• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF Retro - Lets play 1999 - Quake 3, Half-Life, Unreal and Jurassic

Really wish old PC hardware wasn't so expensive, I'm dying to get my hands on a good 386DX but not have to pay hundred to do so.

Reeeeeallllllyyyyyyyy wish I never let my parents get rid of any of our old computers. I could have a 386DX (with math co-processor baby!) and a Pentium 200MMX to fuck around with right now.

I should do a replay of Trespasser with Reshade. I tried playing it in VR once but unfortunately there's no streoscopic 3D option for it on VorpX. I'd really like to see a modern take on a game like it in VR.

Fake

He installing games just like me when I was a child.. Christ John stop make me feel old lmao.

Last edited:
C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
I remember reading about Trespasser in the tile before release. I was so amazed at the realism. They spoke about how you could hold a credit card in your hand and if you came too close to a wall you'd hear it scraping against the concrete.

Has anything this ambitious ever been attempted again?

Dr.D00p

Hmmm 1999...

What did I have back then as the old PC money pit....

Pentium II 333Mhz
128MB Ram (upgraded from 64Mb so I could play the big Neo-Geo games in MAME, with sound!!!)
Voodoo 2 Sli (Orchid Righteous)
20GB Hard Drive
17in CRT (1024x768)
56K dial up modem

...and a whole lot more time on my hands.

Last edited:

Allandor

Really wish old PC hardware wasn't so expensive, I'm dying to get my hands on a good 386DX but not have to pay hundred to do so.

Reeeeeallllllyyyyyyyy wish I never let my parents get rid of any of our old computers. I could have a 386DX (with math co-processor baby!) and a Pentium 200MMX to fuck around with right now.

you can go up to the Slot 1 Pentium 3. Than you can have ISA-Ports, AGP 2x and PCI-ports.
Have mine with 500 Mhz and and Voodoo 1 to 5 cards and a AWE64. But really, I don't use this system that much. Most games just work well with Dosbox and many other thx to GoG.

I tried to get a new slot 1 CPU for that system but that isn't so easy at all, if you don't want to pay to much for that processor (~900 Mhz p3 aren't cheap). Funny thing is, Voodoo 2 SLI scales very good with the CPU. It is really hard to get better performance with later cards, you need more than 1GHz to get real differences (except the resolution).

Flintty

I just sat on the bed and watched the whole thing and thoroughly enjoyed it. Whatever happened to Voodoo?

Back then I didn’t really game on PCs - I was a console dude but played on my friends a few times. They (friends) were always banging on about voodoo cards and Soundblaster!

you can go up to the Slot 1 Pentium 3. Than you can have ISA-Ports, AGP 2x and PCI-ports.
Have mine with 500 Mhz and and Voodoo 1 to 5 cards and a AWE64. But really, I don't use this system that much. Most games just work well with Dosbox and many other thx to GoG.

I tried to get a new slot 1 CPU for that system but that isn't so easy at all, if you don't want to pay to much for that processor (~900 Mhz p3 aren't cheap). Funny thing is, Voodoo 2 SLI scales very good with the CPU. It is really hard to get better performance with later cards, you need more than 1GHz to get real differences (except the resolution).
Personally, once the tech starts getting to hardware acceleration I lose my retro interest. Especially early Voodoo shit, GLQuake looks like absolute trash to me, and always did.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Half-Life overall didn't have super impressive visuals but that worker robot thing carrying a crate in the intro sequence creeped me out with how realistic it looked at the time, I don't know why. The metal chrome bits, the animations, whatever.

Last edited:
I just sat on the bed and watched the whole thing and thoroughly enjoyed it. Whatever happened to Voodoo?

3DFX went out of business and the remnants of the company were bought up and absorbed into Nvidia. Like SLi, for example. Which was a feature in Voodoo cards that became a standard for Nvidia cards.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
This was, for me, the coolest era of PC gaming. We'd done away with the needlessly complicated games of the early 90s, art finally looked halfway decent thanks to the advent of 3D acceleration, and games were kind of at their creative peak on the platform. This was the last time when PC games were meaningfully different than the games you saw on consoles.

So yeah, I'm excited to sit down and watch this whole thing. This feels like a video made for me.

Top Bottom