• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 has become a Microtransaction Hell. Will it affect the other live service games from Sony?

Spyxos

Gold Member

I got Destiny 1 and 2 each on day 1, but lost interest again very quickly. I then briefly looked into Forsaken, which I liked quite well but only the campaign.
I recently tried to play Destiny 2 again, but quickly lost track of what I have to do and where to go at all. I also had no idea how bad Destiny 2 monetization is.

In the video you can see how everything is tried to make it as cumbersome as possible and to pull as much money as possible out of your pocket. And as it turns out, it's not f2p at all, but just has a free trial mode where you can play about 1/10 of the content for free.

https://www.ggrecon.com/articles/bungie-reportedly-had-a-hand-in-tlou-factions-delay/
As we recently learned, Bungie has quite a bit to say about the other Sony live service games. Last of Us Factions is more or less rebuilt because of Bungie's opinion. I wonder how bad the other service games will be, where Bungie has such influence. And who have monetized their own game more or less everywhere.

HTK

Banned
Yall really need to stop playing this garbage ass game. I feel like Bungie has wasted 10 years of dev on this and the reason being is because yall keep playing this mess.

I wish they would charge you $100 just for logging into Destiny because you deserve it. I hope they keep monetizing the living bejesus out of it until people wake the fuck up. Good day.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Hey if you are dumb enough to buy season pass lvls, I’m sure Sony will be glad to have ya.

Last edited:

Dr_Ifto

I was able to play and enjoy it just fine. Yeah it has things you can buy, but I was able to play it without them. My crew and I were able to raid just like the best of them. This game is a, now at least, F2P game for the most part. Battlepasses / expansions are cheap if you want those things. You can not get them and enjoy the game just fine. The other items are totally not necessary to enjoy the game.

I honestly think Sony's strategy on relying so much on Gaas titles and based SOLELY on Bungie model is going to backfire tremendously on them.

I know they still have a lot of cinematic experiences and are simply betting on both...but putting so much hope on a single strategy and business model for their Gaas titles won't be that great. It's already backfiring considering they are putting TLOU online on hold due to a Bungie advice, lmao.

Draugoth

Gold Member
The modern landscape of gaming is already a microtransaction hell;

Overwatch 2: Completely ditched it's promissed PvE after 2 years to sell $40 cosmetic packs every week.
Diablo IV: Sells $25 transmogs on the shop
Halo Infinite: The only thing that works in the game is the microtransaction shop
Fortnite: Started this whole Battle Pass trend buillshit
Modern Warfare 2: Selling skin packs from dozens of different sponsorships, besides Battle Pass and cosmetic packs.
GTA Online: Literally removing content that was already in-game to sell as microtransactions
Red Dead Online: Multiplayer updates killed because not enough people were buying in-game gold.

Last edited:

Freeman76

Bungie are the scum of gaming as far as I'm concerned. I would feel dirty playing this money grab. Such a shame as well because the game is decent, but I will never touch anything Bungie make ever again. I always thought it was Activision to blame, but somehow its gotten WORSE since Bungie went solo.

Yall really need to stop playing this garbage ass game. I feel like Bungie has wasted 10 years of dev on this and the reason being is because yall keep playing this mess.

I wish they would charge you $100 just for logging into Destiny because you deserve it. I hope they keep monetizing the living bejesus out of it until people wake the fuck up. Good day.
Amen.

Mr Moose

494ki5.jpg

One of Destiny 2’s biggest problems is that they make it way easier to find out how to purchase stuff, than to find out how to best effectively play the game, for new players. Instead you’re met with constant confusion and not knowing critical features of the game.

The one thing I’ll give other live service games, especially the RPG kind, is that they’ve usually made sure to make the leveling and gear experience as clear as possible so that you’re having a good enough time as a new player to want to stick around and purchase things more.

tmlDan

another thread about this?

If it doesnt change my game experience aka the main story idc tbh.

The only shitty paid content they added was the 40th anniversary content, which i hated but bought on sale for $7

Cosmetics are useless and not necessary and i can selectively buy them.

Last edited:

ProtoByte

It will, and it's the fault of everyone who continues to give Destiny oxygen. Why wouldn't Sony listen to Bungie? They only bought them because of the success they've been afforded by their players.

I definitely think so, didn’t they buy them out while stating they were experts in the live service model or some bullshit.

Roxkis_ii

I stopped playing Destiny 2 right before the Witch Queen expansion came out. I was thinking of hopping back in, but I caught that youtube video in the op and I think I'm cool on Destiny.

The monetization before the Witch queen was in a good spot, but it looks like greed took over. It's starting to look like you can't really trust any of these live service games anymore. They've gone to a game with a store front, to a store front with a game.

Codes 208

Sony saw all of that and said” we want you” 😂
moneymaking is definitely part of it, but id wager that they wanted their own halo killer and whats a better developer to kill halo than the company that made it?

Plot twist: the irony however is that the thing that killed halo was halo

MirageMew2

D1 and year 1 D2 were genuinely magical experiences so it’s sad to see what’s become of the game. Every time I get a crucible itch and reinstall I immediately regret it with how unrecognizable it looks.

Last edited:

Forsythia

Fuck Bungie, I'm never giving them money again after erasing content I paid for.

And all that bullshit about not wanting to make Halo for all of eternity. Well yeah, that's a valid issue, but then they go make the same bullshit space shooter again for the next 10 years. It's clear they saw dollar signs and that's all they're going for these days. What a shame.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Of course it will, that’s the plan. Why spend hundreds of millions of dollars on blockbuster single player game when a few cosmetic items will make them more money.

jcorb

Honestly a solid video, although obviously unfortunate. Destiny 1 was a brilliant game, but Destiny 2 feels like it struggled at every corner. I finally quit shortly after Shadowkeep dropped, which is a shame because the *gameplay* was phenomenal, but it started feeling like they didn't seem to have a clear direction or vision for the game. It's sad knowing that still seems to be the case. (was also slightly disconcerting to see the other guy, Datto, reacting to this video and seemingly trying to backpedal on his stance; just proof that developers have managed to erode good game design to such a degree that pay-to-win seems "normal")

Unlocking cool cosmetics is rewarding when it's tied to gameplay. But it feels like they've forgotten that, and instead taken to producing cosmetic content in lieu of gameplay.

Mechanically, in terms of game feel, visually, I think Destiny is still a series with incredible promise and potential. But pretty much everything since Destiny 2's announcement feels like they were getting further and further off track. The best iteration of Destiny remains the first game in its post-Rise of Iron state, where all of the content remains relevant and rewarding (even if Eververse began there). It's concerning the mention of people being locked out of their previous purchases, though, even in the first game.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I watched this and it shocked me how it really was a slippery slope.

It feels so planned to do it by a thousand cuts. I think I’ll probably quit after all my season passes are done.

Nydius

I can pinpoint the exact moment my interest in Destiny did a complete 180 degree turn. It was when they went from Game + Annual Expansion to Game + Annual Expansion + Quarterly Paid Content + Battle Pass. The constant expansion of Eververse and content vaulting was just icing on the shit cake.

Monetization and manipulating people through FOMO engagement became the primary focus over the game itself.

Adam_802

I got burned by Destiny 1 back when it launched in 2013 and never played the game or IP ever again. I know the game changed a lot since then but I honestly feel like I dodged a bullet. Glad Bungie is making something new with Marathon, but ofc even that is now a MP extraction shooter.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
The industry isn't taking notes from Destiny. The industry is taking notes from Fortnite, Minecraft, League of Legends and Roblox.

A Destiny developer gave a talk at GDC sometime in the last 5 years saying something along the lines of "We see the top games in our field and we're a bit jealous we're not them." Destiny is a Frankenstein game that obviously has huge onboarding issues. There's no way they're repeating those mistakes.

Darchaos

I will log on and do my weekly story quest, i will buy Final shape and then i will say goodbye to Destiny. I hope Bungo has some heart and lets Destiny die after final shape(i know that they wont), let it go with some dignity left and memories for a lifetime.

Destiny will always have a spot in my heart, to see what it is today, it hurts.

Last edited:

Hudo

I am so fucking upset that they gonna abuse Marathon to make a fucking extraction shooter. Fuck you, Bungie.

GHG

I'd like to extend this sentiment to all multiplayer focused GAAS games.

There's a generation of digital crackheads out there and they don't even know it.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I always find it weird to see paypigs complaining about how the devs (like Blizzard and Bungie) treat you, like, well, a paypig. It's not going to change, the entire corporation is dependent on that revenue stream. They're going to all of the sudden try to wring less money from you. That's not the way it works. Your only option is to walk away.

As for whether or not other Sony games will act like this, of course they will. This is the entire point of making a service game.

Last edited:

Zoloft

Banned
The modern landscape of gaming is already a microtransaction hell;

Overwatch 2: Completely ditched it's promissed PvE after 2 years to sell $40 cosmetic packs every week.
Diablo IV: Sells $25 transmogs on the shop
Halo Infinite: The only thing that works in the game is the microtransaction shop
Fortnite: Started this whole Battle Pass trend buillshit
Modern Warfare 2: Selling skin packs from dozens of different sponsorships, besides Battle Pass and cosmetic packs.
GTA Online: Literally removing content that was already in-game to sell as microtransactions
Red Dead Online: Multiplayer updates killed because not enough people were buying in-game gold.
Valve started all this battle pass shit

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member

35dKfV5.jpg

Never before has a first post been so on point that it can shut the entire thread down if people were sensible. There is no more to be said.

The games shit, the company is shit and you deserve all you get.

You silly wallet you. And if you're not a wallet, you're dirt to these people.

Just stop it. It's silly.

Top Bottom