• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF raise some good points regarding PSVR2 in a recent video

Markio128

There’s no arguing that Sony’s marketing for anything PSVR 2 related has been almost non-existent of late. There have been loads of great games released for it, but you wouldn’t have a clue unless, like me, you are happy to spend time scratching around for news and updates from smaller media outlets.

The DF video pretty much sums up my thoughts.

With all the money Sony must have invested in VR, you’d think they’d be championing the games a lot more. A lot of VR developers don’t have the finances to market the games, so why doesn’t Sony market them on their behalf? Even a montage advert on TV would be a start.

The truth is, Sony doesn’t need to convince me that there are great games on PSVR2, but what about those sat on the fence?

ABnormal

Jim Ryan's Sony is not pushing much on marketing in general, but for VR in particular things are different: it is still a niche platform comprised by informed enthusiasts, and few are those that buy it after having known it through marketing. The only VR device that is partially casual friendly, and thus marketing-helped, is Quest.

More than marketing, Sony should push more on the previously hinted hybrid games and the few gems that come out here and there. That's more than enough to make it the home of selected unforgettable experiences.

I think that word of mouth will have greater impact than regular marketing for a while. After all, it's something that has to be properly experienced for a while, to grasp its potential.

Last edited:

Markio128

Jim Ryan's Sony is not pushing much on marketing in general, but for VR in particular things are different: it is still a niche platform comprised by informed enthusiasts, and few are those that buy it after having known it through marketing. The only VR device that is partially casual friendly, and thus marketing-helped, it Quest.

More than marketing, Sony should push more on the previously hinted hybrid games and the few gems that come out here and there. That's more than enough to make it the home of selected unforgettable experiences.

I think that word of mouth will have greater impact than regular marketing for a while. After all, it's something that has to be properly experienced for a while, to grasp its potential.
I agree with the hybrid game focus, as I’m sure that this was being touted as one of the main differentiators. Foolishly, I half expected Sony to have built a small VR team tasked with the job of adding VR to existing flatscreen games. This is either a pipe dream or Sony are keeping those cards very close to their chest.

They only need to add a VR mode to games like Cyberpunk and GTA V and the hardware becomes significantly more desirable.

I have a love/hate relationship with Sony. I love that they are willing to take risks, but hate that they tend not to make the most of them.

Markio128

The VR market is pretty much 90% Standalone Oculus Quest. The people have already spoken: tethered VR is dead.
The writing was on the wall a long time before PSVR2's release, but Sony ignored it.

Deckard will be the next big step.
Whether I disagree with this or not, I think you’re missing the point. The hardware being tethered doesn’t stop Sony from marketing the games more. Why spend millions on new hardware to then go radio silent?

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Advertise what? Gt7 and the horizon tech demo? (All the rest are regurgitated vr titles on other platforms) The problem.isnt the advertising or the hardware, it's actually the software. (Same problem that all vr faces)
Exclusive software drives hardware sales, not the other way around. Until the big software developers devote more energy to exclusive titles and vr hardware takes a bigger leap, it's never going to be as big as we want it to be.

Killer8

If Sony devote time in their State of Plays to PSVR2, people complain. If Sony don't devote time in the State of Plays to PSVR2, people also complain.

They cannot win. It's a niche product that only about half a million people own after all, so the voices in the former group are always going to vastly outweigh the latter. It's very hard to do a major push for something that 95% of your ecosystem doesn't have or necessarily even cares about.

Last edited:
The future of VR needs to be VR modes in standard games rather than standalone games. I think this is the strategy we will see once more games are announced.

This idea that VR has to be marketed separately probably isn't the right answer here.

Just like with the Switch being a handheld and a console, games aren't advertised as one or the other. I think that is the key to making this work.

I do think that untethered VR is going to be important, but that isn't the biggest barrier, at least not for me. For me, there aren't enough games that make me interested in buying it for the current price.

I also think Sony needs to push PC support sooner rather than later.

ABnormal

I agree with the hybrid game focus, as I’m sure that this was being touted as one of the main differentiators. Foolishly, I half expected Sony to have built a small VR team tasked with the job of adding VR to existing flatscreen games. This is either a pipe dream or Sony are keeping those cards very close to their chest.
That's what I did hope too. I pray it's still in motion and that Jim didn't cut it "because it's not trendy enough" (after all, VR is not an initiative of him, but of the previous management).

Rockman33

Jim Ryan's Sony is not pushing much on marketing in general, but for VR in particular things are different: it is still a niche platform comprised by informed enthusiasts, and few are those that buy it after having known it through marketing. The only VR device that is partially casual friendly, and thus marketing-helped, is Quest.

Sony has pushed their 1st party IP significantly. Horizon and god of war had a TON of marketing.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

I believe the "hybrid games" thingy was just something from a PSVR youtuber.

Bought A Fishermans Tale 2 for PSVR2, only I could not find the first game. I ended up buying A fishermans Tale 1 for the PSVR 1.
This sorta stuff is not ideal. I still need to order the free (hopefully it still is) camera adapter.
I thought about ordering some prescription lens inserts. But I don't know if it's smart putting any more money into the PSVR2. It might be best to just wait till the end of the generation and Pick up any games that might be released. Assuming any will be worth a damn.
Where are the environmental walkthrough stuff. I'm DONE with jump scares, Dark horror, and neon bright, kill your retina music games.

NoobSmog

I do agree hybrid games are probably the easiest/safest route to take to get more people into the ecosystem. The problem with developing games for psvr is the same problem they had with the vita, and also nintendo when their handheld and console were separate. It just takes too many resources to do both and financially isn't going to be worth it. Exclusives don't make sense when the market is too small.

Honestly I think the best solution would be if valve and sony formed some kind of partnership, but unfortunately I don't see that happening.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I said this before, Sony can't focus on more then one project.
This is why their handheld suffered as well as some other dumb decisions that they never even bothered to rectify, and it's why PSVR suffered too.
They excel at one while the other falls behind
Now the PSVR2 and to a smaller extent the PS5 will suffer while they focus on streaming and porting to squeeze another 10% sales boost out of the their library.
And like I said before I have no problems with them doing that as long as they're delivering on both fields, but they simply can't do both.

DeepSpace5D

The only real consistent marketing I see for them is of course on PlayStation’s Youtube channel which, to be fair, I think has 15 million subscribers so the VR trailers do have potential to be seen by a lot of people there.

Then if one of the VR games stands out I will usually see it get covered on a news site like Pushsquare or IGN or something along those lines.

Last edited:
They have lost interest in pvr2, don’t expect them to market something they don’t believe in, for me it’s not being wired is the problem, it’s just too big and bulky to use, they should have waited until the technology improved before jumping In again.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member

Damn dude. Legit end thread-tier post and the first reply. Well done.

Ozriel

M$FT
It would really make sense to enable PCVR support, get software sales on that platform too and ramp up hardware sales.
Sooner, rather than later, because that move loses all its potential once Deckard launches.

On the PlayStation side, more first party support is needed, tbh. And some variety for future games…tons of games being advertised these days seems to be samey looking shooters.

Putting more VR modes in first party games would be a great start.

Interesting to see how the market reacts to the Quest 3 when it launches next month.

Ozzie666

Sony is really working on building consumer trust when it comes to handhelds and VR headsets. The are about to put the final nail in the handheld coffin, if it's not dead already.

At this point, how could they even consider a PSVR3. Granted there is time for them to change the narrative, maybe there are great games for 2024 or 2025, but I highly doubt it. Maybe Sony is realistic and hopes to double sales compared to PSV2, is that a win? Maybe the world and hardware aren't ready for VR yet. The build it and they come attitude, needs to stop. Sony isn't trying hard enough giving up just like Vita.

Starting to remind me a little bit of early 90's Sega though. Too many battles to fight and they can't really fight more than one at a time.

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
I'm buying PSVR2 today. Came from Quest 2 which I sold a year ago then bought Pico 4 and sold it next day. I never want to touch Quest/PCVR/Pico shit again, NEVER.
There is just no competition at this price point + Gran Turismo is waaaay too addictive for me (I've skipped GT 6, Sport and 7). I have not played a good racing game since FH4. Also I can't live without Ultrawings - my life is worse without it.
And I don't even have a PS5 :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
It would really make sense to enable PCVR support, get software sales on that platform too and ramp up hardware sales.
Sooner, rather than later, because that move loses all its potential once Deckard launches.

On the PlayStation side, more first party support is needed, tbh. And some variety for future games…tons of games being advertised these days seems to be samey looking shooters.

Putting more VR modes in first party games would be a great start.

Interesting to see how the market reacts to the Quest 3 when it launches next month.

According to various folks here HL Alyx will be coming to PSVR2.

Ar¢tos

If Sony devote time in their State of Plays to PSVR2, people complain. If Sony don't devote time in the State of Plays to PSVR2, people also complain.

They cannot win. It's a niche product that only about half a million people own after all, so the voices in the former group are always going to vastly outweigh the latter. It's very hard to do a major push for something that 95% of your ecosystem doesn't have or necessarily even cares about.
I believe everyone, including non VR lovers, would have preferred to watch a montage of PSVR2 games instead of those painful 10min of Suicide Squad.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I dunno, I see about as much advertising for it as I do for the PS5, which is close to none. So I don't think that it's a problem exclusive to PSVR 2.

I also feel like they did give it an appropriate time slot during the latest showcase, considering the lower number of games that they actually had to show off.

Chukhopops

It’s a bit weird not to do more marketing now when Quest 3 is just around the corner and will probably get a large push from Meta around the holiday season.

Did Sony update the sales numbers in their last report?

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots

There is a super easy fix for this, a 20 second splash of the best VR in the main state of play, that at the end points to a separate state of play for VR.

PeteBull

Lets not go advertising/marketing route, guys, psvr2 doesnt interest mainstream consumer, so its sales are low, and no point to make any topquality games (which automatically means big devtime and funds spent)for it coz again low psvr2 sales=low game sales= no profit.
Its catch 22, and we wont break circle this gen at least, maybe by 2030+ it will be different story, only time will tell.

Just look how many copies new zelda sold in few months https://www.eurogamer.net/zelda-tea...m-units-as-nintendo-celebrates-record-quarter 18,5m by june 30th, but guess what- switch has over 125m instal base(official data https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2...illion-ps2-nintendo-ds-target-still-a-way-off ) , so even one zelda sold probably more copies, at full fat 70$ vs all psvr2 games combined.

sinnergy

The VR hype has passed , just like motion controls / Wii / Kinect. It’s also not very convenient technology for mass market adaption by casuals . Sony knows this , so why put money and effort in VR?

Last edited:

yurinka

There’s no arguing that Sony’s marketing for anything PSVR 2 related has been almost non-existent of late. There have been loads of great games released for it, but you wouldn’t have a clue unless, like me, you are happy to spend time scratching around for news and updates from smaller media outlets.

The DF video pretty much sums up my thoughts.

With all the money Sony must have invested in VR, you’d think they’d be championing the games a lot more. A lot of VR developers don’t have the finances to market the games, so why doesn’t Sony market them on their behalf? Even a montage advert on TV would be a start.

The truth is, Sony doesn’t need to convince me that there are great games on PSVR2, but what about those sat on the fence?

The VR hype has passed
Did Sony update the sales numbers in their last report?

PSVR2 sold faster on its launch than PSVR1 following Sony's expectations, so their marketing has been enough.

Instead of marketing, how about Sony make a AAA title for it?
Do you know PSVR2 has Horizon CoM, Gran Turismo 7 and Firewall Ultra and signed games like RE Village and RE4 Remake? Not sure if you are following Sony's marketing because they are featured there.

Last edited:

X-Wing

Duchess

I'm rather baffled that Sony keep wanting to push VR so much. If they were going to make another system, a handheld would be better. For better or worse, an increasing number of people are playing games on the go, so it would make more sense to have a finger in that pie.

Do you know PSVR2 has Horizon CoM, Gran Turismo 7 and Firewall Ultra and signed games like RE Village and RE4 Remake? Not sure if you are following Sony's marketing because they are featured there.

This is bare minimum. I mean, if they didn't even had this, you would have basically zero games to play on it.

I am talking about something exciting, like Half Life Alyx at least. Or something even more groundbreaking, they must have some ideas, wouldn't launch an expensive product without that.

Moses85

Waiting for a pricedrop and RE4 Remake VR Update. Then its

My precious GIF

Fredrik

The VR hype has passed , just like motion controls / Wii / Kinect. It’s also not very convenient technology for mass market adaption by casuals . Sony knows this , so why put money and effort in VR?
Because they launched it 6 months ago. Why even release it if they don’t believe in it after 6 months of not really doing much to help it sell?

Miles708

That's what I did hope too. I pray it's still in motion and that Jim didn't cut it "because it's not trendy enough" (after all, VR is not an initiative of him, but of the previous management).
Jim cut all the fun and the risk taking from Sony, i can definitely see PSVR2 being the obvious next thing to kill. Especially since, as you say, everything was done before him.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
They need to convince me there are great games on it OP. So far it’s been the usual selection of ports, short experiences and Beat Saber. Only two or three games that really show the hardware off.

They don’t have the AAA games to market, so they’re not doing it.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Seems like they’re barely making games for it so I’m not sure what there is to even advertise that’d get people who’s not already interested excited.

I've said it before and I'l say it again. VR is SONY's very own Mega CD. The sales ratio to the base console isn't that great The In-House teams don't do a good enough job of making enough content for the systems and it's left up to 3rd parties too much, just like what happened with the Mega CD

You wonder why SONY even bothered with the VR2 given the pathetic support they've shown for it

Last edited:

Tams

I mean, we're in the summer doldrums.

Traditionally a quiet time for most media: people busy doing other stuff outside (provided they aren't on fire - then they have other concerns), money being spent on those other things, etc.

If marketing doesn't pick up for Christmas, then there will be room for concern.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

PSVR2 sold faster on its launch than PSVR1 following Sony's expectations, so their marketing has been enough.
I mean after that, in their last quarterly report where they update on console sales, game sales etc.

If there are no numbers then it’s bad (as we all know).

If it worked on PC, I'd get one. With such a limited library on PlayStation and after purchasing the last PSVR with very little support, why should I bother.

NahaNago

I agree with the hybrid idea for games as well. They need to hire a few more people for each studio to work on the porting aspect for these games to vr and maybe a main vr studio to help out all of the studios. This is pretty much the only way I can see Sony support psvr2 software and be able to market the vr aspect of the game when it first gets pushed. Like someone else mentioned pretty much a Playstation Nintendo switch but for vr and ps5.

It also needed to be untethered to an extent.

Top Bottom