• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Nier Automata for Nintendo Switch - DF Tech Review - Another Impossible Port?

TLZ

Banned
Look my dude no one is saying it's perfect port or anything so your Xbox and PS4 version is still good

I'm not sure how is it a move goal, you're the one claiming it's unoptomized.
It's a demanding game, the reason for why doesn't really matter because it's going to be a demanding unoptomized game on switch too.
That they managed to make smart nips and tucks and get such a heavy "unoptomized" game running in the state it is is fairly impressive for switch.
Most people would have wrote it off running at all in any playable state.
Maybe after all those years they had more time to optimise it for the Switch, not to mention all the cut backs? It's not like it releases day and date with the PS4.

TLZ

Banned
Like all these Switch ports I guess it's good enough for people who only have a Switch or only like to play games on the go. Gimped Nier Automata is better than no Nier Automata
But "impossible port" seems like a stretch for a dated looking game that ran at 60fps on last gen consoles. Switch runs Bayonetta 2 at 60(ish)fps and Nier Automata doesn't look a whole lot better
The Office Thank You GIF

Deerock71

I think that Oliver sounds overly impressed about the port. All I see it does is to cut everything to it’s bare minimum in geometry and textures, slap an serviceable temporal upscaling method, and even after this can’t lock at 30. There’s no miracle here, the guy even gets close to saying that this version looks better than Xbox One and PS4 version despite all severe cutbacks. Definitely his gobbly eyes need a pair of new glasses.
jeff bridges opinion GIF

Bad coding can definitely push a console hard

But you know, for ALL the wrong reasons

You could tell at times the game was holding on by a thread even though it's easily my second favorite game of all time.

Not on PS4.

I beat the game multiple times to get the best ending and the game barely had much in the way of performance issues.

Regardless, a poorly optimised game on PS4/XB1 doesn't somehow make a Switch Port some kind of impossible miracle.

Deerock71

Regardless, a poorly optimised game on PS4/XB1 doesn't somehow make a Switch Port some kind of impossible miracle.
If you watch the video, it's apparent Virtuos did a lot more than just phone it in. They put a lot of work into it from the top-down, and added a global anti-aliasing solution the original didn't have. They said it wasn't up to the level of Alien: Isolation's graphical overhaul, but it was still impressive work.

If you watch the video, it's apparent Virtuos did a lot more than just phone it in. They put a lot of work into it from the top-down, and added a global anti-aliasing solution the original didn't have. They said it wasn't up to the level of Alien: Isolation's graphical overhaul, but it was still impressive work.

What the fuck are you talking about? I'm not arguing that the port isn't a solid effort by the dev.

I'm arguing it wasn't some impossible miracle that should have never been able to run on the Switch.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I LOOOOVE NieR Automata the had some performance issue even on PS4 pro (no where near as bad as Drakengard 3), glad to see running decently on Switch.

kubricks

It might not be an "impossible" port but it surely is a great one for handheld play! They put a lot of effort in it and it shows. I still remember playing this game at launch on my gaming PC before special K / FAR mod came out, it ran like shit lol.

Anyway, the port traded texture quality and lower fps to 30 for good resolution and consistent frame pacing, this makes perfect sense for handheld play. On a small screen lower texture is not noticeable and stable 30fps beats unstable frame rate any day. No comment on Docked play though since my Switch is in portable mode all the time.

why would anyone play 3rd party titles on Switch? You know it's gonna look and run like horseshit because of the potato hardware.
Because it's good to have choice, and portable play is great. Base on same argument no one should play any 3rd party titles, especially First person shooter, on PS/Xbox instead of a full fat gaming PC that can run the game at max setting and 144fps with mods to make it even better.

Just last night I was lying on my bed playing Nier Automata with my headphone on while my wife was sleeping next to me, it felt unreal lol.
Just to clarify, I have already beaten the game at max setting 60fps on my gaming PC years ago. The Switch port on handheld is still great, the downgrade felt minimal on the 6.2" screen.

Last edited:

Gambit2483

why would anyone play 3rd party titles on Switch? You know it's gonna look and run like horseshit because of the potato hardware.
Seriously? 🤨 Not everyone is a graphicswhore who must have 60fps in order to enjoy their games. Most of the games look and run absolutely fine for most people.

Also, being able to play these games portably is a huge boon for many people.

Last edited:
wow DF really have gone downhill.

I think the port is fine. If you want to play the game while out and about then it's good enough. Plus the game was never one for its looks so does it really matter? 30fps in handheld is fine but it's a shame they can't do 60fps in docked.

i have the game on PC but would probably pick it for up Switch to play on the train or in the car...or even at home. If i wanted better graphics then i'd play it on PC.

a lot of people don't care about visuals or performance and much prefer portability. i'm happy to see Automata on Switch and I think they done they best they could with it

kiphalfton

Impossible port is Resident evil 2 for N64.

Nintendo used to actually try. The stuff on Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, etc. was impressive. But then again that usually involved an entirely different version for games (and not just ports). Not sure if they even do that anymore, besides maybe that FFXV game.

F31 Leopard

Ordered and picked up a copy. I bought because I'm genuinely curious to see how it fairs on Switch in person. I would have preferred Square port Replicant or last gen Papa Nier. Automata's story didn't click with me like the 1st game.
qHQRqa2.jpg

Last edited:

Puscifer

Not on PS4.

I beat the game multiple times to get the best ending and the game barely had much in the way of performance issues.

That was my point, the game was honestly barren and should've looked much better considering what came before and after. Not complaining, it didn't take away from us being an amazing game

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
This is difficult from a resource balancing standpoint because you need to keep things visually consistent... its very easy to find yourself with less performance/resource headroom than you thought you had.
Nier is far from the only game to have done that though.
Also - this is a game built around early PS3 era rendering approaches (meaning it's still heavily influenced with things that worked best on PS2). That's a dual-edge - it lends itself to certain visual styles (IMO that's what works well) but it also looks distinctly different from 'cutting edge' in terms of detail and visual density on screen.
More importantly - these aren't approaches that are necessarily best suited to 201x/2x era hardware, especially when using Unreal, so when it comes to hw utilization, it's a mixed bag (not even counting the broken attempt at GI they had going).

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
It's an interesting technical achievement to make it run, I guess... but the end results look like crap, and I can't imagine wanting to play the game like this when it looked and ran better when it came out on other platforms 5 years ago.

I get it, it's portable - I don't care... just wait till you get home instead of ruining the damn thing.

Deerock71

I guess two things:

1) Likening the game to "wretched ass" and "crap" is more hyperbole than "miracle port". Squeenix could've phoned this in, just cranked everything down, like those guys that made Ark, and called it a day. They didn't. This is a beautiful conversion.

2) I love like when games like this are brought to the Switch, and graphics snobs (and NEW AND IMPROVED! FRAMES SNOBS!) march into a Switch thread knowing full well WE DON'T GIVE A SHIT like that, yet you feel the need to tell us why we should think the way you think.

Fuck right off.

Kilau

Gotta love how they write

like one of the so-called "impossible ports"

As if DF hasn’t been pushing that nonsense from the start.

The port performs perfectly reasonably on the hardware given the cutbacks to resolution, targeted frame rate and assets. Kudos to Virtuos for getting a badly performing engine to run well enough on the switch.

nordique

Portability man. If a game is good enough and runs well, some of these games are better suited for a pick up and go experience

Not the ideal way to play and beat every game, but its how I beat Doom (2016) for example

bender

What time is it?
I love these miracle ports, no matter how improbable they seem, or how impossible the task, the Switch just keeps running these games we all deemed unlikely. Should we stop this mindset, stop giving into the unthinkable, the unfathomable, and realize the implausible is actually plausible. These phenomenal ports are something to marvel even if they seem farfetched, we should be full of wonder instead of question how likely it is to have them. It's no wonder that DF is surprised by the revelations of these unbelievably rare porting efforts.

Top Bottom