• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Or Alive May Be Getting Rebooted

MrMephistoX

Hopefully, they'll don't censor the game, we don't need every fighting game to be modern day fgc esports friendly.

"I work for Dick Jones. DICK JONES!"
There are weeks where my entire head monologue is nothing but random Robocop quotes. “Can you fly Bobby?” is a question I ask of anyone I meet named Bobby IRL.

intbal

Updated for Modern Audiences

2OB7es6.jpg

SSfox

Hopefully they do it right. DOA3 was the last great DOA game to me. Even tho gotta give some credits to DOA4 that introduced very interesting newcomers.

unless Sega or Koei can come up with something better, it's the only 3d fighting franchise we need. DOA and Virtua Fighter never managed to stack up and there are better hentai games out there if you want to see boobs bounce. i doubt there will be any 3d fighter ever better than Tekken
the resources going into rebooting this could be better spent rebooting ninja gaiden and making it as fun and as good as possible
I’m a huge Tekken fan, but it really needs serious competition in the 3D world. Just having Tekken as good as it is gets boring. It would be like the only open world games that are needed are GTA. DOA is actually a really good fighter, but most gamers don’t give it a chance and assume it’s not a legitimate fighter sadly. Not sure why most gamers don’t give Virtua Fighter a chance either. Maybe the art style doesn’t appeal to them or it’s not real flashy or something?

Last edited:
I have my doubts about them rebooting DOA or even Ninja Gaiden, but hopefully they’ll do it justice if they do and won’t fall into the “modern audience” trap so many companies are seemingly obsessed with. I’m thinking Ninja Gaiden might get rebooted faster than DOA, but I’m really, really hoping it won’t get outsourced to some “outside” company that can’t barely make a competent combat engine. Ninja Gaiden’s combat and action imo is still in a class of its own.

Last edited:
Not unless they outsource it to a western dev: waifus are still Alive and well in the land of the rising sun for better or worse. I’m hoping for Virtua Fighter character DLC again since that’s probably the only way we’re getting new VF content.
Sega apparently has a presence at EVO Japan next year. Since VF5 Ultimate Showdown/Esports is gonna be there as a mainline game.

People are speculating that they might announce something new for Virtua Fighter.

Melon Husk

DOA was always the fun one to play and I do mean fun gameplay-wise. Tekken was fun but too deep for casual players.

Good, both Dead or Alive and Ninja Gaiden need a reboot. I imagine they will have the stories loosely connected too with Ryu being a fighter, and leading his own action game.

By reboot, I hope that means starting over from scratch with the story -especially for Dead or Alive. The tournament stuff, DOAtec and all are just junk, and they wasted a whole lotta money on a lame story mode for DOA6. Also, they need a STRONG VISION for the game. If the director wants brutal action, have the stubborn will to see it through. Ignore the noise from critics, fans, all of them. Create a product you can believe in, and then put it to market and the audience will respond well if they enjoy it. Not all feedback is good feedback. Think critically and figure out what works and what doesn't

DOA 6 was a PR disaster with Shimbori trying to pander to too many different bases, ticking off all of them, and trying to make last minute changes to the game mere months before release. If Dead or Alive is going to remain a 'M' rated title, take advantage of it. It doesn't need to be Mortal Kombat, but it should be a step harsher than Tekken and Street Fighter if they're going to have their game tagged that way. If they want to go the sexy route, they'll need to craft the most beautiful women they can create and take full advantage of the hardware they're given. Turn the horny audience on. If budget is limited, keep the money focused on things people actually care about, like game-play, characters, game modes/variety, and that like. Don't waste it on a terrible story mode like DOA 6 did. They're other ways to make your characters attractive and appealing besides cutscenes. Kasumi is a terrible mascot. Both her character, history, and story are boring and un-interesting. Her clone, Phase-4, was way more interesting in comparison. Start from the beginning and rewrite this character completely if she's going to remain the face of this series, or create a new character to carry the title forward. Also, get rid of Marie Rose and Honoka, or grow them up. Seriously, I liked Marie at first because she was ticking off the right people, but her and Honoka being involved in the lore and story just brings the whole thing down. They're joke characters. Unless a DoA reboot is gonna embrace being a full comedy, keep them out or redesign and mature them. Or grow Marie up a tad and pair her with Zack. They'd make a better comic pair than Marie and Helena, or worse, Marie and Honoka together.

No fighter embraces destructive environments and interactivity the way DoA does. I want the series to embrace its unique qualities, and come back strong. The STAGES should have just as much focus as the characters. I never liked how all the ladies have massive busts, so I won't be one of those people crying if they decide to redesign some of the ladies to look a little more realistic (but still feminine of course), but I think the best choice would probably be to just give us all new characters with body shape variety (Male and Female) and new fighting styles.

Last edited:

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
I had to import that volleyball game from HK or something last time because muslims and christians hate boobies.

• Empathy
Reactions: Fuz

Isa

In my experience casuals enjoy Tekken way more than DOA
Seriously, since the PS1 days I've seen so many people button mash and have a good time. Yet despite the better graphics and animations many of them would be put off by a skilled player who learned counters and grapple combos in DOA. God I love it haha! The rock paper scissors high-mid-low system is among my most favorites in any game ever.

This news lately scares me, stray to much from the roots of the franchise and its no longer the same. Most fighters have ridiculously stupid stories but DOA was always at least interesting to me. Apart from the pretty ladies and modded bodies from the last game, which I do enjoy the combat flow and options, I'm worried about the removal of characters. I can't stand when games have a fantastic roster and then they ditch it for some small list. They've built up a nice stable of fighters whose move sets I know by heart, and I love having options.

My main complaints about 6 are the severe lack of stages and stage progression, something the series is well known for. There is a paltry list of places to fight. Another is the horrible grind fest for costumes. The next was the reselling of previously owned outfits and the censorship and removal of others. They got too greedy(something I paid into) and tried to take their customers for a ride with bad practices. They need to stand by what the series is known for and double down on it. I'm honestly a little worried by the news tbh, for both NG and DOA. I'll be there day f'ing 1 is the series and customer is respected. Also bring back the Volleyball.

Also love the Rumble Roses mentions in the thread, so glad its on back compat. I wish Konami would give it another shot.

unless Sega or Koei can come up with something better, it's the only 3d fighting franchise we need. DOA and Virtua Fighter never managed to stack up and there are better hentai games out there if you want to see boobs bounce. i doubt there will be any 3d fighter ever better than Tekken
the resources going into rebooting this could be better spent rebooting ninja gaiden and making it as fun and as good as possible
Tekken 7 is a steaming turd. PS2 and PS3 era 3D fighters shit on it from a great height. Even Virtua Fighter 3 on the Dreamcast (notably downgraded) curb stomps it. Only 3D fighter it can stand against is Soul Calibur VI and only because that game's Reversal Edge mechanic is genuinely idiotic.

Last edited:
Notice they say reboot, instead of DOA 7. Wonder how much they're gonna change? Will they make fundamental changes to the gameplay? Will they source it to another dev?

In my experience casuals enjoy Tekken way more than DOA
Second that. I think in Tekken it's easier to just spam. DoA and VF are more "rigid".
True. However I think it's more than that. I think it's got a big deal to do with "personality" as well. Tekken has a lot of flashy effects, and characters have larger than life personalities. Iconic outfits. DOA has... lots of boobs.

In actuality DOA has unparalleled animation and blending, just look at their respective takes on Drunken Master and Bruce Lee to see how much more fluid DOA is at the flow of animation. But I guess that doesn't translate into any real world success.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Elaborating on Yasuda’s comments in English, Team Ninja told VGC it had no specific details or information to share on its future plans for the series.

“Dead or Alive and Ninja Gaiden are both long-standing pillar franchises for Team Ninja. These celebrated titles are synonymous with our studio history and reputation,” creative director Tom Lee told VGC.

“It goes without saying that when speaking about the development of our past and future projects, both of these important titles cannot be left without mention. However, there are no details or information to share on either of these franchises at this present time.

“Like many of our dedicated fans, we share the enthusiasm for the return of these beloved titles. And we will be sure to provide a proper update (if and) when that day arrives.”

Top Bottom