• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 5 Producer Explains How the Game Was Born and the Tech Powering it.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://www.dualshockers.com/devil-may-cry-5-birth-tech/#nnn

Bringing Back the Devil Hunters to Appeal to the Global Market

“In the beginning, one of the main characters, Nero, loses his right hand. He attaches the Devil Breaker to where his right hand was and sets off to battle the demons!” Devil May Cry 5, the latest title in this series, starts with this scene, which was the idea of the Director, Hideaki Itsuno.

With the help of his new partner, weapons craftswoman Nico, Nero takes down demons one after the other in a way that is not only stylish, but feels good. This “good feeling” is a distinctive feature of the Devil May Cry series. The exhilaration of using guns and swords to stylishly defeat demons, interwoven with the story of main characters Nero and Dante’s hidden pasts engrossed fans all over the world, leading the series to become a hit, with cumulative sales of 16 million units.

As this series is immensely popular overseas, we’ve brought on Matt Walker as well. Matt, who initially began studying Japanese because of Street Fighter, is a producer who has absorbed the Capcom DNA, and now works to push forward our strategy.

This new title was announced at E3, one of the world’s largest game expos, held in June. The announcement coincided with that of Resident Evil 2, the latest Resident Evil title, which is the sister series to Devil May Cry. Both announcements received a standing ovation.

I think announcing both of these titles at E3 conveyed the momentum we have going at Capcom.

Driving to the Apex of Action Games With the RE ENGINE

The stylishness of this game is what makes it appealing, so it goes without saying that it demands cutting-edge visuals and action. Our aim was to create a new Devil May Cry legend that satisfies users byincorporating photorealism, which is mainstream overseas, and a sense of speed and exhilaration unlike previous titles.

Capcom’s technical capabilities make this possible. Further striving for visual perfection, we cast models in England for the main characters and created real costumes from scratch. After makeup was applied, the fully costumed models were scanned as 3D objects.

For character expressions, we used the latest facial technologies developed by Serbian company 3Lateral. The exhilarating movement of the game uses motion capture, with each individual part combined using Capcom’s RE ENGINE to successfully express realistic details in the characters’ appearances, expressions and action. With facial expressions in particular, when voice actors later recorded the lines, they understood the emotions just by looking at the video, lending a realism that could be mistaken for live action. My sense is that we were able to achieve extremely fine quality by combining cutting-edge technology with the development expertise Capcom has accumulated over the years.

The release is scheduled for March 8, 2019. We want to deliver this to the world as the apex of action games—DMC is back! We hope you are excited!

Last edited:

onlyoneno1

I have always been a huge DMC fan. I even liked the DmC game though it had cringey moments, I liked the combat a lot. But this game... OMG this game is on a whole another level than any of the past action games. I am so hyped to play this gem, I cannot wait. I hope Xbox launches a DMC themed controller as well.

CatCouch

I hope Capcom doesn't try to make every game photo-realistic. I'm a bit worried they are going to drop the "art" side of things and go full western realism. I'd hate to see Street Fighter VI drop the exaggerated art and start scanning people dressed as the characters. That would be weird, lol.

I think it works well enough for RE and DMC, though. I'm liking the direction Capcom has been going in just as long ast they don't drop things I really want, like fighting games outside of SF. Give me a Capcom fighter with Darkstalker characters! And not like MVC Infinite.

I just enjoy Nero's theme. Makes me want to buy the game alone on that.

I listen to metal mostly these days (although have listened to tons of Electronica), but I just love that track.

Need a RE4 remake with Mercenaries and each character getting their own theme song. (Hopefully Wesker's doesnt' sound like DMC5's Dante's initial song though [before it gets replaced])

Yeah it's late, I'm drinking, but it sounds good at the moment.

Hotspurr

Banned
I'm clearing my backlog for this and avoiding new games.
I just want this and Sekiro next year, and hope there is a good amount of replayability. If higher difficulty modes give access to new, tougher enemies or bosses that would be ideal.

Winchester

I hope Capcom doesn't try to make every game photo-realistic. I'm a bit worried they are going to drop the "art" side of things and go full western realism. I'd hate to see Street Fighter VI drop the exaggerated art and start scanning people dressed as the characters. That would be weird, lol.

I think it works well enough for RE and DMC, though. I'm liking the direction Capcom has been going in just as long ast they don't drop things I really want, like fighting games outside of SF. Give me a Capcom fighter with Darkstalker characters! And not like MVC Infinite.

Not to go totally off subject but I'm actually tired of the exaggerated art for the SF games. I'd love to see them go back to more normal proportions a la SFII or, better yet, CvS2.

Back to DMC, I'm fine with the RE Engine for it. Just not a huge fan of Dante's photo-realistic face. Reeeeeeeeally wish they would've found a different model. Having a hard time getting used to this:

Devil_May_Cry_5_-_Dante_header.jpg

He's not Donte ugly, so I'm thankful for that at least.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I went ahead and preordered on PSN. The theme definitely highlights the detail Capcom is using with each character. It might be just me, but Nero reminds me of Kevin Pereira. :messenger_grinning_squinting:

bottom.jpg

Top.jpg

Airbus Jr

Banned
Not to go totally off subject but I'm actually tired of the exaggerated art for the SF games. I'd love to see them go back to more normal proportions a la SFII or, better yet, CvS2.

Back to DMC, I'm fine with the RE Engine for it. Just not a huge fan of Dante's photo-realistic face. Reeeeeeeeally wish they would've found a different model. Having a hard time getting used to this:

Devil_May_Cry_5_-_Dante_header.jpg

He's not Donte ugly, so I'm thankful for that at least.
Youre right he's not ugly Dante

More like homeless Dante now😂

Top Bottom