• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DeVos: States can decide if private schools that accept public money can discriminate

Piecake

1. States should have the flexibility to decide whether private schools that accept students with publicly funded vouchers can discriminate any students for any reason

Rep. Katherine M. Clark (D-Mass.) said that one private school in Indiana that is a voucher school says it may deny admission to students who are LGBT or who come from a family where there is “homosexual or bisexual activity.” She asked DeVos whether she would tell the state of Indiana that it could not discriminate in that way if it were to accept federal funding through a new school choice program. Clark further asked what DeVos would say if a voucher school were not accepting African American students and the state “said it was okay.”

To Clark’s question about whether she would step in, DeVos responded: “Well again, the Office of Civil Rights and our Title IX protections are broadly applicable across the board, but when it comes to parents making choices on behalf of their students …”

Clark interrupted and said, “This isn’t about parents making choices, this is about the use of federal dollars. Is there any situation? Would you say to Indiana, that school cannot discriminate against LGBT students if you want to receive federal dollars? Or would you say the state has the flexibility?”

DeVos said: “I believe states should continue to have flexibility in putting together programs …”

Clark interrupted, saying: “So if I understand your testimony — I want to make sure I get this right. There is no situation of discrimination or exclusion that if a state approved it for its voucher program that you would step in and say that’s not how we are going to use our federal dollars?”

DeVos said she didn’t want to answer a hypothetical question. Clark said it wasn’t hypothetical, and asked if she saw any circumstance that the federal government would tell a state that it could not allow a private voucher school to discriminate against students.

At that point time expired, but DeVos was allowed to respond.

DeVos: “I go back to the bottom line — is we believe parents are the best equipped to make choices for their children’s schooling and education decisions, and too many children are trapped in schools that don’t work for them. We have to do something different. We have to do something different than continuing a top-down, one-size-fits-all approach. And that is the focus. And states and local communities are best equipped to make these decisions.”

Clark: “I am shocked that you cannot come up with one example of discrimination that you would stand up for students.”

The chairman of the subcommittee said she wasn’t required to answer. She didn’t and the discussion moved on.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...os-just-told-congress/?utm_term=.0a1fd9af3253

Click the link for 4 more instances of crazy or completely false shit

royalan

And this is one of the many reasons why students got up, boo'd and turned their backs to her.

And why those college officials who chastised them should be ashamed of themselves.

DeVos is garbage. There's no reasoning with any member of this administration. You just shame them and deny them their dignity in public.

Slayven

I bet money she thought this was just going to be an honorary gig and she get all the prestige and didn't have to do any of the work

Man this stuff is so gross. Let's just leave the poors/minority groups and let the rich people segregate themselves. How do people fall for this blatant classism? Let alone DeVos basically shirking the federal government's responsibility to fight discrimination against protected classes.

Worst part about this is that we've essentially gone past the point of return with these ideologies focused on treating normal people as sub-humans. Sure, we may get back an administration that stands for equal rights, but these "identity politics" will remain as a legitimate point of debate to the eyes of a great many in this nation. That throughout our lifetime we will be doing this push and pull is...depressing.

iammeiam

Legitimately surprised DeVos didn't say she'd stand up to religious discrimination.

Because I can't see DeVos or anyone on that side being fine with states OKing schools refusing students with ties to religions that are anti-LGBT

Azuran

Banned
And here I was thinking the collective IQ in America couldn't get any lower than it already is. Betsy is trying everything in her power to make make me think otherwise.

I weep for future students.

...private schools that accept publicly funded vouchers can discriminate any students for any reason...

YmuRofs.gif

Christian schools already discriminate against the special needs and have been getting away with it because they claim that they do not receive enough funding to meet those students needs. In some cases families will have their entire family in private schools but their special needs siblings get carted off to public schools. It's a pretty fucked up state of affairs.

Number_6

What an awful, shitty person. She sits there and grins, then gives her same bullshit talking points. Brings up "hypotheticals" when they're talking about a real school, and gets rightly put in her place. Except, nothing will change...

Sianos

"States should have the flexibility to decide whether private schools that accept students with publicly funded vouchers can discriminate any students for any reason"

That's not even coded language any more, that's just straight up saying it's okay to discriminate against people on the basis of their race or sexuality. As in, those are the exact words she used.

Fuck this "religious beliefs" excuse, does anyone really think a single person would take me seriously if I said a god spoke to me and said I couldn't allow white people in my school?

Didn't we have, like, a whole fucking civil rights movement for actions exactly such as this? Like, how stupid is this trash-garbage piece of shit?

RedHill

Banned
Moderates with that remedial false peace shit are honestly more fucking annoying that those far right radicalized Trump supporters. At least with those fucks you know where they stand.
Yeah at this point the moderates telling marginalized people to calm down infuriate me more than anything

so has she done anything for students yet?
Define anything? I know her rhetoric is enough to disenfranchise quite a few of my high school students. It had led to great discussions regarding civics, empathy, and how to effectively combat DeVos and her kind through education, social, economic, and judicial reform, and VOTING).

She makes me a more focused teacher.

Hydrus

This has nothing to do with the topic, but every time I see the name DeVos, I read it as Davos, as in Davos Seaworth from game of thrones. I then read the OP in his voice. I'm sorry. I just had to get that off my chest.

Dryk

Just deflecting to "parents/states rights" and straight up refusing to answer the question at hand.

This has nothing to do with the topic, but every time I see the name DeVos, I read it as Davos, as in Davos Seaworth from game of thrones. I then read the OP in his voice. I'm sorry. I just had to get that off my chest.
I'd say she's more of a Davros

Gallbaro

Banned
I don't think they realize that segregation in education does not lead to Christian Paradise but a significant amount of radicalized communities.

Including Christian.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
You jealous fucks! Just because you won't be able to tell your grandkids that you've served under a president while becoming a tastemaker for education, you hate on this [situationally] poor woman. If you don't like the work she's doing then how about you donate your hard earned money next election, buy the position and then show everyone just how much better you can do. She's not even finished her work and everyone is condemning her. It's like people are complaining about eating raw dough without letting the chief bake the pizza. Poor lady :'(

time to petition the states that anybody with a degree from a charter school can't transfer to the state university system? Or at least not easily due to their curriculum not matching mandated states education requirements? Would that be a legitimate way to fight this?

You jealous fucks! Just because you won't be able to tell your grandkids that you've served under a president while becoming a tastemaker for education, you hate on this [situationally] poor woman. If you don't like the work she's doing then how about you donate your hard earned money next election, buy the position and then show everyone just how much better you can do. She's not even finished her work and everyone is condemning her. It's like people are complaining about eating raw dough without letting the chief bake the pizza. Poor lady :'(
How could you honestly say something like th........wait, I'm not taking it this time.

Top Bottom