunch of degenerates. Most bullying stopped by my early teens, so that was another plus. Girls weren't a part of it, I felt pretty much invisible to them to the point where actual opportunities (in hindsight) didn't seem real...but still, I made some great friends during those times, some of which I still have today, decades later.

Thankfully I never got bullied. I was the tallest and beefiest basterd in high school so nobody tried bullying me out of the fear I'd kill them but really if someone called me a name it'd have fucked me up. I was such a big softy trying to act hard and cool.

Had a small group of friends and was reasonably successful with the girls. Lots of good memories in my teen years/high school.

Last edited:
Top Bottom