• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF - The Witcher 3 Modded on Switch: Enhanced settings? Boosted resolution? 60FPS?

Fake

With a modified Switch in hand, the doors blow wide open when it comes to squeezing more from its games library. The Witcher 3 benefits in many ways - solving many of the gripes we experienced in the base game. Now we can overclock the system to hit higher frame-rates, and even apply user-made mods to boost image quality and visuals. But at what cost?

Last edited:

stranno

You should use Tesla overlay sys-clk instead of sys-clk-Editor, you can change clocks on the fly and it is far easier to use.

Switch should be safe even overclocking to max clocks. Google's Pixel C use stock clocks and it just has a ridiculous conductive foam pad as a thermal passive solution. And it never had any temperature problems (unlike the original Nvidia Shield Tablet K1, that was a ticking bomb).

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Dynamic resolution needs to stop being a thing on all platforms. Just like unlocked fps. Stability over crazy fluctuations is better both for visual quality (which includes visual smoothness and motion clarity) and for gameplay feel. I could accept something like say, open world parts of this or that game rendering at 1080p, yet indoor parts with less going on and more stuff to look at closely at 4k (if there's a good divide, otherwise if indoor parts are few and far between in comparison then it'll still be jarring when it finally looks clear but most of the game is muddy), this sort of segmentation, but to constantly/greatly shift? No thanks. I always disable dynamic res in PC games just as I lock fps to the lowest average it can maintain for my preferred settings rather than switch from 60 to 140 fps based on the scene or where the camera was turned with whatever that entails for the inconsistent visual smoothness and also responsiveness. Meh. I just don't get these tech trends.

Last edited:

DESTROYA

I would try this but with my luck I would permanently brick my system, while the performance boost is pretty decent I’m not sure sacrificing battery life and a hotter running noisier Switch is worth it.
Nice vid tho.

Last edited:

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
Battery life

Long lasting battery life

fWwQxBp.gif

Even though I have been spoilt by having played the game on PC @ 60fps on max. settings, I cannot deny that it is mightily impressive stuff.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Saw a similar report some time ago. Nice preview of what could be a Switch Pro some day.

Last edited:
There seems to be a lot of headroom for overclocking the Switch. I'm surprised Nintendo didn't boost the clocks in dock mode by default. It seems like they're being overly conservative.

stranno

There seems to be a lot of headroom for overclocking the Switch. I'm surprised Nintendo didn't boost the clocks in dock mode by default. It seems like they're being overly conservative.
Vita is waay more underclocked. It runs between 41-444MHz (CPU) and 41-222MHz (GPU). While the ARM Cortex A9 could reach 2GHz (CPU) and 1GHz (GPU). 500MHz is the maximum you can go by software tho.

Last edited:
Top Bottom