• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF Retro EX: Turok 2 Revisited! Switch/ N64/ PC - Original + Remastered!

Fake

The original Turok: Dinosaur Hunter was a landmark release. Its sequel? Not so much. However, the new remaster fixes most of the original release's issues and is now on Switch, alongside PC and Xbox One. In this video, Turok fans @dark10x and Alex Battaglia discuss the game in its various incarnations - and John shows the game running on original 3DFX Voodoo Graphics hardware! Plus: just how bad was N64 performance back in the day? Spoilers: pretty poor...

Last edited:

EctoPrime

The game went far lower than the 10 fps implied in the video on the N64. Firing the flamethrower in the level select hub area can drop it down to less than 1 fps. The framerate can get even worse if you look up while doing it. The games visuals shined when using the expansion pak. No hi-res footage from the N64 in the though.The Pen and ink cheat turns into a cool looking black and white wireframe mode when set to hi-res.

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
absolutely adored this game

dunno if people remember but a bunch of cheats came out down the line that enabled co-op and stuff

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
I think this was the first game to use the expansion pak, i thought it made a massive difference and to think it was plugged into the joypad.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
The rumble pack was plugged in the joypad, the RAM expansion pack was plugged in on top of the N64 itself.
I was thinking how was that even possible. Its been that long lol, but yes i think i got mixed up with the rumble pack and memory card derrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :)

Last edited:

Cattlyst

Remember getting this for the N64 with the expansion pack specifically. It had a black cartridge too, which I remember being very cool. Still, I have memories of getting hopelessly stuck in several of the levels and the save points were stupidly far apart. Defending the energy totems will always give me nightmares! Happy to see these old games brought back for a new generation (it's a nice touch that they seem to have added prompts as to where you're meant to go next) but I played this to death in its original form so there no reason for me to play it again.

Videospel

I played the original on PC. I think the gameplay itself was great, fun weapons and good combat. But the levels were so big, maze-like and confusing that I don't think I ever beat a level without cheating.

EDIT
Just watched the new footage, I think it looks awesome. And objective markers is something that this game really needed for all those hard to find switches.

Last edited:
Top Bottom