• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF Retro: Nintendo 64 HDMI Video Options: EON Super 64, Retrotink 2x, UltraHDMI + N64 RGB!

Fake

Of all the major retro consoles, N64 is the machine that causes the most problems when hooking up to a modern flat panel display - mostly because S-Video was the top-end output offered by the machine itself. So what's the best solution here? @dark10x talks HDMI adapters and mods with MyLifeInGaming's Marc Duddleston, with a focus on the brand new 'plug and play' EON Super 64 adaptor.

Last edited:

Birdo

Banned
I really hope N64 emulation gets perfected one day, so we can finally do away with the crappy old hardware.

stranno

150$ and an smoothed mess, yeah ... no.

I'd go with the AU$48.00 Tim's RGB board anytime.

I have VERY little experience with soldering and i was able to install it without much trouble (and i had the MAV-NUS chip).

qYcDX3rl.jpg

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
i would be interested in something like this. i got a used N64 a year ago and a bunch of games. i can play it on my flat screen but it doesn't look very good. i can rock my CRT but it's tiny (it's still a better experience tho!). will give this a look for sure.

dolabla

I was happy the day the EON 64 (especially considering their Gamecube HDMI adapter looks awesome) was announced, but then I found out it was basically just S-video to HDMI which I already have with my Monster S-Video Gamecube cables and a Framemeister. It's playable, but things still don't look that good. It needs the deblur feature.

Best bet is to get the RGB mod with deblur or the Ultra HDMI that also has deblur.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
the n64 is the only console i own that looks like barf even with the framemeister.
it's vomit

only way i can make it look ok ish not modded is svideo on a crt

stranno

the n64 is the only console i own that looks like barf even with the framemeister.
it's vomit

only way i can make it look ok ish not modded is svideo on a crt
Yeah, N64 probably has the worst image quality of all time due hardware design.

Playstation, even with the lack of floating point unit vertex accuracy, antialiasing, texture filtering or texture distortion, not to mention the dithering, looks waaaaay better with a proper RGB output.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Yeah, N64 probably has the worst image quality of all time due hardware design.

Playstation, even with the lack of floating point unit vertex accuracy, antialiasing, texture filtering or texture distortion, not to mention the dithering, looks waaaaay better with a proper RGB output.

funny that you mention it i think the ps1 is one of the sharpest looking ones i have in 240p that imagine looks amazing.
recently i tried sotn again. and bof4 just amazing.

man makes me sad i own quite a lot of n64 games. IT has so many amazing games.
But that image quality :messenger_poop:

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
This thread is also making me wonder about doing a RGB mod on my US N64. That’s at least doable. The HDMI mod looks far to difficult.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

This thread is also making me wonder about doing a RGB mod on my US N64. That’s at least doable. The HDMI mod looks far to difficult.
You can have it done in most western countries. Took a few weeks in my case since the modder had a backlog of consoles to mod.

Top Bottom