• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF - Ori And The Will of the Wisps Switch Analysis: Inside An 'Impossible' Port

Fake

This is simply a stunning conversion to Switch. One of the most beautiful games on Xbox One retains almost all of its visual features on the Nintendo hybrid console - and does so while still targeting 60 frames per second. It's an astonishing technological achievement, but how is it possible? John talks with the developers and showcases the techniques and optimisations used to deliver the latest of Switch's miracle ports.

Summary:
- Comparisons between the Xbox version
- Game runs at 900p
- Uses dynamic resolution scaler
- The game use dynamic resolution for layers as well, so background can get drop resolution, but as motion blur/adpt field in place is almost insignificant
- The game use two types of lightning engines: Static and Dynamic
- Perfomance runs quite well. Runs at 60 fps most of the times with some dips here and here between 56~60
- Games use vertical sync, so no screen tearing

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
What an amazing port. I highly recommend watching the video on this one to get a complete insight into how it was done. They get access to the studio’s tools and really get into how they made the game and ported it, and the details are absolutely fascinating.

I wouldn’t have thought this was possible. Even One X was having it’s moments with this game at launch.

I guess the question for me is whether to play this on GamePass with 4K, HDR, and the better technical presentation, or to enjoy it between TV and on the go with Switch. Given how close both look, and the accessible fun of handheld play, it’s actually a difficult decision.

carlosrox

Banned
Something about this game rubs me wrong. Not really a fan of the art style. Edit: Wow actually nevermind, this looks great. I was thinking of the first game. This one has a bit of a different style doesn't it?

Enticing that this is such a good port though.

Excellent Switch ports are always tempting.

Alien Isolation is probably the most impressive as I believe it actually exceeds the PS4 and PC versions in some respects.

Last edited:

Md Ray

A lot of effort poured by the devs here. This could have been a 30fps port on Switch, but it's not. The video goes into great detail covering each and every aspect of the porting process and how meticulously it was done.

Last edited:
Top Bottom