• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Developer earned over £250k from the platinum trophy shovelware games that made in 30 minutes each

Skifi28

Getting 100% in a game you like is a great feeling, even more so if it required effort. Buying something you don't care about just to get 100% within 5 minutes is addiction territory, but whatever floats your boat.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I hated the moment when the ps3 console got that stupid fucking trophy bullshit update.

dev points how trophys are bullshit
Good on him

Topher

Gold Member
Getting 100% in a game you like is a great feeling, even more so if it required effort. Buying something you don't care about just to get 100% within 5 minutes is addiction territory, but whatever floats your boat.

I enjoy Platinum trophy hunting myself. For games that do it right, it is a fun activity that compliments the game itself. I don't get the appeal of what are essentially trophy generator apps, but as you say.....folks are free to spend their money how they like.

To each their own. If those people that buy these game... erm.. products, think this is worth their money, who am I to deny them their "fun". And that developer is just like fast food companies. They sell legal stuff, and people munch it and they make profit which is the primary goal of any company in order to survive.
I have a couple dozen platinums. Some Telltale games and other simpler stuff, and also some autopopped, but pure trophy games not yet. I know which ones were hard and truly enjoyable. Which were certainly the minority.

Literally can count how many I've seen since Sony and Steam decided to implement options to turn them off. Crazy how at one point people were saying Achievements/Trophies counted as "replay value"
Some do, some don’t.

Example: Some trophies will literally hint you towards secret missable content.

Like most things in life, nothing is built perfect and that includes trophies and achievements, so you will occasionally get people who take advantage of said systems.

nush

Scrolling through all this shit is a pain in the ass.

IjEL2zL.png

This is why people want to filter out indies from search results. Glad they made lots of money inconveniencing the majority of gamers.

Hohenheim

I find it strange that people care at all about trophies and archievements in games. I try to turn all that shit off so I don't get any pop-ups or see any archievements. But it's getting hard to avoid all that crap.
It's refreshing playing a game on the Switch now and then, as they still don't focus on this. Probably not for long though

Topher

Gold Member
I find it strange that people care at all about trophies and archievements in games. I try to turn all that shit off so I don't get any pop-ups or see any archievements. But it's getting hard to avoid all that crap.
It's refreshing playing a game on the Switch now and then, as they still don't focus on this. Probably not for long though

How is it hard to avoid if you've turned off the notifications?

Hohenheim

How is it hard to avoid if you've turned off the notifications?
Hardere then I thought! Sometimes stuff keep popping:) But yeah, I should definitly be able to make it all disappear. The popping of archievements kinda breaks the immersion in games for me.

xrnzaaas

The bad thing is that Sony is still allowing shovelware titles made for easy platinums. Maybe not so blatant examples like in the past (and not so dirt cheap), but you can still tell what they were designed for.

Last edited:
People on Steam don't seem to care much about achievements. Probably because they can be hacked with SAM in about 30 seconds.

StueyDuck

I mean when a grift is this stupid and people still get gifted then good on them.

This wasn't abusive to anyone, just stupidity

People on Steam don't seem to care much about achievements. Probably because they can be hacked with SAM in about 30 seconds.

Yeah, there are some achievement communities on Steam but they are niche compared to console. You can use mods or CE to unlock Steam achievements immediately.

I mean when a grift is this stupid and people still get gifted then good on them.

This wasn't abusive to anyone, just stupidity

Not necessary stupidity. People buying those know exactly what they are getting. It is more of an addiction issue.

I can still remember my work colleague gambling through Hana Montana for a platinum trophy. Let people play the trash.

It's more of a branding to have such rubbish in the trophy list

Venuspower

Nice, never heard of these games before. I bought Stroke The Hamster and Stroke The Hedgehog straight away. The gameplay is terrific. Who needs motion matching when you can have X-Smashing?

18dd71242ed66-screenshot-Url.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom